Tidbits, Trivias... Share what you want NEW LINK - Page 4

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by Arwen.

^I think this guy copied my Dancing steps...😉😛😆
This is shocking in India !

Indian town battles against encephalitis

The majority of the victims are children
More than 460 people, mostly children, have died after a fresh outbreak of encephalitis in northern India. The BBC's Sanjoy Majumder travelled to Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh to find out why the town is struggling to cope with the disease.

Ward number 12 at Gorakhpur's main hospital is overflowing with sick children, two or three squeezed into a single bed.

Many of them are visibly sick and are having to be administered oxygen or being put on an intravenous drip.

Every day, 30 to 40 children are brought here after having contracted encephalitis. Many of them come from the countryside, after having travelled several hours because this is the best hospital in the region.

"I brought my daughter from our village 25km (15 miles) away," says one young woman.

"She was very sick. But here in the hospital, there are five babies dying every couple of hours. I am so frightened."

The hospital is trying its best to cope but is overwhelmed by the numbers.

"We have about 500 children in our ward and only 95 beds," says Dr KP Kushwaha, the hospital's chief paediatrician.

Those who aren't lucky to make it to a bed are made to wait with their parents in the corridor outside which is filled to capacity. The children lie on the floor, exposed to the dust and dirt.

But lack of space is not the only issue.

Regular outbreak

The hospital does not have enough doctors and so medical students are being roped in to help out.

Gorakhpur experiences an outbreak of encephalitis every year, typically after the monsoon season when stagnant water left over after the rains becomes a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

But this year's strain is not the more common Japanese encephalitis, doctors say, but a virus being blamed on contaminated water.

"We had managed to contain the spread of Japanese encephalitis with our immunisation programme," says Dr Kushwaha.

"But this has proved to be more difficult."

Children, with lower immunity systems are particularly vulnerable.

Hundreds of patients have been admitted to Gorakhpur's main hospital
Ritu, a baby girl aged 18 months, was one of the many who didn't make it.

Her mother, Lata, clutches at a frayed photograph of her daughter as she recalls what happened.

"She was very sick at home. We tried to cure her through medicines but when she just didn't get better, we took her to the hospital."

She died in less than a week.

Officials say part of the problem is that many people fail to bring their children to a medical facility in time.

'Neglected'

"In my assessment, we can reduce the deaths by 50% if people follow basic hygiene and then take their child to the nearest hospital quickly," says Sanjay Kumar, Gorakhpur's top administrator.

But the families of many of those affected say that's quite hard to do.

"There are no proper hospitals near our village," says Manju whose three-year-old boy is recovering from encephalitis.

"It's a long journey - six to seven hours. And we don't know how long we'll have to stay here. That's why not many like to come."

This is one of India's most neglected regions and those affected are among the poorest.

Lack of proper sanitation and access to clean water sources is being described as the main reason for the spread of the disease.

So, with every passing hour more children are being brought into the hospital - not all of them will survive.
What is this sickness mentioned above:

Listen

Encephalitis literally means an inflammation of the brain, but it usually refers to brain inflammation caused by a virus. It's a rare disease that occurs in approximately 0.5 per 100,000 individuals — most commonly in children, the elderly, and people with weakened immune systems (e.g., those with HIV/AIDS or cancer).

Although several thousand cases of encephalitis (also called acute viral encephalitis or aseptic encephalitis) are reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) every year, experts suspect that many more may go unreported because the symptoms are so mild.

Signs and Symptoms
Symptoms in milder cases of encephalitis usually include:

fever
headache
poor appetite
loss of energy
a general sick feeling
In more severe cases of encephalitis, a person is more likely to experience high fever and any of a number of symptoms that relate to the central nervous system, including:

severe headache
nausea and vomiting
stiff neck
confusion
disorientation
personality changes
convulsions (seizures)
problems with speech or hearing
hallucinations
memory loss
drowsiness
coma
It's harder to detect some of these symptoms in infants, but important signs to look for include:

vomiting
a full or bulging soft spot (fontanel)
crying that doesn't stop or that seems worse when an infant is picked up or handled in some way
body stiffness
Because encephalitis can follow or accompany common viral illnesses, there sometimes are signs and symptoms of these illnesses beforehand. But often, the encephalitis appears without warning.
^^ huh -summer bhai taken up medical studies?
Mosquito vs Human beings ! What would Darwin say?
http://www.viewzone.com/memorytest.html

Pretty easy (once you figure it out) to get a superior or even an exceptional score.
I was hooked to Yeke Yeke song years ago...It is sung in a African language spoken by only about 4000 people..There is a new remix with interesting video..

Edited by my_view - 12 years ago
Originally posted by zorrro

^^ huh -summer bhai taken up medical studies?
Mosquito vs Human beings ! What would Darwin say?

God said...'When you really want to slap someone, do it and say mosquito. 😉
Originally posted by K.Consciousness

http://www.viewzone.com/memorytest.html

Pretty easy (once you figure it out) to get a superior or even an exceptional score.

1st try - 18 moves
2nd try - 16 moves

Best stunt I've ever seen, though it's not a stunt.
Edited by souro - 12 years ago
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?v=2510875977913

I wonder if there is a way on IF to embed FB or Vimeo videos.