07/19/2011: Ill omens as Sishupala's allies arrive

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Krishna opens Rukmini's letter & reads it.  In it, she praises him and states that she desires him for her husband, but that her brother Rukmi has bethrothed her to Chedi ruler Sishupal.  She tells him that b4 it comes to that, she'd either enter the fire or pray for the earth to split up.  She then describes to him how to rescue her.  She asks him to come to her kuldevi temple tomorrow, and abduct her after her puja.  The devas are observing all this from above, and Indra & Narad have a conversation about it.  Indra is curious about how it will go on.

In Vidarbha, Jarasandha's allies arrive - Shalva, Dantavatra and Viduratha (brother of Dantavatra).  They are welcomed by Sishupal, Rukmi & Jarasandh.  All congratulate him on his engagement, but Sishupala expresses his concern that Krishna might come and steal his bride.  Jarasandha tells him that he's happy that he's his adopted ward, or else he'd have killed him then & there.  He accuses Sishupala of doubting his might, and ability to stop Krishna.

Rukmi holds a session w/ his top generals and orders that all exit points from the city be sealed.  He tells them that if any of them can bring him Krishna's head, he'll promote him to commander in chief, but if Krishna gets away w/ Rukmini, all their families would be wiped out 😑 In short, he had very generous rewards for success, but cruel punishments for failure.

Sishupala is doing a puja, and his priest gives him a sword which he states represents the honor of his dynasty.  He tells him not to let the sword, among other things, fall on the ground, or else it will bode ill for him.

At the court later, one of Sishupala's attendents hands him that sword, but accidentally drops it 😡  Sishupala is furious @ that and kicks him, and raises his sword to slay him.  However, Jarasandha stops him 😲 and asks him not to sully his hand w/ the blood of that weakling.  Shalva & Dantavatra assure him that no ill omens can befall him due to their combined might.

Later, Sishupala comes to the capital to a welcome by Rukmi, and is greeted by a priest w/ a diya thali.  The diyas go off while the priest is doing his varan, and Sishupala gets upset.  Jarasandha however mollifies him.

Back @ Dwarka, Krishna picks up his flute to play it, but is unable to.  His mind is full of what Rukmini had written, and for the first time, he looks rather tense.  The episode ends on his face.

Precap:

Krishna asks his charioteer to take him to Kundinpur so that they arrive the next morning.
Edited by _Vrish_ - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Good episode.  Only that I wish they had hired more regal looking actors to play Shalva, Dantavatra and the other ruler (didn't hear his name b4 - but they could have used Purandara Vasudeva instead).  These 3 looked like Rakshasha warriors from the AS Ramayan πŸ˜†

I didn't know that Rukmini gave Krishna the plan for how to abduct her - all she did was ask him to rescue her.  That detail was strange.  Also, the Indra they used here looked much worse than that in other serials, like the AS Ramayan.  They should consider re-using Adi Pachori as Shiva, the same Indra & Kubera, and maybe some others.

Given how Jarasandha had killed one of his own soldiers just to display his strength, I was surprised that he prevented Sishupal from killing a more 'guilty' man who had caused this ill omen.  But I did like the dramatization of the ill omens.

From the precap, it looks like it'll be true to the original, and Krishna will leave alone for Vidarbha, and Balaram will follow.

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Vrish,

Rukmini indeed informs Krishna how to 'kidnap' her ref SB 10:52:41,42

I reproduce the English translation as provided by Srila Prabhupada 

Verse 41:

svo bhavini tvam ajitodvahane vidarbhan

gupta? sametya p?tana-patibhi? parita?

nirmathya caidya-magadhendra-bala? prasahya

ma? rak?asena vidhinodvaha virya-sulkam

O unconquerable one, tomorrow when my marriage ceremony is about to begin, You should arrive unseen in Vidarbha and surround Yourself with the leaders of Your army. Then crush the forces of caidya and Magadhendra and marry me in theRak?asa style, winning me with Your valor.

Verse 42

anta?-purantara-carim anihatya bandhun

tvam udvahe katham iti pravadamy upayam

purve-dyur asti mahati kula-deva-yatra

yasya? bahir nava-vadhur girijam upeyat

Since I will be staying within the inner chambers of the palace, You may wonder, "How can I carry you away without killing some of your relatives?" But I shall tell You a way: On the day before the marriage there is a grand procession to honor the royal family's deity, and in this procession the new bride goes outside the city to visit Goddess Girija.

This is one of the sweetest passages... Rukmini, every inch a royal princess was not a stranger to palace intrigues and schemes. She was as clever, if not cleverer than her brother/s...Look at the beauty and innocence of the lines... She admits that Krishna is Supreme, the dust of whose feet is hankered by even Shiva, yet she could not resist to advise Him on the most viable plan of action...

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Just trying to add a bit of detail here 😊, along with the summary by Vrish- Narada explained to Devraaj Indra that- Rukmini is 'Jeevaatama' and Krishna is the 'Paramaatma',  Rukmi and his allies like Jarasandh etc are  5 senses, whom one has to supersede to reach the Lord. If one tries sincerely then only he/ she can attain the Paratmaatma- this was ROUGHLY the explanation as I can remember. (Members, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong here, as I have a really poor memory πŸ˜†)

Yes Vrish, I am totally agreeing about the 'look' of the actors... They should be careful while selecting the actors... 

Varaali, really nice to read the quoted part from SB, indeed it was Complete Surrender by Rukmini.

One thing I want to point out is that the Music of the show is So Loud  πŸ˜• that sometime it becomes quite tough to hear the dialogues clearly πŸ˜”. Yesterday it hapened again when Krishna was reading Rukmini's letter. The background music/song was like a disturbance πŸ˜”... we could barely hear what Ruikmini has to say .. The role of music is to Enhance the effect of the scene, not to distract  the attention of the audience from the ongoing events... 
Vr15h thumbnail
Debipriya

I generally have this same complaint about most serials about the music being too loud, while the conversations are too hushed.  I have to increase the TV volume to hear what the characters are saying, and then the music suddenly starts, and is too loud for my liking.

I really wish they'd eliminate music when conversations are going on, b'cos it's really annoying and distracting - no matter how melodic the tune itself may be.  If that's so hard, just get rid of the music, except for the intro/conclusion.

I didn't follow Indra's & Narad's conversation - your account of it was correct.  I understand what Narad is saying, but equating Jarasandha, Rukmi, Sishupala, Shalva & Dantavatra to the 5 senses is really... senseless πŸ€ͺ

My problem was not so much the actors selected, but more so the make-up & costumes.  First of all, the crowns - all royalty wore them, not just Krishna & Bheeshmaka.  After that, the costimes that Jarasandha wore looked more ancient Greek than Aryavarta.  And the tunics that Sishupala, Rukmi and others were wearing made no sense whatsoever given the period.

If they can get Krishna's costume right, why not the others?  All they have to do is copy the same style, and maybe vary the colors for easier identification.

Oh, and one more thing - they never showed which one was Shalva, which one was Dantavatra, since Sishupala never addressed any of them by name.  They ought to have done that at least. πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

@ Vrish, they should get better actors to play such roles, atleast Indra,he will be shown many times. Even BG can be better to create more effect, as we are watching The Krishna & his life. If they pay more attention on post production, effect will be better.
The episode was good, different pov for the same incident. Indra admitted he is agyani to get the inner true meaning of Krishna reading Rukmani's letter.Ultimately aatma has to unite with parmaatma.
Shishupal is angry seeing bad omens while leaving for the marriage. Even today before leaving for the wedding both girl's & boy's side, they arrange some good omen coming their way eg a young girl, even a sweeper sweeping coming in their way is considered auspicious.
Krishna is all set to reach Girija temple before morning, waiting to see one of the most imp. events of Dwarkadheesh's life.
Thanks for the update😊 
Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Vrish_

I didn't follow Indra's & Narad's conversation - your account of it was correct.  I understand what Narad is saying, but equating Jarasandha, Rukmi, Sishupala, Shalva & Dantavatra to the 5 senses is really... senseless πŸ€ͺ

Don't know what was the source of that explanation, whether it is there in any scripture or not πŸ˜•...

My problem was not so much the actors selected, but more so the make-up & costumes.  First of all, the crowns - all royalty wore them, not just Krishna & Bheeshmaka.  After that, the costimes that Jarasandha wore looked more ancient Greek than Aryavarta.  And the tunics that Sishupala, Rukmi and others were wearing made no sense whatsoever given the period.

If they can get Krishna's costume right, why not the others?  All they have to do is copy the same style, and maybe vary the colors for easier identification.

Yes, costumes has been a problem area of this show from the beginning (remember Balram's head gear πŸ˜†). It seems that they haven't paid much attention to the costumes of all the characters except Krishna, which is the only perfect one... 

I was refering to the actors, yes...  You know Shishupal was not looking THAT BAD πŸ˜ƒ as he should have been, actually he has a nice appearance πŸ˜†... (my personal opinion 😊)

And one more point, why are all the characters (including the villains 😲) talking about Krishna all the time?? πŸ˜• It seems as if they already know that Krishna is coming to Kundinpura to take Rukmini away πŸ˜†... Jarasandh once mentioned it also in yesterday's episode... I was really surprised to hear that...
Edited by Debipriya - 12 years ago
lakshmi42 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thanks for the update Vrish. I will comment after watching the episode😊
Roark thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks for the update Vrish. I am travelling and have hardly been able to watch the episodes or the webisodes of them.

But yes, Rukmini very clearly gives the guidance to krishna. Vaarali is bang on. But even Amar chitra Katha if I am not mistaken makes a mention of this. He whisks her away from the kuldevi temple when all those from Shishupala's side who were to guard her were lost in her beauty.

Vaarali, hats off to you man/woman. I am not sure which one. Dont mistake me. I know for sure Vrish is a man. You and Vrish are very very knowledgeable and I salute both your knowledge. It definitely helps a lot of us.

But on costumes, I agree with Vrish, I see more of hector, Achilles, agamemenon and other warriors in their costumes and head bands. And not the costumes described by scholars of those age relating to Krishna. And music or horrible background many a time have spoilt the effect.

Shishupala was always in fear of Krishna. He infact pleaded with the rest to help him marry Rukmini. this is also a fact. It was this insult which instigated him to insult krishna and his 101st mistake which cost Shishupala's death.

I hope to catch up today's episode atleast.

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Vinuchand,

Thank you very much. Please don't salute me- All the salutations should go the saints / scholars / gurus who have helped us understand these texts better.

And yes, among the two genders which God created, I belong to the better oneπŸ˜› . So figure it out...Ha Ha