Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
>>

Suddenly, old is gold on telly

• December 3, 2011 
  • By A. L. Chougule
Ram Kapoor and Sakshi Tanwar set the trend with Bade Acche Lagte Hai
Ram Kapoor and Sakshi Tanwar set the trend with Bade Acche Lagte Hai

Television continues to be dominated by young faces, newcomers in the 18 to 22 age group, most of them in lead roles.

But now, one can spot a growing number of actors in their 30s playing lead roles. They may look like an unusual sight in the sea of chic young faces, but these 30-plus actors are hogging as much of the limelight as their young counterparts.

Pushed to the back-burner because of the channels' preference for newcomers, till recently most of these seasoned actors were either out of action or forced to play cameos and host non-fiction shows. This change has come about largely due to the success of Bade Achhe Lagte Hain, which brought back Ram Kapoor and Sakshi Tanwar as a vintage pair who fall in love.

Now, the old familiar faces are back. Shweta Tiwari, who was doing stand-up comedy after winning the Bigg Boss 4 title, and the almost forgotten Rupali Ganguly, have returned to daily soaps in lead roles in Parvarish. Sameer Soni, who was Shweta's co-contestant in Bigg Boss but had stayed away from serials for over a decade, is playing the protagonist in Parichay.

Mohnish Behl, who has not been very active on television after his debut show Sanjeevani seven years ago, is making waves as Dr Ashutosh in Kuch To Log Kahenge. Narendra Jha and Shubhangi Atre, who enjoyed success earlier in Jai Hanuman and Kasturi respectively are the central characters in Havan.

Will the trend contnue? "It's difficult to say but good actors are always in demand," says Hiten Tejwani who recently replaced Sushant Singh as Manav in Pavitra Rishta. Incidentally, Hiten played cameos and character roles for two years and hosted Ratan Ka Rishta after enjoying mega success with Kutumb, Kyunki and Kasauti. He, however, adds that he had no issues playing cameos.

Staying away from serials was a conscious decision on Shweta's part. "I was offered a lot of roles but nothing was really worth taking a call on. But now things are changing as channels are experimenting with different subjects. I have no problem playing a mother as I have done it before with actors older than me," says Shweta.

Ronit Roy, the only actor who has survived the onslaught of newcomers by doing shows like Bandini and Adalat, is of the view that seasoned actors will never fade out.

"The advantage with experienced actors is that they bring maturity and a certain calibre which lends credibility to the show," he says.

Producer Rajan Shahi agrees, "The problem with newcomers is that they all look and act the same. As TV heads towards a new trend, the standard of acting improving with more older actors returning."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Rajan Sahi's comment was the BEST 🤣 All new-comers look and act same 🤪 Even then I find this Kritika Kamra and Ragini Khanna awesome amongst them !! 👍🏼

Anyways.. Seasoned actors are best ! Like RR said, they can put LIFE to the characters !! 😊
jakther7 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: prerna4rishav

Rajan Sahi's comment was the BEST 🤣 All new-comers look and act same 🤪 Even then I find this Kritika Kamra and Ragini Khanna awesome amongst them !! 👍🏼

Anyways.. Seasoned actors are best ! Like RR said, they can put LIFE to the characters !! 😊

100% right, Agree with u
OlicityFan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Rajan Sahi's comment was the BEST 🤣 All new-comers look and act same 🤪 

this applies to most of the newcomers...except a very few in my opinion!
pranita1202 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4

👍🏼 apt but i like to dristi dhami too
Faraan92 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thankzz alooot 4 sharing dis amazing article..🤗

Old is Gold..😛