Sushmita Sen’s Fan Club!! - Page 4

Posted: 17 years ago
name added coolsonu :) thnx for joining!!
filmography

(In Production) (2000s) (1990s)
  1. Gulel (2006) (in production)
    ... aka Slingshot (India: English title)
  2. Karma, Confessions and Holi (2006) (post-production) .... Meera

3. Chingaari (2006) .... Basanti/Titli
  4. Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya? (2005) .... Naina
  5. Main Aisa Hi Hoon (2005) .... Advocate Niti Sinha
  6. Bewafaa (2005) .... Aarti Sahai
  7. Kisna: The Warrior Poet (2005) .... Naima Begum (Special appearance)
  8. It Was Raining That Night (2005)
  9. Vaastu Shastra (2004) .... Jhilmil Rao
  10. Main Hoon Na (2004) .... Chandni Chopra
  11. Paisa Vasool (2004) .... Baby
  12. Samay: When Time Strikes (2003) .... ACP Malvika Chauhan
  13. Pran Jaaye Par Shaan Na Jaaye (2003) .... Sushmita (Narrator) (Special Apperance)
  14. Leela (2002) .... Guari
  15. Aankhen (2002) .... Neha Srivastav
  16. Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge (2002) .... Mehak
  17. Filhaal... (2002) .... Sia Sheth
  18. Kyo Kii... Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta (2001) .... Sonam
    ... aka Kyon Kii... Main Jhoot Nahin Bolta (India: Hindi title: alternative transliteration)
  19. Nayak: The Real Hero (2001) .... Special Appearance
  20. Bas Itna Sa Khwaab Hai (2001) .... Lara Oberoi
  21. Aaghaaz (2000) .... Sudha
  22. Fiza (2000) .... Guest Appearance

23. Hindustan Ki Kasam (1999) .... Priya
  24. Biwi No. 1 (1999) .... Rupali
  25. Mudhalvan (1999) .... Special Appearance (Song - Shakalaka Baby)
    ... aka Oke Okkadu (India: Telugu title: dubbed version)
  26. Sirf Tum (1999) .... Neha
  27. Zor (1997)
  28. Ratchakan (1997)
  29. Dastak (1996) .... Sushmita Sen
I doubt u'll read this all 😆😆.. but its quite interesting.. 😛😆😆

In the hush that followed the Miss India contest, most of the country had quite forgotten about the upcoming Miss Universe competition, to be held on May 21, in Manila, the Philippines. Unlike the Miss India contest, this one was not advertised as a 'live' broadcast. Then, the thunder struck. The news broke loose. All wires activated. India had won! A leggy Delhi belle with the most compelling personality, towered over 76 other beauties in the most viewed and talked-about international pageant. It was our very own 'Gandhi and khadi' girl, Sushmita Sen! A story that had to be.

It is not everyday that an 18-year-old fuels the international news machine: tabloids, news agencies, broadsheets, and multinational networks. It is not everyday that naivety is seamlessly married to a profoundly philosophical personality. It is hardly ever that an intelligent, articulate young woman; is equally expressive in the mute, very physical world of modeling. Hardly an adult, yet making a very adult living (now, tax free!). A child, who speaks of downtrodden children. A girl, who waxes hauntingly eloquent on the essence of womanhood. A person reared in the cocoon of cantonment life, in a middle-class suburb of Delhi, now showered with attention of global proportions. An ambassador of feminine beauty, peace, love, and optimism, at an age most kids are worried about getting a driving-license and a drinking permit. That's Sushmita Sen. That's Miss Universe, 1994. Representative of a nation of some 900 million people. Now, representative of humanity's higher aspirations: charity, love, and bringing happiness to the unfortunate.

Life, at its best, is unpredictable. It doesn't promise you anything, it doesn't take you by the hand, or show you all your destinations. For some, life just doesn't have any revelations. For others, it is a mellow tide, with occasional tidal waves. For Sushmita, life in its entirety, is obviously an unending ride upon the storm. It is apparent when you watch the post-Miss India interviews. The girl (between peals of warm laughter) revealed that when her father refused to let her go to the disco, she wrote a poem. Not surprisingly, it dwelled on the significance of "moments", moments which "pass like mice, don't let them pass you by." Youth is wasted on the young, goes a saying that stands corrected when confronted with Sen. For Sen has all the physical advantages of youth, and the wisdom associated with years of experience: The youngest among the 77 contestants at the Miss Universe pageant, she was yet the least predictable. Each round of questions met with soulful, reflective replies. Unlike Miss Venezuela, whose smiles got a bit profuse, and Miss Colombia, whose signature concern with pregnant, unwed mothers became repetitive, Sen's controlled; philosophical words carried a seductive resonance.

Take that poetic temperament (obviously inherited from her maternal grandfather, who was a poet) and fuse it with hardcore ambition and practicality, and what can you expect, but a winner? According to Ramesh Menon, a freelance journalist and friend of Sen, the young lady knew she had to make an impact at first opportunity. She thought over many ways to introduce herself in the introductory national costume parade, and then hit on: "Namaste, I am Sushmita Sen from India, where love is the essence of life!" Her' instincts couldn't have been sharper. The very first round of questions tackled her on what she meant by her announcement. Pat came her answer. India was multi-racial (her word, "multi-national' was absurd, but she was quick to support it by the phrase 'in the sense that'), it was a Goliath of a country; with 168 languages, no less. That we live in a state of relative harmony, is an indication that this is a nation of love. The shocking confidence in her categorical, positive assertion, had everyone charmed, if not convinced. Somehow with a few lines, she had--momentarily-obviated Kashmir, Assam, religious fundamentalism, and other bleak facts of Indian life. It was just as elegant as her, suave statement at the 'Femina Miss. India contest, that as far as she knew, 'the textile tradition of India began with khadi and Gandhi!

Sen is intelligent, but it is an intelligence as yet untainted by realism. Before all this happened, hers was yet a gossamer world, tipped between the cradle and the crown. Creative rather than literal, poetic rather than pedantic, it is these very qualities that endeared her to the viewers and judges. Take, for example, the manner in which she answered a most prosaic question. What sort of adventure would she undertake, had she the time and the money? "I believe that adventure is within myself and I would look for adventure in any child not. only a downtrodden child; but any child." A question so geographical, so tangible, was turned by Sen into a key to a profound insight!.

And of course, Sen didn't disappoint in that hair-splitting, fortuitous final round. What is the essence of a woman? Pause. A pause that showed, again, a fine degree of self-control and self-confidence. Sen was not going to take this round lightly. This was the purgatorial stage of the contest. Heaven or oblivion lay on either side. When she devoted the last month of her stay in Bombay, exclusively again, to prepare for the pageant, she was well warned by Sathya Saram, editor of Femina that there must be no compromise. A little slackness, defeat, and she would return to the country with no honors, no fans, no reception. Sen had seen how past Miss Indias, namely Madhu Sapre and Namrata Shirodkar missed the glory by just a few words. A few mistaken, weak syllables.

"Just being a woman is God's gift" Sen's husky voice broke over 600 million television viewers, and an auditorium containing some 20,000 odd people. Then came spontaneous inspiration: "The origin of a child is a mother, a woman. Woman is sharing she shows a man what sharing, caring, and loving is all about. That is the essence of a woman."

So what made her answer so full? So elemental? Structure. It was clinched, like the lyrics of a song. It was confident in its minimalism. Couched in a gentle voice which conveyed. tremendous conviction. What Sen said, somehow sounded like an old proverb, sifted from the myths and wisdom of an ancient civilization.

It is hard to believe that a girl could appear to be so accomplished with so fundamental an education socially, or academically. Then she is a Scorpio and Lord knows one can't take them for granted. Her schooling predominantly in the Air Force Golden Jubilee Institute, seems to have stood her in more than good stead. In so many ways, the little Titan or Titu (her pet name) is just like any other urbane Indian kid. She loves beer, spaghetti bolognaise, movies, like Roja, Pretty Woman, Overboard, books like My Feudal Lord (by Tehmina Durrani), and behold, STAR TV soaps like Santa Barbara and The Bold and the Beautiful! She freaks on ghazals, country music, soul, adores her dog Peps, loves holidaying in Goa, and thinks of Kishore Kumar and Raj Kapoor with nostalgia. She is deeply disturbed by begging children, and when asked about her attitude towards life, claims that "I made up my mind to walk up the stairs rather than take the lift."

It is obvious that the English Honors student wanted more than just a degree and some dingy job as a journalist. Observes Ramesh Menon: "I first met Sush after her class ten board finals. Over the next two years, she was armed with a portfolio that did not bring her much work. She had but a sprinkling of fashion shows. Then, soon after Miss India '93 was crowned, Sush seemed to know what she wanted. She had another portfolio done, and by this time, had completed her class twelve, She wasn't very inclined to attend regular college. What better pastime than modeling? For all her simplicity, she loved the glitter and glamour, and the money that came with it!"

The transformation from girl-next-door to supergirl was gradual Sen was now pitching to be the best in the business. She got an audition with Shantanu Sheorey last September. Though the results were fabulous, he did not need her. During this time, Menon recalls, "Sush was a very demanding, possessive, yet loving and caring friend. She needed attention all the time. And she sought lots of love from her friends. But she could also be very strong, adamant, and give a damn as to what the world at large felt."

At an inaugural party of the AIPA workshop on Photography in Delhi in October, she stunned quite a few lensmen with her cool demeanour and sense of humour. "You've got to introduce me to the Bombay guys," she told Menon. Time flew as Sen continued to plough opportunities in Delhi, for the big break. And that's when the forms for Miss India '94 appeared. Case closed!

"She has an uncanny gift of persuasion," reflects '93 Miss Universe runner-up, Namrata Shirodkar, "After she won the Miss India title, and took up professional modelling, I saw her arriving late for a couple of shows. She was still new; a bit disorganised with dates. I took her aside, asked her to be careful But even then, I observed how easily she handled people. She cooled tempers with great tact and was so convincing."

"If questioned about something wrong she had done, she'd very wittily make you see her point of view. Very quick on the uptake; she would use her intelligence to sail through any situation," beams her father, Mr. Sen, a retired Air Force commander. Says Ramma Bans, her fitness instructor, who supervised Sen's yoga and weight-lifting routine: "For someone so young, she never gave the impression of being carried away. There were days when you marvelled at her lack of privacy; the number of commitments she had. But she remained simple, very down-to-earth."

Says Kaushik Ghosh, who runs a modelling school in Delhi, and met Sen at an audition for a fashion show. "I could see that she had the height and the confidence to make it, but lacked the polish of a model, and needed some training with her walk and posing. In December '92, she participated in the first show of her life, at Siri Fort Auditorium, Delhi, and then in my show in January 93. At that time, some well-known models wanted to stage a walk-out because they felt that Sen was too new. But I was adamant. She constantly questioned me about her shortcomings, so she could better herself. She never bitched about anybody, even if the models and choreographers gave her a rough time. Hers is a real Cinderella story. I'm proud that she made it."

"I want to see you in the 10 finalists," was what Sen's wardrobe designer, Sangeeta Chopra told her. Chopra's pet phrase, "she's no bimbo-beauty" is illumined when you hear her say, "Sush has a vibrant personality. She is self-assured, but in a pleasant way. I sensed her nervousness when she left. But I knew she believed in herself. She was thrilled about having won a token title, "Luckiest Contestant." But I told her I'd only be satisfied with the crown!"

Recalls Sathya Saran, "Once, after winning her Miss India title, she was flying back to Delhi on completion of a shoot in Bombay. I asked her to help herself, call up the airlines and book her own ticket. When she called, she had to identify herself. The moment she said Sushmita Sen, the airlines told her not to worry, they'd find a seat for her even if they were full up. She couldn't believe she was so well-known. I told her, of course, you are known. You're a national celebrity!"

This earthy rootedness is just what impressed fashion columnist Meher Castelino. "A lot of successful models, when contacted for an interview, are obliging, but abrupt. Sushmita was so warm, I felt like I had known her for years. She was totally punctual, had all her photos in place, so I could choose from them." Castelino also marvels at Sen's verbal virtuosity. "I've watched her in several interviews, and noticed that she keeps her mind very cool, uncluttered. She either pauses, or repeats the question. That is a clever way of gaining two to five seconds, to sort out your ideas. She never had her foot in her mouth.

"There are reports claiming that Sen practised pat replies to questions with a Karaoke microphone, getting voice projection, intonations, pronunciations; correct. Reveals her boyfriend, Rajat Tara, an export merchandiser with Benetton, "She worked hard at preparing herself. She'd say 'C'mon! Ask me questions, and I'd sportingly start off: 'Miss Sen, what would you do if you were to...!* She always had answers!"

Words never fail a poet, do they? Apparently Sen was loved even at work, where she could keep up a constant patter, between striking those professional poses. She was acquainted with sher-o-shayaris, and even ventured into a duel with actor Shatrugan Sinha once, just after they'were'introduced before a TV recording!

Probe a little deeper, and you see other forerunning factors that have helped Sushmita Sen become such a confident, articulate teenager. Her mother always treated her as an adult. Said she, in a recent published interview: "Sushmita was never a problem child. At a young age, she was stubborn, not arrogant. What she wanted, she wanted. She was a very social (sic) child, maybe because I took her wherever I went. From a kitty party to any ladies club function. She has lots of friends and her birthday parties were always a grand, much-awaited event."

It is obvious that mother and daughter shared a strong relationship. Sen claims that the influence on her career is her "mom." In her heyday, Mrs. Sen who is, even today, more glamorous than her daughter, was offered the Bombay Dyeing campaign, but turned it down and got married. She always told her daughter, "Either you will zoom up in life or you'll go down into the dumps," She had enough confidence in her growing daughter to tell her what was good and bad, and allow her to choose. Before Sen left for the Miss India contest, mother and daughter talked for several days. Mrs. Sen warned her at the airport, that there is such a thing as an 'upset', too, and encouraged her to keep her equilibrium, to be natural, and be herself. The next morning, the papers had declared her daughter to be Miss India, 1994

Sen's father has also contributed to her remarkable personality. "What I gave her and my son (who is 13 and in school), right from the beginning, was freedom to express themselves in whatever way they wanted, but within certain parameters, And I think that is what stood them in good' stead." Added to this liberalism, was the constant change of setting for the growing Sen. Born in Hyderabad, her family was posted in Nagpur, then Jorhat, and finally in Delhi, where she attended the Air Force Silver School, over the last decade, In one televised interview, Sen had mused over the pluses and minuses of cantonment life," Being part of the 'camp' kept you isolated from outside realities. "But you also meet people who are genuine, who know you well, and encourage you sincerely."
The doctrine of-discipline, Sen learnt to respect from her father. A man who, today, is fending for space between the 40 to 50 presswallahs after him because he fathered this year's Miss Universe! Anyway, what better time to reflect on this wondergirl? "I recall a time when Sushmita was just seven. She had slipped from a slide and cut her head, The gash was deep, we rushed to the hospitaL There, the doctor asked her to choose whether she wanted to be stitched up while conscious, or unconscious, with anaesthesia. What is anaesthesia' she asked tbe doctor. He asked her if she could bear the pain of being stitched without it... 'Do you think I can?' she counter-questioned the doctor. He told her if she was brave, she could. And she made her decision. No anesthesia. The girl was silent through out the procedure. It was only when she bid the doctor goodbye, and leaned against me in the car, that she admitted to the pain.

"You know, as a kid, she'd never really study hard, but listen to her mother or me read out her lessons. Then, she'd repeat the whole lesson verbatim. If I questioned her, about whether she had understood what she said, she'd say I'll just show you,' and go to her room. There, she'd write the gist of it in the form of a poem. She was always doing that.

"I remember, once we were all watching a Miss Universe contest, when she was 15. Her comment was, 'You know papa, I don't think many of these girls come across as really beautiful, except maybe one or two.' I remember teasing her that if she was interested in beauty contests, she should participate in the Air Force Club Contest, and she turned around and told me, I'll aim right for the ultimate!'"

But even ex-Wing Commander, daddy Sen, couldn't believe just how much potential this little girl had. "It hasn't sunk in yet," he repeats, hours after the mega event. "I'm still trying to grapple with the reality. I've been getting so many phone calls from people whom I don't even know. In fact, I didn't see the contest live. When I got a call from my brother in L.A. that Sushmita had won the Miss Universe crown, I couldn't quite believe it. The implications have still not sunk in, I can only say that she has done me proud"

If her father feels fulfilled, her grandpa must be credited with almost prophesying what lay ahead. Soon after her Miss India triumph, he wrote her a note straight from the heart: My dear Titu Sona, one crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name, You've become a national celebrity overnight as the most beautiful girl in the country. The glory you have attained as Miss India has taken us all your parents, and all dear and near ones, by storm. We are still feeling submerged in a floodside of ecstasy and excitement. You have justifiably deserved God's Grace in this unique endeavour and achievement. Your title Miss India 1994 will be a golden passport for universal applause, admiration and recognition." That last bit challenged the dim line that separated Sen's present from her future. Within the space of five months (between the two contests), Sen's life was completely overhauled!

Sushmita Sen declared on Surabhi that beauty contests are actually personality contests. All her well-wishers reminded her that her personality was her USP. The microphone was as crucial a tool of communication, as her appearance on the camera. Just as Sen understood that a model communicates largely with the eyes, without speech, she realised what kind of impact she would have to create as candidate for a world ambassador.

She was aware of her lack of conventional beauty. She once said, in an interview, "I know I am not beautiful. To me, Madhuri Dixit is beautiful. I am nothing." One newspaper described her as having "eyebrows upon which you could rewrite the first chapter of Pride and Prejudice." Before leaving, she confessed to counting on more than just the exteriors. "Intelligence, poise, wit, all of these count a lot in international contests."

Exactly the qualities Rajat Tara, Sen's boyfriend, assured her made her special. He was a pillar, of emotional support, throughout ' her climb, and is now, too. "To be very honest; I always thought Sush had potential. She always had ample confidence and a wonderful way of putting forward her thoughts. When she was in Manila, I used to speak to her almost every day,. telling her 'You're going to crack it.' She is a very sensitive, loving, emotional, fun,.down-to-earth kind of person. She knows where she's going.

"She called me up the day she won, and her feelings were exactly what came through in her pictures, splashed in the newspapers. She was numb, blank, and extremely thrilled. She could hardly speak because of a bad throat; due to making so many speeches!."

He feels no pangs of insecurity, now that his girlfriend has became a superstar, "When she became Miss India, I was told by my friends that it would be tough on me. But nothing changed. Sushmita had no airs, and was still very caring." He points out that she loves children, and often stopped on the road to talk to a little boy or girl. Marriage is definitely on the cards, but it can wait: According to Menon, Sen said marriage was a good eight to ten years away. And everybody understands.

"She's got a little of everything," analyses Sathya Saran. "She's got the height. She's got the spirit that lights her up; which compensates for her lack of classical beauty." Fashion choreographer, Lubna Adams, points out that her poise and grace seem effortlessly consistent. "On stage, she is very aware of her audience's moods: She has incredible presence of mind."

The consistent confidence intrigues almost everyone, considering that circumstances during both the contests hardly fed it. In the Miss India contest, the exotic, light-eyed Aishwarya Rai had the support of millions of TV viewers, who had a powerful glimpse of her "Hi, I am Sanjana" role in the Pepsi campaign. Then again, at the Miss Universe contest, anchorpersons Arthel Neville and Angela Visser, gushed over the Miss Belgiums, the Miss Venezuelas, and Miss Colombias. Neither the Indian press, nor the Phillipino press, made much of a fuss about Sen, prior to her victories.

In fact, there are still debates on whether Aishwarya Rai would also have taken the crown, had she been sent for the Miss Universe pageant. Sharbari Dhole maintains that when Sushmita started doing photo-sessions with blue contact lenses, it was a desperate bid to borrow Aishwarya's charm. Dhole also scoffs at Sen's body: "Do you call that a figure?" But supporters of Sen are quick to refute the charges. Says Rasna Behl, fashion show producer, "Contact lenses are a trend across the board. All the actresses are wearing them. Now, even male models and actors use them!" As for Sen's scrawny build, Sangeeta Chopra has only nice things to say. "She has no flaws that need hiding. No fat thighs, or hips, or hunch. All she needed was to work on her biceps, triceps, and pectorals, and gain a kilo, which she did before she left!"

Says Prabhuddha Dgsgupta, acdaimed photographer, who was on the panel of judges for the Miss India contest: "What appeals is her poise and honesty, which came through even in the Miss India contest, while other contestants like Aishwarya came across as too smart and too prepared to win. Sushmita came across as herself, and said what she felt. In fact; I feel she has a very well-rounded personality for her age."

Harbans Mody, who shot her for her first portfolio, and then again after she became Miss India, testifies to her character: "There was no change in her at all. No airs, nothing. She had her head firmly on her shoulders. And she didn't charge a paisa. That's the real Sushmita."

At the press conference held subsequent to the Miss India contest, it was easy to see that of the two, Sen was far more at ease with herself. Rai arrived half an hour late, in a tight black stocking dress, more suited to a night event, with a full regalia of make-up on. Sen was on time, wore a modest suit-dress, had hardly any make-up on, and plonked herself comfortably next to the journos.

"Aishwarya is definitely prettier," says Sen's acquaintance, and designer, Ashley Rebello. "But at some point, she got over confident," he condudes, somewhat finally. With all due credit to Ms. Sushmita Sen's oratorial talents and natural poise, one can't help pulling back from the nitty-gritties to take a wide-angled look at the current dynamics behind beauty contests. Is there a pattern of political correctness in the decision of who makes it to the finalists, from a group of 77 contenders? Are stereotypes of international beauty dominated by the Anglo Saxon, Caucasian blonde hair and blue eyes, being challenged?

In the summer of '88, the Miss Universe pageant was held in Taiwan, a newly recognised power-economy. All the three winners that year were from the Far East. Miss Universe was Miss Nakhirunkanok (Miss Thailand), and the runners-up were from Japan and Korea. It was not difficult to relate this to the fact that Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Korea, and Thailand were emerging as strong economies.

So also, India has suddenly dawned on the powers-that-be; as the 'Waking Elephant', the largest democracy, the largest free market economy. The Miss Indias over the last four years have been placing in the final ten, and many opine that it was just a matter of time before one took the crown.

Recalls Namrata Shirodkar, who ranked fourth runner-up last year: "Four US judges told me they had done their best to help me win. They were very sorry that I didn't." So also, she points out, the venue of the contest makes a difference. When she went to the Phillipines, for the Miss Asia-Pacific, contest, she felt a lot of support from the Phillipinos in the audience. "Of course the pageant is politically correct," laughs Ashley Rebello. "I won't be surprised if the next Miss Universe is from Bosnia!"

But optimism reigns. Rasna Behl maintains that there is a general upsurge of interest in Indian girls, in the world of international fashion. "Indian looks are very versatile. An Indian model can wear an ethnic ensemble just as naturally as a western creation, There is a tremendous demand for Indian models in the Gulf; they find their dark hair, dark eyes, very exotic: In London, there are agencies that deal only with Asian models." Sathya Saran believes that any Miss Universe candidate from a Third World country is more informed, than a First World candidate. "This is because the former are upwardly mobile, they educate themselves about their own country and the dominant cultures, making them better cultural ambassadors."

Sen's designer, Sangeeta Chopra, was careful to pack her an integral wardrobe, the, 25-odd outfits containing traces of both ethnic wear, and western wear "Sushmita was wrongly advised to 'carry all traditional clothes, or to carry ultra-mod, glamorous clothes. Neither one accurately represents today's Indian woman."

Sure, the images of Sen in her angavastram, resplendent in gold and copper, or her black and white pinafore cocktail dress, or the glittering silver white evening gown (the most lingering, for obvious reasons), have etched themselves in the memories of millions of young Indian women, who can now dare to dream of an international title.

Sushmita Sen is living history, as the first Indian Miss Universe in the 43-odd years of the pageant's existence, The first Indian to'"be assured of millions of dollars in her vanity bag, super-prestigious promotional contracts, a total of $250,000 worth of.cash, gifts and prizes. (Which includes a dazzling diamond brooch studded with one hundred diamonds on 18 kt gold and platinum, a Hammerman original, valued at US $20,000. A luxury apartment in Los Angeles, Califomia, USA. A swanky sportscar of the latest international model. A 32-carat diamond jewellery collection consisting of matching earrings, bracelet, and ring made especially for Miss Universe!) Sen is also the first Indian to "give up the reality of being an Indian for the next one year, to become a citizen of the world." Probably one of the first Indian teenagers ever known to be in a position to work on issues like needy children, poverty, politics and feminism.

It will be hard work. Constant chaperoning to banquets, dinners, fund-raisers, and diplomatic dos. No proximity to friends, boyfriend, family. Will the trimmings of glory intoxicate the 18-year-old idealist? One who was content to sit with quill and paper, jotting whimsical denotations of casual inspiration? Will she, like Reita Faria, Miss World in '66, settle overseas forever and abandon the country for glamrous opportunity? Probably not. The ardent support she showed for Gandhi, her nationalistic responses to congratulations, and her closeness to her family, all veto these possibilities. The girl seems to have brought national glory with her very birthday, which coincides with Indira Gandhi's. She was crowned on the death anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi, a man whose prime vision was seeing the youth consolidate a ever! new India. And if she but looks around her, she will notice that India is acquiring a new status. The prime minister's reception in the joint house of Parliament, in Washington, led to unprecedented coverage in the western media. The London Times called India a "proud but thin-skinned nation." The US Forbes magazine (May '94) declared India "the biggest emerging market of all." The New York Titnes, The Washington Times, and The Los Angeles Times also featured lengthy analyses of India's economic reforms. Zoom in to the Cannes Film Festival, and one sees a similar sensitivity tolndia. Three films from the subcontinent have been featured in the main sections, for the first time in a decade!

Yes, Sushmita Sen, you've done it. Same say you'll join a top American university, mould your remarkable mental resources, and join the. U.N. Others say you'll gravitate to Hollywood, or haute pastures. Whatever it is you do, please remain Indian. As proud and thin-skinned as they come!

(Source : Society, June, 1994)
www.magnamags.com
u thought correct bakri..itna padoogi main 😆 ...may be later 😛
Hey guyz i wanna join the club can i? 😳
u guys can add AMEY DATE from indian idol 2! he luvs her 2 bits!!! 😛
HEY EVEN I WANNA JOIN DIS CLUB PLEASE PLEASE AND THE SIGGY'S R AWESOME! 😛
Some more pics of Sushmita.. Sorry if these pics posted here before: