Indian superstitions - Page 3

Posted: 18 years ago
Originally posted by renu_1919

guess that means you're punjabi too!

yes!!

Jas this my favourite one too, the one below
Touch wood but I am not superstitious.
While growing up I had never had to encounter all this, but in school, friends always had their little luck things, pray like this or write a wish and place it at the statue of mother mary u will score distinctions, it is tempting but I think I am not.
My warden in the hostel always tells me dont wash or cut ur hair on this day it is not good, no explannation is given.
I am not superstitious, this number thing and wearing a particular jersey for crickters is quite popular but none of them done anything earth shaking no world cup only personal glorification is their aim.
I do not like the stress on astrology on baseless beliefs, as young people we should be bold and courageous and not be superstitious.      
Originally posted by RUNJAL

eeeeeeeeeewwww malaii  yuck i hate it

I loved it too straight from the patila with some sugar sprinkled.
i never never believed in superstitions until i roomed with my best friend in university. her list is NEVER ENDING!! MY GAWWWWD!! after living with her for 3 years, now its all STUCK in my head so i keep applying the superstitions with my mom too (and she gets sooo irritated!) here are just a FEW:
- don't give someone salt in their hand, you both end up in a fight (thats the MOST common 1 coz we use salt everyday and it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to avoid giving someone SALT IN THEIR HAND!!??)
- during an eclipse, pregnant women shouldnt cut an apple, shouldn't tie their hair etc etc etc
- don't hand anyone a knife in their hand, you both end up in a fight
- another irritating one: don't rotate anything on your finger (like a keychain etc), your parents have a fight
- don't swing your legs if your feet don't touch the floor (your parents have a fight)
- don't sleep with shoes under your bed..
-PLUS following all the superstitions mentioned already!!

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYTHING WOULD CAUSE A FIGHTTT??arghhhh..imagine living with a person who would follow ALL OF THESE (plus more!!) we wud keep pulling her leg all the time!! hahahaha 😆
😆 fishi i think even if you follow all these rules with person who believes so many superstition you will definetly get irritated and end up fighting.. 😆 😉
I don't know if i mentioned the one where the sandal/ shoe is lying upside down . That means you will fight .................and you know my hubby often removes his shoe and puts it upside down very carfully infront of me just to hear me scream blue murder!!!! 😆 😆

Also i do believe in not passing the knife . I push it or keep it down near the other person and ask them to pick it up !! I am damn serious about these " fight ho jaye ga" superstitions !! 😳 Now i learnt some new ones and will try NOT to follow them !!

Also i believe in "nazar lag jayegi" very very very seriously . I avoid praising a family members love for me , money luck,or something good that happens . I am paranoid "nazar lag jayegi" and it will be taken away from me. 😳

Originally posted by Aparna_BD

Also i believe in "nazar lag jayegi" very very very seriously . I avoid praising a family members love for me , money luck,or something good that happens . I am paranoid "nazar lag jayegi" and it will be taken away from me. 😳

I am also very serious about this one.Everyone finds it really funny because my sister gets in trouble with me a lot for praising things randomly and too much.

I'd say our supersitions and beliefs are to a large extent interlinked to our culture and traditions, that have come down from generations.

Some of these, are now becoming obsolete in the face of education and science.
RUNJAL wrote:
now this is superstitious is just crazy

NEW DELHI (AP) - A 7-year-old girl wed a stray dog as part of a ritual to ward off the "evil eye" on her and her family in eastern India, a news agency reported Wednesday-------------------------------------- report.

No matter how much progressive we make, India will continue to have these contradictions. Quite distressing, I have seen in many cases women have been target of superstitions, my grandmother tells me of the time when widows were looked down and for superstitious reasons they were secluded. How bad can this be.

i kind of believe in superstitions and also dont. to b frank, some of them even happen[ it can b coincidence also]i take this one seriously 'never say i m too gud at this.[like ..i m the best in singing or dance or speechor.....]coz u will go down in tht field immediately.'