Debate Mansion

Can Man-Woman/Girl- Boy be Just friends?

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Do you think Man- Woman , Girl- Boy can have simply friendship between them without things ever turning into romance ???????

In Soaps and Movies also they show that Man- Woman who were good friends , one ends up falling for the other romantically !! Its good to have a friend as your partner BUT can't just two friends always stay JUST friends for life ?????? Also many Spouses end up viewing such friendships suspiciously !!!!! But why the heck ????

So tell me what do you think !! Also do friends of the Opposite sex make good friends ????

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cutiepie1 thumbnail
I do believe guys and girls can only be friends. The reasons spouses start looking at it suspiciously is because of a bit possesive nature and secondly, it is not a very accepted norm in our society, though it is changing slowly. Also, I have seen that in some cases some people tend to give more importance to their friends than their spouses, which can result in jealousy or suspicion in the spouse. Once, you know where to draw the line and have a trusting and understanding spouse, things should be fine. But the society still might have concerns about it.
pj04 thumbnail
can a man and woman be friends .....yes and no.two people can always be friends but there is a very thin line between friendship and love...not to mention frienship is a very good prelude to a sucessful loving marraige.the problem lies in the fact that people almost never realise when they cross that thin line and end up on the wrong side ie on the love side. apart from intimacy which grows from friendship , there is the societal norm (people questioning the frienship)and the gradual awareness of the other person being from opposite sex(which ends up as a bit of sexual tension in the relationship) that pushes two people across the line.
        frankly speaking ....do women view a girlfriend in a miniskirt or revealing top the same way as a man might view his tomboyish girl buddy in it.....
if your answer was no....you have answered your own question.        &nb sp;    
sweet freedom thumbnail
of course they can, well, i only have one boy who is my friend, but, im pretty sure we wont fall in love 😉
sowmyaa thumbnail
Aparna, this is just so hard to say in simple yes and no. I would agree with PJ for most of it. Usually, there is always attraction from either one side. I have seen in most cases either one fall for the other over the time and it's really thin line. Despite of their relashionship being termed as "friendship" there is some kind of attraction, infactuation or something more than plain friendship between two girls and two guys.

About spouses viewing friendship suspeciously I think its natural human possessiveness. Just like PJ said you never know when you cross the limit...it's that thin line. So opposite partner is always worried about that part deep inside and that is valid to me.

Opposite sex make good friend, I would say "yes" they do.Edited by sowmyaa - 18 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: sowmyaa

Despite of their relashionship being termed as "friendship" there is some kind of attraction, infactuation or something more than plain friendship between two girls and two guys.

I personally disagree with this statement . It is very possible to have male- female friendship with the sexual attraction !!
Secondly , even in those relationships when there is some physical attraction when close friends know the boundaries very well and never cross it .They can make excellent friends . Even in a gir- girl , boy - boy relationship there are boundaries - what is acceptable behaviour , and what is not ...........no relationship is "boundary free" !! So what that you need to draw a anti "physical attraction reaction "boundary line in such a friendship.Will that stop the 2 people from being very close friends ??? No it won't at all !!

Infact in my experience Guys make awesome friends !! 😊
sowmyaa thumbnail
I am not saying they don't make close friends. They can make very close friends, but during sometime of their relshion there have been some kind of attraction from either one side. And when it does not work out then also they can stay the bestest friend I think.

sowmyaa thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Aparna_BD

even in those relationships when there is some physical attraction when close friends know the boundaries very well and never cross it .They can make excellent friends .

Exactly my point aparna, they know the boundries and that's why despite of any kind of attraction they can always be friends. Knowing boundries cannot stop the attraction. Knowing boundry will stop them from taking any kind of stupid action but that does not stop them from their feeling for opposite.
pj04 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Aparna_BD

[
 So what that you need to draw a anti "physical attraction reaction "boundary line in such a friendship.Will that stop the 2 people from being very close friends ??? No it won't at all !!

Infact in my experience Guys make awesome friends !! 😊

i agree with you ...my experience too says that guys make great friends better than girls in most cases....however you just brought the problematic issue to forefront....how do you draw a boundaryline that negates the attraction and yet retains the intimacy of the relationship.  two people remain good friends until they are unaware of other possibilities in thier relationship...however if they become aware of each other as male/female ...they are in deep water. it brings multiple questions to mind like what level of intimacy is right, how much possesiveness is okay,if you yearn for each other's company ...is it friendship or can you call it love etc etc...

also marraige can be defined as good friendship with lots of intimacy , understanding, respect and attraction....as you can see this is also the defination of a good friendship with attraction ...this is what worries the spouses. also it is a conundrum but most people end up being more frank and close with thier friends than with spouses which kills the marraige real fast(the reason is that they are not required to justify themselves as ther are made to in early stages of marraige).

however my golden rule has always been that if i do not get offended(maybe am pleased to some extent) when someone mistakenly calls my male buddy my brother/my cousin...i am doing good. however if i get offended then i am crossing that boundary somewhere in my mind.after all same sex friends are brotherlike/sisterlike so why can't opposite sex friends attain the same status. 

Kay Kay thumbnail
A friendship is a matter of mutual trust and confidence in one another and a person's sex or sexuality should in no way be an impediment to this wonderful ship, of friendship.

One learns with years, the bridge to burn and the bridge to cross.

Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts, nor measure words.