* \|/ Games of the Yuga: SOC \|/ * - Page 5

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by varaali

Vrish,

Wasn't Shantanu's father  Emperor Pratip? 

Turns out you are right.  In which case, the answer may well be Kuru, assuming that the extra ruler b/w Pratipa and him are found.  I don't think it's Hasti in that case.

Incidentally, I have a book 'Who's who in the Mahabharata' by Subash Mazumdar, which had Yayati's family tree drawn out.  However, reading the article about Pratipa in the same book, it had him as Shantanu's father, so guess one would have to find his grandfather (wasn't Dushyant) to get the answer.
Vrish you have got the logic correctly but Shantanu's father was Pratip.

There are many variant sources and I post all of them here. And then we will decide exactly which name can be filled up in that blank (But there will be multiple possibilities) due to different sources but the essence being that the answer is --- Great grandfather of Pratip i.e. just 1 generation above Varaali's original answer and 4th generation above Shantanu.

Next post will be my references and links.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 12 years ago
KMG translation of MB - Adi Parva

• Samvarana begat upon his wife, Tapati, the daughter of Surya, a son named Kuru. This Kuru was exceedingly virtuous, and therefore, he was installed on the throne by his people. It is after his name that the field called Kuru-jangala has become so famous in the world. Devoted to asceticism, he made that field (Kurukshetra) sacred by practising asceticism there. 
  • And it has been heard by us that Kuru's highly intelligent wife, Vahini, brought forth five sons, viz., Avikshit, Bhavishyanta, Chaitraratha, Muni and the celebrated Janamejaya
  • And Avikshit begat Parikshit the powerful, Savalaswa, Adhiraja, Viraja, Salmali of great physical strength, Uchaihsravas, Bhangakara and Jitari the eighth. 
  • In the race of these were born, as the fruit of their pious acts seven mighty car-warriors with Janamejaya at their head. 
  • And unto Parikshit were born sons who were all acquainted with (the secrets of) religion and profit. And they were named Kakshasena and Ugrasena, and Chitrasena endued with great energy, and Indrasena and Sushena and Bhimasena

• And the sons of Janamejaya were all endued with great strength and became celebrated all over the world. And they were Dhritarashtra who was the eldest, and Pandu and Valhika, and Nishadha endued with great energy, and then the mighty Jamvunada, and then Kundodara and Padati and then Vasati the eighth. And they were all proficient in morality and profit and were kind to all creatures. Among them Dhritarashtra became king. 
  • And Dhritarashtra had eight sons, viz., Kundika, Hasti, Vitarka, Kratha the fifth, Havihsravas, Indrabha, and Bhumanyu the invincible, and 
  • Dhritarashtra had many grandsons, of whom three only were famous. They were, O king, Pratipa, Dharmanetra, Sunetra. 
  • Among these three, Pratipa became unrivalled on earth. And, O bull in Bharata's race, Pratipa begat three sons, viz., Devapi, Santanu, and the mighty car-warrior Valhika. The eldest Devapi adopted the ascetic course of life, impelled thereto by the desire of benefiting his brothers. And the kingdom was obtained by Santanu and the mighty car-warrior Valhika. 
Shrimad Bhagwat Skandh 9 Adhyay 22 (Green part is relevant for us)

• Riksha was another son born from Ajamdha
  • He begot Samvarana 
  • from whose wife Tapat, the daughter of the sungod, Kuru was born, the king of Kurukshetra. 
  • Parkshi, Sudhanu, Jahnu and Nishadha were Kuru's sons. 
From Sudhanu was Suhotra born and from him took Cyavana birth of whom there was Krit. (6) From him there was Uparicara Vasu and his sons headed by Brihadratha were Kus'mba, Matsya, Pratyagra and Cedipa and others. They all became rulers of the state of Cedi. (7) From Brihadratha was Kus'gra born. From his son Rishabha was Satyahita born who as his offspring had Pushpavn whose son was Jahu. (8)Brihadratha begot with a second wife he had a son in two halves who, because of the mother rejecting them, by Jar [the daughter of Time, see also 4.27: 19] playfully were united saying: 'Come alive, come alive', so that a son called Jarsandha ['Jar's hermaphrodite'] was born [that later became a vital enemy of Lord Krishna]. (9) From him was then Sahadeva born of whose son Sompi there was S'rutas'rav. 

• Parkshi [another son of Kuru] had no children while of Jahnu one was born named Suratha. 
  • (10) From him there was Viduratha 
  • of whom Sarvabhauma was born. 
  • He had Jayasena 
  • and from his son Radhika 
  • was Ayutyu born. 
  • (11) From him then there was Akrodhana 
  • who had a son named Devtithi 
  • of whom Riksha was born 
  • who had a son called Dilipa 
  • and because of him there was the son Pratipa
  • (12-13) From him were born the sons Devapi, Shantanu and Bahalika. 
Now this is one more link which apparently looks incorrect but it can be interpreted along with MB KMG para.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_Kingdom#Puru_Dynasty

Kuru Dynasty

• From Tapati was born Kuru, who married Subhangi, the princess of Dasarha. He begat on her a son named Viduratha,
  • Viduratha took to wife Supriya, the daughter of the Madhavas. He begat upon her a son named Anaswan.
  • Anaswan married Amrita, the daughter of the Madhavas. Of her was born a son named Parikshit-1.
  • Parikshit-1 took for his wife Suvasa, the daughter of the Vahudas, and begat upon her a son named Bhimasena.
  • Bhimasena married Kumari, the princess of Kekaya and begat upon her Pratisravas.
  • Pratisravas' son was Pratipa.
  • Pratipa married Sunanda, the daughter of Sivi, and begat upon her three sons, viz., Devapi, Santanu and Valhika-1. Devapi, while still a boy, entered the woods as a hermit. Santanu became king.

Now in my previous to previous post, it is just mentioned that Pratipa is the grandson of Dhritarashtra. But he need not be the son of his son. He can be his nephew's son too and still in the translation, he can be called his grandson. Now as per this wiki link, Pratipa is the grandson of Bhimsena. As per KMG paragraph, Bhimsena is the son of Parikshi/Parikshit. So Parikshit will be great grandfather of Pratipa and hence is our answer.

But please note that there also seems to be some logical inconsistency in that paragraph of translation of KMG. Dhritarashtra is Janmejaya's son and Janmejaya is Kuru's son. Avikshit is also Kuru's son and Parikshit is Avikshit's son. So that way Janmejaya and Parikshit should be uncle-nephew. Now that way Parikshit and Dhritrashtra are cousins. That way Parikshit should be grand father and not great grandfather OR Dhritrashtra should be great grandfather and not grandfather. In that case our answer can be either Avikshit or Janmejay. Correct me if my interpretation is wrong.

As per Shrimad Bhagwat, our answer is Devtithi.

Anyway, based on reasoning, Vrish, it will be your turn next. Or else Varaali can post.
Connect Kritavarma to JayadrathEdited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Connect Kritavarma to Jayadrath

Interesting. Let me see

Kritavarma- Krishna (Samdhan )- 3pts

Krishna- Arjuna (Cousins) - 3pts

Arjuna- Dushala (Cousins) - 3pts

Dushala- Jayadrath (Husband -wife)- 1pt

So a total of 10 pts. 

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Let  me see if I can improve upon my  previous answer

Kritavarma - Krishna (Samandhi) -3pts

Krishna - Subhadra (sister) - 1 pt

Subhadra - Arjuna (husband) - 1pt

Ajuna - Dushala (cousins) - 3pts

Dushala - Jaydhrath - (Husband -wife) - 1pt

So, 9 pts...

Any better,  Vrish?
I'll give it to you, since no one else has answered.  But there are @ least 2 paths w/ fewer points.  Maybe I could have hinted - go the Kaurava route instead of the Pandavas.

Kritavarma - Charumati - 2 pts (bahu)
Charumati - Samba - 2 pts (half-sibling)
Samba - Lakshmanaa - 1 pt (spouse)
Lakshmanaa - Duhshala - 2 pts (bua)
Duhshala - Jayadrath - 1 pt (spouse)

Total - 8 pts

Another route:

Kritavarma - Charumati - 2 pts (bahu)
Charumati - Samba - 2 pts (half-sibling)
Samba - Duryodhan - 2 pts (damaat/sasur)
Duryodhan - Jayadrath - 2 pts (shala/jija)

Yet another route - Kritavarma to Krishna, & Krishna to Duryodhan - both samdhis - and then Duryodhan to Jayadrath - will still give you 8 pts.

Anyway, next question is yours, Varaali!
Not able to think of anything...Field open to anyone ...