Krishna and Kalyavan and new name...

Posted: 12 years ago
    Jai Dwakadheesh..
    Jai Shri Krishna...

Kalyavan was a king, who wanted to conquer Mathura. Realizing that Mathura was no longer a safe place to live, Sri Krishna shifted the whole population of Mathura to Dwarka and went to fight Kalyavan.

Kalyavan performed severe penances and obtained a boon from Shiv that he could not be killed by a Yadav. Then with a fierce army he attacked the Yadavs.

Krishna, knowing that he could not kill Kalyavan because of Shiv's boon, decided to use deceit. *When Kalyavan came after him, he pretended fear and ran away from the battle-field. Kalyavan followed him. Krishna kept running and Kalyavan was after him..Krishna had kept such distance that Kalyavan kept running after him thinking that he will grab Krishna within few seconds..but who can grab or hold the Supreme Lord Krishna..this was his maya and he was playing with Kalyavan...Jarasandh and Kalyavan laughed at Krishna when he started running, they called him coward..they thought that Krishna is scared of them seeing their huge army...so Krishna got a new name here ..''Ranchhod" it means the one who run away from battlefield or one who leaves the battlefield...😊but Krishna had decided how to kill Kalyavan..this was his Leela..πŸ‘

Krishna ran into a cave, where king Muchukund was sleeping. 
    Kalyavan came running after him and mistaking the sleeping form of Muchukund for Krishna, kicked him.
    Muchukund woke from his sleep, and in accordance with a boon he had received from Indra, when he looked at Kalyavan, the latter was burnt to ashes.
  • Krishna is known as Ranchhod das..and in Gujarat this name is very popular..Ranchhod das..😊
Edited by set_raj - 12 years ago
Wasn't Kalyavan a Yavana?  From what I recall, the thing about them is that Shastric dharm didn't apply to them, and so it's unlikely that they would be getting such boons.  Besides, the Yadavas weren't that powerful anyway that one would have needed a supreme boon - Kamsa was a vassal of Jarasandha, so it's not like Mathura was a state like Hastinapur or Magadha that looked like conquering other kingdoms.
Originally posted by _Vrish_

Wasn't Kalyavan a Yavana?  From what I recall, the thing about them is that Shastric dharm didn't apply to them, and so it's unlikely that they would be getting such boons.  Besides, the Yadavas weren't that powerful anyway that one would have needed a supreme boon - Kamsa was a vassal of Jarasandha, so it's not like Mathura was a state like Hastinapur or Magadha that looked like conquering other kingdoms.
Actually in Shrimadh Bhagvad it is mentioned that Kalyavan was a Yavana..and whereas in other books it is mentioned that he had a boon..which I also find rather confusing...Yadavas were powerful cos of Shri Krishna and later during Ugrasen's rule Krishna and Balraam won so many battles and they killed so many demons and tyrant rulers...Yadavas grew stronger leap and bounds..all cos of Krishna..and this was the main reason also of Krishna to see all Yadavas are destroyed before going to his Abode as he knew later these Yadavas can become arrogant and tyrant cos of power..
thanks brother for this story of Lord Krishna and Kalywan.
Originally posted by set_raj

Actually in Shrimadh Bhagvad it is mentioned that Kalyavan was a Yavana..and whereas in other books it is mentioned that he had a boon..which I also find rather confusing...Yadavas were powerful cos of Shri Krishna and later during Ugrasen's rule Krishna and Balraam won so many battles and they killed so many demons and tyrant rulers...Yadavas grew stronger leap and bounds..all cos of Krishna..and this was the main reason also of Krishna to see all Yadavas are destroyed before going to his Abode as he knew later these Yadavas can become arrogant and tyrant cos of power..

My point was that at the time Kalyavan would have received such a boon, the Yadavas were Mathura based and rather weak.  Nobody would be doing yagnas or tapasya to get boons to defeat them!  Yeah, later on, due to the successes of Krishna & Balarama and the introduction of new warriors like Pradhyumna, Satyaki, Charudeshna, et al, they became as powerful as the Kurus.  But that was not the case at the time Kalyavan would have made his request.

And if he was a Yavana, there is no way he could have gotten boons from Shiva or Brahma, since vedic meditation and scriptural info would have been alien to him.
Thanks a lot Raj ..
just few days back i was mentioning about u in this forum .. and here u r .. long life πŸ˜‰
Love to read it
Edited by ...PARiNA... - 12 years ago
@ set_raj:
    thanx 4 d info..d 1st tym tym heard d name Ranchod Das was in 3 Idiots ..2day i got it's meaning also..thanx !! πŸ˜ƒ
thanks a lot raj bro for the infoπŸ€—

yeah.. i live in Gujarat... and ur absolutely rite bro..!
Lord Krishna is known 'Ranchodrai or Ranchoddas here in gujarat particularly in Dakor where we have a Ranchodrai temple...!😊

Originally posted by -Swetha-

thanks a lot raj bro for the infoπŸ€—

yeah.. i live in Gujarat... and ur absolutely rite bro..!
Lord Krishna is known 'Ranchodrai or Ranchoddas here in gujarat particularly in Dakor where we have a Ranchodrai temple...!😊

Ur welcome sister..
I am surprised why they havent mentioned in the serial..actually they should mention in every episode in brief so that the viewers understand the true meaning behind those leelas..😊
Originally posted by set_raj

Ur welcome sister..
I am surprised why they havent mentioned in the serial..actually they should mention in every episode in brief so that the viewers understand the true meaning behind those leelas..😊
True, in Dakore he is Ranchodrai & in Dwarka, he is Dwarkadheesh. His different leelas have earned him different names, it's great to see & understand about them. 😊