Dwarkadheesh - Bhagwaan Shree Krishna

09/13/2011: Sudama's family on the brink

Poll

Has Rukmini's absense turned you off from watching the show?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Krishna & Satyabhama smile as the 2 grains of rice reach them, while Sudama & Susheela too are happy. Next day shows Sudama out begging from door to door and being refused by everyone.  Everytime someone turns her back on him, he expresses his thanks to Krishna.  Krishna is hurt by this reaction of his.

Satyabhama tells Krishna that only he understands his leelas 👏 but asks why he doesn't do something about it?  She understands that he's reaping the fruits of his previous life, but that doesn't mean that he can't get a helping hand and rewards for this life.  She asks him whether he doesn't feel hurt in seeing Sudama's predicament?  Krishna says he does, but that Sudama would never ask him for help due to his commitment to his friendship.

Krishna then tells Satyabhama a story from their gurukul, and the scene flashes back to those times w/ a boyish and cleanshaven Krishna & Sudama.  Sudama presented Krishna a glass of water.  Krishna thanked him, addressing him as 'mitra'.  Sudama asks him how he could accept him as a friend that easily.  Krishna asks him why, and Sudama tells him that friendship comes w/ its responsibilities - like being there for the other in times of trouble.  He tells Krishna that he's a poor Brahmin, so if ever Krishna is in need, how can Sudama do anything for him?  Krishna promises him that if that's the case, he promises never to be in a situation where he'd be dependent on Sudama, while Sudama promises that he'd never take undue advantage of this friendship.

Satyabhama tells Krishna that he has to do something to salvage Sudama, or who knows how much more they'll have to suffer b4 they get better.  They resume watching Sudama TV, and in one house, a woman comes out and gives Sudama quite a bit of rice.  Sudama takes it and thanks her, and she tells him that there's a puja going on nearby @ one of her relatives places, and he can get as much as he wants there.  Sudama tells her that it's against his dharam to beg for the same thing the same day that he's gotten it, and leaves.

While Sudama is going home, some boys who are playing bump into him and he falls, spilling all the rice on the pavement.  B4 he can do anything about it, a dog comes and eats up the rice 😡  Sudama smiles, and tells Krishna how thankful he is.

Krishna tells her that this was bound to happen, since destiny cannot be pre-empted, and that Sudama's salvation would not happen b4 it was due, and if one tried to contrive situations so that they end up otherwise, these sort of mishaps would happen. 
Satyabhama begs Krishna to shred Sudama's ego the way hers was shredded (Bhama, you think that was easy? 😆)  Krishna tells her that as long as Sudama wasn't forced to, his friendship would prevent him from seeking any help.

Sudama returns home emptyhanded, and sees his children groaning of hunger 😭  He continues his Krishna jab, and his wife goes to him and complains.  He tells her to leave everything to Krishna, but his wife tells him that all he does day & night is dwell on Krishna, but their lot hasn't improved.  She tells him that their kids are starving, and while he may be very learned and see the bigger picture, she's just a mother, and her interests end when her kids are happy.  The kids come to Sudama and tell him that they are hungry.
Edited by _Vrish_ - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
I liked last night's episode, w/ a few caveats.

I didn't know that Sudama had ever made a vow not to take undue advantage of his friendship.  On his philosophy of friendship, I'm somewhat w/ him in that I do take a bit of time and check out the profile b4 accepting friendship.  However, if Sudama knows Krishna is god, it didn't make sense that he didn't approach him: one may shy of taking things from friends, but one doesn't shy of asking gods for things.

I wish they had shown the incident in the ashram where Sudama & Krishna were stuck one night, and Sudama ate Krishna's share of his poha.  That was, from what I understand, the reason behind Sudama's poverty - not anything he had done in previous lives.  Also, I know they are dramatizing things a bit, but showing all homes turn him away, and then the dog eating his food was a bit much.

Oh, and Sudama's wife ought to have a meeting w/ Krishna's, and she can teach them how to address their husbands.  I was expecting her to call him Sudama-ji, and was shocked when she addressed him repeatedly as Swami 😆  Maybe after her role is over, they can put her as one of the scriptwriters for the women in the show, particularly the Mrs Krishnas.

One thing about Satyabhama - I just love her impatience w/ Krishna's leelas - almost think sometimes that I'm there, questioning it.  But it's refreshing to see Satyabhama's activism focus on the well being of others, rather than her own self-gratification. 👏
Edited by _Vrish_ - 12 years ago
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

Thanks for the update. Sudama doesn't want to take help from Krishna. He doesn't want God to interfear with his Karmas. He can do that if he was living alone, but being a husband & father of 4 children,he can not escape from his responsibality of taking care of their basic needs. Paying for past birth's karma's doesn't mean he will not do anything to improve his & his family's life in this birth. It is his duty as a father which he is overlooking. Preservation is Lord Vishnu's task. So being his devotee he is connected to god, so surrendering to him is not at all wrong, he should go to meet his friend as a friend, rest is up to his friend, Krishna.

chemestry thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
@vrish

u were the most knowledgeable and known member about the mytho show.
in start u had raise ur voice for any wrong shown in the DSBK
LIKE there costumes and showing fictious character like amod n widow woman.

why don't u have prbm with wrong showing of SB instead of rukmini
this is  most wrong and disrespect to the lord krishna story 😕

how can u see wrong story of original story

Vr15h thumbnail
Chemestry

I share your opinions, and everyone else's regarding Rukmini's absence.  Previously, when I pointed out stuff, it would be that it was stuff that wasn't mentioned by others.  But in this case of Rukmini's disappearance, everybody has noted it, and I agree w/ them.  Actually, most of this outcry happened over this weekend, when I happened to be offline: when I returned, I noticed that everybody had already been protesting about Rukmini's disappearance.

I agree w/ everybody, including you.  I don't like distortions in mythos, although I've come to accept that every mytho will have things I don't like about it, mainly due to the tradition of borrowing from different sources.  But this is not new for this serial - they were showing ridiculous things in week 1, so I'm annoyed, but not surprised that they bumped off Rukmini for 3 events she's noted for - the Parijat flower, the Tulabharam incident and now Sudama's visit.  I could have explicitly spelt that out, except that I'd not have added anything to what had already been written.

I do apologize to you for thinking that you wanted to see Rukmini due to her chemistry (no pun intended 😆) w/ Vishal: I accept your case that you want to see these things shown right.

I do hope they don't show Satyabhama giving birth to Pradhyumna - that will be even worse: if they're not going to bring back Rukmini, go straight to Mahabharata, although it won't feel the same.  As Vik noted elsewhere, will they substitute Arjun w/ Bhima when Krishna delivers the Gita if the Arjun actor is less liked by the crowd, or has problems w/ the production team?  So yeah, i certainly want them to get their act together.
john909 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: _Vrish_

I liked last night's episode, w/ a few caveats.

I didn't know that Sudama had ever made a vow not to take undue advantage of his friendship.  On his philosophy of friendship, I'm somewhat w/ him in that I do take a bit of time and check out the profile b4 accepting friendship.  However, if Sudama knows Krishna is god, it didn't make sense that he didn't approach him: one may shy of taking things from friends, but one doesn't shy of asking gods for things.

I wish they had shown the incident in the ashram where Sudama & Krishna were stuck one night, and Sudama ate Krishna's share of his poha.  That was, from what I understand, the reason behind Sudama's poverty - not anything he had done in previous lives.  Also, I know they are dramatizing things a bit, but showing all homes turn him away, and then the dog eating his food was a bit much.

Oh, and Sudama's wife ought to have a meeting w/ Krishna's, and she can teach them how to address their husbands.  I was expecting her to call him Sudama-ji, and was shocked when she addressed him repeatedly as Swami 😆  Maybe after her role is over, they can put her as one of the scriptwriters for the women in the show, particularly the Mrs Krishnas.

One thing about Satyabhama - I just love her impatience w/ Krishna's leelas - almost think sometimes that I'm there, questioning it.  But it's refreshing to see Satyabhama's activism focus on the well being of others, rather than her own self-gratification. 👏

i understand your points about sudama taking vow and not going to krishna but according to real story, sudama was very learned and he knew that he is suffering coz of his own deeds so he suffered them silently. his wife supported him initially but later on she forced him to go to krishna for help and he did not want to coz even though he knew that krishna was god, he was his friend first. so according to him he can go to God but what if his God is also his friend? he cannot take undue advantage of friendship. it is sort of lke his own self respect was preventing him from going to krishna and because his God is his friend too so that was also preventing him. hope u got my point. this is a religious story and u cannot expect them to call their husbands like in today's world. this is how they use to show their husband respect and call him. they never called or uttered their husband's name. no the real reason for sudama's poverty is his past lives and not that one incident during their childhood. that incident is very important coz that was the only thing he owed to krishna and krishna frees him from all his debts of his past lives and himself by using that particular debt of sudama to him.

i just hate it when they start twisting the real stories. it was always rukmini who was with krishna  during these types of leelas and not satyabhama coz rukmini and krishna are eternal as their gods
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Episode was indeed good! ⭐️ ⭐️

Guess, they are following RS SK, so things are going in the 'right' direction. 😊

Originally posted by: john909

i understand your points about sudama taking vow and not going to krishna but according to real story, sudama was very learned and he knew that he is suffering coz of his own deeds so he suffered them silently. his wife supported him initially but later on she forced him to go to krishna for help and he did not want to coz even though he knew that krishna was god, he was his friend first. so according to him he can go to God but what if his God is also his friend? he cannot take undue advantage of friendship. it is sort of lke his own self respect was preventing him from going to krishna and because his God is his friend too so that was also preventing him. hope u got my point. ...
... no the real reason for sudama's poverty is his past lives and not that one incident during their childhood. that incident is very important coz that was the only thing he owed to krishna and krishna frees him from all his debts of his past lives and himself by using that particular debt of sudama to him. 

John has explained very nicely ⭐️, nothing more to add. 

And yes, SB has improved in her acting, doing a better job these days! 👏

Now the links of the same sequence from RS SK- 

Sudama's Lifestyle and Devotion:

Devi Rukmini Concerned about Sudama and wants to help him:

(same sc they showed in the ep of DBSK)

Devi Rukmini perceived Sudama as 'Sthitaptragnya':

And here are the scs from the gurukul episodes of RS SK:

(The first meeting of Krishna-Sudama ⭐️. I really really LOVED 👏 👏   the child actor who played Sudama in RS SK, he has such bright eyes! The same sc is taken in DBSK. correctly 😊. Really the 'essence' is So Great ⭐️  that the Lord is Always ready to accept us, only we get preoccupied with our 'limitations' and become inconfident about ourselves, in the same way Sudama thought for a while to call Krishna a 'friend'. Really Wonderful sc in Both the shows!! 😍 😍 😍 . One of my Most Fav. sc from the story!)