Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: bharat9

Lord Vishnu's abode is Ksherrsagar. Does this mean Ksherrsagar is a different 'personality' than Sagar? Ksherrsagar is in Vaikuntha & Sagar on earth. God is everywhere and nowhere but would it be right to think that the ocean on this earth is also Lord Vishnu's abode?.
'Sagar' as a personality has been mentioned but is there a 'Ksherrsagar personality' too? like Sheeshnaag's?

Lord Vishnu simultaneously is present in different forms. One of them is in Kshirsagar. It is an ocean a form of Lord Vishnu resides inside this ocean. It is this ocean which was chrurned during sagar manthan.

There is also a king named Sagar but one difference in pronunciation. The word "Sagar" as in Sagar manthan has first 'a' as long i.e. it is pronounced Saagar. But king "Sagar" has both a's as short. Bhagirathi, who brought Ganga to Earth, was a descendant of king Sagar.

bharat9 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
@ Vrish:

Do you remember during Ramayan days we once (or on many occasions) discussed about Sati/Parvati coming to meet Lord Ram during the Vanvas to test Him? Do you remember if we discussed that under the D&D thread? I just want to refresh my mind on this topic as it has just come bk again. As I was just thinking, Lord Ram was present on this earth during TretaYug & if it was Sati then does it mean that Daksh was still ruling (He was the King of which land?) and that the Yagna He performed where Sati immolated herself wasnt performed until the end of TretaYug or so? Also I think in NDTV Ramayan when Sitaji prays to Ma Gauri she mentions 'Gauri,  Ganesh, Parvati' in that song...i think we have discussed on this topic already...what conclusion did we get to then? I'll also try to find the topic where we discussed it.

bharat9 thumbnail
Originally posted by: akhl

Lord Vishnu simultaneously is present in different forms. One of them is in Kshirsagar. It is an ocean a form of Lord Vishnu resides inside this ocean. It is this ocean which was chrurned during sagar manthan.

There is also a king named Sagar but one difference in pronunciation. The word "Sagar" as in Sagar manthan has first 'a' as long i.e. it is pronounced Saagar. But king "Sagar" has both a's as short. Bhagirathi, who brought Ganga to Earth, was a descendant of king Sagar.

So Kshirsagar and Sagar both equals one? So it was Kshirsagar that was churned. Thank you.
akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: bharat9

So Kshirsagar and Sagar both equals one? So it was Kshirsagar that was churned. Thank you.

Yes, Kshirsagar was churned. Kshirsagar and Sagar as in Sagar manthan mean the same. But Kshirsagar and Sagar as in King Sagar are different. 
Edited by akhl - 12 years ago
sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Notice how Shiv spelt backwards is Vish(nu) and Vish(nu) spelt backwards is Shiv... as in if you take the Hindi spelling... as "Sh" is one akshar/letter.
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Quite a few things here, so let me address it all in 1 post.  Akhl, hope you get your response on the conflict management advice.

Rimi

From what I understand, Sagar is the ocean that the Ganga empties into.  As Akhl mentioned, after Bhagiratha got Ganga down to earth and she washed away the remains of Sagar's 60k sons, she ultimately washed it all into the ocean, which from that day onwards, came to be known as Sagar.

The samudra manthan that Vishnu was involved in organizing was more likely or not in the heavens, rather than on Bhulok.  Ksheersagar is the ocean in Vaikuntha where Sesha rests, and on him, Vishnu & Lakshmi.  The very locations of these are different.

I'm not convinced that Sati was still around during the Treta Yuga.  I think the Samudra manthan did occur during the Satya Yuga, and I doubt that it happened during the reign of Bali.  Samudra manthan coincides w/ Kurma avatar, which was followed later by Varaha, Narasimha & Vamana avatars.  IIRC, Hiranyakashipu's death was when the Satya Yuga ended and the Treta Yuga began.  But I'm not aware of what was going on in Kailash @ the time.

As for Rama's yagnas, they were done in Naimisharanya, which is in Sitapur district in UP.  Sati's death happened in Daksha's abode which was not on Bhulok, even if Mahadev himself was on Kailash.  One tradition has it that Sati's remains fell in different locations in India, and are pilgrim sites for some of the followers - don't remember the exact details.
bharat9 thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Samudra manthan coincides w/ Kurma avatar, which was followed later by Varaha, Narasimha & Vamana avatars.  IIRC, Hiranyakashipu's death was when the Satya Yuga ended and the Treta Yuga began.  But I'm not aware of what was going on in Kailash @ the time.

The above as you mentioned does make sense! Never thought in that way! Thanks

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Sati's death happened in Daksha's abode which was not on Bhulok, even if Mahadev himself was on Kailash.  One tradition has it that Sati's remains fell in different locations in India, and are pilgrim sites for some of the followers - don't remember the exact details.

The pilgrim sites where various parts of Sati's body fell are known as Shakti Peethas, 52 in total or so.
Edited by bharat9 - 12 years ago
bharat9 thumbnail
shakti peeths

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakti_Peethas
Edited by bharat9 - 12 years ago
sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Some say there is 108 Shakti Peeths...

Sati's story happened way near the beginning of creation time, not like Shri Ram's time! Most of all the stories happened before Shri Ram's time!

This Ksheersagar and Sagar thing is confusing. Sagar means ocean doesn't it?
bharat9 thumbnail
Some say that  when Parvati or Sati came to test Shri Ram disguised as Sita ji  since then Lord Shiva could never fully accept Her as His wife, hence one of the reason for Sati/Parvati to incarnate. Is this right?