Posted: 12 years ago

The Name Is Kaif. Katrina Kaif

Saturday 30th July 2011 10.30 IST

Guest Column - Shailesh Kapoor

Rekha was the reigning queen of the 80s went onto rule the later part of that decade. And then, Madhuri Dixit took over the baton in the early 90s, to emerge as arguably the biggest ever female star of Hindi cinema. Once Ms. Dixit became Ms. Nene and moved away from the limelight, the crown for the no. 1 heroine was up for grabs again.

It has been more than a decade since, and there has been no obvious claimant for the same. Kajol, Rani Mukerji and Preity Zinta threatened to grab the coveted crown, but never managed to stake their claim decisively. Subsequently, all three have moved past their prime, and the crown has to look at the younger lot in the quest to find its next winner.

So, who is the best actress in India today? Ask any director or producer in Bollywood and you are likely to get Kareena Kapoor or Priyanka Chopra as the answer, with Anushka Sharma being the new kid on the block everyone is excited about.

Wait. How about asking the audience – the people who pay for their movie tickets and hence shape the box office destiny of films? Over the last eight months, we have been tracking star popularity for male and female actors, through our product called Stars India Loves. Month after month, the results have re-affirmed that the answer to the question above is unequivocal – Katrina Kaif.

Katrina is one of the two most favorite actresses for 49% of 17,000 cine-goers interviewed over the last eight months. Next on the list are Aishwarya Rai with 24%, Kareena Kapoor with 18%, Kajol with 17% and Priyanka Chopra with 16%.

Contrast this to the now well-established no. 1 position of Salman Khan amongst the male stars. Salman leads with 42% audiences voting for him as one of their two most favorite male stars, followed by Shahrukh at 30%, Aamir at 23% and Akshay Kumar at 21%. Evidently, the gap between Katrina and her nearest competitor is more than double the gap between Salman and SRK. Such is the dominance of Katrina Kaif today!

We have shared this data with several producers and directors over the last few months. The response is a consistent: "You can't be serious! Katrina can't act!! "I've personally heard this line so often I'm now immune to the very sound of it.

But the young generation that frequents the theatres believes that what Katrina does is indeed "good acting." She has screen presence. She is a great looker and has immense confidence to back her looks. She chooses her roles carefully, and then delivers pitch perfect performances in them. Most importantly, she has a personality that connects with the upbeat mood of today's youth. She may not have a No One Killed Jessica or a Fashion to her credit yet, but her audiences are certainly not complaining.

Last year, in an exit poll conducted by us, Katrina's work was rated as the most liked performance in the multi-starrer Raajneeti, ahead of Ranbir Kapoor, Arjun Rampal, Ajay Devgan and everyone else. In Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara too, she manages to add value to an essentially male-dominated film, lighting up several sequences with her charming presence.

Why the film industry looks at Katrina's success with so much skepticism has often perplexed me. As far as the consumer is concerned, the 27-year old actress has already taken undisputed ownership of the crown that was forever changing hands for a decade. With several coveted films in the pipeline, including a smoking hot role in Mere Brother Ki Dulhan and an item number appearance in Bodyguard, her stronghold on the crown is only likely to increase.

So, let's welcome the new leader. She is here to stay. For a while.

Shailesh Kapoor is the Co-founder & CEO of Ormax Media, a media research firm specializing in film research

http://boxofficeindia.com/npages.php?page=shownews&articleid=3258&nCat=news

This article has nailed it, I believe. 
Plus, it says almost everything I've read about Katrina Kaif and her popularity/success here on I-F. πŸ˜†
yep...bang on...

Even im immune to the "kat cant act" statement...

Have ya seen how successful the lady is??? 

waise bhi actresses, no matter how well they act dunt last beyond 35...virginal good looks is the criteria for any female actor's popularity...barring kajol, who like someone said, got connections and a hit pairing with srk to climb up the charts...
Edited by smartie_pants - 12 years ago
Katrina can't act. I'll always say this πŸ˜†
I don't care who else pays to watch the movies she acts in, I don't and that's all I am concerned aboutπŸ˜†
lol everyone can still say da "she cant act" thing...it dsnt make a differnce to her or her popularity in India
90% of da ppl i know love Kat !! her hits say it all πŸ˜›
whatever.. but she managed to make he like her anyhow..

like kareena orpriyanka did by their movies..

and 90s.. thats soemthing else.. those were the heroines who were the best
Who cares if she can act or not when she has popularity like this! Go Kat! πŸ‘

Originally posted by -Nemo-

Ash survived beyond her 20s due to the Bachchan tag.

If Bachchan tag can help you stay at the top, I don't understand why Abhishek is considered a failure?

Aishwarya had been No.1 until 34, when she got married (and a couple of years later Katrina emerged No.1).

Even today, as the list says, Ash is No.2 (which for a 38 year old actress who has been married for more than four years is quite a feat). We shall see if 27 year old Katrina will manage to remain No.2 by the time she reaches Ash's age. πŸ˜‰

bond. james bondπŸ˜†

btw congrats KatπŸ‘

Her name is Kaif & she's definitely not unsuccessful.