What we should not do in Temples - Page 2

Posted: 12 years ago
Desi,

Onions and garlic induce our emotional qualities (rajas guna). We will engage in rajas qualities more on the days when we take them in our food. Avoiding them helps to maintain 'sattwa guna'.

Yeah, I agree that doctors advise to take them, but I personally feel that it's possible to completely avoid them. Our elders, who followed these, seem to have been quite healthy :). If we can't avoid completely, we can at least avoid on certain days (fasting days, Fridays etc. - it depends on the individuals). 

There are many examples and explanations you can find in the Bhagavad Gita. 

Thank you pattupavadai for the response. My husband and me cannot come to consensus on garlic .
Thanks
Desi
Jains cook without onions and garlic, and their food is tasty.  I have a Gujarati friend who is a strict Jain, and it amazes me how she can come up with good recipes without onions and garlic.  I don't use garlic most of the time, and I am trying to do more and more recipes without onions too.  In fact, there are lots of sites with Jain recipes on the Internet, and I regularly check them.  You can make most masalas with lots of tomatoes and skip the onions, and you can add some perungayam (hing) if you want some flavor.  Even kadala maavu can be used as a substitute for onions in many recipes.
@pattuppudavai :Thank  u so much for creating this thread.It is very useful.
Thanks everyone for this thread.

Very interesting.  Agreed Eljay.  I hate people talking in the temple.  Then they comment on peoples cloth.

Seriously, these oldies don't have better things to do.  Once somebody used blue coloured flowers as offering and one oldie said oh you cannot use blue flowers.  We know this old biddy very well, so a few of us start challenging her.  Why?  Oh cannot! Yes, cannot what is the reason and she instead of addressing us, telling other biddies, oh kids nowadays asking too much question blah blah...

So I turned around and said to her, you just cannot tell us to do it and not to do it.  You should teach us why?  So that we fully can understand.  If you say something like this, this means you are creating your own rules and regulations.  No wonder hindus nowadays are moving away from their religion and joining christianity and islam.  And I just walked away... 😉

Sorry, I always challenge anyone who says something and do another.  Nowadays, I just google to find out more details about our religion or ask one of my friend who is from India.

One of them is Sanharasathurty.

The temple I go to, they have banned handphones inside the temple.  Otherwise everyone will go... shhh...

Silksari, thanks
Edited by Caryn - 12 years ago
pattu...thanks for letting me about this thread...nicde one...Good job...
thanks pattu for this wonderful thread 
nice topic..
even let me try to share something...
Originally posted by sneha_vijay

thanks pattu for this wonderful thread 
nice topic..
even let me try to share something...

You are welcome sneha... looking forward for your contribution.😃