Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Yes. That was the only answer left.😊 However, any other answer also could have been true with a different logic. But Vrikodar was precisely my answer with precisely same logic.

Krishna, Vijaya and Arjun are 3 out of 10 names of Arjun which he narrates to Uttara in Virat Parva.

Here is the abstract from Virat Parva (KMG):

"Arjuna said, 'I will, O son of Virata, tell thee my ten names. Listen thou and compare them with what thou hadst heard before. Listen to them with close attention and concentrated mind. They are Arjuna, Falguna, Jishnu, Kiritin, Swetavahana, Vibhatsu, VijayaKrishna, Savyasachin and Dhananjaya." 

Some of the google results show the name PArth in the above 10 names instead of Krishna but the above one is accurate as per KMG and also the same are there in BRC MB.

BhArat (Bhaarat)😊 means Bharatvanshi which was popular name of Arjun even though all Pandavas and Kauravas were BhArat only. It is like Yudhishthir, Bhim and Arjun all were Pritha's sons. All were PArth but only Arjun's name was PArth (Paarth). Krishna and Balram both were VAsudev (Vaasudev) but only Krishna was popularly known by that name. RLBS and Dashrath all were RAghavs (Raaghavs), but RAghav was the name of Ramchandraji only. His surname became his famous name.

BhArat name is very often used for Arjun by Krishna in Geeta. One famous verse is from the title song of BRC MB only (Adhyay 4): Yada yada hi dharmasya glaanir bhavati Bhaarat...

Here is wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arjuna

Other names of Arjuna

1. Parth (scholar student, son of Prutha - other name of Kunti).
  2. Jishnu (the Irrepressible, Unconquerable)
  3. Kiriti (He who wears the Shining Diadem, which was gifted by Indra)
  4. Shvethavahana (one of Shining Steeds: He whose chariot is drawn by white horses)
  5. Bheebhatsu (the Fair Fighter: Terrifying to behold in battle)
  6. Vijaya (the Victorious) also Jaya (Victory)
  7. Phalguna (one born under the auspicious asterism "Uttara Phalguna")
  8. Savyasaachi (The ambidextrous one, capable of working a bow with either hand)
  9. Dhananjaya (winner of Great Wealth)
  10. Gandeevi (the owner of Gandeeva, his bow)
  11. Krishna (the dark-skinned one, named by Pandu out of his admiration of Krishna)
  12. Gudaakesha (conqueror of sleep, given in childhood itself, after he started practising archery skills in the dead of night)
  13. Kaunteya (Son of Kunti)
  14. Parangam (Capable)
  15. Mahabahu (He whose arms are mighty)
  16. Pandava (Son of Pandu)
  17. Permadi/Janaka in his youth (Java, Indonesia)
  18. Bhaarata Scion of an ancient Indian king by the same name (one of righteous birth)

And the meaning of Vrikodar - The one with large tummy - capable of eating huge chunk of food - Bhim's name (particularly we can relate it to Ekchakra nagari parakram).

Your turn next Vrish.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
 I don't think we have thanked Vrish and Shivang for having come up with this exciting game. πŸ‘

Just think- if conjuring questions itself it so hard, how difficult it would have been to  compile this game in the first place . I know a lot of brain storming took place b/w these two - in terms of fine tuning the rules and scoring system . 

So Vrish and Shivang, three cheers ...πŸ‘πŸΌ  πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ‘πŸΌ  

DharmaPriyaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: varaali

@  Urmila11- Arjun's name during Agyatvaas was Brihannala. 

Varaali didi,

Yes I know that Arjun's name was Vrihannala at aggyatavaas, but there were another five names which were unknown to King Virat, & Yudhisthir fixed those names before entering into Virat kingdom. Those names were, Jaya, Jayanta, Vijaya, Jayasen & Jayadval, respectively of five Pandavas. Those names were known only to Pandavas & Draupadi, & they took another set of names for living in Virat nagar.When Upakichakas attacked Draupadi, she used those names to inform her husbands about her danger, so that King Virat could not recognize his workers as Draupadi's husbands.

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Urmila11,

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info. 
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: varaali

I don't think we have thanked Vrish and Shivang for having come up with this exciting game. πŸ‘

Just think- if conjuring questions itself it so hard, how difficult it would have been to  compile this game in the first place . I know a lot of brain storming took place b/w these two - in terms of fine tuning the rules and scoring system . 

So Vrish and Shivang, three cheers ...πŸ‘πŸΌ  πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ‘πŸΌ  

Yes!!! 😊  Coincidentally, I was also thinking about the same yesterday!!! πŸ˜ƒ  They have put so much effort to note down all those Detailed Rules in the first post!! πŸ‘ πŸ‘   Great work by both Vrish and Shivang πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ‘πŸΌ  All the games are really Interesting and participating or even reading them will help us to Enrich our Knowledge!!! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️  Agree with you that the real difficult part is to set the qs πŸ˜ƒ  
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Thanks a lot Varaali and Debipriya. Vrish was the mastermind in bringing this combo thread. I think any single game thread wouldn't have been as successful as this one and making them composite with such title given to it was entirely his idea. I did play a supportive role for him in fine tuning the rules and created headache questions every now & thenπŸ˜† to refine and stabilize them but otherwise the credit of bringing the game itself to us goes to him only and to Lola for giving us the green signal with total freedom of anything we do.

And I hope you guys were not thinking of kicking me after looking at the answer Vrikodar.πŸ˜†

And Sema. Your explanation incidentally solves my doubt from BRC MB that why nobody doubts about 5 servants to be Pandavas when Sairandhri says to Keechak that she has 5 Gandharva husbands (I mean how many could have 5 husbands? Such co-incidence was sufficient enough to raise doubts in people's mind about their true identities). So those 5 names were not actually the Agyatvas names of Pandavas but Agyatvas names of 5 husbands of Sairandhri. Is my interpretation correct? 

P.S.

Still the doubt remains. With these other 5 names, people won't doubt Kank, Ballav, Brihannala, Arishtnemi & Grantak to be Pandavas. But they could still doubt Sairandhri to be Draupadi and her husbands to be Pandavas. And even further co-incidence. Sairandhri introduced herself to be ex-servant of Draupadi only (as per BRC). So master-servant both having 5 husbands. That's very strange co-incidence!!! And what is the interpretation of word Gandharva here? Is it just indicative of Gandharva vivah with humans or vivah with Gandharvas? How a Gandharva or Gandharva patni can be daas or daasi of human king? Or it is just like Gandharva in human sense. It has to be. Gandharva probably here means stage artists or circus artists. Karvaan or kabilaa of tribal people performing athletic arts (People who caught Duryodhan) interpreting by visualizing BRC get up portrayal.
DharmaPriyaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I am feeling honored that even my little knowledge solved a doubt of you, Shivang bhaiya! 😊 It's really my pleasure 😊. Yes we can say so, that Pandavas fixed those 5 names & kept them secret from Virat Raj only in order to protect Draupadi, or in other words, for safty of Draupadi, who had to present herself as 5 gandharva's wife. & it was for Pandava's security that nobody in Virat nagar could recognize them as Draupadi's husbands, so in order to keep both sides they had to take another set of names which were preserved for future use in crisis.
I think here Gandharvas mean real Gandharvas, & why human woman can not be married with a Gandharva? There was no such restriction in vivah vidhi at lest in Dwapar yug, we can see, in Bheem & Hidimba's marriage. So I think that people considered Sairandhri as a human woman having 5 Gandharva husbands. & if not, they also could think her as a Gandharva woman,  but there were no problem to keep her as servant because kings used to do so, there were apsaras, kinnaris & even serpent women as servants in a royal palace. So why not a gandharvi?
About another part of your question, I'm still confused πŸ˜•. I never think about this side while researching on Virat Parva. Yes, this fact of both master & servant having 5 husbands could confuse people about Sairandhri, as it was very rare & unusual case that a woman of that era having 5 husbands, & people knowing about the fact of Maharani Draupadi could easily guess about Sairandhri's real identity only using this information. So why Draupadi took such a risk by telling about 5 gandharva husbands, it's an interesting topic of further thinking or research. I will try to read many other sources for a satisfying answer😊.

P.S. Vrish, we are interested to see our next challenge πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Š
ShivangBuch thumbnail
😊And I am always honoured whenever my little sister glorifies me like this.πŸ€—

Yes, I am able to catch your point about real Gandharvas serving Humans. But I thought about its human interpretation because some people say that Nagas, Rakshasas, Vanaras etc were not actually totally Nagas or Rakshasas or Vanaras (As they were able to speak human tongue) but they were such castes/communities possessing major characteristics of those creatures. Like humans not following Vedic culture and knowing taantrik maya were known as Rakshasas and so on. That is not my concluded interpretation but the interpretations that I have read at many places. Gandharvas are basically artist community of heaven so humans with similar talent on earth born with Gandharva qualities may have been given that name.

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
10,000!

Originally posted by: Debipriya

Yes!!! πŸ˜Š  Coincidentally, I was also thinking about the same yesterday!!! πŸ˜ƒ They have put so much effort to note down all those Detailed Rules in the first post!! πŸ‘ πŸ‘   Great work by both Vrish and Shivang πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ‘πŸΌ  All the games are really Interesting and participating or even reading them will help us to Enrich our Knowledge!!! β­οΈ β­οΈ β­οΈ  Agree with you that the real difficult part is to set the qs πŸ˜ƒ  

Thanks, Varaali, Debi & Shivang!   πŸ€—

Actually, Shivang's role was no less - while I came up w/ some of the more obvious relationships, Shivang provided a whole bunch of new ones, as well as potential loopholes & pitfalls of certain scoring pts over others.  While I may have come up w/ the basic concept, refining the rules was almost completely his role here.  I don't think the rules would have been even half as refined had it not been for his inputs.  He deserves no less credit here.

Combining everything in the same thread also gives participants the option of picking a simpler game if the C game is so complicated.

I had actually opened up the field, but since no one else has asked, here is the next String the sequence question:

Iravati, Uttara, _____, Kunti, Ambalika
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Thanks a lot Vrish for your kind appreciation and acknowledgement and for giving me so much of credit. But now I think writing any further thanking words would mean either being too much overmodest or glorifying self by giving you yet another opportunity to praise me as response. So I am stopping it over here.😊 Let's move on. I actually thoroughly enjoyed our discussions about refining the rules of the game and your ever readiness to respond to my questions.

Subhadra is my answer. Mother in law of Uttaraa and Daughter in law of Kunti. 

I have a simple question to ask in mind immediately right now but if Varaali can come online today, I would like her to post in my place because I posted once instead of her turn. So I will post in the evening if she doesn't come online by then.

And congrats for 10,000th post.πŸ‘πŸ˜ƒ