Are TV Serials trivializing Women ??

Posted: 12 years ago
I strongly feel that most of the serials in the Indian Telly world are trivializing social issues and more so women as a matter of fact...they are merely shown as vamps or some kind of a naive girl whose quite dumb...is this right ?? 

The education factor is side lined and the hardship a woman has to undergo is also not taken into account...On another note, certain sitcoms start on a serious note and it feels like finally the Indian cinema is changing and people are voicing out their thoughts to the world...but in a matter of few days the main plot flies of the window and the age old drama and mere love story and bitching starts...in turn making woman more vulnerable and being seen as the weaker sex of the two...

Does anyone has any opinions to share ?? Would be pleased to see your take on it!

Edited by Escapist - 12 years ago
The Indian TV serials ...well 99% of them are a bunch of trash...not worth watching...

Not only do they trivialize women...but the indian culture ..the family system...the education system...everything is a joke...I sometimes flip through the channels and the kind of trash that is out there in form of these serials is mind boggling...what are they teaching the younger generation is really petrifying...🤢
Indian telly wood industry goes on TRPs aka Television Rating Point.Its totally based on this element. They start off with an amazing story. Fresh, sensible and sane. And when these shows do good and earns a lot of TRPs,the writers, script heads, directors exaggerate the story, butcher the characters and story, which leads to losing essence of the show. People get hooked with the fresh story shown before and watches the show like before to have a good ending. Like this, they earn TRPs.

Money can make the person go to every extent. And this is just a fictional show and characters.
I mean I am fed up of seeing Saas-Bahu serials. At least, show them respectfully rather than having those stupid effects which make no sense.
I agree its money that counts and the TRP ratings..but still when many a times we Indians ape west why can't we aspply it to this section of media ??

Y do we alwys have to u know...mock women and serials are the basic form of it...to me tis mere mocking... I mean temme who will have so many vamps in their life and so many twists n turns...why cant thy portray life in general ??

Theres no creativity as such or something meaningful in half of them...
yet ti earns so much of accolades its weird...

Maybe its a losing battle...or maybe this topic is only like this...
Edited by Escapist - 12 years ago
Soaps do tend to exaggerate a bit like in Desperate Housewives.
Oh no..desperate Housewives is a bit too much...it more on the sexuality side the feelings n emotions and everyone and then kissing n all...at least indian soaps are spared of those...and I'm not against kissing and all but hell I can imagine how it would be on indian telly wood...again some drama would be added to it...

Don't you think so ??

They don't just trivialize women, they trivialize India, Indian society and family. These soaps portray Indian families and society in the most exaggerated and ridiculous ways. People are shown being neurotic in their customs and beliefs, dead stupid in their trust of others or pure evil beyond belief. They completely lack sincerity and realism in their portrayals of all characters.

I won't blame the makers for it though. The problem lies in the audiences who completely lap up this nonsense and beg for more. Shows that are different or try to illustrate a point have very low ratings and cannot compete.  Yash Raj's shows on Sony were refreshing and no one was trivialized in these shows. However, they were eventually canned. Even shows that start off with a good concept are forced to take ridiculous turns to appeal to soap audiences or get canned.

Originally posted by Escapist

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Oh no..desperate Housewives is a bit too much...it more on the sexuality side the feelings n emotions and everyone and then kissing n all...at least indian soaps are spared of those...and I'm not against kissing and all but hell I can imagine how it would be on indian telly wood...again some drama would be added to it...

Don't you think so ??
</font>

The story lines in Desperate Housewives are ridiculous too since it is a comedy 😆

Indian TV does go to extremes too and the women are potrayed as jealous, evil and suspicious.

Originally posted by return_to_hades

They don't just trivialize women, they trivialize India, Indian society and family. These soaps portray Indian families and society in the most exaggerated and ridiculous ways. People are shown being neurotic in their customs and beliefs, dead stupid in their trust of others or pure evil beyond belief. They completely lack sincerity and realism in their portrayals of all characters.

I won't blame the makers for it though. The problem lies in the audiences who completely lap up this nonsense and beg for more. Shows that are different or try to illustrate a point have very low ratings and cannot compete.  Yash Raj's shows on Sony were refreshing and no one was trivialized in these shows. However, they were eventually canned. Even shows that start off with a good concept are forced to take ridiculous turns to appeal to soap audiences or get canned.

I agree to wat you have to say...but as an audience don't you think that the entertainment world has provided us with this portal of IF where we can voice out our opinion ?? I know majority in the audience are people who watch shows for mere fun but yet ain't it on us to change the mindset...its due to us that these shows are running and gaining TRP's ...

Or is it that the Indian audience is not really mature enough and they just fall for some cheap thrills...yes even agreed that there were some good shows but then they aren't in the limelight for long...in fact Indian cinema has drastically evolved since the past...but frankly what I feel is Doordarshan days were good...at least shows had morals if not morals they were smthng we cud watch as they were realistic...in fact now its just about the lead pair that young people care of and not really the story...what so ever ti might be...

Originally posted by Summer3

The story lines in Desperate Housewives are ridiculous too since it is a comedy 😆

Indian TV does go to extremes too and the women are potrayed as jealous, evil and suspicious.

Oh...I would happily follow DP it was smthng that one can relate to and even humorous...these shows are beyond my imaginations...culture religion love and family everything...they make a live mockery outta it all and the people love it that way...Democracy u see :P