Other Topics

**Short Stories by 120shal - Page 3

120shal thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Time-pass at shopping complex

Whenever I get to a crowded mall or food court, One of my favourite pass-time would be watching all those antics of cute little babies whose parents would be too busy to take a look at them.

The other day, I went to City Centre.

City Centre was pretty crowded. All kinds of people were there – Asians, Africans, South Americans, people from Middle East itself and lot more.

A mom was with her hyperactive boy at the clerk's desk. The boy was about to outgrow his cart. His mom may decide to dump his cart any day. He rolled his cart around. He then kicked it towards his mom. The mom threatened him not to disturb her. She asked him to sit with her. But, he had other ideas. He took a walk around the hall. A serious looking girl was with her parents, who were waiting in the queue. She was visibly in a bad mood. The hyperactive boy went to the serious girl. She was unperturbed. He stood in front of her and smiled at her. She looked at him as though she was looking at a cockroach. When he went near her, she glared at him. May be, she had had a bad day. May be she was feeling sleepy. Or may be, she was fed up with stupid kids hitting on her. Whatever it was, the glare was enough to drive the hyperactive boy away from her.

The hyperactive boy then roamed around. He saw a cute girl walking with her dad. She was cuter than the Barbie doll she carried. The hyperactive boy followed her. She didn't even turn towards him. She was busy chatting with her dad. Her dad would have realized how tough it is being the dad of a cute girl. He would have had a sample of the exasperation that he is very likely to go through in the years to come. The cute girl continued to ignore the boy. After some time, the hyperactive boy went back to his mom. He has a bright scope of growing into a big time Casanova.

And then, there was an annoying kid who was troubling an unfortunate guy endless. The unfortunate guy was trying to fill in an application form. The annoying kid kept picking at the unfortunate guy's bag, books, pen, etc. The unfortunate guy looked at the annoying kid's parents for help. They were into an animated conversation, unaware of the world around them. The unfortunate guy then packed his things and moved to a far away place. The annoying kid went in search of another unfortunate person.

The other day I saw these noisy Japanese (I think so, all o' them look alike) identical twins at Mega Mall. The noisy girls ran around shrieking at each other. They found a confused boy. They stood on either side of the confused boy and continued shrieking in Japanese (or, was it Chinese or Korean or Philippine or some other language?). The confused boy became more confused and he kept blinking at the noisy twins. He looked as though he would burst into tears any moment. Luckily, his parents saved him and took him away from the noisy girls. The noisy girls ran away. But, I was able to hear them shrieking till I left Mega Mall.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

120shal thumbnail

The Ticket Checkers and the "withouts"

I recently went in the new buses introduced in Sharjah. I'm always… kinda, unhappy to see there are no ticket checkers in buses over here. They literally don't exist. I like buses with ticket checkers. It reminds me of the times I traveled in buses during my stays at Kerela.

Ticket checkers do not exist for the bus services in Kerela. There, the local bus transportation is privatized (Isn't that cool!?). The bus conductors walk around the bus all the time and make sure that all the passengers buy their tickets. They are not like their counterparts in Madras & Bangalore and Delhi and similar metropolitan cities, where they prefer to stay stuck to their seats.

The buses used to be heavily crowded in the mornings and evenings. Unluckily, those were the only times I traveled. I used to literally stand on others' feet with some others standing on my feet. The private buses do not believe in bus stops. The drivers would stop the bus if they see anybody raising his/her arm. Their aim was to squeeze more passengers into the bus, which meant more income.

My cousin, with whom I often traveled with strongly believed that it is an insult to buy tickets in buses. His theory was simple – get into a crowded bus, never try to run away from the conductor or avoid eye contact with him, play it cool, help fellow passengers to pass money and tickets to and from the conductor. I have never seen him buying his own ticket during those three long years. I was not that adventurous and I religiously spent all my travel allowances on tickets.

Also, during my visit to Bangalore, I have witnessed the ticket checkers nabbing the so called 'without' passengers. It is one of the most hilarious sights you could ever see on earth. The checker gets into the bus. The 'without' dude pretends to be casual, mostly too casual. Checker asks for the ticket. Dude checks his pockets, purse, bag, around the seat, on the seat, below the seat. Checker throws the I-have-seen-this-before look and stops the dude from proceeding to search the whole bus. Checker gets off the bus with the dude. What happens next depends on the Checker's mood at that point of time and the dude's ability to make the checker believe how impressive a family tree he belongs to.

This is something that a cousin of mine who went to see a friend of his in Madras narrated. It was his first journey in a local train in Madras. He decided to take a local train till Tambaram from where he would take a bus to Pondicherry. He promptly got a ticket. The train arrived and he got into it. He was marveling at his luck that he got into a less crowded compartment, while people were squeezing into other compartments. Well, there are very few luxuries in the world better than traveling in sparsely crowded trains or buses. There was this cute girl sitting in front of him. He got himself busy with his favorite pastime – babe watching. Suddenly she became visibly nervous. She got up and walked away frantically. The poor guy was embarrassed. He thought that his stare, which he considered inoffensive, offended the girl. In a minute or two, a guy stopped by him and demanded his ticket. The Ticket Checker. He showed him his ticket.

TC (looking at the ticket): "Alright, pay Rs. 500"
Cousin (shocked): "But, why? I have the ticket"
TC: "That is the ticket for general compartment. You are now in first class compartment"
Cousin: "Are there two different classes in the train? I didn't know that. You know, this is my first train trip in Madras…"
TC: "Well, that doesn't mean that you can get away from being fined"
Cousin (annoyed): "I don't see anywhere in this compartment saying that this is first class. How am I supposed to know?"
TC (slightly amused): "It is amazing. Every person I have seen in you situation says the same thing. How is it possible?"

Now, my cousin was almost sure that the girl fled away on seeing the Ticket Checker. He wondered if the girl too had ticket for general compartment or if she was 'without'. He paid the fine amount, which left him with not enough money to buy a bus ticket for Tambaram to Pondicherry. By then, he had got pretty acquainted with the Ticket Checker. The TC gave him the directions to the nearest ICICI ATM from Tambaram station. The friend withdrew the money from ATM to pay for his journey to Pondicherry.

This happened last week. I was travelling in the bus of dubai, where they have Ticket Checkers who come in at random. There were these five 12 – 15 year old guys in the tram. They were all possessed bySmokin' Joe and they were smoking inside the tram standing right under the 'No Smoking' signboard. They were all trying to blow rings of smoke. One of them even succeeded. At a stop a bunch of Ticket Checkers boarded the tram. The kids were stunned for a moment. They were all 'withouts'!!! The couple of guys farthest from the door sneaked away swiftly. But, the Ticket Checkers operate in a rather efficient way. They come in bunches and board the trams through all the doors. The kids who sneaked away went straight to the Ticket Checker who got in through the other door. The game ended there. The Ticket Checkers and the kids assembled together, with smiles all around. They even started joking. The kids paid the fine – 100 dhs each.

The way the situation is handled here is a lot different from India. No whining, no tantrum, no drama; things happen pretty smooth.

120shal thumbnail

First Crush

Please.

First of all, my dear friends, All characters, places and incidents in this short story is completely fictional. Any resemblence to any piece of characters and incidences are to be considered purely coincidential.

It's a small short story, that's written more like a diary entry.

So, Here we go..

The first crush' 

Those of you who are sniggering at the thought of me even having a crush; take heart. This is another of my attempt at being a raconteur. Though, I made all you readers wade through a lot of verbiage during my last attempt, I'll try to keep it simple(r). But that doesn't mean the post is short, is it? This is one will take up a long time as well. So, it is your discretion that must help you to decide when you must return here to go through my story.

I loved boarding school. The school was obviously strict. Why do you think my parents enrolled me into here in the first place? But then, the guys surrounding me made it such a wonderful place. Among them, Rahul is my Best Friend and one of my roommates too. He is one of the reasons why I love this school so much.

Another reason why I loved boarding school was the numerous inter-school fests that seemed to keep occuring every week. It was during one of those seemingly innocuous programme did I first see her. Being holed up at boarding schools all my life, rating females or even 'picking' the right ones to ogle at seemed Rahul's innate talent, while I would look on lamely. But this time around, I knew she was someone special. I seemed to spot her wherever she went, or rather the other way around. She is present wherever I go. We even locked eyes. I could not wait to tell this to Rahul. Even before I could point out to him, he came to me with a smirk. He has that smirk when he is thinking something else and speaking some other rubbish simultaneously. Thus, he has always been a poor liar to me. Something else seems to have come up because his smirk fades as he comes closer to me.

Me : Hey, what happened? Someone proposed to you?
Rahul : Worse. The girl I was eyeing at was looking at you.
Me : Another girl? I was about to say the same. I saw a girl looking at me wherever I go. And you must see her to understand how beautiful she is. She is'
Rahul : Oh, shut up. Ignore her. I'll show you that girl and you will immediately forget the other one.

He took me to where she and her school mates were hanging out. Needless to say, he showed me the same girl about whom I was gushing about. Now, you do not always encounter a time like this. Another guy confirms your feeling without you having to ask him. It gives your ego, a maniacal boost and an adrenaline high that is very difficult to describe. I am brought down to earth sooner than expected, for my reticence emerges from nowhere and I find myself waiting to find her alone. Now, the roles seemingly get reversed and I keep following her unabashedly. Worse part was, she hardly seems to mind my presence. As usual, Rahul comes to my help.

Rahul : Hey, I have found out her school and my cousin studies there. I have asked her to introduce you to that girl. And that girl's name is' Her name is' It is'
Me : Hey, stop being a sadist. Tell me what is her name? Quickly!
Rahul : Alright. Don't get worked up. Her name is Isha.
Me : Wow. How did her parents name her so aptly? I am liking her more and more. I cannot even stop thinking about her. She is'
Rahul : Aw, stuff it!
Me : Did you atleast ask your cousin to speak something good about me to her?
Rahul : I asked you to shut up.

The introductions get over and it seemed a formality. She seemed just as eager to get to know me. I wished I can steer our conversation to asking her out. Preferably when she hints at such an opportunity first.
Me : Why don't we have an ice-cream over there?
Isha : No. I don't like ice-creams.
Me (stunned): What???
Isha (as a matter-of-fact): Yeah. What happened to you? I think you can close your mouth.
Me : Ha ha.. I haven't heard girls hating ice-creams, especially good-looking one like you.

She never seemed to mind such inane conversation and even such blatant flirting, which only kept my sprits soaring.

Me : I'll make you eat atleast one ice-cream some day.
Isha : Really? It is a challenge then. I will eat an ice-cream if you win my challenge.
Me : What? Alright. Spell out. You are going to eat lots of them because of me. So, what's the challenge?
Isha : Tonight, at 12:00 p.m., you have to come to the empty ground beside that girls' boarding school near your dormitory outside your campus.
Me : What? Are you kidding?
Isha : You are backing out so soon?
Me : Hey no. I am not backing out. Could not we have somethingtougher? You know very well, what happens if they find us boys, breaking those rules. Especially, the late night rules. The warden would beat me up and would ensure I get only stale bread for a week. So, how about something else?
Isha : You cannot even attempt that? You would even refuse to ME?

When your feet is not on earth and head is in the clouds, reality gets obscured. Everything seems smaller and more importantly, easier. So, it is no surprise, that I take up the gauntlet thrown at me. Only because I did not want to hurt her. Yours truly, fell hook, line and sinker.

Me : Alright. You are going to eat lots of ice-creams. Mark my words. What must I do when I get there?
Isha : You will know, when you get there' Bye.

With a tantalising smile, she trailed off leaving me starry-eyed. I realised I was falling for this amazing girl so soon. I was wondering if I should propose to her that night. Maybe this was her idea of aswayamvara; accepting proposals only from the brave one who make it at 12:00p.m. I prayed to god, that I would be the one she chooses.

Rahul promised to arrange everything. He promised that no one would miss me at Dinner Hall, nor the night study hall. I don't know how he manages, but everyone knows he keeps his word if he gives his assurance. He insisted that at around 11:30p.m. itself Bhai ' the watchman gets up for his rounds. Bhai is the most feared and vigilant watchman around. Nobody has dared to slight him and those who dared has met with troublesome fates. So, we decided that I get out early, and after 12:00, I try scaling up the wall and wait on the wall till Bhai crosses over to the other end. I still did
not know what I was going to do. So I took up the glossed-transparent sheet we used to cover our notebooks. I cut up a metre or so and stuffed it up inside my pockets.

By 8:00 p.m., I was ready. I scaled up the walls and went off. I knew, the flowers growing on the way to the empty ground. I plucked a few of them and wrapped them around the cover I had in my pockets. I then took out the marker pens to write cheesy lines around them and used a blade of grass to tie them together. Now came the wait. The long wait for midnight. I wished I could have an ice-cream ready to offer her now. But, I could not get any by that time. I waited impatiently for the minutes hand of my watch to tick to 12 each hour. With each passing minute, my excitement multiplied and I could barely hold the makeshift bouquet. For fear of crushing it, I had laid it on the ground and sat down beside it watching my watch with a pounding heart. This wait was killing me.

I knew it was going to be a long wait. But nothing like this. I said so because, it was 1:00p.m. and there was no sign of her. It was then I notice it. That window. I had been blinded by my own hopes of an imaginary swayamvara that I had not noticed the single lighted room on the top floor of that girls' dormitory. I notice a sign that has been pasted on the window sill. I cannot read it clearly because it is so faraway and I dared not go closer to it for fear of an ignominy of the highest proportions. But the writing on the wall was as clear as it can be. You do not often find a signpost and your girl missing on your first date, unless your missing girl put it up.

I stamp on the bouquet I had lovingly made with frustration and can hear peals of laughter resounding across the empty grounds. I run away madly towards my dormitory, with my vision blurred by moist eyes. This kind of a snub has never happened to me and I did not know how to react. I reach my dormitory very soon and scale up the wall. But, I forget to look out for Bhai while I am sitting on the wall itself. I jump off without another thought and land upon Bhai himself who was bending down and picking up something only God knows what, and also at this ghostly time.

He also fell down and I glare back at him, lying on my thighs. No one has ever glared back at him like that and I was properly thrashed. His staff seems to be made for that kind of work. I felt angry only at myself for being so gullible. Falling so easily for a girl I barely knew. And this Bhai fellow for exercising such control over boys in this dormitory.

After a sound thrashing and a report to my warden, I troop off to my room only to find Rahul awake. One look at me and he burst out laughing. His laughing woke up the others as well. Needless to say, I became the laughing stock of the whole dormitory for more than a month.

It had been nobody but Rahul's idea to play a prank on me. He insists, he never thought that matters would reach the warden. To hell with his thoughts. I must have suspected him when he came to me with such a smirk. And to think, he has told me umpteen tales of duped boys and girls when he and his notorious cousin team up. I was so smitten by Isha (she was after all Isha, I learnt from his cousin later), that I failed to see the connection when his cousin, of all the people, introduced me to Isha. But, whether it was a reality or a farce, it was my true first crush. And my first crush has been crushed'

And'

You wanted to know what I did to Rahul?

He had to eat MY stale bread for more than a week AND clean up MY bed.

P.S.: I wanted to write, how Rahul managed to cover up my absence in the dining hall and other places with some ideas I had. Then I realised, that would make this post too lengthy, and so decided not to torment the handful of people who comment on my site, any further. I'll have to save those ideas for subsequent posts.

Edited by 120shal - 12 years ago
120shal thumbnail

"You Know?"

"You have to learn all this lessons by the end of this month, you know?"

"You have a program coming up this week, you know?"

"You were absent yesterday, you know?"

"This is a joke, you know?"

Well, I know you're thinking I'm nuts writing all this over here. First of all, let me get this straight : These are not my dialogues. You know I never come up with something so uncreative.

This, my dear friends, is the way our Math Sir, our Class Teacher, Mr. Shamsudheen addresses us.

"You're name is Shahbaz, you know"

"Yes sir, I know", I said excitedly in my first day.

He looked at me, shocked as if I just abused him, his father, his grandfather and his great grandfather.

Soon, I came to know this guy has the habit of suffixing every 95% of his sentence with "You Know?".

One of the weirdest "you knows" happened during our first term exams.

Akhil, a close friend of mine was trying his best to cheat ( He won't agree with me for sure ). And as it is supposed to happen, Shamsudheen came in as the invigilator and he spotted him..

"You there, mind your own paper, you know", he said sternly. Akhil was looking bewildered as ever.

After gazing for some moments at him, Shamsudheen opened up his fazy voice again.

"You're name is Akhil, you know?" he asked inquisitively.

"Yes, sir" he looked way more bewildered.

"You're from ENS, you know"

"Yes, sir"

"I'm your maths teacher you know"

"Yes, sir"

"Mind you own paper"

"Yes, sir"

And rest of us were just gazing at each other, confused, wondering whether to laugh or not.

Due to this problem of his, we keep suffixing our sentences with "you know" whenever he's around.

A scene like this happened in our library. Half of our class were there in the library. We went there during a free period so we can chat ( For all those who do not know: There's a WI-Fi spot in our library and near the reception  ). But unfortunately, Shamsudheen came into check on us and didn't leave. Obviously, we were left jobless and bored. Pratheek was the one who started this game.

"Sagar, This is a book, you know?" he said, with twinkle in his eyes and a very wide smile.

Sagar seems to understand it as well…

"This is a paper, you know?" he said, fighting himself not to laugh out loud.

Then I started.. "This is a pencil, you know?"

Slowly, it started to dawn into every one. And then came every kind of you know lines possible.

"This is a pen, you know?"

"This is a magazine, you know?"

"This is a table, you know?"

"This is a chair, you know?"

"Today is Sunday, you know?"

"This is my uniform, you know?"

"This is pure crap, you know?"

Well, it was a library and we were creating a racket. Suddenly, we heard another voice.

"Keep Quite! This is a library, you know?" said Shamsudheen sir.

The library rang with our laughter.

120shal thumbnail

Place the slip in the box and take a seat

When people design software, it is a golden rule that the software be designed for the stupid user. You will be amazed how often users don't understand the simplest concept or don't see something that is staring them in the face.

Every software vendor carefully idiot-proofs their software, even though the marketing material never mentions it (It won't look too nice on the product box to say, "Idiot-proofed for you").

A recent hospital visit with an uncle of mine reminded me of the importance of idiot-proofing. We went to the doctor with a minor  fever and she promptly ordered enough blood tests to suck half my uncles' blood out. On a side note, I think the only purpose the blood tests serve is to confirm that my uncle was serious about his ailment. If he's not serious, he'd would disappear as soon as he hear the blood tests being mentioned. Anyone would.

Since was uncle was new here and did not know of the procedures, I went to the lab holding a lab slip and waited at the counter while the nurse at the counter took care of everything except me. I gave her the customary cough. When that didn't work, I said, "Excuse me."

She looked irritated at the interruption and grumpily said, "Yes?".

The lab slip I waved in her face failed to elicit any gentler response. She tightened her frown a tad and said, "Place the slip in the box and take a seat."

I did as commanded and waited for my turn to be desiccated. A couple more people entered the room and went through the same routine, viz. wait, cough, interrupt and be sternly told "Place the slip in the box and take a seat."

My engineer brain sprang to action. I thought, "Instead of telling everybody what to do, she could write that on a piece of paper and hang it at the counter."

I looked for a possible spot to hang the note and I was greeted with this sign: "Place the slip in the box and take a seat."

120shal thumbnail

Traffic

( From a foreigner's view on INDIAN TRAFFIC. Not in my view. )

I'm scared to go in a car in India. It's not because I'm basically scared to go in for a drive. It's just that I think there's no traffic rules in India. Dad always crashes his car to some guy or the other everytime we go to India. Its not because he's a bad driver. He's more used to the "careful-about-others-and-themselves" kind of drivers over here, that he can't cope up with the drivers over there who thinks its the others who ought to be careful not get their car crashed.

I don't remember ever seeing a Traffic Rules book in India. That might partly explain the traffic in India. People seem to be making up their own rules as they go. Observing the drivers and pedestrians of Ernakulam City for a day, I wrote down a list of rules, which I think are being followed not just by any one state, but by the entire India (feel free to put in your own ones):

You can drive anywhere on the road. Some people prefer to drive on the left side. Don't pay any attention to the decorative white line in the middle of the road.

When you are completely stuck in a traffic jam and there is no chance to move even an inch, it is mandatory to blare your horn

When you use the head-lights, it is absolutely forbidden to use the low beam

Stopping or slowing down at red lights is appreciated

It is a felony to be caught driving a motorbike without a mobile phone glued to your hand and ear

When you collide with a motorist or pedestrian, it is customary to exchange profanities

Pedestrians and cows and dogs have the right of way

When the gate is closed at a railroad crossing, all vehicles that cannot pass under the gate must stop. If you can bend, crawl or roll yourself and your vehicle under the gate, you can continue without stopping

Turning on the hazard lights (both indicators blinking) means you are going straight and not about to turn (I swear this is true)

When driving through village roads of Tamil Nadu and Slum areas in different parts of India, look straight ahead not sideways. Please respect the privacy of street side defecators.

If the Signal light shows red, and you're the first one on the line, all you have to do is to take initiative to bend the Traffic Light Rule, and others will follow.

120shal thumbnail

100 truths..??

( Common in FB ) Commonly found tags in FB...

Random Tag in facebook… Here it goes…

1. Last beverage =mountain dew
2. Last phone call = Anon..
3. Last text message = Bini..
4. Last song you listened to =  Why This Kolaveri Di...
5. Last time you cried = Today

HAVE YOU EVER:
6. Dated someone twice = Nope
7. Been cheated on = Yup
8. Kissed someone & regretted it = Nope
9. Lost someone special = Nope
10. Been depressed = Ofcourse, I'm a teenager. What do you expect…?
11. Been drunk and threw up = No way..!!

LIST THREE FAVORITE COLORS:
12. BLUE
13. WHITE
14.BLACK

THIS YEAR HAVE YOU: (2009)
15. Made new friends = YES MANY..:D
16. Fallen out of love = nope
17. Laughed until you cried = yessss..lol….
18. Met someone who changed you = yup!!
19. Found out who your true friends were = yesh!!!
20. Found out someone was talking about you = yes i did..
21. Kissed anyone on your friend's list = Yupp
22. How many people on your facebook friends list do you know in real life = 50% of the ppl..
23. How many kids do you want to have = 1 or 2….
24. Do you have any pets= Nope…
25. Do you want to change your name = Naa, it's cool. Besides, Im mostly known under alias…
26. What did you do for your last birthday = Walked around.. ( Oor sutthurathu )
27. What time did you wake up today = 7:30:P
28. What were you doing at midnight last night = Thinking about someone….:P
29. Name something you CANNOT wait for = Meeting someone again…
30. Last time you saw your Mother= 10 seconds ago..
31. What is one thing you wish you could change about your life? = Wish we could've started going out before itself……:(
32. What are you listening to right now = Why This Kolaveri Di...
33. Have you ever talked to a person named Tom = hahaha!! yea…
34. What's getting on your nerves right now = Her parents..
35. Most visited webpage = FB n hotmail n wordpress…
36. Whats your real name = Full Name
37. Nicknames =  Anything that is comfortable...
38. Relationship Status = Eternally bonded 'n the seas…:D
39. Zodiac sign = Pisces!!!:P
40. Male or female or transgendered = M / F
41. Primary school = ...
42. High School = ...
43. College = ...
44. Hair colour = black….( Some say brownish though, I Love it to be known as Jet Black):P
45. Long or short = Short..
46: Height = 5'4
47: Do you have a crush on someone? = Yeah, My girlfriend or or boyfriend ….:P haha…
48: What do you like about yourself? = hmm… I dunno, the attitude probably….!!!!! or maybe the clown like air i could carry around with me!!! (the only gud thing abt me)
49. Piercings = No Way!! I'm scared of it..:D
50. Tattoos = Did you mean those little ones you used to get with Big Babool..??
51. Righty or lefty = righty….

FIRSTS :
52. First surgery = 
53. First piercing = When born ( baby )
54. First best friend = … mmm…. my old classmate, 
55. First vacation= haha, 
56. First crush = lol… ummm ….
59. Eating = junk food and desserts
60. Drinking = mountain dew….
61. I'm about to = umm… stop writing all this….
62. Listening to = AR Rahman from his album ...
63. Waiting for = talking with her again……:D
64. Want kids? = ahaann…fcourse…:D
65. Get married? =..yeah…sure..!!
66. Careers in mind?= Film, Music, Arts ……:P:P:D ( ENGINEERING )

WHICH IS BETTER :
67. Lips or eyes = eyes
68. Hugs or kisses = hugs….:):):)
69. Shorter or taller= Shorter ofcourrsee..:D
71. Romantic or spontaneous = both..
72. Nice stomach or nice arms = has to b arms..
73. Sensitive or loud = loud
74. Hook-up or relationship = relationship…..
75. Trouble maker or hesitant = trouble maker….

HAVE YOU EVER :
76. Kissed a stranger = NO…..
77. Drank hard liquor = nope!!
78. Lost glasses/contacts = Nope
79. Sex on first date = Haven't had sex anyway…
80. Broken someone's heart = Yes…
81. Had your own heart broken??= yes…
82. Been arrested = Yes, by my Dad…:D:P
83. Turned someone down = yup!!!!
84. Cried when someone died = yes ..
85. Liked a friend that is a girl? = yes….

DO YOU BELIEVE IN:
86. Yourself =YES
87. Miracles =yes and no………
88. Love at first sight = Nope.. but i do when I listen to Guzarish.. dunno why…:D
89. Heaven =i'm not sure…………..
90. Santa Clause = naaa
91. Kiss on the first date = Nope…
92. Angels = YES…

ANSWER TRUTHFULLY:
93. Is there one person you want to be with right now? = ...
94. Had more than one boyfriend/girlfriend at one time? = No….
95. Did you sing today? = Ha ha, yea …:D
97. If you could go back in time, how far would you go? = hmm… 
98. If you could pick a day from last year and relive it, what would it be?= ummm… too many……… …:D
99. Are you afraid of falling in love? = ...
100. Posting this as 100 truths? = Guess so…:D

Is it matching to you?

120shal thumbnail

The Weekend in the Kitchen

The weekend was pretty fine. It was one of the rare weekends when I didn't bother to sit at home.

So, I decided I'll head off to Shaaz's crib, and spent some time there. I took a taxi and it cost me 16 dhs to get to University City. When I reached there, I was happy to know his parents and brothers were leaving to somewhere off and we were to be left alone.

Yippee…!!! We can mess around as much as we want and nobody would know. That's what I like the most about Shaaz's place. As long as we keep it to ourselves, nobody is gonna know what we were upto. But this time, we had no intention to hook up cam girls, or make some ultra new prank, or continue with Wake-Up Call Novel or trying random numbers and pranking them. Instead, we decided to cook.

We spent the Saturday in cooking a lot of stuffs and intending to eat them all. We had invited some of  Shaaz's friends. They offered us help in cooking. But when they reached there, they said that they could not cook even to save their own life. So, they had offered us the service of chopping vegetables.

By the time we finished cooking, Shaaz's Uncle and his family dropped in. Rather reluctantly, we offered them the food. When they finished, his Uncle insisted that he had to do something. He proclaimed that he is an ace dish-washer and went on to wash the utensils used for cooking. He did it so well that we even thought of getting every utensil in our house washed by him. We changed our minds when he broke a glass. He offered to super-glue the glass pieces back to place. Super-glue the glass? What if the glass breaks again while we drink something out of it?? What if we end up swallowing the glass pieces??? We dropped the super-glue idea at that rather scary thought.

We got wonderful feedback about the food. His aunt even asked for the recipe of our chicken-curry. She predicted that if we reveal our cooking prowess when we get married, our wives may make us cook meals for the rest of our lives. Though flattered, we were equally frightened.

When Shaaz's parents came, his uncle didn't waste anytime in telling what happened. But his dad didn't seem to be bothered. But he did tell us to make dinner for them.

Me and Shaaz finally decided to make some Sausages. I was tempted to sing while cooking. I abandoned that thought for the sake of all people's well being. The Sausages came out superb too. Sausages, potato chips and apple juice – they made a heavenly dinner.

120shal thumbnail

The Ant And The Grasshopper

Guys, Haven't you heard the story of the Ant and Grasshopper..?? You know the classic English fable…?

Why am I mentioning about fables in my blog?
Well, I just found this article every apt to the condition of India where pleasing the masses is key to win political seats. India, just like most politically 'infested' nations has been a nation where mediocrity is encouraged and reservations are the prime 'developmental' measures. This story just defines it too well for me, so i thought it deserves a space here.

But first, you gotta know the story, or atleast, the summary of the story. Here it is:

OLD VERSION
The Ant works hard in the withering heat all summer building its house and laying up supplies for the winter.
The Grasshopper thinks the Ant is a fool and laughs & dances & plays the summer awayCome winter, the Ant is warm and well fed. The Grasshopper has no food or shelter so he dies out in the cold.

Now let's check out the Indian version…

THE INDIAN VERSION
The Ant works hard in the withering heat all summer building its house and laying up supplies for the winter. The Grasshopper thinks the Ant 's a fool and laughs & dances & plays the summer away.
Come winter, the shivering Grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the Ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.
NDTV, BBC, CNN show up to provide pictures of the shivering Grasshopper next to a video of the Ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.
The World is stunned by the sharp contrast. How can this be that this poor Grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?
Arundhati Roy stages a demonstration in front of the Ant ' s house .
Medha Patkar and Tan Shyamoli goes on a fast along with other Grasshoppers demanding that Grasshoppers be relocated to warmer climates during winter.
Amnesty International and Koffi Annan criticizes the Indian Government for not upholding the fundamental rights of the Grasshopper.
The Internet is flooded with online petitions seeking support to the Grasshopper (many promising Heaven and Everlasting Peace for prompt support as against the wrath of God for non-compliance) .
Opposition MPs stage a walkout.
Left parties call for "Bharat Bandh" in West Bengal and Kerala demanding a Judicial Enquiry. CPM in Kerala immediately passes a law preventing Ants from working hard in the heat so as to bring about equality of poverty among Ants and Grasshoppers.
Lalu Prasad allocates one free coach to Grasshoppers on all Indian Railway Trains, aptly named as the 'Grasshopper Rath'.
Finally, the Judicial Committee drafts the ' Prevention of Terrorism Against Grasshoppers Act ' [POTAGA], with effect from the beginning of the winter.Arjun Singh makes 'Special Reservation' for Grasshoppers in Educational Institutions & in Government Services.
The Ant; fined for failing to comply with POTAGA and having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes; its home is confiscated by the Government and handed over to the Grasshopper in a ceremony covered by NDTV.
Arundhati Roy calls it ' A Triumph of Justice ' . Lalu calls it 'Socialistic Justice' . CPM calls it the 'Revolutionary Resurgence of the Downtrodden'.
Koffi Annan invites the Grasshopper to address the UN General Assembly.

Many years later……
The Ant has since migrated to the US and set up a multi-billion dollar company in Silicon Valley .100s of Grasshoppers still die of starvation despite reservation somewhere in India …. because of losing lot of hard working Ants and feeding the Grasshoppers, India is still a developing country!!!

brilliant ain't it?

120shal thumbnail

Speed Tears

10 A.M.

I hop into my school reception area with this wide moronic grin plastered across my face. People wonder why I'm smiling at the beginning of the day with no apparent reason. The confused Marathi receptionist at my school has already named me 'atrangi', meaning 'weirdo' in marathi.

What these people miss to notice, is the fast fading streak of tears from my eyes, that make a moist line towards my temple. No, they aren't the sad, cranky, wistful tears. I haven't been crying.

They are what I have come to call SPEED TEARS.

9.30 A.M

I'm late. I'm droopy. And I'm naked in the bathroom screaming for a towel.
I have half an hour. Half an hour to dress up, have my breakfast, put on my shoes and reach my school at 10that's a 35 minute taxi ride from home.

9.45 A.M.

I'm almost done. Ready to get off to school. The milk is still trickling down the edge of my lips when I wipe it off and reach for my cycle-keys. Well, You can't expect me to reach there on time in a taxi where even catching one is unsure.
I waddle down to the ground floor. I put on my bag. I turn the keys, unlock it, and pedals it with all my might.
My bike's got to save the day again!

9.52 A.M

I crawl out of the traffic ridden in roads and reach the circle. The signal guards the highway lies straight ahead. I see dozens of cars and even my school buses on the way to drop those miserable kids. I inch my way through, to the fore of the traffic that's rearing to go.
The cross lane halts. I "rev" my "engine".

RED. RED. RED. GREEN!

flash!!!!
I'm off. Streaking way ahead of the rest. I know I seem like someone who's NOT spontaneous but trust me, when I'm in hurry and I'm gonna a cycle, I'd be one of the fastest things you see on road. Almost on a single wheel when I break off. The machine cuts a neat lead at 70 kmph. The wind brushes past me, brushing off the enormous amount of sweat into air.

The Open Road.

This is where it begins. A stupid smile makes its way across my face as i see the that englishman's jeep taking its turn slowly from the road. I pedal with all my might and manage to catch hold of the frame on the back.
"Late again, Mallu?", he called back.
"Yeah, mind going a bit more faster dude?" I called up to him while the air rushed to my face. I could see his speedometer from where I was. 40 km hour. And soon it rose up to…..

80 kmph.

The wind tears harder and harder across me as The Jeep continues to accelerate. I'm deaf to the world. The only sounds i can hear is the wind that kisses my ears. And The Jeeps engine that keeps on getting louder. 90 kmph. The rate of acceleration is reaching a plane. My hand goes off from the handle bar for a second to wipe my eyes. Then i narrow my eyes and speed ahead, i hear the engine revs to its limits.

95 Kmph.

The wind is forcing a steady stream through my eyes. I can feel the cold caress of the tears that are streaking from my eyes.No these aren't the tears that are caused by dust particles flying into your eyes. Or by smoke. Or pain. These aren't the tears that hurt. These are not those.

In a way it's strange how speeding down an open road changes those very
tears that generally burn your eyes when your heart bleeds, into something that
make your heart beat faster than ever. How the very same tears that burn down
your face when you weep give you a sense of calm as they caress your skin. How
the very same tears that hurt so bad, feel like nirvana on a speeding road.

100 kmph.

Adrenaline is high. My mind is racing. The silence is a roar. the world is a moist blur.
and my smile is complete!

The Signal Again

As the road comes to another signal I shouted out to Mr. Nice to try his best to catch the light.

Green

It's only a matter of time now, If I do not manage to catch this, It'll make me damn late to the school.

Y-E-L-L-O-W…

I could see it as if in slow motion. It's about to tick to Red. And I know Mr.Nice would never do anything against the rule. If it's red he'll stop his Jeep and wait till it's time to go.

Red

And I knew he's gonna stop. And that too he'll have to stop it when it's only 5 m away from the signal. I saw cars in the left side and right side accelarating slowly, but I already made my decision… My face was shining with zeal and determination. Incredibly and unbelievingly, Nice DID it!… and … THERE… I let go of the Jeep with full speed without applying my own brakes, right into the trap of cars. Yes, It was a really risky move. The thought occured only after I let go.(gulp). What If i get hit..? What if I die..??

But somehow incredibly, my little weak cycle didn't hit any vehicle at all! I know it sounds Insane but that's the truth! Well, truth can be insane sometimes.

Then I see the school on the left and I pull my breaks and comes into the stop. My day is set already.

10 A.M.

I hop into my school reception area with this wide moronic grin plastered across my face. People wonder why I'm smiling at the beginning of the day with no apparent reason. The confused Marathi receptionist at my school has already named me 'atrangi', meaning 'weirdo' in marathi. What these people miss to notice, is the fast fading streak of tears from my eyes, that make a moist line towards my temple. No, they aren't the sad, cranky, wistful tears. I haven't been crying.

They are what I have come to call SPEED TEARS.