what is the point of debates? - Page 7

Posted: 17 years ago

Debates serve the following
1. Badger the opponent.
2. receive various perspectives
3. while away some time.

4. Play it to the crowd with polulist talk...

5. Make a point nobody gets...
6. if you are lucky you can drive some point home... πŸ˜†

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
Originally posted by qwertyesque

Debates serve the following
1. Badger the opponent.
2. receive various perspectives
3. while away some time.

4. Play it to the crowd with polulist talk...

5. Make a point nobody gets...
6. if you are lucky you can drive some point home... πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†

wat? you not into serious education now? (teacher... need no education... leave the kid alone.. pink floyd) πŸ˜†

actually i believe most of that except 2., which is usually a corollary. learning behavior after all does not usually lead to addiction IMO. πŸ˜‰or as i found reading and learning all those texts 😊

all this is true methinks unless someone's a pro, and debating/ yapping away is a profession. then they better get their act together and learn.πŸ˜†

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago
Originally posted by mkzara

I havent been very active in DM recently but once I was quoted, I felt it was a good enough reason to come back into it for a little while.😊

IMO its an unfair comment to make that people dont debate to learn, I debate to learn, and I constantly debate online, in person, in school, in family gatherings, always. I read debates that I am not a part of to learn, because while i might mot have an opinion on many things I do like to see what all the brouhaha is about. There is so much that we dont know and there are so many people in this world who know nothing but will get up and argue a point, so rather than becoming one of those people I debate to learn so I could be a better, more rational, more logical person who is not prejudiced or biased due to ignorance. So yes people do debate to learn.

Learning is possible even in one-on-one debates since your opponent might know things and argue logically using facts and reasons so you can actually learn. unless you are speaking to imbeciles in which case u shudnt be debating with them.πŸ˜‰ But I debate with people I believe are intelligent and can function logically so I keep my mind open to what they have to say in order to learn because they might be aware of something I am not. As much as it pains me to admit, I dont know everything.πŸ˜­πŸ˜†

Yes of course in debates you wish the other person to come to your side, but most logical individuals do realize that is not always possible, especiallly in issues regarding religion and such. So we share our POVs in hope to promote tolerance and educate others so they dont succumb to bigotry which is fueled by ignorance and stereotypes. People debate to let others undersrtand even if they will never agree.

WELL SAID MKZARZ jiπŸ‘

misstates my position. 😊

so correct me if i am wrong in drawing following inference: in the theory which was advanced, debating was given to supposedly learn from and hear other perspectives. but in practice, it somehow ended up as ignoring or perhaps not even reading what someone else had written, to the extent of mischaracterizing their position? disconnect between theory and practice? between statements of purpose and action? between wanting to hear other perspectives and actually hearing them? πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Originally posted by chatbuster

🀣🀣🀣

@ Lighthouse ji!! Be brave and all the rest follows.Continue with your arguments which are really impressive😊.

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

🀣🀣🀣

@ Lighthouse ji!! Be brave and all the rest follows.Continue with your arguments which are really impressive😊.

🀣🀣🀣

arguments?πŸ˜†

🀣🀣🀣

arguments?πŸ˜†

πŸ˜ƒ

Argument in the sense:

• a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal
  • A discussion in which disagreement is expressed

I'm not speaking of this mathematics argument whose meaning is

"An independent variable of a function."

πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Originally posted by mkzara

... I debate to learn, and I constantly debate online, in person, in school, in family gatherings, always. I read debates that I am not a part of to learn, because while i might mot have an opinion on many things I do like to see what all the brouhaha is about. ... So yes people do debate to learn.

i sincerely believe that too. but unless someone's doing this for a living, it has to generally start with the fun/ entertaining aspect IMO. learning follows. just got the ordering different than you. 😊

btw, does brouhaha mean tamasha?πŸ˜‰

Learning is possible even in one-on-one debates ... But I debate with people I believe are intelligent and can function logically so I keep my mind open to what they have to say ...πŸ˜­πŸ˜†

good stuff. does that include reading what they have to say, so that their positions are not mischaracterized?πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

Yes of course in debates you wish the other person to come to your side, but most logical individuals do realize that is not always possible...

no-brainer. that's a freebie.😊

started with that in the first post i had in this thread, with the selling/ persuasive speaking aspects that later drew personal darts as rebuttal.πŸ˜† the stuff about distinguishing between messenger and message seems to have been missedπŸ˜†

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

πŸ˜ƒ

Argument in the sense:

a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal
  • A discussion in which disagreement is expressed

I'm not speaking of this mathematics argument whose meaning is

"An independent variable of a function."

πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

haha, am still looking for the nice part on "discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal"  πŸ˜‰

lemme know what you find specifically in that regardπŸ˜† good luckπŸ˜†

haha, am still looking for the nice part on "discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal"  πŸ˜‰

lemme know what you find specifically in that regardπŸ˜† good luckπŸ˜†

Is it not happening hereπŸ˜•,then how come we people are allowed to post our views!!!

BTW nobody expects anyone to reply the post like an essay answer in CBSE 10th class Civics exam like:

The advantages of Debate Mansion are :

M y t h i l
  1. i

The disadvantages of Debate Mansion are:

a s d f g
  1. h

and some one is not going to give 10/10 or 0/10 for our posts!!

Each responds to interesting post in her/his style.So in this process of disagreement ,the disagrement seems to be intoleranceπŸ˜†.

BTW I think  this topic is good for discussion not debate!!!

Regards,

Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago