Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Dolly like i said Music is already taught to all in Junior and Middle level in Schools , but you mentioned not seriously , which is right .But its fairly serious !!

But those kids that have interest towards Music usually take it up as an extra curricular and then as an extra curricular activity it is taught quite seriouly . I am sorry i just can't understand this topic too well as in my schools i saw Music taught fairly seriously !! I mean i can't expect that it be imposed ...........but singing lessons and Instrument lessons were given by proper teachers !!There was a seperate teacher for Indian classical music and another one for Western music who taught Guitar and Piano  .Kids were even taught to read music,play music etc . I mean i am not sure what else did you mean !!??!! Bit confused !!Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 years ago
*dolly* thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Dolly like i said Music is already taught to all in Junior and Middle level in Schools , but you mentioned not seriously , which is right .But its fairly serious !!

But those kids that have interest towards Music usually take it up as an extra curricular and then as an extra curricular activity it is taught quite seriouly . I am sorry i just can't understand this topic too well as in my schools i saw Music taught fairly seriously !! I mean i can't expect that it be imposed ...........but singing lessons and Instrument lessons were given by proper teachers !!There was a seperate teacher for Indian classical music and another one for Western music who taught Guitar and Piano  .Kids were even taught to read music,play music etc . I mean i am not sure what else did you mean !!??!! Bit confused !!

Aparna,

I take it  you are talking about "A"school in delhi.There are only handful of schools who do some form of music education , these schools charge lots of money in donations!! and not just because they are providing music education but in general for everything. Which is something a common parent cannot afford.When I say about music I mean music from preschool level, not when they are in elementary and middle school level.Also by school I mean government schools, schools in smaller towns , villages.See this issue has deeper roots, music in general is considered waste of time. Also there is insufficient funding, unavailability of teachers and low pay for teachers.MUsic is not just to learn a instrument or sing but it can help so much with a childs development .I feel it needs to start at a early age, its true with any form of art or sport.

First 6-7 years of a child life are very crucial thats when the brain develops at a faster rate.So early the exposure better it is.Ofcourse Iam not saying every child will become lata ji and kishore da or will become rabindera nath tagore.But in my opinion music is not for just learning just music its more for a childs growth.

Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: dolly

Aparna,

I take it  you are talking about "A"school in delhi.There are only handful of schools who do some form of music education , these schools charge lots of money in donations!! and not just because they are providing music education but in general for everything. Which is something a common parent cannot afford.When I say about music I mean music from preschool level, not when they are in elementary and middle school level.Also by school I mean government schools, schools in smaller towns , villages.See this issue has deeper roots, music in general is considered waste of time. Also there is insufficient funding, unavailability of teachers and low pay for teachers.MUsic is not just to learn a instrument or sing but it can help so much with a childs development .I feel it needs to start at a early age, its true with any form of art or sport.

First 6-7 years of a child life are very crucial thats when the brain develops at a faster rate.So early the exposure better it is.Ofcourse Iam not saying every child will become lata ji and kishore da or will become rabindera nath tagore.But in my opinion music is not for just learning just music its more for a childs growth.

Yes i do mean the good schools of India . My education was in one of the best Schools and i also were a teacher in a good school .

I don't know as much about Goverment Schools and can't possibly give inputs too as how to improve them untill i see inside them !!
*dolly* thumbnail

Originally posted by: T.

Well, I've noticed in general that most Far-east Asians (Chinese, Filipino, Koreans, Vietnamese, etc) send their children for piano lessons from a very young age. I dont know why that is the reason, but I have seen it more with these parents than with South Asian parents. And the neighbourhood where I live is more of a Mini-South-Asia, so that is saying something!

Most Indian parents consider arts as a waste of time as very few people get jobs in those fields. If they are not interested in music, they do not encourage their children to pursue its education either.

So, if they are to be involved, they should be also educated on the benefits of musical education for their children. For Eg. a study conducted by a newspaper (dont remember which one it was) showed that children who study music are better at academics than others on average.

Also, shy children develop a confidence in facing other people during recitals.

But, a parent should not force the child to continue learning music if he/she does not enjoy it. Try it out initially and ask the teacher about his/her progress. If the teacher thinks he/she is good/promising OR if the child simply enjoys it, just continue with the education.

exactly!!!

There are no. of things that can be done

1. Every student in the school  should have access to music if he or she wants it. The school should adopt a written music curriculum the courses should be taught by qualified teachers and there should  be adequate facilities for the school  music program. 

2.As a parent, you should check to see whether this time is spent in active pursuits such as singing and playing instruments in addition to passive listening.

3.At home, set up a special place for your child to play, and establish a regular time for playing music. Be involved: ask your child to explain what he or she is earning, and offer plenty of praise.    

4.And never react negatively to your child's attempts to make music. 

5.If your child takes part in private lessons make sure the instructor makes you feel welcome to observe, and make sure the lessons take place at an appropriate place and time. Watch to see how comfortable your child is with the teacher. 

6.Some parents don't have a lot of musical knowledge themselves, but that's no reason to surrender such an important part of your child's upbringing to  "experts". In that respect, music is no different from math, English .

Edited by dolly - 18 years ago
*dolly* thumbnail

A Study of Evidence that Music Education is a Positive Factor in K-8 Student Academic Achievement    

1. Arts education leads to cognitive and basic skills development (Medeja 1978) (Milley 1984).
2. Arts education increases interest in academic learning (Kaufman 1976).
3. High school music students have been shown to hold higher grade point averages (GPA) than non-musicians in the same school (Horne 1983).
4. The study of music produces the development of academic achievement skills (State of California 1986).
5. Learning to play a musical instrument helps students to develop faster physically, mentally, emotionally and socially (Mueller 1984).
6. There is a high relationship between high self-perception, high cognitive competence scores, general self-esteem and interest in school music (Lillemyre 1983).
7. Music lessons can lead to interest in academics (Olanoff & Kirschner 1969).
8. Music education improves student listening skills (Kohanski 1970).
9. Kindergarten basic skills achievement increases when music and other arts are added to the curriculum (Minicucci 1981).
10. Music and arts enriched curriculum can be a factor in raising IQ scores for second graders (Mathison 1977).
11. In reading for meaning, music students can out-achieve non-music students (Friedman 1959). 12. Children who have received school keyboard music lessons score higher in mathematics and history than students not in the program, although their IQ scores are no higher than the other students' (ESEA 1969).
13. Receiving increased music instruction can lead to increased learning in mathematics (Malester 1986).
14. Brain research shows that music and arts activities develop the intellect (Sinatra 1986).
15. Research indicates that music instruction promotes academic achievement (Horne 1983).
16. There are many research studies that show a connection between music education and reinforcement for academic tasks (Madsen 1981).
17. Eye-hand coordination needed to learn to write can be developed by learning to play an instrument (Wishey 1980).
18. Disciplinary problems are reduced in school systems which have arts programs (Arts, Education and Americans 1980).
19. Personal expression is encouraged through performance in the arts (Oklahoma State Department of Education 1980).
20. Research indicates that reading music can improve reading language abilities in slow young learners (Tucker 1981).

*dolly* thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Yes i do mean the good schools of India . My education was in one of the best Schools and i also were a teacher in a good school .

I don't know as much about Goverment Schools and can't possibly give inputs too as how to improve them untill i see inside them !!

aparna,

my cousins , nieces an nephews are school aged and they donot know anything.

hippi2go thumbnail
See Dolly...I think music falls under a category as someones hobby...and totally and completely depends on how they feel about it. Some might adore music while others might just fall asleep thinking about it....because this is something that depends on someones personal opinion...I don't think music should be a compulsary subject in public school.

I personally love anything and everything about music...I like to listen to it but I don't think I would like to be forced to learn it in school. That would just kill the passion I share for music altogether (I don't know if this makes any sense😕)...But optional music lessions in school always makes great electives😃