How can the cartoon issue be resolved ? - Page 3

Posted: 18 years ago
Originally posted by Aparna_BD

That Country has free press as we all know . Why won't a competitor Danish Newspaper not pick up this news and flount it .  Also why wouldn't  any other European or Scandinavian Newspaper print these facts . Why won't BBC , CNN , MSNBC , FOX News etc etc print this ???????????Infact , they will get support from the rioters and since there is freedom of press the Goverment can not classify this information .
End of January: Some or all of the cartoons were reprinted between October 2005 and the end of January 2006 in major European newspapers from the Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia, Belgium and France. (wikipedia.org with citations)

They would not publish it because the general sentiment is the same. US and UK are treading very carefully around the issue because it involves freedom of the press. If they publish something like that, their own relations with Denmark are affected. They do not want to get involved in this saga. The Press is never completely free of politics.

Also if this was a fact , why wouldn't a Muslim Scholar/ Lawyer from Denmark who knows the law well bring this up as an issue and ask the Goverment to have the Cartoonist arrested on these grounds ???????

They did so from the beginning, when the cartoons were first published in Sept 2005. They sent letters and protested initially, but the paper never apologized until January 2006!

.T no offense , this simply isn't a logical explanation .😛

I can't take a word of just any News agency for such facts . I mean its known that in the Arab World there is no freedom of speach , let alone Press . So its expected to not just be biased but un-reliable .

They are quoting the Danish Legal Code and Case Law which applied to  Jesus' caricatures. How is that unreliable?

I agree that the Arab Press (i.e. Saudi Arabia) is not as free as that of the West, but the freedom of the press has increased quite a bit in the Arab world. I know because I have been reading Arab News for quite a long time now. Some articles which were not being allowed earlier are now published freely and I myself was surprised at reading them.

Nor do i trust any information from Wikepedia as its open to any one who wants to create a page , and edit information.

I dont trust it completely either, but I do check the sources (they are cited) and they seemed valid to me.

No offense ya .

None taken 😊
__________________________________________________________ _

As for some of those European News papers that re- printed those Cartoons again , obviously did not do so in the best interest and were wrong to do so  .

Correct.

But this thread is about looking for solutions to the issue !!

Exactly, and I simply gave a solution according to my opinion.

Originally posted by Vishesh

Aparna ! u r right ! we can't believe any site blindly.. Even many newspapers/channels in India supports some specific parties.

okie.. i got this info from BBC site..
BBC Site..4th FEB
<<The cartoons originated in Denmark's Jyllands-Posten paper and have been reprinted in newspapers in France, Germany, Italy, Hungary, the Netherlands and Spain - who say they were exercising their right to free speech.

Jyllands-Posten has apologised for causing offence to Muslims, although it maintains it was legal under Danish law to print the cartoons.>>

ABCNEWS Feb 16th
<<<In a statement published late Monday, Jyllands-Posten apologized and said it regretted offending Muslims. It stood by the decision to print the cartoons, saying it was within Danish law.

The drawings "were not intended to be offensive, nor were they at variance with Danish law, but they have indisputably offended many Muslims for which we apologize," the daily said Monday.>>>

so if Jyllands-Posten said like this .. it was legal. then i think they wud have discussed it with their legal department.

But abt Laws we can't be sure, just after reading two three lines or three pages of it. Generally Laws have many sections, para, sub clause.. and many loopholes and other things. So we can't say anything clearly unless we get it in Detailed Version and from some Trustworthy Legal organisation.

Exactly. The law is a very grey area and it all depends on a judge's/jury's interpretation of the facts. Where one court passes one judgement, another court overrules it. So it is very dynamic.

If the Danish Supreme Court gives the ruling - that it was not offensive, I will accept it. 

As for the validity of the sources: I personally believe they are valid and not made up. It just depends on which law is given more weightage by a judge.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. 😊

i agree wid all of u guys
nuksaan hamara hora raha hai danish ka nahin so plz
pakistaniz in pakistan hav sum sense
we know da cartoons were wrong and even im furious abt dem and i feel lyk hammering dem but dis violence wont take us anywher and it will hurt our prophet muhammad PBUH he even forgave his enemies and he wanted to spread peace but wot ure doing will hurt him more.
anyway talks shud tak place and apologies shud be shown
violence shud b stopped.ppl shud try to understand islam porperly and never misjudge it especially if they dont no anything abt it 😡
Guys, to me am not sure what to say....Firstly I understand that muslims were hurt due to this picture and it was not good on press to publish something like this. I really don't have any regards for anyone who would hurt someone with such pictures. However, I myself am not extremist so I won't understand their feelings. I don't get upset when someone mock at my God...even pictures about Lord Ganapati were used ton toilet seats some time ago in some western countires (i dont remember the whole thing now..just blurred memory...but I really don't care. If I think my God or my Ideal is respectable I would respect that God/Human/Ideal but if my neighbour mock at it I would not give a darn nad live my life as normal. so i am not sure here... I would think press should apologize if it's really important for people, and ocne they do extremist should understnad nad move on with life. Edited by sowmyaa - 18 years ago
Originally posted by euro_pakigal

i agree wid all of u guys
nuksaan hamara hora raha hai danish ka nahin so plz
pakistaniz in pakistan hav sum sense
we know da cartoons were wrong and even im furious abt dem and i feel lyk hammering dem but dis violence wont take us anywher and it will hurt our prophet muhammad PBUH he even forgave his enemies and he wanted to spread peace but wot ure doing will hurt him more.
anyway talks shud tak place and apologies shud be shown
violence shud b stopped.ppl shud try to understand islam porperly and never misjudge it especially if they dont no anything abt it 😡

I totally agree with you!
I can't say that this issue is one to easily forgive and forget, but what I can say is that to take this whole fiasco as a lesson to be learned by ALL RELIGIONS, ALL CULTURES, ALL ETHNICITIES, ALL RACES AND ALL PEOPLE to know your limits and most imoportantly RESPECT ALL RELIGIOUS BELIEFS AND VALUES OF ONE ANOTHER.

I'm sure everyone can now see and realize how one stupid remark or action can hurt, insult and disrepect people in more ways than one. If God see's us all as equals, why can't we humans?

What's done is done and we can't go back in the past nor can we bring back the lost lives that were lost during the riots and protests. But what can we can do is take the time to understand, RESPECT and value eachother's religion, beliefs and values.

It does take a lot to respect a person's religion, but it doesn't take a lot to disrespect a person's religion and I'm sure we have all witnessed that. We don't have all the time in the world so why waste it fighting and killing innocent people when you can live a peaceful, respectable life. 😃 Edited by TiN24 - 18 years ago

Originally posted by Uk_Princez

nah i dun think dey should accept da apoligie cuz wat dey did was rong so i think the drawer should hav his HEAD cut off.

We are not living in a barbaric age.

It is wrong, the cartoon drawings and all. But if we, and all the Muslims in the world, start doing unnecessary things, like burning flags, and whatsoever, it'll put our Prophet at shame even more. The Prophet wanted us to be peaceful, the cartoons were wrong, but we should still follow the Prophet and be patient and calm like he was
Yes the Toons were offenive but why should the issue be raised again and again? In India a minister from Uttarpradesh raised inflammatory speeches, he has passed death sentence against the cartoonist.
to date he has not been arrested, no body wants to touch him especially the samajvadi party that rules UP. It is politics that is forcing people to come out with ourageous statments, sanity can only prevail if we do not react in kind. I just read in a newspaper a Gujarati has also instituted a reward to whoever cuts an arm or gauges the eye of MF HUssain the famous painter in protest against his nude portrayal of devis. Now we are just going overboard when all religions preach let bygones be bygones. Let the issue die a natural death by not responding.