varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago

Disclaimer: The Sagars have distorted the most important fact in this story. Jambavanti has conveniently replaced Rukmini. I am so πŸ˜‘ πŸ˜‘ πŸ˜‘ .
If you can digest this gross misrepresentation, read on... 

tulasi amrta-janmasi sada tvam keshava-priya
keshavatam cinomi tvam varada bhava sobhane

Oh Mother Tulsi, on who is born out of nectar, you are always dear to Keshava. I am offering you to Keshava as worship, please bless me.

Scene begins with K being seated on a huge scale and Sb asking her servants to bring loads of jewels. SB announces that she will have K weighed in no time. Huge platters of jewels are being place on one end, but the scale does not budge an inch. Satyabhama is puzzled.πŸ˜•

She begins to remove all the jewellery from her person. Narada mentally asks K to have pity on SB and finish this leela. K answers that unless SB's pride is curbed and until she realizes that God cannot be bought by worldly objects, the game will continue. πŸ‘πŸΌ

SB, now bare necked, places the last of her remainig jewellry on the scale but no avail. Puzzlement turns to anger and finally  wisdom dawns on her. She rushes forward and on bent knees and folded hands pleads to K that she has understood his leela. She will henceforth not stake her sole claim on his love. Would he please forgive her and  himself find a way out of this predicament?  SB is all πŸ˜­ πŸ˜­

But SB still has a further lesson to be learnt. K calmly replies that he was never angry with her in the first place, why should she ask forgiveness from him. She should in fact approach those towards whom she had harboured feelings of jealously (indicating his other wives). SB, swallowing her pride and ego approaches Jambvanti and seeks her forgiveness. JV wipes her tears and asks SB to remove all the jewellery she had placed. JV then hands her a tulsi sprig and asks her to place it on the scale with complete devotion and surrender. SB does so and lo behold, the scale tilts in favour of the tulsi. Narada accepts the tulsi with great reverence. 

K sermonises to SB that how could she think of weighing him with ornaments and gold when devotion , love and surrender are a woman's true jewellery (something to that effect...)

SB seeks apology from all concerned.

K then faces the camera and gives some more gyan (for us-  janata) 

Sudama track introduced. Now again will Rukmin i be replaced? 
Edited by varaali - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
My thoughts on the episode

The episode was per se, not bad, even good in places... but one can't overlook the fact that the key player in this incident, Rukmini was replaced by Jambvanti which is a big big factual error. 

I know that people have had issues with Priya's acting but if we can put up with the the girl playing SB, then we should not be complaining about Priya. 

I had earlier described the Tulabharam  episode  here

And if the Sagars don't bring back Rukmini even in the Sudama track, the whole story of Sudama being showered with wealth will not make any sense.
Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Roark thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Vaarali what can i comment on the episode or Rukmini being replaced by Jambavathi.

I dont want to say anything now. I will come back.
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

Thanks for the update, this is for the effort you've put in writing something unacceptable.πŸ˜ƒ

If this was a fiction show, then things would have been different. With Rukmini Krishna's gyan would be more acceptable. Showing too much of SB can be injurious for the show's healthπŸ˜†
Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
The tulabharam episode does not enjoy scriptural sanctity. It is not mentioned in the Bhagavatham, certainly. I am not sure if it is described elsewhere. It is one of those stories which has become popular with several version to it, coloured by various regional interpretations.

Among the popular versions, all of Krishna's wives except Rukmini get perturbed and start offering their jewels as well. It is only Rukmini who, aware of Krishna's inherent divinity who is calm. Here Sagars showed all of K's wives being calm -except SB - as if all of them were as realized as Rukmini- which was not the case. 

Secondly it was Rukmini herself who after offering the Tulsi sprig at Krishna's feet places it on the scale. The aim was to show RUkmini's devotion and show how Rukmini's selfless love overcame SB's ego.

Here Jambavanti asks SB to do the same. It does not somehow convey the same meaning. Can SB get over her ego in a second- so much as to work a miracle? It spoils the beauty of the whole episode.
LeadNitrate thumbnail
i actually liked the episode, both the Sb and JV actresses do a good job, and if the sagars hadn't distorted everything we have read since childhood, yesterday episode could have been interesting.
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I couldn't watch the episode on Friday, will try to watch the repeat on Monday and write my opinion.

But for now, I am here with the same incident from RS SK for interested members, this is one of my most favourite part from RS SK, so could not resist myself from sharing it here 😳.  I hope members will bear with this post of mine 😳. My intention is never to compare the shows, but to share the same incidents from 'another work', so that the members( / devotees of the Lord) can also feel the Bliss by watching the Leela of the Lord again and again.  πŸ˜  πŸ˜  πŸ˜

Here is the beginning of the Yagna by Satyabhama, 

Satyabhama donates Shri Krishna:

Krishna playing the servant to Naradji and Naradji agrees to return Krishna with a condition:

Here is the actual 'tulabharam' part:

And here Devi Rukmini comes with the tulsi leaf :

The whole sequence has many wonderful songs with great lyrics, here is the complete lyrics of the whole 'Tulabharam' episode (the last post of the page, 'Krishna ji ko tolne'):

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I was out on Friday, but given that Imagine TV has chosen to abandon this show re-runs during weekends, I didn't get to watch it at all.  After reading the update, I don't regret missing it.

As vaarali mentioned, Rukmini herself put the tulsi leaf on the scale, as opposed to Jambavati giving it to Satyabhama to do, and also, all of Krishna's wives were nervous about it, as opposed to only Satyabhama in this story.

On one level, since this particular incident was more of a legend than something found either in SB or MB or DB, I wasn't too upset @ it being distorted - I've been angrier about Krishna's mocking Balarama or fleeing a battle scene w/o the context explained.  And as vaarali mentioned, if they don't bring back Rukmini, Sudama's story won't make much sense, since the Lakshmi avatar influence in these events is what counts.  If they really want to drop Rukmini altogether, then the suggestion by someone that they drop all his wives and just show him makes more sense.

But as Vik pointed out in the where is Rukmini thread, does that mean that in future, the Sagars can replace Arjun w/ Duryodhan or Bhima, or Bhima w/ Yudhisthir?  I agree that Sagar Pictures are demonstrating how ameteur they are in doing this, and a Krishna story/serial is not for the faint hearted of producers.  Even RS did a bad serial, despite covering just about everything (except Krishna's end) - towards the end, they were just coming apart.  Such a project should only be entered after long term agreements are signed w/ the cast.
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: _Vrish_

I agree that Sagar Pictures are demonstrating how ameteur they are in doing this, and a Krishna story/serial is not for the faint hearted of producers.  Even RS did a bad serial, despite covering just about everything (except Krishna's end) - towards the end, they were just coming apart.  Such a project should only be entered after long term agreements are signed w/ the cast.

Just wanna clarify that the former serial became a weak one only after RS ceased to do it 😳

But yes, I do agree that this error on its own did not bother me as much as their flawed characterization of Balram, Devaki, and even Krishna himself in earlier episodes. Neglecting a positive character is less disrespectful than misrepresenting him/her and giving them negative implications, IMO.

However, it does make it evident that the show has been put together quite hurriedly and clumsily - all of the cast should have been chosen in advance so we wouldn't see characters trickle in and out of an otherwise empty kingdom, they should have solid contracts so we see them whenever the story as we know it demands their presence, and really, they need to budget their time/screenplay pages better. There is no reason to spend a week on the fictional kidnapping of Satyabhama and condense the Garv Daman story for which she's so well known into a single error-ridden episode. If they are doing such a kaam-chalaao job and making decisions at the spur of the moment, why do the show at all?
Edited by lola610 - 12 years ago
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
The episode was good ⭐️ β­οΈ, in spite of changing  πŸ˜”  the popular storyline, (which they are doing constantly from the very beginning 😑, as already mentioned by all the members, I am not repeating all that).

The scenes were good ⭐️ β­οΈ, JV and SB were good in their performances πŸ‘ πŸ‘,  th'  I wanted more 'softness' on the face of SB after the 'Realisation' took place. She was talking like the 'same old SB'  even after the Lesson!!! πŸ˜•  But overall, the songs/ lyrics 😍 and the mssg 😍  😍 (along with Krishna's mssg to the audience 😍 πŸ˜ ) - all were really good!!! I liked to watch those scenes! β­οΈ. 

Now coming to Sudama track- the beginning is good! ⭐️  But here is SB again πŸ˜” with her 'direct speech delivery' πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ (my personal opinion 😊). I feel we needed more matured acting here to show the 'sympathy' on the face of the wife of Shri Krishna, which SB is not able to express properly thr' her acting (again my personal opinion 😊). May be JV would have been a better option, since Rukmini is nowhere in the scene  πŸ˜ƒ.  

But yes, I am expecting the production is reading all our posts and will improve their standard by correcting the mistakes in future episodes πŸ˜Š.

Edited by Debipriya - 12 years ago