Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Got a few points.

1. I thought Veerbhadra was created from Shivji's Jata - hair...
2. How is it possible after Sati's death, to finish the Yagya... in the same place she died, moments later, isn't that a little inconsiderate
3. If Sati jumped into the Yagya-kund, it wouldn't be possible to finish the Yagya anyway.
4. If she jumped into the Yagya-kund, wouldn't her body been burned to ashes... so then how can Shivji take her body and how could Shri Vishnu cut it up with his Sudarshan Chakra... if it was ashes... unless her body wasn't fully burned...

I know in one show they showed Sati immolating herself near the Yagya kund but not in it... can't remember it now...
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

^^^ This is given in Devipuran, in Mythology, there are many things, which can not be explained or understood today logically, but all these are important representatives of our faith. From DBSK, I've learned one thing, if the story is not original then, don't bother making any sense out of it but when original storyline is shown then just enjoy it because it strengthns my faith. 

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: sattvik

Got a few points.

1. I thought Veerbhadra was created from Shivji's Jata - hair...  Correct
2. How is it possible after Sati's death, to finish the Yagya... in the same place she died, moments later, isn't that a little inconsiderate  I doubt it was moments later, but rather days, if not months later.  After all, it would take the Ganas time to get back to Shiva, then more time for Virbhadra to invade Daksha, some more time for Daksha's hordes to be defeated, then after he's killed, some interval b4 Vishnu & Brahma approach Shiva to have him forgive Daksha, some days or months b4 they find the first animal, then attach that head, and then Daksha apologizing and requesting to perform the yagna
3. If Sati jumped into the Yagya-kund, it wouldn't be possible to finish the Yagya anyway.  
4. If she jumped into the Yagya-kund, wouldn't her body been burned to ashes... so then how can Shivji take her body and how could Shri Vishnu cut it up with his Sudarshan Chakra... if it was ashes... unless her body wasn't fully burned...

I agree on #3 & 4 - I think Varaali's explanation below makes most sense, which is why I asked.  I now know that she didn't jump into the agni kund, or it would have been unusable for the yagna.

I know in one show they showed Sati immolating herself near the Yagya kund but not in it... can't remember it now...  I recall them showing that in AS Ramayana, as well as in a past serial on YT.

Originally posted by: varaali

Serials have their own way of dramatizing events and eclipsing the spirituality inherent in them. Sati did give up her body, but neither did she immolate herself (in the sacificial altar) not did she burn herself into ashes. 

Sitting in a corner, she went deep into yogic meditation, closing the nine openings of the body, withdrawing the fives senses, and directing all awareness into the pranamaya kosha, she guided the five vital airs (prana, vyana, udana, samana and apana) to leave the body through the crown (sahasrakara) chakra. What was left behind was just the shell, the body.

This practice involves invoking, what is mistakenly called the yogic fire / agni, hence the serial directors have had a field day showing Sati's body reducing to ashes or Sati jumping into the fire altar itself. 

Yes Shiva did roam about carrying Sati's body and according to some accounts performed theUrdhva Tandava  during which different parts of Sati's body fell in different places which came to be established as Shakti Peeths . By other accounts, Vishnu's Sudarshana Chakra cut Sati's body into pieces which then fell on earth.

bharat9 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: varaali

Yeah, this is the version given by Tulsidas, in his Ram Charit Manas. 

Just came across this bhajan of Lord Shiva. From 2:50-3.25 the singer mentions that its Parvati who came to test Lord Rama.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux_kvgL570A[/YOUTUBE]
bharat9 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: mnx12

^^^ This is given in Devipuran, in Mythology, there are many things, which can not be explained or understood today logically, but all these are important representatives of our faith. From DBSK, I've learned one thing, if the story is not original then, don't bother making any sense out of it but when original storyline is shown then just enjoy it because it strengthns my faith. 

@ green:  agree.

@ red: DBSK?

Edited by bharat9 - 12 years ago
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Originally posted by: bharat9

@ green:  agree.

@ red: DBSK?

Dwarkadheesh Bhagwan Shree Krishna 😊 Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
Frosty_Moon thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
if brahma ji planned to tie shivji in a relation and for all this mata durga take birth as sati in daksh home then why did daksh hate or disrespect lord shiva and against their marriage?
myedward12 thumbnail
hi guys, I was wondering when shivji is in samadhi, who he prays to? some one asked me this question but i had no idea! plz help me with this!
Sia889 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: myedward12

hi guys, I was wondering when shivji is in samadhi, who he prays to? some one asked me this question but i had no idea! plz help me with this!

He doesn't pray anybody,he just meditates and he dances when he is in Trance (in my knowledge)
Edited by Killer_Shark - 12 years ago
Sia889 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail

Story of Shiva's kindness on Chandra

Twenty-seven of Daksha's daughters were married to the moon-god Chandra. One of these wives was named Rohini and Chandra loved Rohini more than he loved the other wives. The other wives felt neglected and they complained to their father. Daksha repeatedly warned his son-in-law to devote himself equally to all twenty-seven wives. But Chandra was in no mood to listen.

Daksha thereupon cursed Chandra that he would gradually fade away. Chandra didn't know what to do. He went and sought advice from Brahma and Brahma told him that the only rescourse was to pray to Shiva. Chandra went to Prabhasa tirtha and made a linga on the banks of the river Sarasvati. He prayed to Shiva for six months.

At the end of the tapasya Shiva appeared before Chandra and offered to grant him a boon. Chandra explained what the problem was.

Well, said Shiva, Daksha's curse cannot be entirely ignored. Let us have a compromise. During krishnapaksha you will wane. And during shuklapaksha (the bright part of the lunar fortnight) you will wax. That should satisfy everybody.

Chandra was delighted. The linga to which Chandra prayed is Somantha, the first of the jyotirlingas. Shiva is always present at that tirtha.