Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pj04 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: mkzara

i dont know about in the army and stuff but these kind of survey's should be done. i feel that sometimes there is underlying prejudice that people dont want to accept if there is no prejudice then what's the harm and if there is maybe "welfare of minorities" isn't a bad thing. i just feel that these kinds of survey yeah cause a lot of problems but they also let u know how fair somethings are. i mean for example (hypothetical) if a company india hires 5 muslim people in 10 years then i think u can assume that there might be a problem there. i feel these surveys are necessary and people should look out for the minorities of a nation , gujjus, sikh's, budhists, etc.

maybe you are right mkzara, except for the last part, if the minorities get the same facilities as the majority , why would they expect someone looking out for them. for example...let us take a gujju...now he gets born in the same hospitals as the majority, he ends up in the same education system as the majority, he graduates out like the rest of the majority but when it comes to competing for the job or a coveted education/degree, he suddenly feels that he should be given a special preference since he is in minority(meaning he should get it becoz of his religion, caste etc not becoz he is good enuf for it)...now fair is that to the rest of the competitors.

i am opposed to this attitude becoz i have seen the downside of it, years back i was selected for a certain professional education by an all india competition. the competition had negative marking. out of 30 seats that were to be filled ...20 of them fell in some reservation category or the other....the 10 candidates chosen from non reservation category ...the cut off mark was 92%...for reservation category...it was -20%. this led to a frustation and segregation in the class. this was not all...these 20 candidates had a hard time passing the course(not only becoz they did not have capabilities but also becoz they strongly believed that they can get jobs on the basis of thier caste so they were not required to put in effort...oddly they turned out right...almost all of them are in govt jobs in reservation category today)....now think these phenomenon being repeated million times and you can see how wasteful it is.

another problem is that it is not the downtrodden who are benefitted by all this(they are the one govt targets by this plans) but becoz of beauracracy and corruption ,it is the people who actually do not need help that end up in those places.

anyways coming back to the issue at hand...hindu/muslims have a very fragile peace in india(thanks to years of brainwashing by selfserving politicians) and anything can rock that boat pretty fast including a meaningless survey. 

Edited by pj04 - 18 years ago
Kay Kay thumbnail
As is there a flip side to every issue, so too must be the case herein.

The survey probably On one hand reveal the actual figures or current percentage of Muslims in the armed forces as well as other faiths and On the other it will open avenues of employment or should I call it absorbtion of people of different faiths into the armed forces, which in turn will make our armed forces a true and composite representative of different faiths.    Edited by Kay Kay - 18 years ago
cutiepie1 thumbnail
Alright, so they did back off on the armed forces thing. The survey is now going to exclude the armed forces.

Check it out here
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Originally posted by: cutiepie1

Alright, so they did back off on the armed forces thing. The survey is now going to exclude the armed forces.

Check it out here

Thx for the news clip ! I think what the army said made sense !
Kay Kay thumbnail

Originally posted by: cutiepie1

Check it out here

If you will read my post clearly, you will note that my comments were to the the likely reasons and the outcome of the survey if at all it was to be.

Edited by Kay Kay - 18 years ago