Debate Mansion

Are TV Serials trivializing Women ?? - Page 2

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: Escapist

I agree to wat you have to say...but as an audience don't you think that the entertainment world has provided us with this portal of IF where we can voice out our opinion ?? I know majority in the audience are people who watch shows for mere fun but yet ain't it on us to change the mindset...its due to us that these shows are running and gaining TRP's ...

Or is it that the Indian audience is not really mature enough and they just fall for some cheap thrills...yes even agreed that there were some good shows but then they aren't in the limelight for long...in fact Indian cinema has drastically evolved since the past...but frankly what I feel is Doordarshan days were good...at least shows had morals if not morals they were smthng we cud watch as they were realistic...in fact now its just about the lead pair that young people care of and not really the story...what so ever ti might be...

IF was not provided by the entertainment industry. IF was created and is populated by patrons of the entertainment industry. The purpose was to discuss and share their love for the entertainment industry. Any potential for change and feedback is limited to the effect it has on bottom line, in this case TRP.

Television and cinema audience are two distinct target markets with some overlap. While cinema has changed to maturity, television has changed to pander to kitsch tastes. I won't say that the Indian audience is misguided or nave, this is what they want at this time. There was a phase when soaps were the center stage on western prime time before they were banished to the guilty pleasures of daytime. It is not just us, Latin culture is very much like hours where audiences are fixated with their telenovellas – the Spanish soaps. Basically, it is what the demand of the culture is. Change won't come until the target market that generates TRP changes.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AliceT thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Going by the history of TV industry, one would conclude that the serials were made to entertain the housewives while men used to go to  work in the olden days. The other purpose was to educate the masses and create awareness among them. Doordarshan was the ONLY channel that used to be telecasted with strong themes to awaken and at the same time entertain people.

Now the scenario has changed completely. With the coming up of so many channels the TV has literally become an idiot box. There are hardly any serials dealing with the social issues...in the end there's a mad-rush to gain TRP's and fame. It's the quantity that matters over quality. The serials are created with the above mentioned aim, there's hardly anything new or revolutionary in Indian soaps. Old wine is served in new bottles.

How can we ignore that the realistic part is something that leaves me baffled? Human-beings do not fall in the category of 'pure-white' or 'completely-black'. We all have both the shades i.e. we fall in the category of 'grey' shade. It cracks me up when I see a glimpse of these mindless serials. Either the 'bahu' is so damn obedient that you think of her as a heavenly being or she's a vamp-plotting and ruining the lives of people. Give the bahu's a break please. Why can't we break free the chains holding us back?

It would be good to see reality in form or serials on TV. You can say a bit polished, so that it can entertain us also. Issues like women empowerment, rape, education, literacy-rate of our nation, female foeticide, infanticide, corruption, land-problems, honor-killings, common-man's problems should be dealt actively on these serials.  Not only the problems but even the solutions to these problems should be shown. The audience will be more receptive toward these things than those love-stories and the bahu's/vamps of the mindless serials. This way even the stories cannot be dragged and we'll get to see new things with the passing of time.

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Generally the Evil Character is the Mother in Law. Could be true in most cases too, in real life especially if the MIL is beffer off or is much richer.

Women and women often do not get along as well as men and women perhaps.
Host.co.in thumbnail
Hmmm,,,, I think, They are just presenting all type of characters of a female but viewers better remember the your mentioned one.
Edited by Host.co.in - 12 years ago

Only bored DIL and MIL watch TV these days so the channels cater to their taste. Rest of the women are busy with their lives.

fantasy_evil96 thumbnail
It's actually pretty much a norm in many TV serials in most of Asian countries. In fact, the very fact how asian culture is distorted/made fun of by asian countries ourselves make things worse. 
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
I hate those crap daily soaps. What a waste of time they are, an idiotic track which can be finished within 1 minute is dragged till 1 year. All the craps shown are nonsense and stupid. CID is the best.
Cotillion thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Shruti_HR

I hate those crap daily soaps. What a waste of time they are, an idiotic track which can be finished within 1 minute is dragged till 1 year. All the craps shown are nonsense and stupid. CID is the best.

Almost every thing on tv is crap these days including CID and reality shows. The only thing i look forward to watch is prowrestling or maybe some english movie.