Views

Users

Frequent Posters

akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
@Ayeshaa
Both groups have equal displacement.

Explanation: The initial position for both groups is Cape Kennedy in Florida and the final position for both is Air Force Base in California.

They have the same initial position and the same final position. Therefore, they have the same displacement.

Note: Displacement is not 0. Displacement will be 0 only if an object starts at a point and comes  back to the same point. Here, the people do not come back to the same point.

^ Thanks so much, I'm seriously beginning to sort of get this =)

Other Physics question:

1.     While John is travelling along a highway, he notices a 160-km marker as he passes through town. Later John passes another marker, 115km.

What is the distance between town and John's current location?

I just subtracted 160km from 115 km, and got 45km. So would the answer just be 45km, it doesn't give direction..

What is John's current position?

His current position would be 45km out of town.

2.     While John is travelling along a straight highway, he notices that the marker reads 260 km. John travels until he reaches the 150-km marker and then retraces his path to the 175-km marker. What is John's resultant displacement from the 260-km marker?

Ok, I don't know what I'm doing for this one...this is what I did. I subtracted 150 from 260 and got 110. I subtracted 175 from 150 and got 25. Then I added that to 110km and got 135km. Would this be his displacement?

akhl thumbnail
1. First part: 45 km. Your answer is correct. The question asks distance (not displacement), so direction is not needed.

Second part: 115 km
(Although it is correct to say 45 km from town, the question does not say from town. So better to simply give the current position in terms of marker).

2. Initial position = 260 km
Final position = 175 km
Resultant displacement = 175 km - 260 km = -85 km (Answer)
Note that negative displacement is perfectly valid.

Note:
Resultant (i.e. net or total) displacement is always final position - initial position. Therefore only initial and final positions are important. The intermediate position 150 km is not needed in the calculation.

The 135 km that you calculated is the total distance travelled by John.

Are you sure the units are km and not mi? If mi, then change units in answers to mi.

Edited by akhl - 12 years ago
akhl thumbnail
@Ayeshaa,
I edited my previous post to make it simpler. See again.

^^ Oh I see:) Thanks so much. I have one last Physics Question which I don't understand at all.

A Physics book is moved once around the perimeter of a table of dimensions 1.0m by 2.0m.

A)    If the book ends up at its initial position, what is its displacement?

B)    What is the distance travelled?

I don't get how to solve this. Is there even a formula for displacement?

Originally posted by: akhl

@Ayeshaa,
I edited my previous post to make it simpler. See again.

Aww thanks I just saw it:) Thank you so much:)
akhl thumbnail
@Ayeshaa
A Physics book is moved once around the perimeter of a table of dimensions 1.0m by 2.0m.

A)    If the book ends up at its initial position, what is its displacement?

B)    What is the distance travelled?

A) Displacement = 0 m

B) Distance = perimeter = 1.0 m + 2.0 m + 1.0 m + 2.0 m = 6.0 m

Note: As I mentioned in a previous post, displacement = final position - initial position
If the book ends up at its initial position, then initial position and final position are equal. Therefore initial position - final position = 0 i.e. displacement = 0

For part b, you have to calculate the perimeter of a rectangle. You can use some other method of finding perimeter if that is easier for you. For example perimeter = 2(a+b)
You will get the same answer.

Edited by akhl - 12 years ago
^^ Okay, will need to keep that in mind. Thanks so much =)
Originally posted by: akhl

1. First part: 45 km. Your answer is correct. The question asks distance (not displacement), so direction is not needed.

Second part: 115 km
(Although it is correct to say 45 km from town, the question does not say from town. So better to simply give the current position in terms of marker).

2. Initial position = 260 km
Final position = 175 km
Resultant displacement = 175 km - 260 km = -85 km (Answer)
Note that negative displacement is perfectly valid.

Note:
Resultant (i.e. net or total) displacement is always final position - initial position. Therefore only initial and final positions are important. The intermediate position 150 km is not needed in the calculation.

The 135 km that you calculated is the total distance travelled by John.

Are you sure the units are km and not mi? If mi, then change units in answers to mi.

Yeah the units were in km, sorry for answering this late.
Socials - - Canadian History

Describe the situation of women in Canada in the years before World War I

--They had very few rights. Their husbands controlled their property, and they were mainly employed as servants or factory workers. They didn't have the right to vote, and were considered as persons under the law.

Explain why Canadiens did not share any enthusiasm for Canada's ties to Britain. Do you think their objections were justified? Explain your answer.

--Canadiens did not share any enthusiasm for Canada's ties to Britain because they were nationalists and they did not consider themselves as British subjects.

If you could add, that would be great, not sure if I've explained this well.