DelightedHeart thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago

Bahus bare it all

Small screen actresses like Juhi Parmar, Shweta Tiwari, Mona Singh and Roshni Chopra have moved to reality shows, revealing new aspects of their personality. They tell Divya Kaushik the format helps to break cliche images. And gets them diverse roles

For nearly seven years, Shweta Tiwari played the ideal small-screen daughter and perfect mom. The most important demand made of her, was to wail and maintain the pallu of her sparkling sari.

But Tiwari soon realised, that she was moving from her real self. She did not want people to constantly expect her to act and behave ten-years-older than she was. Then reality shows allowed her a new option.

Her latkas and jhatkas in a Bhojpuri dance reality show (as a judge), introduced her in a new light.

Then more reality shows and Bigg Boss 4 presented yet another image of her.

Today, Tiwari is known as a multifaceted actor. Her stint with reality TV helped maintain a foothold in the industry. She beamed, "Today, I am loaded with offers and scripts of a diverse range. My fans know that I can fit different characters. They also know my talent as an individual."

Tiwari is just one amongst many female actors on television today, who believe that reality shows gives them an opportunity to maintain a connect with the audience.

Mona Singh, Juhi Parmar, Roshni Chopra, Shweta Tiwari, or even Prachi Desai. We have many examples to prove that female leads on the small screen, are moving from the tested path. And they are working hard to change their typecast image.

The audience is more than glad to receive their shifting avatars.

Juhi Parmar's win in Bigg Boss season 5 is one example. The actor was loved for taking a stand. She said, "My fans helped prove to directors, that I suit a role." The actor claimed that she was offered parts in a daily soap after Kumkum. But she gained weight due to medical reasons. This was an issue with some directors. "But," she continued, "I knew I had talent to continue. And it was time to break the image that was created by my screen character."

She remarked, "I was sure the real Juhi would be more interesting for the audience than Kumkum. I was right. Reality shows like Bigg Boss, gave me confidence and opened doors for lucrative offers."

Parmar said, "TV is going through a phase, when elder actors get roles. This works in my favour." She is also looking forward to produce a show of her own.

Television actors have short shelf lives. It was believed their career ended, with the last episode of a popular daily soap. Take Smriti Irani. She was expected to do the same role on TV. But that did not happen.

Sakshi Tanwar went through a similar phase and gained popularity as Parvati bhabhi in Kahanii Ghar Ghar Ki. After Kasautii Zindagii Kay, Shweta Tiwari also faced hurdles.

Tiwari said, "There was a question, 'What next, after Kasautii'? I can't live as Prerna all my life. So I chose reality shows, to do comedy, dance, sing and become a part of the larger group."

Tiwari added, "The limitation with the small screen, is you are bound by one character.

"In your real life, you are expected to be the same. Breaking this image, was the biggest challenge I faced. I am glad that I got successful. Today, I opt for a mix of daily soaps as well as reality shows."

She asserted that even daily soaps she does, like Parvarish, are not the typical saas bahu sagas that she would have chosen if she had not opted for reality shows in the course of her career.

Ratan Rajput did Swayamvar on Imagine, to break the image of Lali in Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo. More than anything else, the change was needed to give fans a picture of what real Ratan was like. "I am an ordinary girl who hopes to marry the best person. I'm not into crying all the time. And thank God that people know it," she commented, with a wide grin.

On the flip side, it helps the directors and channels to rope in popular actors on reality shows. They said that, no matter what show it is, their presence helps.

Tiwari said, "It is fascinating for the audience to watch Dolly Bindra mouthing foul words. Or to gawp at Jassi, aka Mona Singh dancing to perfection. However rude an actor is in a reality show, he/she will still get fans. Look at Sky, (Akashdeeep Saigal). More fans means more popularity."

DL: http://www.dailypioneer.com/vivacity/35327-bahus-bare-it-all.html

Edited by ZarYab.....Khan - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sadme-Me-Hu thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Thanks for sharing.. Zarii.. but can u please add the Direct Link in ur Post and also edit ur Topic and make it "Article: Bahus bare it all... ST" So that people come to know that it is an article and not a topic.. :)
*FAZ* thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Thanks alot, Shweta  T is doing a fab job as a young mum.
Faraan92 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for sharing Zarii..🤗
riatagore thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for posting . Shweta tiwari is awesome in every where, where ever she steps.
jeet. thumbnail
yes and probably BB 4 boosted up her confidence to do many other roles 😊