Debate Mansion

Portrayal of Rape on Telly

Signora2 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

The high percentage of rapes that occur in our country would i thought inspire our Television soap makers to portray  it in a manner that not only conveys the horror of it all but is sympathetic to the girl,  forcing  the society to come up with remedial measures.

But as is the case, the addition of rape scenes, the frequency of which it is happening on Zee TV and Starplus leaves a lot to be desired. It is unecessay and at times jarring, it never lifts the story but leaves a bad taste. The portrayal requires deft handling, but our directors give it a miss. The sole purpose is to lift the TRPS and nothing else. Is there any need to show rape with such regularity? will not the audience get immune to it and even not respond when it occurs right in front of them. Your comments. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MOTI123 thumbnail
I feel rape is neither the result of TV serials nor the result of movies. I feel its a result of mental imbalance. Only if a person is mentally currupted he can rape a girl. otherwise he can go to a brothel to satisfy his physical need. This is a sort of sadism which will fullfil his mental desire as well as physical.. i am not sure whether it really fulfil his physical desire. Its nothing but sadism. Edited by ripvins - 18 years ago
Lost_Soul141 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i agree but only someone who has been raped can really describe what its like........
Morgoth thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Signora2

The high percentage of rapes that occur in our country would i thought inspire our Television soap makers to portray  it in a manner that not only conveys the horror of it all but is sympathetic to the girl,  forcing  the society to come up with remedial measures.

But as is the case, the addition of rape scenes, the frequency of which it is happening on Zee TV and Starplus leaves a lot to be desired. It is unecessay and at times jarring, it never lifts the story but leaves a bad taste. The portrayal requires deft handling, but our directors give it a miss. The sole purpose is to lift the TRPS and nothing else. Is there any need to show rape with such regularity? will not the audience get immune to it and even not respond when it occurs right in front of them. Your comments. 

I agree. It has become too common these days!

I remember once while we were discussing a serial, a teenager laughingly remarked about the female protagonist: "I hope she gets raped. Its about time."

I cannot describe how horrified I was to hear that statement. I just wanted to smack the brat. This kid was only 13 years old and thought rape was a joke!  

Its so pathetic that they are depicting sexual assault as a part of regular married life which must be accepted rather than a social evil, which must be fought against.

Aparna_BD thumbnail
I never thought about this !! You are right there is no senstivity in the way rape is described in serials !!!!

We don't understand the enormity of what rape can do to a victim ..........and these serials don't even capture the real effects of what rape does to a person !! 😕
Kay Kay thumbnail
Rape in any form is horrible. What to the perpetrator might be, a moment of domination, a means of power or a moment of satisfaction, is to the victim a torture of a lifetime.
hydrogurl001 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: T.

I agree. It has become too common these days!

I remember once while we were discussing a serial, a teenager laughingly remarked about the female protagonist: "I hope she gets raped. Its about time."

I cannot describe how horrified I was to hear that statement. I just wanted to smack the brat. This kid was only 13 years old and thought rape was a joke!  

Its so pathetic that they are depicting sexual assault as a part of regular married life which must be accepted rather than a social evil, which must be fought against.

yes it is EXTREMELY horrible. people dont understand things, they think this is a joke, but they cannot understand it from the victims point of view

MonicA#1Actress thumbnail

So true!🤢

I was shocked that in Sindoor, Antariksh didn't get punished for raping Niharika. He got off the hook, and it was so frustrating. Yes, it is only a serial, but in my opinion, since Antariksh wasn't punished, it is sending out the message that rape isn't so bad, which it really is. But these serials are so insensitive to this fact. I know a family member who was a victim of rape, who also occasionally watched this serial, was hurt because the rapist didn't get  his punishment.😡

Rape should always portrayed as an evil and despicable act, because it is one and always be one.