• Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago
 tasyaiva me sauhrda-sakhya-maitri-
dasyam punar janmani janmani syat
mahanubhavena gunalayena
visajjatas tat-purusa-prasangah   

(Sudama's prayer of Gratitude  )

The Lord is the supremely compassionate reservoir of all transcendental qualities. Life after life may I serve Him with love, friendship and sympathy, and may I cultivate such firm attachment for Him by the precious association of His devotees.

Scene begins with Krishna and SB ( no Rukmini) watching Sudama's face on a giant LCD (or was it 3D?) screen in their room. ðŸ˜† Sudama is constantly murmuring Krishna's name. K says Sudma has been his devotee for the past many lives and in this life Sudama has been his best friend. 

SB- none the worse for the Tulabharam incident,- 😛 asks what does he do for a living? K replies that he is a jnani . Even when the whole world is asleep he is constantly jaaping his name-- Shots of Sudama moving his jaap mala are shown- while his four kids are patiently waiting for their meal.  His wife (Susheeela) comes with a pot and serves them rice- hardly a spoonful for each child. ðŸ˜­ ðŸ˜­ 

The kids finish their food and wrap up their banana  leaves ( very good kids- must show this shot to my kids ). Susheela is distraught to find that the pot is empty and there is no more food in the house. Sudama, blissfully oblivious, is in his own world. Susheela brings a Banana leaf and a pot of water. Sudama sits down for expectantly for his meal. Susheela, turning her tear streaked face, mutely offers him the pot of water. Susheela goes to the kitchen and breaks down.

K, begins his lecture-  At the dawn of creation two words had not come into existence-  wealthy and poor. As Mankind progressed, values started collapsing, soem became wealthy and some became poor. 

SB questions why couldn't he (K) remove their poverty? Or didn't he want to? K replies given a chance he would he will remove all their suffering. SB asks then why the delay? K replies that Sudama should also want the same. SB asks why wouldn't this poor starving man want his difficulties to go away? K replies that it is because Sudama knows he is reaping the fruits of his actions in past lives. No man can hope to gain mukti w/o reaping the actions of previous lives and Sudama was well aware of this unalterable fact. Sudama, unaffected by the problems afflicting him, is moving towards moksh.

Scene shifts to Sudama's hut. Sudama is pottering around int he kitchen. Amongst the half broken vessels is the pot in which Susheela had cooked rice that evening. A single grain of rice was sticking to the bottom. Sudama tears a small piece of banana leaf and breaks the grain into two halves. One half he places beside Susheela, who is pretending to be asleep and the the other half, he offers as neivedya to a small idol of Lakshmi Narayan on the the wall.  Krishna is overcome with emotion on seeing Sudama offer his share of half a grain to him (Krishna) Susheela also joins him and offers her half grain too.

Here in Dwaraka, Krishna finds two half grains in his palm. He offers one half to SB and requests her to accept it with love, but warns her that she would have to pay its price in future. SB gives an understanding smile and puts the grain in her mouth. K does the same. 

patram puspam phalam toyam
yo me bhaktya prayacchati
tad aham bhakty-upahrtam
asnami prayatatmanah

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, a fruit or water, I will accept it.

A very satisfied Krishna rubs his stomach and blesses that may all the beings in the world be contended. Sudama and Susheela are pleasantly surprised to find their half grains disappearing.

Jai Ho Dwarikadheesh Tumhari

A very Very Good Episode ðŸ‘ ðŸ‘

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
My thoughts,

If one can overlook the fact that once again it was Satyabhama replacing Rumini ( most of use were expecting it anyway), it was a very good episode over all. 

Sudama was introduced beautifully. ( In Srimad Bhagavatham, Krishna talks about Sudama after his arrival in Dwaraka.) But I guess, among the several creative liberties the Sagars have taken, this one can be excused. Some amount of dramatization is perhaps required for TV. Sudama's acute poverty and his heightened devotion amidst the poverty was well depicted. 

Thanks for the update Varaali! I was pleased to see that they stuck to the model this time rather than incorporating their own twists into Sudama's introduction - the dialogues and images were exactly the same as they had been in the original serial, with emphasis on devotion rather than masala (just describing the tone that was used, no reference to or comparison with production values). Vishal's benevolent smile at the end felt like a legit "Krishna moment", especially after the uncharacteristic brooding he's had to do for a few weeks now. The Sudama actor is also good so far, his emotions and innocence sounded convincing as he explained to his wife, why he was offering to God the one and only grain he had for himself. If they really want to go on without Priya, they should start calling either the Jambavanti actress or, less desirably, this Satyabhama one "Rukmini" so that this track continues to appeal both from a devotional as well as a narrative perspective.
Edited by lola610 - 12 years ago
Agree with both Varaali and Lola, Really Loved the episode! 😍 Was engrossed in the story!  â­ïļ   Actually I am 'Relieved' to watch a 'Correct'  ðŸ˜ƒ episode (except that Rukmini/ SB point 😔) from DBSK Team, after a long time ðŸ˜Š. They are going with the RS SK track, if they follow the 'essence' of it, then I guess this track will go on pretty well.

Krishna, SB, Sudama, Susheela- all the performances were good! â­ïļ â­ïļ. Emotions were properly handled and as Lola mentioned, Devotion was there in all the scenes.  â­ïļ

When the close up shot of the 'Lakshmi Narayan' murti was shown (at Sudama's house), I thought they would show us a conversation between Shri Hari-Lakshmi Devi in Kheersaagar, but yes, now I am also pretty sure that Priya is not there, so we are having all the discussions with SB. 

But overall, I am quite Satisfied with the episode. ⭐ïļ  ⭐ïļ 
In the other thread krishna- Sudama story I noted that quite a few things seemed different in the original Sudama story vs this one.  More comments on that there.

Yesterday, the show started a bit abruptly.  I happened to be home @ 5pm, when they had just finished showing the previous DBSK episode, w/ Krishna's bhashan and on, and they suddenly  started showing the next episode, instead of the next serial 😆 They showed a few minutes until the viewing of Sudama's condition, and then the channel switched to the next serial ðŸĪŠ  It started w/ Krishna playing his flute, Satyabhama coming to him and then Krishna turning on his holographic TV of the Sudama channel. 😆

Anyway, I was impressed that Krishna's room was right out of Star Trek - it wasn't LCD, it was a holographic image, and best part, it didn't even need cameras inside Sudama's hut, which one might have thought necessary.  Maybe the camera too was wireless ðŸĪĢ - doesn't need to focus  on its images b4 capturing them 😆  Okay, enough of my techie jokes.

Satyabhama indeed looked no worse for the Tulabharam incident. 😆  The thing that shocks us due to its rudeness also makes us laugh - when Satyabhama asked Krishna - Why don't you do something for him?  Or is it the case that you actually don't want to? ðŸ˜ēðŸĪĢ  On one hand, it was unbelievably rude for a wife to address her husband that way, but otoh, Satyabhama echoed exactly what I was thinking @ the moment.  Maybe they've projected the average viewer on to Satyabhama 😆

So tonight, do they show Sudama's visit to Dwarka, or is the Sudama story done & dusted?
Edited by _Vrish_ - 12 years ago
Originally posted by _Vrish_

Anyway, I was impressed that Krishna's room was right out of Star Trek - it wasn't LCD, it was a holographic image, and best part, it didn't even need cameras inside Sudama's hut, which one might have thought necessary.  Maybe the camera too was wireless ðŸĪĢ - doesn't need to focus  on its images b4 capturing them 😆  Okay, enough of my techie jokes.

Yes, that's what I wanted to mention, but the exact technical  term slipped my mind. 

Thanks for the update, It was a good episode except SB instead of Rukmini.

Sudama is a very  very lucky person, except his poverty, he has a good supporting wife, well behaved children, krishna is his friend, he prays to him with lots of devotion. If his poverty is due to his bad karmas of past birth, then to get Krishna as his friend in this birth, he must have prayed for many births,  his punya is much greater then, the karma that made him poor. Here Krishna himself wants to help him, saying he is in last phase of suffering monetarily. He acepted that half grain with lots of love & told SB they will have to repay for this in future. If Sudama's years of prayes, are to be repaid by Krishna, then his gain will be amazingly great.😊 
Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
Originally posted by _Vrish_

Yesterday, the show started a bit abruptly.  I happened to be home @ 5pm, when they had just finished showing the previous DBSK episode, w/ Krishna's bhashan and on, and they suddenly  started showing the next episode, instead of the next serial 😆 They showed a few minutes until the viewing of Sudama's condition, and then the channel switched to the next serial ðŸĪŠ  It started w/ Krishna playing his flute, Satyabhama coming to him and then Krishna turning on his holographic TV of the Sudama channel. 😆

That part from Sudama ep was shown in the Friday ep itself, after the completion of Tulabharam incident. I also watched that part in the repeat of Friday ep at 10 am yesterday. In the WU of 9th Sept, Varaali had mentioned that at the end of the post. I feel, they wanted 'to keep the audience glued' with just the Introduction of a new (interesting and famous) track 😊, so decided to show only 'a few scenes'  from the ep of the coming wk. Or maybe that was a 'Precap' without the 'Title'.😃