Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Omnipotent_Taco thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: TheUltimate

I am not against gays. Gay marriages is very debatable. I am ok them calling their union a marriage as long as it is not affecting the "traditional" marriage definition.

And how will two homosexuals, bisexuals, trannys, or hermies getting married affect the 'traditional' marriage definition? In fact, I believe this will only expand the marriage definition and make it more dynamic and fluid. Is this something to do with the fear of unions between men and women becoming quote unquote, 'extinct'?

Actually, scratch that- what is the traditional marriage definition anyway?

My views here may be inflammatory to some, but here goes. Marriage in itself is a man-made construct. They are not made in heaven, unlike what fairytale spinners who live in a candy floss world where unicorns play kabaddi and peacocks serve you tea would have you believe.

I am strictly talking about marriage here, not about relationships. In fact, I am a firm believer in the soul predetermining who its romantic partner/s may be in a certain lifetime. I am a die-hard lover of love and am not against the idea of getting married myself. What I am against, is the notion that marriage is the be-all and end-all of one's love life; like a stamp of approval of a relationship.

Marriage is actually a legally binding agreement between two individuals mainly for (1) protecting their gene pools, and (2) handling properties and assets. Ancient Talmudic/Hebrew law even went to the extent of stating that a man must marry his brother's widow in order to provide the resources required for her to live her life and secure the well-being of her offspring.

However, that is not to say that a marriage is supposed to be completely devoid of love; of course not, I'd be brutally cynical to believe otherwise. What I am saying here, is that marriage, being a legally binding agreement between two adults, should be permitted for people of all orientations.

If two gay/bi/transgender people in love would like to manage or share their respective assets with one another, I do not see why it should be disallowed. In fact, preventing queers from getting married is a violation of the fundamental human right to be recognized everywhere you go as a person before the law. Not to mention a violation of free will, but hey, free will is being stomped on everywhere you look.

And as for the OP's point about letting queers be- I don't get the hoo-haa queerphobia either. What two consenting people (or more, heh) do in their bedroom is nobody's business. They have a right to privacy.

I think what shocks most folks is the thought of gay/bi men and women or the in-betweens getting it on more than anything else πŸ˜† People are too accustomed to the thought of plugging the wires in the traditional sockets.
Edited by pinkfreud - 12 years ago
Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Petrouska

But sometimes, environment does play an important role in making an individual turn homosexual. Take Saudi Arabia for instance. It is probably one of the countries with a high number of gays and lesbians. It could probably be because of the stringent and dogmatic views of the country and its law. It's generally beleived that if the normal is forbidden, people take the abnormal path. In such countries, it is a crime for a man and woman who are not related to be seen together in public places. When people of the same sex gather for an event or are seen together, it does not raise suspision. And some people could see it a way of rebelling againt their country or religion. In some cases, if men and women experience traumatic experience at the hands of the opposite sex during childhood, then there is a possibility of these people seeking comfort and love from other people of their own sex. This may make them feel secure.

So, if an individual has taken the decision to be homosexual maturely, then there isn't a problem. Otherwise, they may require councelling.

This is the real misconception, dear. People don't 'become' or 'turn' homosexual due to any pressure or trauma. Either they are homosexual or they are not. Homosexuality is not a mental disease or a self-chosen lifestyle. Its a normal and positive sexual orientation just like heterosexuality, irrespective of the society or norms or traditions.
PemaKarpo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Rehanism

This is the real misconception, dear. People don't 'become' or 'turn' homosexual due to any pressure or trauma. Either they are homosexual or they are not. Homosexuality is not a mental disease or a self-chosen lifestyle. Its a normal and positive sexual orientation just like heterosexuality, irrespective of the society or norms or traditions.

True, and that is what even I thought I some time back and that's what even Wikipedia says, but there was an article some time back in a national newspaper, if I find the link, I'll definately add it. It did say whatever I said in my previous post. After reading the article, I thought it to be  a possibility.
PemaKarpo thumbnail
http://www.glow.cc/isa/become_gay.htm

This isn't the aticle that I was looking for, but it says in the 4th parah that environmental factors such as child trauma or being brought up and conditioned as a memeber of the opposite sex can be one of the reasons why people "turn" homosexual.

Research has shown that it is a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences,.[3] Research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, but no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors.[4]

Source: Wikipedia

Edited by Petrouska - 12 years ago
Rehanism thumbnail

True, and that is what even I thought I some time back and that's what even Wikipedia says, but there was an article some time back in a national newspaper, if I find the link, I'll definately add it. It did say whatever I said in my previous post. After reading the article, I thought it to be  a possibility.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but I really don't think one can 'become' homosexual due to any trauma or disease or any other external factor - most trustworthy medical and health organizations, including WHO, agree on this.

Those organizations and NGOs (like NARTH) claiming to be capable of 'curing' gays are mostly sham with zero credibility, mainly backed by conservative societies and churches.

Edited by Rehanism - 12 years ago
Arwen11 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
@Rehanism - I think Petrouska is right... In alot of conservative societies, where interactions with members of opposite sex is discouraged, there is a tendency to indulge in homosexual activities... I think it is even true for both Muslim and non-Muslim societies...I remember one of my (Indian) friends mentioned that many of girls in her college turned lesbian bcos of sexual needs. They studied in an all girl college and lived in the hostel ... so obviously any interactions with boys was discouraged... There were rumors around my college as well.

Off course.. u can't always tell if they are really homosexual or bi or just experimenting... May be it is just the teenage hormones phase and hence the confusion about sexual orientation πŸ˜• 
Edited by Arwen. - 12 years ago
Rehanism thumbnail

http://www.glow.cc/isa/become_gay.htm

This isn't the aticle that I was looking for, but it says in the 4th parah that environmental factors such as child trauma or being brought up and conditioned as a memeber of the opposite sex can be one of the reasons why people "turn" homosexual.

I am aware of the fact that being brought up among opposite sex might turn a boy effeminate, but that need not be same as being gay.
PemaKarpo thumbnail

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but I really don't think one can 'become' homosexual due to any trauma or disease or any other external factor - most trustworthy medical and health organizations, including WHO, agree on this.

Those organizations and NGOs (like NARTH) claiming to be capable of 'curing' gays are mostly sham with zero credibility, mainly backed by conservative societies and churches.

I'm not an expert eitherπŸ˜† and I was merely stating what I read in a newspaper. And the links provided in my previous post says more or less the same thing. That's why I consider it a possiblity and it appears plausible to meπŸ˜•
PemaKarpo thumbnail

I am aware of the fact that being brought up among opposite sex might turn a boy effeminate, but that need not be same as being gay.

It says;

From my wider studies, I conclude that a person finds him/herself with a homosexual orientation as a result of the interplay of several factors, including heredity, prenatal influence (a controversial subject, but with not only animal studies but some human studies to back it), and environmental factors such as childhood trauma or being brought up and conditioned as a member of the opposite sex. The latter is the background of a significant number of lesbians, for instance.

I don't know which parah you are talking about. It doesn't say anything about a guy acquiring feminine characteristicsπŸ˜•
what advantages or disadvantages if any do you see in a homosexual?