Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
@ Shivang, Yes, that was my original logic!!! 👏   So, your turn next  😊

@ Vrish, Nice try 😊. But as you can understand, I took the concept of 'Vishnu's avtaars' as my logic for connecting these characters.

Yes, those info were also new to me before knowing about SB, which mentions more than 20 avtaars of Vishnu thr't the whole text. As the 'Rules' post does not have any point mentioning whether to include them (relatively lesser known Avtaars of Vishnu from SB)  in our game Thread or not, so I decided to include them here.  

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Yes Vrish. Vyas is considered one of 24 incarnations of Vishnu not out of 10 major (or source differences - and we have no restriction on any mythological sources). Balram is Vishnu's incarnation out of those 24 but whether you connect him with Krishna as brother or as incarnation, it doesn't make any difference (1 degree in both cases). In Vyas's case, it does make the difference but for logical consistency, IMO, we have to allow it. That's why I also gave Varaali's answer correct despite I connected Shukdev and Shukracharya through Vasudev and not through Krishna. Another connection came to my mind with the score par with Varaali's answer but that was only after her answer and after declaring her winner on the spot:

Shukracharya ====> Yayati (Son in law 2 degrees)
Yayati ====> Pandu (Descendant through Puru-----Vichitravirya 1 degree)
Pandu ====> Shukdev (Half brother 2 degrees)

But the above answer would have been invalid because in the same answer, we can't have Vyas and Vichitravirya both as fathers of Pandu.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 12 years ago
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Ok my next question:

String the sequence:

Janmejaya, Parikshit, Arjun, Shantanu, _________
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Yes, there are actually 22 avatars as per Srimad bhagavatam. Dhanvantri is one of them- as is Mohini.  The avatars are listed in the First Skanda, chapter 3.

Regarding the progeny of Vyasa- 

Wilst Dritarashtra, Pandu , Vidura and Shukadev are all biological sons of Vyasa, only the last can be considered his  actual son . Though the first three were also begot by him, they automatically came under the 'Kuru' gotra- not Vyasa's gotra. 

Let me try to explain this (as much as I have understood...). Dritarashtra and Pandu were fathered by Vyasa- no doubt, but if they had to perform their father's tarpan who would it be? Vichitraveerya's  and even Chitrangada's but certainly not Vyasa's . Why? Because of the gotra (family lineage) into which they are born into. 

For instance, when Dritarashtra and Pandu's Upanayanam would have been performed, whose names they would have taken as their father and grandfather? Vichitraveerya and Shantanu's - not Krishna Dwaipayana and Parashara. These names would have been taken by Shukhadev.

That's why I feel, Vyasa cannot be considered Kunti's father in law . Father of Drt and Pandu...maybe but not father in law of Kunti / Gandhari / Mrs Vidura. 

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Originally posted by: ShivangBuch

Ok my next question:

String the sequence:

Janmejaya, Parikshit, Arjun, Shantanu, _________

Emperor Pratip's grandfather.  Dushyant????
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Extremely close Varaali.

Ok 22 incarnations not 24 and Mohini is also one of those if I am not wrong. And if we add in them VR, Lakshman-Bharat-Shatrughn will be further 3 won't they? Or along with Ram, the will be counted as 1? And Nar-Narayan are counted as 1 or 2? Sanatkumars counted as 1 or 4? Is Dattatreya also counted? Buddha is already part of 10 major. And I think all 10 are included in these 22. Subset of the larger set.

Yes Vyas was only biological father of Pandu and hence can't be called father in law of Kunti but still the game allows all kinds of parents - biological or adoptive or bringing up parents. I could have connected in 2 steps by saying Kunti's husband Pandu and Pandu's father Vyas. Then it would have been the same thing but wouldn't have looked weird. What I wrote was just the short cut way of arriving at the answer with few rows but same points as per the rules despite the absence of direct acceptable relationship between Kunti and Vyas.
varaali thumbnail

There not be any speculations. Srimad Bhagavatham lists all the 22. Narad is there, as is Kapila muni. Nara / Narayana are also included, but whether one or  two I am not sure. Dattatreya is also counted...

What Valmiki Ramayan has to say about LBS, I am not sure...

Coming back to your question, Kunti herself is a Vrishi / Shoora by birth so why should she not be considered as a descendant of Devyani / Yayati ?
varaali thumbnail
Dushyant's father -  Hastin????
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Shivang

I agree w/ Varaali in that although Pandu can be considered Vyasa's son, Kunti can't be considered his DIL for the reasons she described.  Like the Upanayan and all that, even a marriage would have made Kunti the kulvadhu of Vichitravirya/Ambalika, not Vyasa.

Anyway, my answer to your question here is Ajmidha

You went from Janamejaya - Parikshit - 1 generation
Parikshit - Arjun - 2 generations
Arjun - Shantanu - 3 generations

So the answer would be 4 generations above Shantanu.  Shantanu's father was Jahnu, whose father was Kuru, whose father was Ruksha, whose father was Ajmidha.

Am I correct in either line of reasoning, or actual answer?  If I'm right in the former but wrong in the latter, then who do you have 4 generations above Shantanu?

Varaali

Hasti was the father of Ajmidha, and 4 generations after Bharata.  I don't think this question would include Bharat, since it went just by Janamejaya's ancestrial lineage, which is why Shivang put Arjun instead of Yudhisthir in the chain.  But it may have been Shivang's answer, assuming that he may not have expected anyone to know about Ajmidha.
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Vrish,

Wasn't Shantanu's father  Emperor Pratip?