\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ - Page 118

Posted: 10 years ago
Surya,

i have a question. Is Radha explicitly mentioned in the Devi Bhagavatam ? 
Originally posted by varaali

Surya,

i have a question. Is Radha explicitly mentioned in the Devi Bhagavatam ? 

Yes. In the Ninth Skandha, there is an entire chapter dedicated to her and her worship. And most stories in that Skandha are connected to Radha and Krishna.
For example, the story of Shankhachooda itself is a result of Radha's curse.
Radha is described as the HIghest Shakti of Krishna, the Supersoul of the Universe (I AM little biased here, so forgive me)
She is supposed to be the Greatest POwer of the Universe, and Lord Krishna's Kriya Shakti. Durga Devi is his Iccha Shakti and Maya Shakti. Sarasvati is his Gnana SHakti. Lakshmi is his... I don't know, maybe its BHoga and Yoga SHakti. Savitri also I'm not sure. Sorry abt that. You can check It on this link. http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/db/index.htm
Oh yeah, though i don't feel like saying this, Devi Bhagavati is the Mula Prakrti into which Lord Krsna is transformed at the end of each Kalpa.
My comments in Blue

Originally posted by Surya_krsnbhakt

Yes. In the Ninth Skandha, there is an entire chapter dedicated to her and her worship. And most stories in that Skandha are connected to Radha and Krishna.

I find this rather strange, because Vyasa has not mentioned her in the Srimad Bhagavatham (except once and that too rather obscurely in the word 'araadhite'). She is not mentioned in the Hari Vamsa too, by the same author. One of the explanations usually given to explain this obvious omission, is that it was by Radha Rani's grace that Vyasa was able to see the Rasa Leela in his mind and describe it so vividly. In effect, Radha Rani became his guru and hence Vyasa was very hesitant to mention her directly by name.

However, this begs another question. If Vyasa (i.e Krishna Dwaipayana) didn't have any compunctions describing Radha in Devi Bhagavatham, why did he not do so in Srimad Bhagatvatham? 

Which makes me wonder if both the Vyasas are the same. After all 'Vyasa' is an appellation which means 'compiler, editor'. Several people could have borne it- including Krishna Dwaipayana, who probably was the first.

For example, the story of Shankhachooda itself is a result of Radha's curse.
Radha is described as the HIghest Shakti of Krishna, the Supersoul of the Universe (I AM little biased here, so forgive me)
She is supposed to be the Greatest POwer of the Universe, and Lord Krishna's Kriya Shakti. Durga Devi is his Iccha Shakti and Maya Shakti. Sarasvati is his Gnana SHakti. Lakshmi is his... I don't know, maybe its BHoga and Yoga SHakti. Savitri also I'm not sure. Sorry abt that. You can check It on this link. http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/db/index.htm

Wouldn't Radha and Lakshmi be the same?

Oh yeah, though i don't feel like saying this, Devi Bhagavati is the Mula Prakrti into which Lord Krsna is transformed at the end of each Kalpa.

That's because  Devi Bhagavtham, is a Devi oriented text where She is venerated as the Supreme Power. In Vishnu texts, Vishnu would be described as the Supreme, each text gives importance to whichever deity it is based on.

Originally posted by varaali

My comments in Blue

Um... I am also confused. But whatever, its Vyasa Uvacha in Devi Bhagavatam and Sri Suka Uvacha in the other. Oh whatever. Vyasa is very bad. confusing ppl.
No Radha and Lakshmi are not the same. At least in this PUrana. AND, according to ISKCON. Lakshmi is but an expansion of Radha. Not that I am a follower of ISKCON. I am just interested in their subjects.
Actually Vishnu Purana does list than in each Dvapara Yuga a Vyasa incarnates, I think 26 Vyasas have come and gone.
I think to know the exact answers you have to ask Vyasa himself. "Hey Vyasa, why have you created so much confusion man? Just make one proper Purana no? Next Dwapara Yuga if you do something like this means I don't know what is gonna happen!" Something like that.

@ Varaali n Surya, y r u all confusing urself? i repeat tat the puranas...whatevr is known of tem 2day may not be the ones written by VYASA...in earlier times that same book of VYASA was edited n corrected by many unkown authors...so, plz...do not get confused if u find diff versions or similar stories...thr r chances that d same story with diff character names be written not by vyasa but sumone else who edited that same text book!!!
Shruti/Minakshi

Do you want to lock this thread and archive it?  You can kick off a new one if you wish, although I think that by now, people discuss the mythological aspects in the main forum itself, which is different from what it was when the show started, and most of the focus was on Sati & her romance.  So it's up to you whether this thread should have a successor thread of not.  But if it does, can you rename this thread to 

\|/  Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva: Part 1  \|/ 

Oh, and a special thank you to everyone for making this such a successful thread
Edited by .Vrish. - 10 years ago
Vrish,
we'll continue with the next one, as this thread containg good info. Other threads gets lost at times. Will check if we can continue in this one itself.
Thanks, Vrish, for having started this.

I hope there is a part II...
Minakshi

I've kicked off this thread:

Please go ahead and put it in announcements like this one was, and add its list in the Archive Mansion (no comments)

You can also freeze this thread, which I have renamed, which is why it's unglued from the Announcements section.  

Again, thanks everyone, for making this such a successful thread.  For further discussions, please continue in part 2 - link above
Edited by .Vrish. - 10 years ago