How can the cartoon issue be resolved ? - Page 2

Posted: 18 years ago
I dont know the solution is, but I do know that, that watever Muslims are doing right now to show thier anger, is somthing which will hurting Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H)'s soul even more then the actual cartoon.

there are ways of expressing anger, for example by writting articles and letters to the Danish goverment, and to that cartoonist.

Alas, Muslims are not doing that. they are doing somthing which Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H.)never did in his life. People used to throw stones at him, and in return, he used to pray to Allah, to show them the right path.

why cann't we do that now??

The Danish Penal Code: Section 266b States:

"Any person who publicly or with the intention of dissemination to a wide circle of people makes a statement or imparts other information threatening, insulting, or degrading a group of persons on account of their race, color, or national or ethnic origin, belief" or sexual orientation shall be liable to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years."

So, that person should be treated in accordance to the laws of the country The Danish Penal Code.

That is what rational people would expect. An apology is not enough for breaking the law, especially when it had such a wide-scale impact.

Originally posted by Vishesh

Who are Rational People ?

Angry Mob?

Not them. What they are doing is not the solution.

But, if you make laws for a country, you have to follow them and put the person on trial. The outcome will be in the hands of the court. Otherwise remove the law so no one can complain about it!

Originally posted by T.

The Danish Penal Code: Section 266b States:

"Any person who publicly or with the intention of dissemination to a wide circle of people makes a statement or imparts other information threatening, insulting, or degrading a group of persons on account of their race, color, or national or ethnic origin, belief" or sexual orientation shall be liable to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years."

So, that person should be treated in accordance to the laws of the country The Danish Penal Code.

That is what rational people would expect. An apology is not enough for breaking the law, especially when it had such a wide-scale impact.

Some how that doesn't make complete sense to me . What is the source of tha ifo  .T ? Also they certainly will be having a freedom of press that they claim about !! So , it doesn't make entire sense . It seems like half information to me about the Danish law.
Originally posted by Aparna_BD

Some how that doesn't make complete sense to me . What is the source of tha ifo  .T ? Also they certainly will be having a freedom of press that they claim about !! So , it doesn't make entire sense . It seems like half information to me about the Danish law.

Yes, they do have Freedom of expression (Section 77 of the Danish Constitution). However, that is regulated by the courts.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2006/781/in3.htm

Here is an article which gives more insight into this matter and it has the same citation of the code which I gave.

An excerpt from it:

a report issued by the Vienna-based European Monitoring Centre on Racism and Xenophobia in 2004 stated that Section 266b covers oral and written expressions, pictures, caricatures and also symbolic acts or objects.

"Case law inter alia shows that burning crosses are covered by the provision. Regarding Nazi or neo- Nazi symbols case law shows that the courts have dealt mainly with the use of the swastika as a violation of section 266b."

And the Danish government has acted on hate speech by invoking its Penal Code and anti-racism legislature.

Originally posted by Vishesh

T.
When i wrote "Apology"...

i thought that.. when Mob is angry.. and doing killings and destruction. that time.. the best way to bring peace. is "Apology". (Even if Danish ppl were Right, they shud apologise now).. Bcoz Angry Mob is not Rational.. and is acting on Emotional and Sentimental feelings.

The Law and other Actions.. must be done. but these things takes time. But right now we need something to calm down ppl. and a sincere Apology now will work.

I agree that an apology takes less time. But, even though the paper apologized, the mobbing continues. So I dont think they will care.

Originally posted by T.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2006/781/in3.htm

Here is an article which gives more insight into this matter and it has the same citation of the code which I gave.

An excerpt from it:

a report issued by the Vienna-based European Monitoring Centre on Racism and Xenophobia in 2004 stated that Section 266b covers oral and written expressions, pictures, caricatures and also symbolic acts or objects.

"Case law inter alia shows that burning crosses are covered by the provision. Regarding Nazi or neo- Nazi symbols case law shows that the courts have dealt mainly with the use of the swastika as a violation of section 266b."

And the Danish government has acted on hate speech by invoking its Penal Code and anti-racism legislature.

Can i ask what is al- ahram ?  Can you be sure that the research done by this online news site has given valid information ? Is this site a valid site that is acceptable Internationaly ?

o.k i looked it up - its a local Egyptian Newspaper . No offense to anyone , but is it possible that this Newpaper could not have accurate information about Danish Laws  ??? I mean if one could pick up this news from a Danish Newspaper or any one of the Scandinavian Country that knows the laws better , i would have more faith on it .

I mean i personally don't expect al- ahram to know the Indian laws all that well , i can't expect it to know Danish laws.
Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 years ago

Can i ask what is al- ahram ?  Can you be sure that the research done by this online news site has given valid information ? Is this site a valid site that is acceptable Internationaly ?

Al-Ahram is a newspaper in Cairo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Ahram

Anyway, the info researched looks valid to me. Try googling for the information online and you get the same thing. 

Also, I read the same thing in Arab News, a leading newspaper in Saudi Arabia ... this is an opinion based article, but it pretty much quotes the same sections of the code.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=77 662&d=12&m=2&y=2006

Edited by T. - 18 years ago

o.k i looked it up - its a local Egyptian Newspaper . No offense to anyone , but is it possible that this Newpaper could not have accurate information about Danish Laws  ??? I mean if one could pick up this news from a Danish Newspaper or any one of the Scandinavian Country that knows the laws better , i would have more faith on it .

I mean i personally don't expect al- ahram to know the Indian laws all that well , i can't expect it to know Danish laws.

That's valid, but I doubt it that they would coz mostly European countries are the ones in hot water. They would not want to implicate themselves.

Originally posted by T.

That's valid, but I doubt it that they would coz mostly European countries are the ones in hot water. They would not want to implicate themselves.

That Country has free press as we all know . Why won't a competitor Danish Newspaper not pick up this news and flount it .  Also why wouldn't  any other European or Scandinavian Newspaper print these facts . Why won't BBC , CNN , MSNBC , FOX News etc etc print this ???????????Infact , they will get support from the rioters and since there is freedom of press the Goverment can not classify this information .

Also if this was a fact , why wouldn't a Muslim Scholar/ Lawyer from Denmark who knows the law well bring this up as an issue and ask the Goverment to have the Cartoonist arrested on these grounds ???????

.T no offense , this simply isn't a logical explanation .😛

I can't take a word of just any News agency for such facts . I mean its known that in the Arab World there is no freedom of speach , let alone Press . So its expected to not just be biased but un-reliable .

Nor do i trust any information from Wikepedia as its open to any one who wants to create a page , and edit information.

No offense ya .
__________________________________________________________ _

As for some of those European News papers that re- printed those Cartoons again , obviously did not do so in the best interest and were wrong to do so  .

But this thread is about looking for solutions to the issue !!
Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 years ago