Frequent Posters

ani11 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
.Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago
lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

haha, i guess i should be hitting DM more often than the books- so many povs and things to learn.πŸ˜› and reminds me, when i go watch movies, i shld be doing so to explicitly learn the art of story-telling. and those trashy novels? oh, that's to build word power. street fights? nah, not to enjoy the tamasha. but to learn the fine art of boxingπŸ˜†

ok, seriously the problem with most of the viewpoints that have been articulated is not that they are not valid. they are. but they are mostly irrelevant or secondary IMO.

so what gives? the problem is that very little energy is expended when you're a passive someone, be it listener, observer, reader. the more interesting question is really why the active guys get into it, burning up all that energy and time. and the explanations that i came up addresses that best IMO. 😊 maza ata hai. naheen? πŸ˜‰

Some of us do come here every day... It is called addiction... πŸ˜†  πŸ˜­ πŸ˜‘ πŸ˜³ 

Mr Rahul.😊. May be the debaters of debate championships, judges and readers will be amused when you say they are watching tamasha.. I certainly am not...😑 Personaly I have learnt a lot from Debates and DCs such Gandhi vs Bhagat Singh, Gandhi giri valid in todays day and numerous other very intelligent debates happened here before. As Dr AS had pointed out in one his threads , DM is a place for folks who are like minded and/or have contrasting POVs coming together exchanging views and expressing beliefs.  The best outcome of debates or any forum discussion is that many take away a lot in terms of knowledge, communication skills and most importantly making a friend or two.πŸ˜ƒ

I don't mind your POV on why you come here but quoting me and saying why I am wrong about my own afforementioned reason is condescending to me. Like I said I am WIP...πŸ˜ƒ  We have members from all walks of life here and many could be very different then who you are..

If  I may take the liberty to quote Buffie, one of our great debators on IF in a post where she sums up beautifully what she got out of the debates and IF.

Originally posted by: Buffie

I met two of my best friends and philosophers here....Besides,have met wonderful people,who I wouldnt have otherwise(So many at DM itself,who are simply amazing)...SOme have had such a massive impact on me ,without their knowing it πŸ˜‰

I have learnt to introspect,something I never used to before..and introspection reflects so many flaws of mine....I can safely say I grew up,though still very immature ,but better than beforeπŸ˜ƒ

IF brought out my other side,which was hidden from even myself....For instance,I never knew I could be so stubborn πŸ˜†πŸ˜• ...I was always paranoid of debates,and I have never participated in one all throughout my school life,but after debating quite a bit here,I have shed my inhibitions now.. πŸ˜ƒ

I learnt how to take criticism positively,as I must admit,I could never earlier...One of my mother's gripe was that I wouldnt listen,I was a bad listener....I listen more patiently now,as against launching into a tirade without letting the other person speak.

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=431864&K W=abhijit+Shukla

πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

[/QUOTE]

Some of us do come here every day... It is called addiction... πŸ˜†  πŸ˜­ πŸ˜‘ πŸ˜³ 

Mr Rahul.😊. May be the debaters of debate championships, judges and readers will be amused when you say they are watching tamasha.. I certainly am not...😑 Personaly I have learnt a lot from Debates and DCs such Gandhi vs Bhagat Singh, Gandhi giri valid in todays day and numerous other very intelligent debates happened here before. As Dr AS had pointed out in one his threads , DM is a place for folks who are like minded and/or have contrasting POVs coming together exchanging views and expressing beliefs.  The best outcome of debates or any forum discussion is that many take away a lot in terms of knowledge, communication skills and most importantly making a friend or two.πŸ˜ƒ

I don't mind your POV on why you come here but quoting me and saying why I am wrong about my own afforementioned reason is condescending to me. Like I said I am WIP...πŸ˜ƒ  We have members from all walks of life here and many could be very different then who you are..

If  I may take the liberty to quote Buffie, one of our great debators on IF in a post where she sums up beautifully what she got out of the debates and IF.

Originally posted by: Buffie

I met two of my best friends and philosophers here....Besides,have met wonderful people,who I wouldnt have otherwise(So many at DM itself,who are simply amazing)...SOme have had such a massive impact on me ,without their knowing it πŸ˜‰

I have learnt to introspect,something I never used to before..and introspection reflects so many flaws of mine....I can safely say I grew up,though still very immature ,but better than beforeπŸ˜ƒ

IF brought out my other side,which was hidden from even myself....For instance,I never knew I could be so stubborn πŸ˜†πŸ˜• ...I was always paranoid of debates,and I have never participated in one all throughout my school life,but after debating quite a bit here,I have shed my inhibitions now.. πŸ˜ƒ

I learnt how to take criticism positively,as I must admit,I could never earlier...One of my mother's gripe was that I wouldnt listen,I was a bad listener....I listen more patiently now,as against launching into a tirade without letting the other person speak.

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=431864&K W=abhijit+Shukla

πŸ˜ƒ

[/QUOTE]

Lighthouse ji!! Don't make any unncessary efforts to glorify the beauty of Debate Mansion and the debates that take place here.We really like this place and the people who come here,so whatever happens here we come here because we learn something new eveyday.So don't worry if any gentleman does'nt understand the beauty of DM😊 .Its not necesary for everyperson to understand the beauty of "Einstein's Theory of Relativity",they might be interested in someother concept like "Budget and Political influences" which is pretty tough and practical.BTW did'nt we learn tolerance ??????πŸ˜†

Cheers,

Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago
chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: lighthouse

πŸ˜ƒ

haha, but there's a lot wrong with what's been sent my way. just my opinion. hope stating my opinion and defending it vigorously will not be considered condescending now?πŸ˜›

1. tamasha was mentioned in the context of street-fights; the context shld have been clear given that movie-watching and novel-reading were also mentioned. wondered why you left those out. tamasha scores more brownie points? good. i knew that it would.πŸ˜‰

2. the topic does not ask for a referendum on DM. it is asking about "the point of debate", not DM. and it does not ask for grand reasons for why you or i or anyone else comes to DM. i am sure people come to DM and to other forums in general to also chat, make friends etc. Not sure those are very pertinent, as in primary, for the "point of debate". is it? yes/ no?😊

3. for one side to suggest that another's point is secondary, irrelevant or perhaps even ridiculous in their opinion is standard practice. does not say "you are ridiculous". incidentally i do not even go as far, though one might want to hear some of the presidential debates to see how far people go actually go.

4. i think i have justified my opinion in the way i can. but what followed from you was a defensive personalized throw-back at me. why do i believe that? because the reference is strongly to me. and that's my opinion. contrast that with the rebuttal or debating put-down i made which i believe is valid in logic-driven debate.

5. i cant be bothered taking dictation and directions from what others either here or elsewhere have said or quoted in their wisdom, if i dont believe it is pertinent to the context. i like to think for myself. but then that's me again. please dont take it as criticism now.

6. and finally, getting to the point of this thread, why we debate, you said it first line. addiction. great. combine that with the learning track that has been suggested. well, given how learning's such a good thing, maybe then it's the kind of addiction we should all have πŸ˜‰

7. this thread was in debate mansion, right? sorry if i took it as someting one could debate on. did not know it was supposed to be some kinda encyclopedic listing of all the reasons anyone on earth might findπŸ˜†

sorry i cant provide nice quotes. πŸ˜†

chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: mythili_Kiran

Lighthouse ji!! Don't make any unncessary efforts to glorify the beauty of Debate Mansion and the debates that take place here.We really like this place and the people who come here,so whatever happens here we come here because we learn something new eveyday.So don't worry if any gentleman does'nt understand the beauty of DM😊 .Its not necesary for everyperson to understand the beauty of "Einstein's Theory of Relativity",they might be interested in someother concept like "Budget and Political influences" which is pretty tough and practical.BTW did'nt we learn tolerance ??????πŸ˜†

Cheers,

Mythili

excuse me, but is the topic about DM, or is it "the point of debate"?πŸ˜• will be sure to add to the discussion about DM if one is asked πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

lighthouse thumbnail

haha, but there's a lot wrong with what's been sent my way. just my opinion. hope stating my opinion and defending it vigorously will not be considered condescending now?πŸ˜›

1. tamasha was mentioned in the context of street-fights; the context shld have been clear given that movie-watching and novel-reading were also mentioned. wondered why you left those out. tamasha scores more brownie points? good. i knew that it would.πŸ˜‰

When you lead the argument with examples to drive your point home by progressively debasing the examples until you start using the word "TAMASHA" , that word becomes your focal point.

2. the topic does not ask for a referendum on DM. it is asking about "the point of debate", not DM. and it does not ask for grand reasons for why you or i or anyone else comes to DM. i am sure people come to DM and to other forums in general to also chat, make friends etc. Not sure those are very pertinent, as in primary, for the "point of debate". is it? yes/ no?😊

Exactly... The topic does not ask specifically to which group it is targeting the question hence the entire DM, debaters and silent readers are included.

3. for one side to suggest that another's point is secondary, irrelevant or perhaps even ridiculous in their opinion is standard practice. does not say "you are ridiculous". incidentally i do not even go as far, though one might want to hear some of the presidential debates to see how far people go actually go.

When you respond or address your opponent with "Ha Ha"  it becomes downright disrespectful IMO. Presidential debates too have code of conduct and a moderator and is not free for all.    Debating rule # 1. You are not selling anything or winning any contest (except DC) or prizes so it is not necessary to have only one solution or opinion. Quoting your views posted SRGMP (giving credit where it is due) " real world does not lend itself to precise answers, to simple night and day choices and calculations."πŸ‘

4. i think i have justified my opinion in the way i can. but what followed from you was a defensive personalized throw-back at me. why do i believe that? because the reference is strongly to me. and that's my opinion. contrast that with the rebuttal or debating put-down i made which i believe is valid in logic-driven debate.

You highlited the reason I had given for why I like debates and enjoy DM and  you responded with what else but  "ha  ha" so am i wrong in assuming that it was directed towards me...and ended with "explanations that i came up addresses that best IMO" therefore directly saying to me that in IYO I am wrong to form my opinion about myself.πŸ˜•

5. i cant be bothered taking dictation and directions from what others either here or elsewhere have said or quoted in their wisdom, if i dont believe it is pertinent to the context. i like to think for myself. but then that's me again. please dont take it as criticism now.

none taken.😊

6. and finally, getting to the point of this thread, why we debate, you said it first line. addiction. great. combine that with the learning track that has been suggested. well, given how learning's such a good thing, maybe then it's the kind of addiction we should all have πŸ˜‰

Are you agreeing with me or being satirical. Winky wink...

7. this thread was in debate mansion, right? sorry if i took it as someting one could debate on. did not know it was supposed to be some kinda encyclopedic listing of all the reasons anyone on earth might findπŸ˜†

Again state your views but don't go for the kill....you(not you personally) are not selling anything and clocking FF miles for driving the same point over and over.

sorry i cant provide nice quotes. πŸ˜†

Not refering to you personaly Rahul, but in general if we are going to liken Debating to any Commercial activity , it should be compared to Marketing and Newsroom 101. Keep the language  simple so it reaches the lowest common denominator. No hi tech jargon or mumbo jumbo fancy words IMO. Disclaimer: above is just my observation and not a rule.😊

πŸ˜ƒ

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

excuse me, but is the topic about DM, or is it "the point of debate"?πŸ˜• will be sure to add to the discussion about DM if one is asked πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

I posted this early in the morning somewhere around 5: 30 Am..I watched Prannoy Roy's Eco Survey Analysis on NDTV so I used that budget reference and Einstein was on the desktop so I used the reference of theory of relateivity.So don't bother about these much CB ji!!

nvmdπŸ˜‰(never mind delete is the abbreviation used by sareg Bhayya)

cheers,

Myth

chatbuster thumbnail

just wanted to respond here tho' i cld have easily ignored what you posted- just think we need to be clear going forward😊

incidentally, so we are clear that the topic was not about DM but about the "point of debate"?😊

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago
lighthouse thumbnail

incidentally, so we are clear that the topic was not about DM but about the "point of debate"?😊  .

Rahul, you are asking me to speak for the original poster which I wouldn't do but here is the original post again

Originally posted by: mkzara

this is a cute little topic. i see a lot of people on DM who say lets not talk about this topic anymore because u cant change someone's views and there's no point in debating if u dont have a chance. i dont feel that way. i think the point of debating is to let the other side know how u feel, u tell them what u stand for and listen to what they stand for. the point of a debate is ideally to convince someone but really to just open up their mind to things so everyone can see everyone else's opinion. i just believe debating is done to let other see and understand ur point of view even if they dont agree with it.

My understanding is that she is including the debaters as well silence readers by using the word "everyone"..

Everyone knows when we debate or express our opinions on DM , it is never with one person only. Silent readers might see something they liked or didn't like and hence become active participants like you and I became. Silent readers are very important part of debate forum or any forum for that matter and I don't think one can ever ignore them when talking or expressing their views.

Btw I leanrned the word "condescending" in my early teen school years.πŸ˜ƒ 

I wanted to address the most relevant part of your question and hence have not engaged in responding to entire rebuttal as we both have jobs to go to.πŸ˜†

chatbuster thumbnail

Rahul, you are asking me to speak for the original poster which I wouldn't do but here is the original post again

My understanding is that she is including the debaters as well silence readers by using the word "everyone"..

Everyone knows when we debate or express our opinions on DM , it is never with one person only. Silent readers might see something they liked or didn't like and hence become active participants like you and I became. Silent readers are very important part of debate forum or any forum for that matter and I don't think one can ever ignore them when talking or expressing their views.

Btw I leanrned the word "condescending" in my early teen school years.πŸ˜ƒ 

I wanted to address the most relevant part of your question and hence have not engaged in responding to entire rebuttal as we both have jobs to go to.πŸ˜†

well lightie (sorry but that's in fun now, hope it's ok to have some fun 😊), but what the poster is saying is still different from some of the perspective you adopted. their's was more a debator's perspective, yours more a silent person's. since it does not take much energy expenditure to be a silent participant in any field, street fights included, i am not sure listing their myriad reasons for reading/ watching will be particularly relevant or helpful IMO. am again not saying they dont happen to have their reasons, just that i dont think throwing a book of reasons always reflects prioritized value-add.

also, it is possible for debators to engage WITHOUT the presence of an audience. dont we get into debates one-to-one with others? dont we play chess with just another player even if no one is watching? so that's the perspective i find more important- why do people do so in the first place, burning up all that energy and time, people without whom the audience becomes irrelevant. remember- the audience has very little vested anyway, but what interests me is why the active types make that investment of time and energy.

why do we do so? it can be for some of the reasons the original poster came up with. but i also think it has to do with addiction (which oddly enuff you yourself suggested in another context), fun, and just a desire to bring the other guy to your side. dont know that most people actually debate because they want to learn, though there are some like that and though that might be an unintended outcome.

hope this makes more sense?😊

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago