Muslims in Indian Army

Posted: 18 years ago

There has been some heat going on about the survey that was/is  conducted to find out the percentage of Muslims in Indian Army/armed forces with respect to Muslim population in India along with their roles and titles..? Do you think it is justified.?

On one hand people come up with things like Wipro is owned by Asim Premji, who is a Muslim himself, but does that mean that corresponding percentage of Muslims work in Wipro, then why target armed forces.

On the other hand govt is trying to defend it.

What do you think.? Is govt communalising the whole exercise.?

Ya I read this article yesterday on rediff..

http://feeds.indiasnews.net/?rid=14554651904e6e1a&cat=701ee9 6610c884a6&f=1
Edited by sowmyaa - 18 years ago
I am adding a couple of links here (sorry about that):

http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/feb/14guest.htm

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?
fodname=20060214&fname=nda&sid=1

I think it is again politics and media. I think Media just need some news to print and they want anything sensitive issue so it can draw attention and creat havoc. To me it's just news that media want to print something and politician wants attention on basis of religion. thats it! I mean, why do you want to survey, how many muslims as per their population are in army, how may gujjus are in army, how many tamilians are in army..this is just useless....they don't have story so they come up with something. Edited by sowmyaa - 18 years ago
Yes, Vishes, I agree survey makes sense and are important..but why only Muslims on headlines. We have lots of Gujjus who are not in army, lot of Kerelians, lot of Tamilians and also plp from Bengal in indian army. Most of the plp are Sikhs, Punjabis, Lots of Gorkhas, they have Maratha regiment etc. then survey is good for Indian Army and to keep with indian army..why they publish putting Muslims on headline. 'coz they want something sensational...they know that HIndu/Muslim is very sensitive issue even today. Being brought up in Gujarat who have seen worst of riots over hindu/muslims i hate to see such headlines ..why they din't put headlines saying "less Gujjus in indian army-survey" they have those info in small letters inside article somewhere. They want sensation that's media....that's why they put "muslims" on headlines..which is just rediculous.
the survey being made is not at all justified..
/it really makes no sense..
//it is not at all required..is it???
percentage of Muslims in Indian Army/armed forces with respect to Muslim population in India along with their roles and titles..? Do you think it is justified.?

On one hand people come up with things like Wipro is owned by Asim Premji, who is a Muslim himself, but does that mean that corresponding percentage of Muslims work in Wipro, then why target armed forces.

On the other hand govt is trying to defend it.

The topic has not been structured well, and linking it with wipro does not make sense coz it is a private company.
The government has given clarifications, the issue wasblown out of proportion any government can take survey about the general economic and educational conditions of the communities. But to say that it was aimed at only finding out how many Muslims and would try to compensate for the lack of it or otherwise i was rebutted by the Army chief as merit and valour are the prime criteria for joining the armed forces. The government has also given its side of the story a Committe (SAchar committee is looking into certain aspects of minorites and their general status).
i look at it as an another attempt to further alienate two peacefully coexisting religions and gather up muslim votebank by the politicians 😡 . the whole idea in itself is ridiculous given that people are very sensitive on these issues.
        what do people tend to conclude from this survey
1)if the propotion in army is less than that in the country...most of them will conclude that there is bias in the army which is why there are less muslims there(instead of the right conclusion that maybe being a soldier is not a preferred proffesion with muslims). so there will be a demand for quota/reservation in the army which the govt will happily agree to and there goes the quality of army down the drains (since now the selection is done on the basis of faith instead of capability)
2) if the propotion is more in the army the obvious conclusion will be that somehow muslims have taken advantage of thier minority and instil a sense of insecurity in the hindu public(scars of india/pak riots and wars are still fresh)....as to will they fight fairly if pitted against other muslim brethren .we are taking about starting a small civil war here 🤢 .
     i fail to see anything constructive come out of it , they could have simply surveyed how much does every state contribute to it .
      also while we are it why not survey how many sucessful muslim filmactors are there in bollywood vs to the propotion in population, how many sportspersonalities are there vs the propotion in majority and so on. 🤢 🤢 🤢
Originally posted by pj04

i look at it as an another attempt to further alienate two peacefully coexisting religions and gather up muslim votebank by the politicians 😡 . the whole idea in itself is ridiculous given that people are very sensitive on these issues.
        what do people tend to conclude from this survey
1)if the propotion in army is less than that in the country...most of them will conclude that there is bias in the army which is why there are less muslims there(instead of the right conclusion that maybe being a soldier is not a preferred proffesion with muslims). so there will be a demand for quota/reservation in the army which the govt will happily agree to and there goes the quality of army down the drains (since now the selection is done on the basis of faith instead of capability)
2) if the propotion is more in the army the obvious conclusion will be that somehow muslims have taken advantage of thier minority and instil a sense of insecurity in the hindu public(scars of india/pak riots and wars are still fresh)....as to will they fight fairly if pitted against other muslim brethren .we are taking about starting a small civil war here 🤢 .
     i fail to see anything constructive come out of it , they could have simply surveyed how much does every state contribute to it .
      also while we are it why not survey how many sucessful muslim filmactors are there in bollywood vs to the propotion in population, how many sportspersonalities are there vs the propotion in majority and so on. 🤢 🤢 🤢

Very well said !!👏👏 Such surveys will cause more friction than anything . The fact of the matter is in India minorties are not discriminated against in public places/ companies on the basis of religon , be it a corporation , Goverment services ,Bollywood , Sports Industry . There are certain areas some communities excell in . Example one knows in the art field & music one tends to find more Bengalis, South Indians , in I.T area you have South Indians , in the Film Industry you have the Muslims etc etc !!

Such surveys are not just a waste of time but they will make people feel their are prejudices ...........what will happen next will be reservations . The problem with reservation is that it doesn't guarantee the best of talents , in the armies case best millitary men !! Now that will be injustice not having the best of millitary men in the armed forces !!
Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 years ago
i dont know about in the army and stuff but these kind of survey's should be done. i feel that sometimes there is underlying prejudice that people dont want to accept if there is no prejudice then what's the harm and if there is maybe "welfare of minorities" isn't a bad thing. i just feel that these kinds of survey yeah cause a lot of problems but they also let u know how fair somethings are. i mean for example (hypothetical) if a company india hires 5 muslim people in 10 years then i think u can assume that there might be a problem there. i feel these surveys are necessary and people should look out for the minorities of a nation , gujjus, sikh's, budhists, etc.