Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*dolly* thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

"Strict No".. to kidnappers

Can you give a single historical example of any conflict that was resolved with no negotiation whatsoever.Even WW2 ended by two groups of men sitting in a room and signing a piece of paper...."don't drop any more nukes on us please!"
In this environment, I think the only thing that could really discourage hostage taking & hostage execution  would be some kind of special forces raid that resulted in the internet publication of videos showing the beheading of the hostage takers. Sending the very specific message of "try this any more and you'll be the ones being decapitated with a blunt breadknife".
I think it would have to be thatspecific,

"we will not negotiate with kidnappers" line is half policy to prove that President B or whomever is tough on crime. As above, if it were Bush's daughters, he'd negotiate. If it was nuclear holocaust being threatened, he'd better negotiate.

I agree that notoriously giving in to the demands of kidnappers sets one up to have kidnappings in the future .If a particular group of people feel that it is profitable to kidnap americans  for e.g., and they think that's morally ok, they are going to do it.

I can't say that I would approve of one approach over the other. I believe that the best approach is just to be objective about the risks.I would like to take the path that saves the most lives. So each individual case requires distinction.

Edited by dolly - 18 years ago
sowmyaa thumbnail
Originally posted by: Vishesh

Sowmyaa...
That became a political problem..
and Junta get involved in that.

and Government is nothing.. but bunch of political leaders.. who needs votes of junta !

in India-Nepal problem.. i wud have injected those terrotist with some Disease virus..like "Aids" or something which is fatal.. but brings death later on...and then wud have them freed. 😊

i really liked this idea...probably they should find something similar to this so when they are open they really can't do much 😡
sowmyaa thumbnail
Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Firstly , i gave you the solution- It would be to have a intelligensia
that is far superior than the terrorisits , they should be able to
intercept the terrorists attacks and stop them before they happen .

Yes, I liked that solution. i think thats the best way to go....

Secondly , Soumya if you disagree with this , tell me what would you
have done in the India- Nepal flight hijacking case , once the flight
was taken to Kandhar ??? Do you have a better solution ?

i don't think that my solution would be the "better" one...but i would advise to have a iron-heart.