Debate Mansion

Indian superstitions

renu_1919 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

What do you guys think of Indian superstitions?  Are you a superstitious person? Do you know how they came about?  Do any of you have any stories/situations that prove or disprove them?

Have you heard of any strange and totally mind-boggling superstitions? If so, share them.

Here are a couple that I know of:

-  bad luck if black cat crosses your path

-    good luck if black dog crosses your path

-    bad omen if someone sneezes right before you are about to start or do something

-    if your eye lid pulsates, it can be a sign of upcoming good or bad luck depending on whether it is your left or right eye.

Am I superstitious?... hate to admit it but I am sort of, depending on the situtation... 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
no, i dont think im superstitious, touch wood! 😆

as for stories i shall come back again with some 😃
Aparna_BD thumbnail
I am a bit !! 😳

The eyes pulsating thing !!. I don't walk under a ladder !! When my shoe/ slipper turns upside down i freak out that there will be a fight in the house . 😳

I hate all animals related superstition . Except the howling dog scares me . 😳
sweet freedom thumbnail
Originally posted by: renu_1919

-    bad omen if someone sneezes right before you are about to start or do something

i sneeze a lot, infront of ppl too..sometimes wen there about to start things, but it doesnt really make a differance...im not superstitious, but sometimes if something goes wrong, i say its bad luck, but thats just like...u know, not really meaning it wen u say it

heart girl thumbnail
i m not really superstitious but i was forced to b .. once i got very sick and a sant( not one of those who live on streets but hez a actual sant at a gurudwara) told me that it was coz of sum greh on me and he told my mom to give sum food (it was a combination of so many thing i don remember)  to those ppl who are poor and she did and after that my condition actually improved 😕 .. i noe sum ppl mite say its weird but... Edited by heart girl - 18 years ago
hydrogurl001 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
im not at all superstitous. they just cant tell whats going to happen next, and i mean, how can it tell you if youre going to have bad or good luck when it can vary 😕
hydrogurl001 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
you really are superstitous 😆
i barely know any superstitions at all 😆
Shezaadi thumbnail
I'm sort of superstitious but not like all the time.
I do sometimes believe in the eye thing, but I strongly believe in the evil eye(i don't know if that counts as superstition). But I don't believe in the black cat coming your way or stuff like that.
rebelqueen thumbnail
i'm very selectively superstitious-choose 2 believe only those things that will turn out 2 b gud 4 me...and even those arnd me..
mad_cap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
It may be interesting to explain that the word Superstition comes from the Latin Super, above; Stare, to stand. Those who escaped in the old hand-to-hand battles were called super-stites that is, they were standing above the slain. It is therefore a very appropriate word for those primitive beliefs that still stand in the great battle that is being waged by Reason.

Just as a child is always asking why, so primitive man endeavoured to find out the meaning of all the many wonders around him. When he could not explain, he satisfied himself and his children by inventing a fairy tale, and it is these primitive attempts at education that form the Popular Superstitions of the ages, many of which are very vigorous to-day.

Some interesting origins of superstitions:

1. Walking under a ladder

If we look back a few centuries, we find that Justice was originally content with a handy tree for the purpose of removing a malefactor as in the case of many American lynchings. But trees are not found in the streets of a town, so our resourceful ancestors used a ladder. This could be erected against any convenient wall, and in any street the rope was slung over one of the rungs; the offender removed, and all trace of the summary administration of Justice was easily cleared away. As in the case of lynchings, many an innocent man was hanged before trial, and any attempt made by a passing stranger to go under the ladder was resented as an attempt at rescue. All law-abiding citizens made it a rule to keep well away from a ladder when propped against a wall

It's bad luck to walk under a ladder. This came from the early Christian belief that a leaning ladder formed a triangle with the wall and ground. You must never violate the Holy Trinity by walking through a triangle, lest you be considered in league with the devil. (And you all know what good Christians did to people they suspected of being in league with the devil.)

The most logical explanation is that one should avoid walking under something that is most likely to fall and hurt you.

2. Sneezing before a journey

As far as sneezing is concerned, the Indian superstition of considering sneezing as a bad sign before a journey originates from the ancient thug tradition. The thugs considered anyone sneezing before undrtaking an expedition as a bad omen. Maybe it grew from the feeling that perhaps, one of their members is unwell and would be a handicap in their mission.

However, sneezing has other superstitious beliefs across the world. One such is from Scotland where it has been maintained that idiots are incapable of sneezing, and the power to do so has been deemed evidence of the possession of a certain degree of intelligence.

3. Cats crossing your path

In a stroke of feline racism, cats (esecially black) in the path are considered plain unlucky.
But remember, cats are wonderfully independent creatures; they obey no one. Because they are not obedient, in some circles they have a bad reputation - similar to independent women. But what kind of world would it be without cats - or independent women?
In Druid Celtic times, the cat stood for evil. Kindly ladies who looked after these cats were detonated as witches. Black cats have been a supernatural omen since the witch-hunts of the middle ages. This anti-cat fallacy takes colour from the fact that 'black' has dark connotations even today from frantically slathering whitening creams to dyeing our hair golden or burgundy, we are an anti-black nation of a collectively wheatish complexion. Another reason could be that cats drink milk and the 'believers' have reason to suspect cats without transparent digestive tracts. Out black spot, said Lady Macbeth and we never asked Shakespeare if she had a cat called Spot.
But what does this superstition really mean in black and white? a) That the red-green traffic lights are not working and the cats are strategically positioned on roads by espionage agencies to curtail pedestrian movement. b) That there are 'catty' hurdles ahead that a strider needs to be anonymously warned about. c) That God, who granted cats nine lives, uses them as celestial signposts. d) That sinking one's footsteps into feline ones may herald limb amputation for cat or man a bit cumbersome for the latter as the former has four legs.
So the legend paws us in all its prejudiced meow-meowing a black cat bodes bad luck and means that something unfortunate is headed your way. Anything but that the poor cat is just going somewhere.