!~*Vikas Khanna Official Appreciation Thread*~! - Page 6

Posted: 12 years ago

30 Days Of Healthy Indulgences: Ginger and Curry Leaf Rasam By Vikas Khanna

From November 15 through December 14, Intentblog is launching its first-ever 30 Days of Healthy Indulgences, where every day for 30 days we are inviting bloggers from all over the health and wellness space to contribute their favorite healthy indulgent recipe in time for the holiday season. Today's featured recipe and blog is from renowned chefVikas Khanna.

By Vikas Khanna

It's the moment of truth in one's life: you see something so profound that it leaves a permanent impression on your mind. For me it was everyday food rituals.

I learned to cook at my Biji – my grandmother's side. It takes many years to understand the intricacies of the spices used in Indian cooking. The interlacing of the whole and ground spices requires a good deal of practice to get just right.

Spices are virtually indispensable in culinary art. Spices tease our senses with their enticing aromas, colors and their distinctive flavors, and have been the catalysts of some of the greatest adventures in human history, over which fortunes were made, nations discovered, and fates met.

The history and culture of Indian spices is probably as old as civilization itself and is an integral part of Indian Cuisine, which relies on varied use of spices, herbs, and seasonings to create unique tastes and aromas. 

Biji and I ground fresh spices for our every meal at home. That is a practice that I carry with me till today. At my restaurant Junoon, we have a "spice room" where spices are ground fresh every morning. This is one my favorite places at the restaurant. Generally my day begins here (weighting, grinding, creating mixtures).

There are a few things that I always follow while buying spices. I usually rely on the smell of the spices -Pungent smell indicates freshness, if they smell musty, then most likely the spices have been in storage for a while.

Also, buying smaller quantities each time ensures that I have fresh stock at all times. Spices lose flavor fast once ground, so I prefer buying spices whole and then I grind them only when and as much as I need.

The health benefits of spices are universally known. The extensive use of spices in Indian food, not only adds flavoring, but also makes for healthy eating. Spices like turmeric, ginger, garlic, green chilies have always been associated with medicinal and healing properties

Ginger and Curry Leaf Rasam

(Recipe from "Flavors First: An Indian Chef's Culinary Journey" by Vikas Khanna)

Rasam is an immensely popular soup of South India and a must in every household. The word "Rasam", in Tamil language, means essence, or juice and by extension has come to mean a particular type of soup that includes the tartness of tamarind or tomatoes. The ingredients used in a Rasam vary but it is basically a light, spicy soup.

Red Lentils have a tendency to cook quickly and are rich in protein, fiber and anti-oxidants.  Turmeric has been used for hundreds of years in India as a major ingredient for cooking and in Ayurveda. My grandmother used to boil it with milk and give it to us when we were kids before sleeping. A small paste was applied when we would cut ourselves and also considered auspicious in ceremonies.

The spiciness can be adjusted to your taste. At times I add vegetables to make this soup a complete meal.

Serves 4

1/2 cup dry red lentils

4 cups water

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

Salt to taste

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

10 fresh curry leaves

2 teaspoons black mustard seeds

Pinch of asafetida

One 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, skinned and finely chopped

1 medium tomato, finely chopped

2 1/4 cups water

1 (12-ounce) can coconut milk

1 tablespoon tamarind paste

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Wash the lentils until the water runs clear. Add them to the water along with the turmeric and salt and cook over medium-high heat until the lentils are tender, about half an hour, skimming frequently with a spoon.

In a heavy-bottom pot, heat the oil and add the curry leaves, stirring until very fragrant, about a minute. Remove 4 leaves and reserve for the garnish. To the oil, add the mustard seeds, asafetida, ginger and tomato and cook until the tomato begins to dry, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved lentils, water, coconut milk, tamarind, and black pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for another 3 minutes.

Season it with salt and serve hot, garnished with the fried curry leaves.

We often coock this

rasam in our house bt

we don't use coconut

milk and mustard

seeds...gonna add

them next time
see his smile in pooram festival , always just by seeing him i got some positive energy.

Gourmet Guru

New York's hottest chef, who runs the Michelin-starred restaurant Junoon, and has won praise for his food from none other than the Obamas, is now also anchoring MasterChef India. TSI's Anu Gulmohar speaks with the stellar ambassador of Indian cuisine, chef Vikas Khanna.

What ingredients must a contestant necessarily have in order to succeed in MasterChef India?
I think passion, and the most important thing I think is focus, because people get easily distracted.  I love when chefs have a combination of technical instincts, passion and dedication. It's a winning combination.

What motivated you to host and judge MasterChef India?
I'm very inspired by my younger sister, Radhika Khanna, and I tremendously admire her. She wanted me to come back to India and inspire the next generation. And my mother Bindu Khanna, she had told me that this would be my homecoming to my motherland, and also a way to inspire a nation with the reason of my life, that is Indian food.

Has the show presented a challenge which has given you the jitters?
I went crazy when I had to eliminate the first contestant. I didn't know that it takes so much strength to tell someone to leave like this. These contestants have hopes, aspirations and dreams, and it's hard to let them go. In my whole career, I've never had to fire anyone, and for me to let anyone go like this, it's so difficult.

How important in your view is formal culinary education for an aspiring chef? In India, which institute do you think imparts the best culinary education?
I have two view points. If you speak well, you cannot just become a lawyer. You have to understand the law, the techniques involved. Cooking is very instinctive; some people are born with it. What I like to believe is that you can hire anyone who has the hunger to learn, to surrender to the moment of understanding food; they will succeed, regardless of formal training. Though I do think that credentials really help, especially today. Credentials give you a visa. For me, the most important thing is that they need to have the fire, the hunger.  It's extremely crucial to have the passion to cook and feed people, it's bigger than any degree or diploma.

My whole foundation is based on WGSHA, Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration. I'm a bad product of that college! The way that college has nurtured me, a child from Amritsar, who did not even have any grasp of English, it has been phenomenal. tIt helped me to understand the word 'hospitality'. They don't take too many students, and so they give individual attention. It's amazing to see this institution become a legend in this trade.

Is there a core philosophy that guides your innovations in the kitchen?
I am totally based on roots. Every Indian dish which goes out of my kitchen has such a long story of memories, history and passion. Innovation is important, but one shouldn't remove oneself from all those memories, traditions and emotions. For me, it's very important that the flavours and ideas stay true to the roots. Innovation is important, but not to the point that it loses its meaning. Every time I innovate, I want to keep that connecting thread intact. I might be old school, but somebody has to be a purist in a generation.

In which ways is Junoon similar to Lawrence Gardens, the banquet and catering business you'd set-up when you were just 17?
Junoon is the expression of love and devotion to India, my Motherland. Just the way Lawrence Gardens was a reflection of my hometown and love of my grandmother. Same is evident in Junoon's hospitality.

Of all the books which you have written, which is most special to you?
My next book 'Return to the Rivers – A culinary pilgrimage through the Himalayas'. This is my most important project until now, and I am humbled and honoured that this project is blessed and has an introduction by HH the Dalai Lama. It has a beautiful depiction of food and cultures of the beautiful Himalayas.

In your view, has religion played a big role in shaping cuisines around the world, and is it still playing a dominant role in shaping world cuisines?
I think the biggest driving force of world cuisines is the integrity of the people. Of course, the seasons and the regions have an impact on how cuisines are developed historically. World cuisines have a more individual take and are not bound by regions.

How difficult was it to get the Michelin star?
I am honoured to be a part of the fraternity of Chefs who have earned it. It was not awarded to me and my team, but to hundreds of people who cooked and nurtured my beliefs of cooking. From the ones who are known to me and unknown, it's their abundance and spirit that this award represents. It's all their hard work and blessings.

You've been featured in a sexy and successful list of a magazine. You are definitely among the most eligible Indian bachelors... Are you looking out for a girl, or only concentrating on your career, or already taken?
I had been too focused on my career for years, and now I think I'm looking to have a family.
Three ingredients you desire in a life partner...
Pride about who she is, a passion for life, and a pure and forgiving heart. I just hope she is not a good cook! 

he is soo god in every thing
What to say about him , I have no words . How much humble he is , all credit of his sucess goes to others , their are very few people who think like him. I am glad to know & share inf about him.
I made a siggy:

As I say I will make more!
Originally posted by ruky786

I made a siggy:

As I say I will make more!
nice creation ruky!

Proud to be the "Guest of Honor" with Deepika Padukone and Anjum Anand for the wonderful launch of BBC GoodFood Magazine today. Thanks to the whole team of BBC, Times Group, WorldWideMedia and Taj Hotels for amazing food, reception, entertainment and the GREATEST Food Magazine in India. So proud and I am cheering for your success

Rajat (The Genius Modernist of Indian Cuisine) left the MasterChef Kitchen today. He will always be the symbol of the new wave of Indian food for me. Thanks Rajat for everything and this wonderful mail that touched my heart. I am proud to share it with the World.
You have already reached a spiritual stage where nothing negative touches or bothers you. You have touched yourself at the level of "ID" and do not intend to live your life in the state of "EGO" but certainly have achieved to live in the realms of "SUPEREGO". You inspire one and all. Your aura spreads across oceans and continents. You are the herdsman who shall lead many a sheep to their destination. I am honoured to have been able to interact with you. i am honoured that you have touched me and my soul. I am honoured to have you take my name and bless me with your words. I am honoured to follow you as my Guru.
May this world never harm your spirit and may you continue to shine the way you have over four decades. 
let you light remove every form of darkness that the negativity bestows in this world.
i feel this poem represents who you are. Please accept this as a humble gift on this auspicious day. Happy Birthday" Rajat