Country Policy for Negotiation/Kidnapper

Posted: 18 years ago
Some country have a policy not to negotiate with Kidnappers. With present situation in Iraq we hear lots of kidnapping of American journalist, citizen and then kidnapper asking to release some of their prisoner or asking for ransom. United States was one of those who did said strict "no" to negotiation for their Hostage. However, now they may pay Ransom as per their new policy. (reference: http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/02/20/us.hostage.policy/inde x.html)

My questions-
1.     Do you agree with any country having strict policy about not negotiating with Kidnapper no matter what!
Or
2. You think that they should treat each case separately and then decide whether to negotiate or not.

I think it should be a "strict No". This is like blackmailing and often people kidnap and hijack planes to get some terrorists released who in turn cause more destruction. I have not seen people doing kidnapping and all for good cause. Also, a strict "No" would discourage the kidnappers/hijackers from carrying out such activities as they know that their demands are not going to be fulfilled even if they do that.
That's what I think "strict no" ....ofcourse, it's very difficult to say this when your own someone is being held...but if the policy is strict no...i think its better.

yes, Apaharan is really good movie. Seems very much true and you can feel that this is exactly what could be going on in real life. Ajay ofcourse, suits best in such roles.Edited by sowmyaa - 18 years ago
I remember a bit hazily that India had said something similar about not wanting to negotiate with terrorists , but were not left with any choice but to do so in the 1999 case of India- Nepal flight hijacking case .

The India- Nepal flight coming from Nepal was hijacked by the Pakistani based terrorists . They demanded release of some Kashmiri millitants .The flight was taken to Kandhar , and India had requested the Taliban goverment to assist them in capturing the terrorists . The flight had some 300 passengars , and i recall one newly wed Couple on their honey moon , the husband was killed by the millitant to threaten India that they will be slowly killing every passengar on board . In that situation , India was left no choice but to give into the demands of those terrorists .

I think its easy for Bush to say that " he will not negotioate with terrorists " but in a situation similar to what India faced , when the flight was hijacked ( not from India) so that one can't blame Indian security . And the flight was taken to a Country like Afghanistan where the Goverment then was a hostile bunch of Talibanis with a Medival mentality . Faced with this situation , even Bush would have had no choice but to give in.

Its easier to comment , that they will not negotiate . But faced with tough situations one has no choice .
Yes, Aparna I remember that case very well. And I know this is very very very delicate situation for any country with Janta's pressure on one side, country responsibility and stuff and if my loved one was in that plane I would curse the president forever. However, if you think if they are demanding a terrorist to be freed I really don't think that it should be done. If that terrorist is freed to fee passanger of that plane that very terrorist could be the one flying 911 flight. Like Vishesh said, saving life of bunch of people could make other bunch of innocent get killed. and also they would then know that if we kidnapp their citizen they'll fulfil our demands. If soldier on border can give their lives to save country from invasion why can't sometimes in some situation normal citizen give their life and not expect country to release such dreadful, terrorist creatures. I would still support for being strict no.
Its easier to comment , that they will not negotiate . But faced with tough situations one has no choice .

But I totally agree with your above statement. its very true.
Originally posted by sowmyaa

Yes, Aparna I remember that case very well. And I know this is very very very delicate situation for any country with Janta's pressure on one side, country responsibility and stuff and if my loved one was in that plane I would curse the president forever. However, if you think if they are demanding a terrorist to be freed I really don't think that it should be done. If that terrorist is freed to fee passanger of that plane that very terrorist could be the one flying 911 flight. Like Vishesh said, saving life of bunch of people could make other bunch of innocent get killed. and also they would then know that if we kidnapp their citizen they'll fulfil our demands. If soldier on border can give their lives to save country from invasion why can't sometimes in some situation normal citizen give their life and not expect country to release such dreadful, terrorist creatures. I would still support for being strict no.

Soumya , you have lives of 300 people on one hand , and on the other hand 3 terrorists who could attack your Country .
Its important to look at the current issue , and look at the lives of those 300 people where not just 300 people will die , but maybe a family bread earner , some old persons only child , the parents of young children ............basicaly 300 families will be destroyed . You can't ignore their pain .

As for looking at the future and thinking of what might those terrorists do????  Its more important to tighten the security and fight any future attacks by the goverment in such circumstances . Have the intelligence that will intercept and forsee the future attacks planned by terrorists .The Indian intelligensia will have to work twice as hard to be a step ahead of those terrorists .
Originally posted by Aparna_BD

Soumya , you have lives of 300 people on one hand , and on the other hand 3 terrorists who could attack your Country .
Its important to look at the current issue , and look at the lives of
those 300 people where not just 300 people will die , but maybe a
family bread earner , some old persons only child , the parents of
young children ............basicaly 300 families will be destroyed .
You can't ignore their pain .

I think if we negotiate, the terrorist will actually achieve their side of the bargain. And if they achieve or fulfil what they want, do you think that will stop them to just kill 300 people anyways? those bread earners, old person, child. If they can hijack and plane they can always create comunal riots of anything and get people killed. negotiating with terrorist is giving up ..and if they get their bargain fulfilled they can hurt as anyways and get people killed. That's what I am saying aparna exactly what you said "we have lives of 300 people on one hand and just 3 terrorist to attack our country" so its like 300 people vs millions of people?
Originally posted by sowmyaa

I think if we negotiate, the terrorist will actually achieve their side of the bargain. And if they achieve or fulfil what they want, do you think that will stop them to just kill 300 people anyways? those bread earners, old person, child. If they can hijack and plane they can always create comunal riots of anything and get people killed. negotiating with terrorist is giving up ..and if they get their bargain fulfilled they can hurt as anyways and get people killed. That's what I am saying aparna exactly what you said "we have lives of 300 people on one hand and just 3 terrorist to attack our country" so its like 300 people vs millions of people?

Firstly , i gave you the solution- It would be to have a intelligensia that is far superior than the terrorisits , they should be able to intercept the terrorists attacks and stop them before they happen .

Secondly , Soumya if you disagree with this , tell me what would you have done in the India- Nepal flight hijacking case , once the flight was taken to Kandhar ??? Do you have a better solution ?
Originally posted by Vishesh

Sowmyaa...
That became a political problem..
and Junta get involved in that.

and Government is nothing.. but bunch of political leaders.. who needs votes of junta !

in India-Nepal problem.. i wud have injected those terrotist with some Disease virus..like "Aids" or something which is fatal.. but brings death later on...and then wud have them freed. 😊

Vishesh , i was reminded of this one scare in New.Delhi some years ago . It was said there was some weirdo who was going poking people passer bys with infected needles and leaving behind needles in cinema hall seets that had been infected with the AIDS virus . It was really very frightening , and i recall avoinding PVR cinema , a famous multiplex during that scare .😃

So , that has its disadvantages too !!😆