Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ - Page 4

cooldudette thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: .Vrish.

In the ACK (Amar Chitra Katha) Elephanta, I read about this.  The story is that Brahma & Vishnu were debating on who is superior, and so, suddenly, a huge tower of light appeared that seemed to have no beginning nor end.  They decided to settle this by finding out the starting points of this tower.  Vishnu took the same form as he did as Varaha, and started digging the earth, hoping to find its root, while Brahma took the form of a kraucha (heron) and decided to fly up and find the apex.

Neither succeeded, but when they returned, Vishnu conceded, while Brahma falsely claimed that he did indeed find the apex.  At this, Mahadev suddenly appeared and cursed Brahma that due to his lie, and that too for purely egotistical purposes, nobody would worship him.  Whereas, Vishnu, for being truthful, would be worshipped along w/ Shiva.  The tower that was there  came to be representative of Mahadev, which is why a lingam is always used.

I have no idea about what the ACK uses for its sourcing, but this partly seems to explain why there are no temples of Brahma, except for the one in Pushkar, in Rajasthan.  I've also read that somewhere in Bangkok too, there is a temple dedicated to Brahma.

One thing that struck me about the episodes in DkDM is the insistence that a lingam be available to enable the worship of Lord Narayan.  I've never seen this in any puja where Narayan is invoked.

Usually ACK stories are reproduced from the Puranas

As for that Shiva ling next to the Lord Narayan in shayana pose, it usually comes with that pose. There are temples for this lord (called Ananth Padmanabaswamy) in South india (including the famous one at Tiruvananthapuram) where Lord Vishnu in this pose, Bramha is sitting on the lotus that comes from the Lord Narayan's naval and a shiva ling by the right hand of Lord Narayan. Refer this picture - http://img.allvoices.com/thumbs/event/609/480/83388333-sri-anantha.jpg
So the trimurtis are all together in this..though this idol is primarily to worship Lord Vishnu

Saivaites believe that Lord Vishnu is worshipping Lord Shiva in this pose and Vaishnavites believe that Lord Vishnu is blessing Lord Shiva here.

Coming to this serial, I am not sure if this part is actually true because even I haven't read about this sculpture being made by Daksha or even Daksha being a Vishnu-bhakth
I have only read that Daksha expected Lord Shiva to bow to him after Sati's marriage as he was his son in law but Lord Shiva being superior didn't want to do it because that is not correct and hence Daksha started hating him

But what they are trying to show here is that this sculpture is supposed to have the trimurtis but Daksha deliberately excluded the Shiva ling and hence that made it incomplete

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
 cooldudette,

It is only in Tiruvananthapuram, is the shivling placed next to the reclining Vishnu. 

It is not there in the temple at Srirangam, where Ranganathaswamy is also in the shayana pose.

Coming back to Ananta Padmanabha Swamy, as the name suggests, Vishnu is reclining on his serpant (Ananta) with a Padma (lotus) emerging out of his navel (nabha) . Obviously, reason for the lotus sprouting is the emergence of Brahma, hence Brahma is also carved into the lotus. This is the basic iconography. The shiva linga near the Lord's drooping right hand is only accidental.

This serial is trying to show that there should be a shivling with every Shayana Vishnu -which is not the case. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that each (Shiva and Vishnu) cannot be offered worship independently - though there may be cases where one is invoked during the worship of the other, depending on regional / sectorial beliefs 

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: sattvik

Ansuya - Atri

Wasn't Anasuya  the daughter of SAge KArdama and Devahuti?

Daksh had loads and loads of children!!

That's why he is called Prajapati

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Sattvik

Thanks for this whole list, as well as your response.

Isn't Dharma the same as Yamaraj - I thought they were/are.  Only one thing below - Kadru was the mother of the dog species, not the Nagas, afaik.  Also, in your list below, you left out Vinati, who was married to Kashyap & mother of Garuda, and Rati, who was married to Kama (although one book about Godesses - albeit a Western book that dealt w/ Greek, Norse, Hindu, Roman and other mythology - described Rati as the daughter of Vishnu/Lakshmi)

This is what I remember for now.

This content was originally posted by: sattvik

@Vrish - I have always thought Varun Dev's wife is/was Maa Varuni

Daughter - Married to
---------------------
Swadha - Angiras
Smriti - Angiras
Siddhi - Dharma
Buddhi - Dharma (Mother of Bodha)
Pushti - Dharma
Kakud - Dharma
Kriya -
Dharma
Lamba - Dharma
Maitri - Dharma
Sadhya - Dharma
Kirti - Dharma
Lajja
- Dharma (Mother of Vinaya)
Shraddha
- Dharma
Dhriti
- Dharma
Ansuya - Atri
Urjja - Vashisht
Diti - Kashyap (Mother of Daityas)
Aditi - Kashyap
(Mother of Adityas/Devta)
Khasa - Kashyap (Mother of Yaksha)
Kalaka - Kashyap
Tamra - Kashyap
Ida- Kashyap
Khyati - Bhrigu
Kshama - Pulaka
Prava - Kashyap
Sambhuti - Marichi
Rohini - Chandra Dev
Kashtha - Kashyap (
Mother of beasts with un-cloven hoofs)

Kadru (Mother of the Nagas)
Danu (Mother of Danavs)

Also says Bahuputra marries two daughters of Daksh Prajapati... Arishtanemi (another name for Kashyap) marries four daughters... :s

My source is the link above that I posted...

Plus you have the Nakshatras that married Chandra Dev...

Daksh had loads and loads of children!!

...PARiNA... thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: .Vrish.

In the ACK (Amar Chitra Katha) Elephanta, I read about this.  The story is that Brahma & Vishnu were debating on who is superior, and so, suddenly, a huge tower of light appeared that seemed to have no beginning nor end.  They decided to settle this by finding out the starting points of this tower.  Vishnu took the same form as he did as Varaha, and started digging the earth, hoping to find its root, while Brahma took the form of a kraucha (heron) and decided to fly up and find the apex.

Neither succeeded, but when they returned, Vishnu conceded, while Brahma falsely claimed that he did indeed find the apex.  At this, Mahadev suddenly appeared and cursed Brahma that due to his lie, and that too for purely egotistical purposes, nobody would worship him.  Whereas, Vishnu, for being truthful, would be worshipped along w/ Shiva.  The tower that was there  came to be representative of Mahadev, which is why a lingam is always used.

I have no idea about what the ACK uses for its sourcing, but this partly seems to explain why there are no temples of Brahma, except for the one in Pushkar, in Rajasthan.  I've also read that somewhere in Bangkok too, there is a temple dedicated to Brahma.

One thing that struck me about the episodes in DkDM is the insistence that a lingam be available to enable the worship of Lord Narayan.  I've never seen this in any puja where Narayan is invoked.

1) Lord Brahma created lord Kaamdev and blessed him that he can cupid any person with his power and can wake up a will in him for Kaam. Now lord Kaamdev thought to test that power blessed by Lord Brahma. He shot his arrow on Lord Brahma to test his blessing. So as the blessing of Lord Brahma was true, he got attracted for a lady, who was in relation to his daughter.

Everyone got worried and atlast Lord Shiv came in between both them,regenerated and brought back Lord Bramha's conscience and cursed Lord Bramha and announced that no one in this world will be allowed have physical relations with females who are like their daughter,sister,mother or a higher social relation,any one till the end of this world,committing such crime will be punished who ever it might be,So Lord Bramha,I curse you that you will not be worshiped due to the crime which you were going to do with a lady who is like your daughter.

So this is one of the reason that why there is no temple of Lord Brahma and why he is not prayed by human beings.

2) According to a story in the Shiva Purana (dedicated to Lord Shiva), at the beginning of time in Cosmos, Vishnu and Brahma approached a huge Shiva linga and set out to find its beginning and end. Vishnu was appointed to seek the end and Brahma the beginning. Taking the form of a boar, Vishnu began digging downwards into the earth, while Brahma took the form of a swan and began flying upwards. However, neither could find His appointed destination. Vishnu, satisfied, came up to Shiva and bowed down to him as a swarupa of Brahman. Brahma did not give up so easily. As He was going up, he saw a ketaki flower, dear to Shiva. His ego forced him to ask the flower to bear false witness about Brahma's discovery of Shiva's beginning. When Brahma told his tale, Shiva, the all-knowing, was angered by the former's ego. Shiva thus cursed him that no being in the three worlds will worship him.
akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Khyati married sage Bhrigu.

cooldudette thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: varaali

cooldudette,

It is only in Tiruvananthapuram, is the shivling placed next to the reclining Vishnu. 

It is not there in the temple at Srirangam, where Ranganathaswamy is also in the shayana pose.

Coming back to Ananta Padmanabha Swamy, as the name suggests, Vishnu is reclining on his serpant (Ananta) with a Padma (lotus) emerging out of his navel (nabha) . Obviously, reason for the lotus sprouting is the emergence of Brahma, hence Brahma is also carved into the lotus. This is the basic iconography. The shiva linga near the Lord's drooping right hand is only accidental.

This serial is trying to show that there should be a shivling with every Shayana Vishnu -which is not the case. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that each (Shiva and Vishnu) cannot be offered worship independently - though there may be cases where one is invoked during the worship of the other, depending on regional / sectorial beliefs 

varaali - I was only referring to the pose of Lord AnanthaPadmanabhaswamy...did not mean to generalize the lord in the shayana pose
There are many other temples for lord Ananthapadmanabhaswamy around South India which are not as famous as the one in Tiruvananthapuram which have this pose

Lord Ranganathaswamy is in a different pose - his right hand beneath his head and there is no lotus from his navel, no brahma or shiv ling

For Lord Ananthapadmanabhaswamy, the shiva ling is usually there - it is not accidental
But the main deity of worship is still Lord Vishnu even though there may be a shiva ling near the right hand

What the serial is showing does not seem to be quoted in any puranas or past stories...it seems to be some new angle
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

'The Hermitage' ' a note on saptarishis
Atri

Maharishi Atri is one of the ten mind born sons of the creator, Brahma. The 5th book of Rig Veda is His contribution to the scriptural tradition. As we know, the Veda is revealed to the Seers in deep meditative state and is not a human composition.

Atri and his wife Anusuya are the parents of the great mystic Dattatreya. Anusuya is considered as an embodiment of chastity. The descendents of Atri form the Atreya Gotra.

Atri's ashrama is known by the name Sati Anusuya ashrama and even today it exists in Chitrakuta, located near the river Mandakini set amidst thick forests that reverberate with the melody of varieties birds all day. While Rama and Lakshmana were spending time with Sage Atri, Sita had sessions with Anusuya on the role of wife and womanhood in general. Ayodhya kanda of Valmiki Ramayana mentions that Atri introduced Rama to the Dandakaranya forest during His 14 years Vanavasa along with Sita and Lakshmana.
Bhrigu

Maharishi Bhrigu is one of the ten mind born sons of the creator, Brahma. He is married to Khyati, the daughter of Daksha Prajapati. Two of His sons are well known, Shukra, the teacher of the asuras and sage Chyavana, a genius in Ayurveda, who is said to have formulated chyavanaprash. Sri Lakshmi Narayana Hridayam, the traditional hymn that is said to bestow prosperity is composed by Bhrigu who is also identified as the father of Shri, the consort of Narayana.

The Lord in the Bhagavad Gita declares, "of the Maharishi's, I am Bhrigu!" He is the author of Bhrigu Samhita, the classical astrological treatise. Maharishi Parashara and Varahamihira were well versed in this treatise and the gifted poet Kalidasa refers to this treatise in his work uttarakalamrita.

The descendants of the Bhrigu clan identify themselves with the Bhargava gotra. This clan has more sages as well as warriors and have been the seers to various mantras in the Atharvana Veda.
Kutsa

Maharishi Kutsa is credited with discovery of the fourth vyahrithi, 'suvah' in the prokshana mantra familiar to the daily meditators of the Gayatri Mantra. Such is the love and Grace of His Guru that He gets mentioned before His Guru in the order of saptarishis for this manvantra.

Out of the 82 suktams in the Rig Veda, 65 are attributed to Kutsa. He is seen as a close friend (as well as a look alike) of the Indra, the lord of the celestials. Kalidasa invokes Sage Kutsa in one of the chapters in Raghuvamsa. Tradition says that it was due to the blessings of Kutsa, the Raghu clan ' the dynasty of which the crown jewel Rama belongs.
Vasishta

Apart from a being a saptarishi, Maharishi Vasishta was the Kula Guru of the Ikshwaku dynasty better known as the Suryavamsha or Solar Dynasty. He was a Brahmarishi (the one who has realize the supreme Brahman) and had at His disposal Kamadhenu (a wish fulfilling cow) and her daughter Nandini. He is the seer of the 7th book of Rig Veda. He has credit of being one of the two mortals besides Bhavayavya, to have a Rig Vedic hymn dedicated to him. He is the author of Vasishta Samhita - a book on determining Muhurtha, and Yoga Vasishta, a treatise on spiritual Self-discovery as a dialogue between Him and Prince Rama.

Vishwamitra's duel with Vasishta are legendry and educates any spiritual seeker of the pitfalls one may face in the journey towards Self-discovery as well as enables common man to understand the futility of material possessions. The former was anointed as a Rajarishi by the latter. Both were integral characters in the unfolding of Rama's personality during His Gurukul days. Equally illustrious is His spouse Arundati and till date during Hindu marriage rituals the bride is shown the star Alcor (Mizar of the Ursa Major constellation is designated as Vasishta and the one besides mizar, Alcor is taken to be Arundati).
Goutama

Along with Maharishi Bharadvaja, Goutama is identified as descendents of the saptarishi, Angirasa. The Vedic hymns of His clan are found in Rig Veda as well as Sama Veda.

In Shanti Parva of Mahabharata, Maharishi Goutama is mentioned for doing a 60 year long Tapas. He was one of the Maharishis to whose ashram Lord Rama visited during the Vanavasa which in turn enabled the redemption of Goutama's wife Ahalya from being cursed to a stone. 'Goutama sutras' is the oldest known Dharma sutras and the other one being Apastamba sutra. This contains sections on duties as well as rituals during various stages of life, role of women, punishments / atonements of various sins etc., rules of inheritance of property etc.,
Kashyapa

Maharishi Kashyapa is married to the daughters of Daksha Prajapati. Lord Vishnu's fifth avatar as Vamana, is the His son of Aditi. Maharishi Kashyapa is referred extensively in Mahabharata. He is credited with the authorship of Kashyapa Samhita, a classical reference book in the fields of Ayurvedic Paediatrics, Gynaecology and Obstetrics.

Being the grandson of Brahma, the creator, He is seen as Prajapati, the progenitor himself. His lineage continued as Ikshvakus that included Lord Rama. Some of the species that he fathered are Devas, Asuras, Nagas etc., and the celestial in-charges such as Mitra, Pusan, Varuna, Garuda, Agni, the 12 Adityas, Daityas. Most of all He is the father of humanity. Maharishi Shandilya is a descendent of Kashyapa. The beautiful valley of Kashmir owes its existence to Maharishi Kashyapa.
Angirasa

Maharishi Angiras along with Maharishi Atharvana is credited with most of the verses in Atharvana Veda. Surupa and Swadha are mentioned as His wives. He is a seer of verses in the other 3 Vedas too. He wrote on law as well as astronomy.

Mundaka Upanishad captures the dialogue between Angirasa and the house holder Saunaka that reveals the depth of (Self) knowledge! He elaborates on para Vidya (knowledge of the transcendent) and apara Vidya (knowledge of the mundane world).
Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
-still in awe of the huge sets-

I know this may not be true... but whilst reading the Shiv Sahasranaam, Dhruvaya came up. So I was just thinking, since Mahadev was Shri Vishnu's biggest bhakt and vice versa... what if Bhakt Dhruv and all other Vishnu-priya Bhakts were a sort of secret avtar of Shiv Shambhu?

Also, not sure if its right to show any of the Saptarishis not agreeing with each other... 😕
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I have a new question.  A lot of people may be familiar w/ the story of Bhrigu's wife sheltering some asuras, in response to which Vishnu beheaded her b4 killing the asuras.  Some accounts have it that she was restored to life.  This story was there in the Ramayan which Sumantra describes to Lakshman after Sita's exile.  IIRC, the name of Bhrigu's wife is not mentioned there.

Question is - was Khyatti the wife that Vishnu killed i.e. did he kill his own MIL?  Or did Rishi Bhrigu have other wives, and one of them happened to be killed by Vishnu?