Posted: 17 years ago

It seems lighthouse ji lit the torch like this:

and she is passing the torch to all like this:

But where is this torch leading to you or whom is this torch leading to πŸ˜‰

Cheers,

Mythili

Originally posted by lighthouse

I suggest you go back and read 10 pages of this thread.. The answers from real people lie in there. I can garaunty that it is as real as it gets and not some cockamamie theory.

If a nuclear bomb were to hit us , we are not going to sit here and discuss nuclear physics..!!!!!

true😊

but so much of those 10 pages and opinions from "real people" was devoted to (1) why people come to DM (2) why people "participate" silently rather than debate. both off-topic from "why debate" imo. btw, you might not care for the street-fight analogy but for me that is as plausible a reason as others you advanced, and it pertained to the more on-topic question of "why debate". further it was not the only example cited though it somehow became the "focal point".😊

also, very generally and not directed at you, am not sure one gets too much learning done when one just slings around worthy quotes from others, mischaracterizes another person's position, and provides reasoning that centers on "senior members" etc. Would like the ideas to speak for themselves, not run behind personalities and hierachical pecking orders.😊

will leave you with this thought- we seldom get addicted to learning in RL- whether it's schoolkids, chess players, or movie watchers who want to learn story telling etc. Yet we so easily accept the stated "learning" reasons for why we debate given some of our own addictions here? fine. i just did not think it was the primary reason, and sorry if i cant really be bothered if someone disagrees as long as the focus remained on "why debate".😊

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago
Originally posted by chatbuster

true😊

also, very generally and not directed at you, am not sure one gets too much learning done when one just slings around worthy quotes from others, mischaracterizes another person's position, and provides reasoning that centers on "senior members" etc. Would like the ideas to speak for themselves, not run behind personalities and hierachical pecking orders.😊

will leave you with this thought- we seldom get addicted to learning in RL- whether it's schoolkids, chess players, or movie watchers who want to learn story telling etc. Yet we so easily accept the stated "learning" reasons for why we debate given some of our own addictions here? fine. i just did not think it was the primary reason, and sorry if i cant really be bothered if someone disagrees as long as the focus remained on "why debate".😊

πŸ˜ƒ.  It depends on the person and the stage of life that person is in... Insatiable thirst for knowledge and curiosity is omnipresent no matter what and is driving force .  Isn't that why we watch TV channels like Discovery, TLC or even O'reily beating up on his guest... I surely learned something from watching him or  Red carpet Oscar preview hour.

Honestly I enjoy reading views and have learnt a lot from many members on IF including yourself. 😳.  I think we are so stuck in rut of our daily lives and having to learn stuff for work or finances that coming here and reading or being able to participate in healthy discussion on matters we don't get to see otherwise is refreshing. And I am begining to have fun too. πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago
Posted: 14 years ago

Originally posted by mkzara

this is a cute little topic. i see a lot of people on DM who say lets not talk about this topic anymore because u cant change someone's views and there's no point in debating if u dont have a chance. i dont feel that way. i think the point of debating is to let the other side know how u feel, u tell them what u stand for and listen to what they stand for. the point of a debate is ideally to convince someone but really to just open up their mind to things so everyone can see everyone else's opinion. i just believe debating is done to let other see and understand ur point of view even if they dont agree with it.

I think it totally depends upon the issue at hand. There are certain debates where you'll have a clear cut right or wrong......however such debates are rare or rather not debateable cos there is indeed a clear cut right or wrong ! However, almost all debates lie in the gray zone......wherein you can argue on pts of others POV while respecting it. I truly feel that the goal of the debate should be to bring the other to your side of the spectrum........but just be a realist in your expectationsπŸ˜†