Posted: 12 years ago

TV review: 'Na Bole Tum'… is a worthy match for 'Bigg Boss 5'

By Asha Mahadevan

The drama has an engaging plot that will keep you glued to your screens five times a week

Colors' new show Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha came with a heavy burden – it was airing at the time slot vacated by Bigg Boss 5 and had to bring the viewers who had got hooked to the reality show back to the channel. A relatively new cast with a widow as its lead protagonist is not something that assures TRPs, but Colors took the risk and from what we've seen so far it just might pay off. Here's our take on it.

The plot:  Mrs Megha Vyas is a young widow with two children who lives with her in-laws in Indore. She is quiet, respectful to her elders and a good mother even though she has almost no money. She is taunted by temple priests and by total strangers who believe that her dead husband Aman was a corrupt engineer who allowed a bridge to collapse causing 25 people to die two years ago. She meets Mohan Bhatnagar who she thinks is a thug, but is actually a crime reporter. Both of them are fighting to prove Aman's innocence, but are unaware of the other's involvement.

Why watch it: We've watched all the three episodes aired so far, but the very first one was enough to hook us on to this new show. Theatre actor Aakanksha Singh debuts on television as the deglam mother-of-two Mrs Vyas, and brings a poignancy to her character that is lacking in victimised heroines on other shows. The dialogues are apt and the experienced supporting cast lends an air of credibility to the proceedings. Nirav Soni as Megha's nephew Tanmay definitely has potential and in a couple of years can pose serious competition to his elder brother Jay Soni of Sasuraal Genda Phool fame.

What's putting off: Kunal Karan Kapoor as Mohan fails to impress. Maybe he'll improve in the coming episodes, but till now, he has not struck a chord. We also didn't quite understand how Megha, an otherwise doting mother, agreed to take her daughter's pocket money to buy her son a birthday gift – a cricket bat, which incidentally, costs Rs. 700 on the streets of Indore. It doesn't cost that much on the streets of Mumbai!

Verdict: NBTNMKK has everything – interesting protagonists, an engaging storyline and a treatment that is different from other soaps. It admirably fills the slot left vacant by Bigg Boss 5 and is definitely something you will miss on weekends.

Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha airs weekdays at 10.30pm on Colors

Hmmm I disagree with them on the put off point cuz I am loving Kunal as Mohan infact I think he fits the char compltly
i agree to the article bcz they dint gave Mohan screen space in the first three episodes but he will impress soon 

well disagree first point 

not a worthy match , its wayyy better ,

love the protagonists <3 and i just love Kunal in this show 

on personal note i  loved him in Pratigya more thn Krishna but nw so happy that he got full fledge  role :)

I disagree with the Kunal not impressive point. Before i watched the initial episodes i too thought he may not be a good lead material as i have seen him play secondary characters mostly. But till now he has been good so far i think. He suits the character. 

I agree with that bat costing Rs. 700 in Indore was too much to believe. But thats just a minor point. If these things can put one off from any serial, then noone can watch any serial. 

One more thing the article compares the show to BigBoss which i consider is an insult (atleast till now what the show has been). BB fans pls forgive me thats just my opinion. 
Edited by subhas123 - 12 years ago
y are they comparing the show wid Bigboss...worthy match and all stuff
neways..i hope this show reaches in top 10 soon
Thanks for sharing...😊

I have to disagree Kunal has not failed to impress.. in fact I find he is perfect for this role..!! 
I think the reason the reviewer does not feel impressed by Kunal is that his character has not been completely unleashed for us to say anything yet. All we have seen so far has been through Megha's perspective. Little scenes here and there about him settling into a new colony are way too mundane to speak anything about his character.

I'm sure that as the episodes unfold we will be taken deeper into his character. So far I'm happy with how the show is turning out, not to mention how cute Kunal looks here 😛
Thanks for the article!!! Actually agree that it is the perfect match or compedition for BB and i think it will be ruling the trp chart soon as at 10:30 only thr is one compedition and tht is 8h. And this is very wrong that Kunal havent impressed us he is very perfect for this role!!! As already said if he would be given a perfect screen space!!!
i agree that the show is good and refreshing... but i disagree that kunal isn't impressive... the guy fits the role like no one else could... it's almost like it's written for him... and honestly they havn't shown too much of mohan in the 1st 3 episodes to write him off...