Poll Question :

Do you think people who like maths are freaks?

Poll Choice
Yes
No
It depends
Login To Vote
Posted: 17 years ago

Hey,

I was just wondering what you thought of people who love maths! From my experiences, when I'm sat in the library and doing some maths homework someone I know will walk upto me and upon seeing that I'm doing maths will walk away!πŸ˜• Or they'll exclaim, 'oh my!! you must be genius, I couldnt even pass GCSE maths!' etc etc etc. Have you ever experinced or done this?

I'm just curious, because it does annoy me at times, because I dont think that I'm someone special because I do maths and I most definitely dont like being called a freakπŸ˜› 

MAth? eww
lol i think thats enough said

i used to be really really really good in math and i enjoyed it a lot when i was younger. then when i changed schools from 6th to 7th grade i was placed in a special math program where i went from 6th grade to 9th grade math. in 7th and 8th grade it was not as bad because everyone in the class was the same age and doing 2 years ahead math so it did not sem like that big of a deal and i did well in 7th and 8th grade even though i was doing 9th and 10th grade math without ever having seen 7th or 8th grade math. then, when i started high school i was placed in 11th grade math class because i had done 9th and 10th grade work before entering the school. the other kids didnt do that so all the kids in my math class were 11th grade students while i was in the 9th grade. it was their 2nd to last year while it was my 1st year in the school. i didnt know any of them and they all thought i was some sort of freak because i was in the same level math class as them and i was 2 years younger. i felt pressured and i thought the material was hard because i was in a class with all older students who i didnt know. yea well eventually my math grades started dropping to the point where im doing really poorly in math (in the c+ b- range) this makes matters worse for me because im in an honors program where i have to maintain an above 90 cumulative average. i want to stay in that program until i graduate (or atleast get into a really good university) well i am able to manage it but i have to get like 95s in all my other classes to make sure my overall average is high enough and math kills my overall average every semester...but im used to it now (and i dont have to take math during the next two years because i finish high school math in june this year while all my other friends have to take 2 more years of math😊 )

ok enough about the history of math in my academic career πŸ˜† πŸ˜† howmany of you fell asleep on your keyboard? πŸ˜‰ its ok i 4give you 😳

so...while i respect people who do well in math i dont think they should be considered freaks. people are good at different things. people good at math should feel special because they possess a quality not found in many people. But just because someone is good at it or likes it does not mean people should treat them differently. and they should not be forced to be put into special math related programs just because they are good at it or enjoy it.

like in my case, advancing students may seem like an achievement at the moment but later on it is the student who suffers. i used to love math when i was little and now i cant even stand the sight of it.

but the 1 thing i dont understand is the logic behind math. i mean yea it is important and all but why do we have to take classes we will never use? im in calculus right now and all of you who have taken or take calculus or even know how calculus works know how useless it is. i mean when in your practical life will you need to know the limit of anything as it approaches infinity? when will you use derivaitves? its all so pointless. trig and stats and stuff can be usefull for people depending on their profession but what role does calculus play in professional life? i think that if we all know basic math we are at a pretty good point in our life. arithmatic and a few basic other math stuff is all i REALLY need in life. math is by far the most useless class offered..well actually mandated upon students
thanks for replying 😊 and no i didnt all asleep πŸ˜›

you see maths at the level which you speak off, leaves everyone asking them questions! thats why to answer them i want to do maths at uni. from what i heard the maths that you talk of (calculus etc) is nothing compared to further level. calculus gives you a model for applied maths, like oscialltions etc which is important for many structures etc (enough of that lesson aswell πŸ˜› )

i understand why you dont like it anymore, but thats not your fault. something like that happened to me aswell and the peer pressure was enormous and i felt like dropping out, but then all the people who laugh at me and call me mental for doing maths would have been happy- so i persevered with it πŸ˜ƒ

i have a quote in my room, 'why are people ashamed of being illeterate but proud of being innumerate?' thats what bugs me! it seems acceptable in society that no one can do basic sums etc!!
πŸ˜† I used to like math 2 dayz ago. lolz. After wat my teacher did. I dont like it anymore.. actually wait.

I like it again now. lolz. Math is my fav subject. N wat kind of topic is diz.. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† no offence.

Originally posted by CuteFairy91

πŸ˜† I used to like math 2 dayz ago. lolz. After wat my teacher did. I dont like it anymore.. actually wait.

I like it again now. lolz. Math is my fav subject. N wat kind of topic is diz.. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† no offence.
non taken😊 but i read a thread which suggested something different, and you dont only have to debate about politics etc😊

in my opinion it really depends on the teacher whether you like or hate a subject.

I have a feeling its that math home work you've been avoiding (the one you mentioned in the adult vs tean post)!! πŸ˜†
Well!
MAths iz really important- I dont hate this subject but im a bit weak in it πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Well! Itz fine with me........... I love solving sums but i hate word problems --- so itz kindof 50 50

very interesting topic... ITS AN HONOUR FOR ME TO ANNOUNCE THAT IM A COMPLETE MATHS PERSON!!!! πŸ˜ƒ AND IM NOT A FREAK! (Do i look like one?? πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ )

I don't see any reason for people being good at maths categorized as freaks... why??? I used to secure 100/100 in maths in 7th 8th 9th classes..nobody ever called me freak... instead people used to come to me to help them... even there were times when i used to discuss with my physics teacher on a certain topic and used to give maths logics..(BTW i got 98/100 in my 10th class boards πŸ˜ƒ )

Javs is 100% right here.. its extremely important to understand the logic behind that coz maths is a highly logical subject.... but Javs... the calculus u r studying is very imp in different fields.. and very useful too e.g. in mechnical enginering u need integration for calculating the volume of an irregular shaped body..... unless u don't know derivatives u can't get integration( which is the opposite of derivatives).. and in derivatives u use the formulae to know the gradient of a parabola or hyperbola at one point... moreover in accounting(which im studying currently) in the advanced stages i need to calculate tedious accounts and cost calculations.. u may need to hurt ur head harder to get the initial concept of derivatives as it took a month πŸ˜• for me to just get the basic concept of calculus.. innumerus books and my father to help me (he's a mechanical engineer too πŸ˜› ).. but the end result is v.v.v.v satisfying when u get the big picture of it..... i did matriculation in a school where i live.. then i took up A-levels and studied privately(there r very few schools offering a-levels here + don't have quality education) .. and i took economics, business studies and maths(combination in stats)... in economics if u don't know maths.. forget doing the subject... the increments r used to calculate marginal costs and other things (imp concepts of eco.) i got teacher of stats and eco.. as 2 subjects r correlated ... and did maths totally on my own.. its just the interest which matters in studying any subject.. and i personally LOVE doing maths and physics.. (but i don't do physics now )

hey im doing the same thing as JAvs did πŸ˜• ... i think everybody will doze off here in this forum after having this much dose of MATHS πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† .. and i think that's enough lesson for u JAvs 😳 im going bit tooo high!!!! πŸ˜• Sorry guys!!! 😳

Originally posted by MNMS

very interesting topic... ITS AN HONOUR FOR ME TO ANNOUNCE THAT IM A COMPLETE MATHS PERSON!!!! πŸ˜ƒ AND IM NOT A FREAK! (Do i look like one?? πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ )

I don't see any reason for people being good at maths categorized as freaks... why??? I used to secure 100/100 in maths in 7th 8th 9th classes..nobody ever called me freak... instead people used to come to me to help them... even there were times when i used to discuss with my physics teacher on a certain topic and used to give maths logics..(BTW i got 98/100 in my 10th class boards πŸ˜ƒ )

Javs is 100% right here.. its extremely important to understand the logic behind that coz maths is a highly logical subject.... but Javs... the calculus u r studying is very imp in different fields.. and very useful too e.g. in mechnical enginering u need integration for calculating the volume of an irregular shaped body..... unless u don't know derivatives u can't get integration( which is the opposite of derivatives).. and in derivatives u use the formulae to know the gradient of a parabola or hyperbola at one point... moreover in accounting(which im studying currently) in the advanced stages i need to calculate tedious accounts and cost calculations.. u may need to hurt ur head harder to get the initial concept of derivatives as it took a month πŸ˜• for me to just get the basic concept of calculus.. innumerus books and my father to help me (he's a mechanical engineer too πŸ˜› ).. but the end result is v.v.v.v satisfying when u get the big picture of it..... i did matriculation in a school where i live.. then i took up A-levels and studied privately(there r very few schools offering a-levels here + don't have quality education) .. and i took economics, business studies and maths(combination in stats)... in economics if u don't know maths.. forget doing the subject... the increments r used to calculate marginal costs and other things (imp concepts of eco.) i got teacher of stats and eco.. as 2 subjects r correlated ... and did maths totally on my own.. its just the interest which matters in studying any subject.. and i personally LOVE doing maths and physics.. (but i don't do physics now )

hey im doing the same thing as JAvs did πŸ˜• ... i think everybody will doze off here in this forum after having this much dose of MATHS πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† .. and i think that's enough lesson for u JAvs 😳 im going bit tooo high!!!! πŸ˜• Sorry guys!!! 😳

I was just about to say the bolded and underlined parts. πŸ˜† I'm doing accounting as well and I know that calculus becomes important at advanced levels.

Calculus is so important in profit and loss calculations and decision making. In Economics, especially, you always make calculations at the margin. (i.e. using derivatives)

Plus, even if you don't use hard core math, stuff like time value of money is very very important to make decisions - like buying or selling a factory plant, etc.

As you must have guessed, I also liked math a lot. πŸ˜‰ But, I HATED geometry and trigonometry. That was because I already knew which field I wanted to enter by my 10th std. boards and felt I was wasting my time with the other stuff.

thanks T. 😳 ... at least i don't feel myself alone from the accounting fraternity in IF πŸ˜†