\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ - Page 2

Posted: 12 years ago
If one is going to copy things from Wiki or anywhere else, I think a link to those places should be provided, so that one knows where they are coming from.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me who Khyatti married?  Since all of Daksha's daughters were married to various devas.
please quote the source if someone is indeed posting something...
@sattvik-the chances of something  like that happening are less likely...to be honest its very filmy,but i guess they should get some creative liberty,so long as it doesn't damage the actual story line of the show...

Raja Daksh said in one of the episodes that Lord Shiva banned his father Lord Bramha from being worshiped
can anyone tell me why did Lord Shiva do such a thing?
Originally posted by .Vrish.

If one is going to copy things from Wiki or anywhere else, I think a link to those places should be provided, so that one knows where they are coming from.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me who Khyatti married?  Since all of Daksha's daughters were married to various devas.
It may be Diti. M. Kashyap mariied Adit & Diti along with other daughters of Daksh except Swaha, who married Agni.
Aditi's children were devas ( Indra etc.), Diti's children were daityas.
Originally posted by shruti.nil

Raja Daksh said in one of the episodes that Lord Shiva banned his father Lord Bramha from being worshiped
can anyone tell me why did Lord Shiva do such a thing?

In the ACK (Amar Chitra Katha) Elephanta, I read about this.  The story is that Brahma & Vishnu were debating on who is superior, and so, suddenly, a huge tower of light appeared that seemed to have no beginning nor end.  They decided to settle this by finding out the starting points of this tower.  Vishnu took the same form as he did as Varaha, and started digging the earth, hoping to find its root, while Brahma took the form of a kraucha (heron) and decided to fly up and find the apex.

Neither succeeded, but when they returned, Vishnu conceded, while Brahma falsely claimed that he did indeed find the apex.  At this, Mahadev suddenly appeared and cursed Brahma that due to his lie, and that too for purely egotistical purposes, nobody would worship him.  Whereas, Vishnu, for being truthful, would be worshipped along w/ Shiva.  The tower that was there  came to be representative of Mahadev, which is why a lingam is always used.

I have no idea about what the ACK uses for its sourcing, but this partly seems to explain why there are no temples of Brahma, except for the one in Pushkar, in Rajasthan.  I've also read that somewhere in Bangkok too, there is a temple dedicated to Brahma.

One thing that struck me about the episodes in DkDM is the insistence that a lingam be available to enable the worship of Lord Narayan.  I've never seen this in any puja where Narayan is invoked.
@Vrish thanks for the explanation...
in our house we do install a small lingam for every pooja,even a satyanarayan katha,,but we are basically Shaivaites(worshipers of Shiva)-so i guess that is why we do it that way...
Originally posted by shruti.nil

@Vrish thanks for the explanation...
in our house we do install a small lingam for every pooja,even a satyanarayan katha,,but we are basically Shaivaites(worshipers of Shiva)-so i guess that is why we do it that way...
http://www.urday.in/vidya.htm
Read from greatness of Shivalingam onwards
Hi guys,

Vrish, Parina, mnx12, its me Vinu. Lot of information for me to read over here.

I changed my user name as some one mis used my account.

This is the first time I am coming across a serial based on Shiva. Otherwise its usually Rama and Krishna mostly.

I hope this sustains my interest unlike Dwarkadish.

Catch up with all of you soon

Originally posted by .Vrish.

In the ACK (Amar Chitra Katha) Elephanta, I read about this.  The story is that Brahma & Vishnu were debating on who is superior, and so, suddenly, a huge tower of light appeared that seemed to have no beginning nor end.  They decided to settle this by finding out the starting points of this tower.  Vishnu took the same form as he did as Varaha, and started digging the earth, hoping to find its root, while Brahma took the form of a kraucha (heron) and decided to fly up and find the apex.

Neither succeeded, but when they returned, Vishnu conceded, while Brahma falsely claimed that he did indeed find the apex.  At this, Mahadev suddenly appeared and cursed Brahma that due to his lie, and that too for purely egotistical purposes, nobody would worship him.  Whereas, Vishnu, for being truthful, would be worshipped along w/ Shiva.  The tower that was there  came to be representative of Mahadev, which is why a lingam is always used.

I have no idea about what the ACK uses for its sourcing, but this partly seems to explain why there are no temples of Brahma, except for the one in Pushkar, in Rajasthan.  I've also read that somewhere in Bangkok too, there is a temple dedicated to Brahma.

One thing that struck me about the episodes in DkDM is the insistence that a lingam be available to enable the worship of Lord Narayan.  I've never seen this in any puja where Narayan is invoked.

Vrish,

The ACK that you are quoting from is quite authentic for this particular story. 

This story is the sthala purana for the temple at Tiruvannamalai.  Shiva, here,  is worshipped as a manisfestation of light / agni  (one of the five elements). Similarly there are other temples where Shiva is said to be the personification of other four elements 

The insistence that a lingam be present for a Vishnu puja is absurd. Staunch  Vishnavites do no such thing. Vishnu is represented by the Saligram stone (A kind of black coloured stone) 

Varaali

Thanks for explaining.  This also was described in the ACK as the story behind the Shiva lingam @ Elephanta.  

On the Shiva lingam, every serial usually has it right - they show lingams wrt the worship of Mahadev, but never wrt the worship of anyone else - not even Durga, Kali, Kartik or Ganesh.  Vishnu seems even more far fetched.

Roark/Vinu

Glad to see you back again 😊
Vrish,

Elephanta as in Elephanta Caves? ( the ones near Mumbai)? 

The story that I am alluding to appears in the Arunachala Khanda of Skanda Purana.

That Daksha had problems with Shiva is well known. But where is it mentioned that he was such a staunch Vishnu follower ?
Edited by varaali - 12 years ago