Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

120shal thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

The Tree

"Do you want to stay there for the whole day? Come down soon!" Ramu kaka was continuously calling me. Standing under the shed of Shambhu, he was looking frustrated. Shambhu and I were childhood friends. We were grown together. For saying, he was some years elder to me but this age difference was never an issue between us. 

Ten years back when we came in this colony as residents, nobody was here of my age. Maximum kids were either studying in high schools or belonged to high-class families for whom friendship with a medium class boy was a matter sacrificing their prestige. Mostly, I used to keep standing in my Lawn, watching passing traffic on the road. Initially I never noticed him but one day when a goat entered in to our Lawn and tried to eat Shambhu, I saved his life and from that day, He became my responsibility. 

I was not alone anymore; I had found a close friend in the form of Shambhu. Every day I used to sit with him for hours. Ramu Kaka and I build a stone fencing around him to save him from the goats, now we were confident about the security of my friend. When MasterJi had been taking class in the school, I was always waiting for the bell to ring so I could get a leave from there to meet Shambhu. How he was named Shambhu, is also an interesting story. I always used to ask my mother, who named me Vinay and she always replied, the holy sage. At that time, I was having a general perception that whoever wears a saffron cloth, is a sage. 

One day, a beggar cam to our door, He was wearing a saffron scarf circling his neck. My eyes were full of hopes and When, I told him my wish, He agreed to give a name to my friend in exchange of an old aluminum pot. However, I got a good scolding from my father to give him that pot without permission but it was a good deal because my friend had a name now, Shambhu. 

Time kept on passing with its pace, Sometimes I used to pour my glass of milk in to his roots. This solved two purposes for us, one - he was older to me and he required more strength, second I too was saved from drinking milk and there was no guilt feel for wasting it. Now he was much taller than I was. I used to sit on his arms under his leaves and keep on telling my stories to him for hours. Today MasterJi taught this, RamuKaka cooked this food, Babuji went very late to office and blah blah. He used to hear all my talks with full endurance and sometimes used to acknowledge me by waving his branches.

Ma, Babuji never stopped me from passing time with him and he lived up to our friendship. He repaid, the milk shared in childhood, in the form of many Mangoes. However finally the time came when we have to get parted .My father was transferred in to a different city and we were suppose to leave that place, I tried to resist and asked to leave me there but no body was interested in demands of a twelve year old boy. That day it was drizzling in the morning, our whole stuff was loaded in to a Truck and sitting at the rear seat of the Taxi, I was continually watching him with my wet eyes.

Slowly-slowly, time wiped of my memories and I got busy in my life, Study, Marriage, Kids all was passed like a gust of wind. I was doing very well with my real Estate business. In addition, we started buying lands in many areas for our massive constructions. Every one was willing to join us. Daily Many people use to come to us with the maps of the land to sell. We were having a straight rule that the seller has to clean the place before talking to us. We used to buy clean lands only, so we could be saved from the headache of getting that plain to construct our buildings. That day too someone came to meet me with a map; it was a normal scene in our office. 

My eyes were widened when he told me that he had come from my childhood city that he told me about the plot. Its located just opposite to the old mosque and there were only two things which he has already vacated, an old house and an old mango tree. 

120shal thumbnail

Tasting Life

Before the young man began his studies, he wanted assurance from the Master.

"Can you teach me the goal of human life?"

"I cannot," replied the Master.

"Or at least its meaning?"

"I cannot."

"Can you indicate to me the nature of death and of life beyond the grave?"

"I cannot."

The young man walked away in contempt. The followers were shocked that their Master had been shown up in a poor light.

Said the Master soothingly, "I cannot answer his questions because Life will tell him the answers. We cannot learn everything from others. Something are there which can be learn only through ourselves"

Related Quote:
"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you will not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer." 

120shal thumbnail

Thanks for Your Time

It had been some time since Jack had seen the old man. College, girls, career, and life is going in that way. In fact, Jack moved clear across the country in pursuit of his dreams. There, in the rush of his busy life, Jack had little time to think about the past and finds no time to spend with his wife and son. He was working on his future, and nothing could stop him.

Over the phone, his mother told him, "Mr. Belser died last night. The funeral is Wednesday."

Memories flashed through his mind like an old newsreel as he sat quietly remembering his childhood days.

"Jack, did you hear me?"

"Oh sorry, Mom. Yes, I heard you. It's been so long since I thought of him. I'm sorry, but I honestly thought he died years ago," Jack said.

"Well, he didn't forget you. Every time I saw him he'd ask how you were doing. He'd recall the past about the many days you spent over his side of the fence as he put it," Mom told him.

"I loved that old house he lived in," Jack said.

"You know, Jack, after your father died, Mr. Belser was the only moral support for me" she said.

"He's the one who taught me carpentry," he said. "I wouldn't be in this business if he had not teach me. He spent a lot of time teaching many important things about carpentry. Mom, I'll be there for the funeral," Jack said.

As busy as he was, he kept his word. Jack caught the next flight to his hometown. Mr. Belser's funeral was small and uneventful. He had no children of his own, and most of his relatives had passed away.

The night before he had to return home, Jack and his Mom stopped by to see the old house next door one more time.

Standing in the doorway, Jack paused for a moment. It was like crossing over into another dimension, a leap through space and time.

The house was exactly as he remembered. Every step held memories. Every picture, every piece of furniture... Jack stopped suddenly.

"What's wrong, Jack?" his Mom asked.

"The box is gone," he said.

"What box?" Mom asked.

"There was a small gold box that he kept locked on top of his desk. I must have asked him a thousand times what was inside. All he'd ever tell me was 'the thing I value most,'" Jack said.

It was gone. Everything about the house was exactly how Jack remembered it, except for the box. He figured someone from the Belser family had taken it.

"Now I'll never know what was so valuable to him," Jack said. "I better get some sleep. I have an early flight home, Mom."

It had been about two weeks since Mr. Belser died. Returning home from work one day Jack discovered a note in his mailbox. "Signature required on a package. Your Home was locked. Please stop by the main post office within the next three days," the note read.

Early the next day Jack retrieved the package. The small box was old and looked like it had been mailed a hundred years ago. The handwriting was difficult to read, but the return address caught his attention.

"Mr. Harold Belser" it read.

Jack took the box out to his car and ripped open the package. There inside was the gold box and an envelope. Jack's hands shook as he read the note inside.

"Upon my death, please forward this box and its contents to Jack Bennett. It's the thing I valued most in my life." A small key was taped to the letter. His heart racing, as tears filling his eyes, Jack carefully unlocked the box. There inside, he found a beautiful gold pocket watch.

Running his fingers slowly over the finely etched casing, he unlatched the cover. Inside he found these words engraved:

"Jack, Thanks for your time! -Harold Belser."

"The thing he valued most was my time."

Jack held the watch for a few minutes, then called his office and cleared his appointments for the next two days. "Why?" Janet, his assistant asked.

"I need some time to spend with my son," he said. "Oh, by the way, Janet! thanks for your time!"

120shal thumbnail

The Pearl Necklace

The cheerful girl with bouncy golden curls was almost five. Waiting with her mother at the checkout stand, she saw them: a circle of glistening white pearls in a pink foil box.

"Oh please, Mommy. Can I have them? Please, Mommy, please!"

Quickly the mother checked the back of the little foil box and then looked back into the pleading blue eyes of her little girl's upturned face.

"A dollar ninety-five. That's almost $2.00. If you really want them, I'll think of some extra chores for you and in no time you can save enough money to buy them for yourself. Your birthday's only a week away and you might get another crisp dollar bill from Grandma."

As soon as Jenny got home, she emptied her penny bank and counted out 17 pennies. After dinner, she did more than her share of chores and she went to the neighbor and asked Mrs. McJames if she could pick dandelions for ten cents.

On her birthday, Grandma did give her another new dollar bill and at last she had enough money to buy the necklace.

Jenny loved her pearls. They made her feel dressed up and grown up. She wore them everywhere--Sunday school, kindergarten, even to bed. The only time she took them off was when she went swimming or had a bubble bath. Mother said if they got wet, they might turn her neck green.

Jenny had a very loving daddy and every night when she was ready for bed, he would stop whatever he was doing and come upstairs to read her a story. One night when he finished the story, he asked Jenny, "Do you love me?"

"Oh yes, Daddy. You know that I love you."

"Then give me your pearls."

"Oh, Daddy, not my pearls. But you can have Princess--the white horse from my collection. The one with the pink tail. Remember, Daddy? The one you gave me. She's my favorite."

"That's okay, Honey. Daddy loves you. Good night." And he brushed her cheek with a kiss.

About a week later, after the story time, Jenny's daddy asked again, "Do you love me?"

"Daddy, you know I love you."

"Then give me your pearls."

"Oh Daddy, not my pearls. But you can have my babydoll. The brand new one I got for my birthday. She is so beautiful and you can have the yellow blanket that matches her sleeper."

"That's okay. Sleep well. God bless you, little one. Daddy loves you." And as always, he brushed her cheek with a gentle kiss.

A few nights later when her daddy came in, Jenny was sitting on her bed with her legs crossed Indian-style. As he came close, he noticed her chin was trembling and one silent tear rolled down her cheek.

"What is it, Jenny? What's the matter?"

Jenny didn't say anything but lifted her little hand up to her daddy. And when she opened it, there was her little pearl necklace. With a little quiver, she finally said, "Here, Daddy. It's for you."

With tears gathering in his own eyes, Jenny's kind daddy reached out with one hand to take the dime-store necklace, and with the other hand he reached into his pocket and pulled out a blue velvet case with a strand of genuine pearls and gave them to Jenny.

He had them all the time. He was just waiting for her to give up the dime-store stuff so he could give her genuine treasure.

120shal thumbnail

The Teddy

A man told this story to his friend:

After a car accident put me into the hospital, I felt very angry about a lot of the way my life was turning out. The doctors repaired the major damage done to my body. And after all, the car was just that, a car. But I was laying there feeling pretty sorry for myself. I didn't care to see anyone or talk to anyone.

I had been there about a week, the nurses had been good about leaving my door closed. But one bright morning I was awakened by sounds of people out in the hallway.

Since I was still feeling sorry for myself, I didn't wake up in a pleasant mood. As I pushed the button to call the nurse, I saw a little boy in the hallway. A cast completely covered his arm, from fingers to shoulder. His face was covered with a smile. In his other hand he was holding a teddy bear.

I heard his mother telling him to sit and wait until she was done. He looked over to me and I had the permanent scowl on my face, but he smiled at me. Then without warning he came running into my room. As I was silently cursing the nurses for leaving my door open, the smile upon his face widened.

He came right up next to my bed and stood there smiling at me. Then with his good arm he held out his big brown teddy bear. It was missing an eye but I had to admit it was cute. I laid there and stared at him for the longest time. Not knowing what he was wanting from me.

He said, "This is Teddy. He's still sick. He needs to stay here. Could you keep him here till he gets better?"

I reached out and took Teddy from his hand. I promised I would take care of Teddy until the time he got better. I also promised to keep him from harm afterwards.

Just then the little boy's mother called to him. He looked back at me and said, "Bye mister, bye Teddy" and ran out of the room. His mother smiled down at him and the nurse wheeled him away. I sat there hugging Teddy for the longest time. The nurse responded to my call just in time to catch the tears rolling down my cheeks and the biggest smile on my face.

I will never forget what that little boy gave to me that day. It was so much more than a well loved, one eyed teddy bear. I have kept my promises to that little boy too.

I have kept Teddy close to me ever since that day in the hospital room and I have kept that little boy close to my heart. Just recently I sent Teddy to the most special person in my life. She has the most incredible love. I will join her soon and we will keep Teddy for the rest of our lives.

Teddy will always be very well loved.

120shal thumbnail

Can Your Actions Affect Others?

Mark was walking home from school one day when he noticed the boy ahead of him had tripped and dropped all of the books he was carrying, along with two sweaters, a baseball bat, a glove and a small tape recorder.

Mark knelt down and helped the boy pick up the scattered articles. Since they were going the same way, he helped to carry part of the burden.

As they walked, Mark discovered the boy's name was Bill, that he loved video games, baseball and history, and that he was having lots of trouble with his other subjects, and that he had just broken up with his girlfriend.

They arrived at Bill's home first and Mark was invited in for a Coke and to watch some television. The afternoon passed pleasantly with a few laughs and some shared small talk, then Mark went home.

They continued to see each other around school, had lunch together once or twice, and then both graduated from junior high school. They ended up in the same high school where they had brief contacts over the years.

Finally the long-awaited senior year came and three weeks before graduation, Bill asked Mark if they could talk.

Bill reminded him of the day years ago when they had first met. "Did you ever wonder why I was carrying so many things home that day?" asked Bill.

"You see, I cleaned out my locker because I didn't want to leave a mess for anyone else. I had stored away some of my mother's sleeping pills and I was going home to commit suicide. But after we spent some time together talking and laughing, I realized that if I had killed myself, I would have missed that time and so many others that might follow. So you see, Mark, when you picked up those books that day, you did a lot more, you saved my life."

120shal thumbnail

A Couple's Heartbreak

A boy was born to a couple after eleven years of marriage. They were a loving couple and the boy was the apple of their eyes. When the boy was around two years old, one morning the husband saw a medicine bottle open. He was late for work so he asked the wife to cap the bottle and keep it in the cupboard. The mother, preoccupied in the kitchen, totally forgot the matter.

The boy saw the bottle and playfully went to the bottle and, fascinated with its color, drank it all. It happened to be a poisonous medicine meant for adults in small dosages. When the child collapsed, the mother hurried him to the hospital, where he died. The mother was stunned. She was terrified how to face her husband.

When the distraught father came to the hospital and saw the dead child, he looked at his wife and uttered just four words.

What do you think were the four words?

The husband just said "I Love You Darling"

The husband's totally unexpected reaction is proactive behavior. The child is dead. He can never be brought back to life. There is no point in finding fault with the mother. Besides, if only he have taken time to keep the bottle away, this will not have happened. No point in attaching blame. She had also lost her only child. What she needed at that moment was consolation and sympathy from the husband. That is what he gave her.

Sometimes we spend time asking who is responsible or who is to blame, whether in a relationship, in a job or with the people we know. We miss out some warmth in human relationship in giving each other support. After all, shouldn't forgiving someone we love be the easiest thing in the world to do? Treasure what you have. Don't multiply pain, anguish and suffering by holding on to forgiveness.

If everyone can look at life with this kind of perspective, there would be much fewer problems in the world.

Take off all your envies, jealousies, unwillingness to forgive, selfishness, and fears and you will find things are actually not as difficult as you think.

eljay thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Good work, shalini!  Your stories are inspiring.  I haven't been  coming here often due to other preoccupations and just happened to see this today - good work!
120shal thumbnail
Nanbanukku Uthaviyathaal ( IN TAMIL )

Hi friends. Since this forum doesn't support Tamil font, I am giving the link of this short story which is in Tamil.  

Here is the link for the TAMIL version of this story :-

Thank you.

120shal thumbnail
Aluvalagathil Oru Naal

Hi friends. Since this forum doesn't support Tamil font, I am giving the link of this short story which is in Tamil.  

Here is the link for the TAMIL version of this story :-

Thank you.

Edited by 120shal - 12 years ago