Poll

Do we need an intro thread?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
visrom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Hi all,

Recently there was a complaint that our forum has too many important topics and stickies therefore we are having very less number of 'current topics' on page 1.

I removed the thread from the IMP topics. Some people want it back.

First of all, we shouldn't compare our forum and our serial with the others. We have 2 WUs and 2 videos as stickies all the time. After this we also have a contest thread and one promo thread when Nipun uploads.

We cannot remove any of the archive threads or galleries or creations.

Ours is a very long running serial, therefore we cannot reorganise it that easily. There are several old archives which we cannot afford to lose.

We can have the new members introducing themselves in the Gen Discussion thread and that way getting to know the other members better. I have seen that many members who introduce themselves in the intro thread don't join the discussions and just say 'Hi' and vanish.

Genuine members who want to join in the discussions will anyway enter the Gen Discussion thread to see what's happening.

Keeping all these points in mind and without comparing with other forums please vote on whether we need an Intro thread or not, and explain your reason.

Thanks.

(PS: I will keep this thread open till Saturday and the majority will win, no hard feelings to anyone)

Edited by visrom - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Reshh16 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
i think wat u said was rite...the new members just introuce themselves and vanish...b4 the thread was removed frm the imp topics list...i just saw a few members introucing themselves and aftr tht i dint see them active at al.,and i just saw the old members welcumng them...so frm me no.
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Well I am not sure. An inftro thread gives a plantform to he person

It gives a base

So yes I think we need it

Though I never introduced myself there😉 But I think some people may need a platform. Mist forums have it
Edited by NandiniPS - 12 years ago
aadri- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I think a thread only for introduction is not required. As u said most of the time we see "I m new here, I love this show" and no more posts from that person thereafter. But still somehow removing it completely is not right. And few people are too shy, they might not feel very comfortable introducing themselves in GD thread, and there is a high chance that the newbie's "Hi' post will be overshadowed by the flood of posts in GD thread. 

Its true that too many stickies and important topics around here and none can be removed. So what if the introduction thread is merged with any of those ? I guess the 'rules and regulations' thread is lying almost idle there...is it possible to merge the introduction thread with it? Newbies will go to that thread for introduction aur issi bahane s/he will go through the rules . 

just my point of view. ðŸ˜Š

Bhavanab thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I feel it's needed ... a separate thread for the new comers where they introduce themselves. it's like a place for them to do the introduction unlike the gd thread which moves at a leopards pace ... and many posts go unnoticed. There's no harm in having one .. now the situation is different but we can't be sure of how it'll be later .. this basically reduces the chances oh 'hi i'm new here' threads !!! We had been going fine with the system for quite some time .. I don't think any change is needed in the way our forum was functioning.
Originally posted by: visrom

Hi all,

Genuine members who want to join in the discussions will anyway enter the Gen Discussion thread to see what's happening.

Though all points mentioned are correct I dont agree with this one, if you consider me a genuine interested member, then I never came to the then chit chat thread during my early days. 

I used to restrict myself to the episode thread and used to feel like an outsider in the chit chat chat thread

There may be many like me who want to participate but dont feel like intruding a coonverstaion on the GD thread
astonish thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: NandiniPS

Though all points mentioned are correct I dont agree with this one, if you consider me a genuine interested member, then I never came to the then chit chat thread during my early days.

I used to restrict myself to the episode thread and used to feel like an outsider in the chit chat chat thread

There may be many like me who want toparticipatebut dont feel like intruding a coonverstaion on the GD thread

Hmm... Good point...even i felt an outsider initially when it was point of gd and chit chat thread... But you see introducing in intro thread doesnt make you feel at ease in all discussions and threads...

2 to 3 people say welcome...and later they are on their own...which is same as landing directly on to any of threads and say i am new... And actually people on gd thread tend to talk out something with the new guys... As not all look into the intro thread and make them feel at ease.

People who are desperate to be a part of this forum mostly either jump into any thread and introduce themselves...
Reserved people might silently watch and then slowly get in... So i dont think intro thread's presence makes any difference
debasree04 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I also think an introduction thread is needed...becoz GD thread cant be an introduction thread...&  all members r not present in GD thread all time so it is impossible to know them(new member) but from introduction thread anyone can know about the new member...
But as u said there is so many imp thread...so u can do one thing...just merge with rules regulation thread (as Aadrika said)...in combined thread just write the links of two thread (1-Introduction & 2 -Rules & Regulation)..therefore two problems can solve (just a suggestion)
And for new member please dnt vanish after introduction
Well Astonish you have a point too, because if I think of my case , well I never went to chit chat thread but I never went to Intro thread either

I directly barged into the episode thread😆

I think merging it with rules and regulation is a good idea
Edited by NandiniPS - 12 years ago
Bhavanab thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Yes I suggested Vis the same ... mostly it's the new members who've to go throught the rules... so if they're made a part of intro. Thread they're likely to.visit they'll go through them.