Users

Frequent Posters

*Guli* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 17 years ago

Sudha Chandran enters Tumhari Disha

TV's top vamp slated to play a positive character on Zee show

Sapana Patil

It is customary to expect Sudha Chandran aka Ramola Sikand of Kahiin Kissi Roz to scheme and plot. However, the lady has everybody in for a surprise as now she will appear in an all new positive avatar.

With Zee TV's Tumhari Disha, her on-screen personality is all set to turn over a new leaf. Producer Rupali Guha shares, "Sudha Chandran will play the role of Vasudha. She is an old woman who is abandoned by her children. She is shown to enter the show when she saves Disha (played by Chavi Mittal) from an accident. Hence, Disha starts to like her and she becomes a mother figure to Disha and DK."

Chandran is obviously overjoyed and tells us why she took it on, saying, "One is that the character that I get to play is very interesting and second, I have a close association with the makers of the show. I have known director Yash Chauhan since Kahiin Kissi Ros days. Also, the fathers of both the producers Rupali and Pintoo Guha (Basu Chatterji and the late Dulal Guha respectively) are big names in the industry."

Chandran, synonymous with flashy bindis and sarees, will undergo a complete makeover for this project and will appear wearing simple sarees. Guha says, "For this role, we have given her a simple look unlike the way she has been portrayed until now because it's a positive role."

In times when story lines change often, will Chandran's character stay positive or eventually turn negative? "Well, we haven't really thought that far," laughed Guha. "But there will be lots of drama," she assures.

Chandran has begun shooting for her new role and is scheduled to appear sometime next week. She is also playing the deceased mother to five daughters in Hum Paanch (earlier played by the late Priya Tendulkar) and will also be seen in Priyadarshan's film Malamaal.

source:  mumbaimirror.com
*Guli* thumbnail

Interview with TV actor Sudha Chandran

"I vowed to become someone big"

Posted on 17 March 2003

Aclassic case of inner resolve, she overcame her disability with the help of a prosthetic 'Jaipur Foot' to become one of India's most highly acclaimed dancers.

Her public recital in Mumbai on 28 January , 1984, which heralded her comeback into the dancing arena after two years, was met with thunderous applause. Her success was followed by invitations for shows from all over the world, and she performed in several European countries, Canada and the Middle East. Films happened, and so did television. Today, she is the talk of the town, courtesy her innovative character of Ramola Sikand in Balaji Telefilms' late-night thriller Kaahin Kissii Roz.

This dancer-turned-actor believes each country has its own heroes who have never accepted defeat. "Like them, I have always believed in asking - 'What next?', rather than, 'Why me?' If Helen Keller could overcome her handicap, so can I. The seed of achievement lies in the human mind. When this realization comes, there is no looking back. Once I decided that my handicap was not going to stop me from dancing, that was it," begins Sudha Chandran, but quickly adds before the first question, "Please don't imitate Ramola Sikand too much in letter and spirit both. 'Thoda chalega' but within the parameters of law. She is a cold-blooded murderess and you can't break the law."

And for those who thought Kaahin...looked like it was winding up, here comes news that the serial has been given an extension.

Excerpts from an interview with Vickey Lalwani.

Was dancing your first love?
Yes. I was a lot into dancing as a co-curricular activity. But academics was never put on the backburner. Being from a South Indian family, I was very much an academic-minded girl. I did my B.A. from Mithibai College in Mumbai and followed it up with M.A. in Economics. That year, I was the only student from my college and class who got a first division.. (pauses).

Go on...
Before that, a major tragedy struck my life. My parents and I had gone for our yearly 'abhishek' to the South. We were returning and our bus met with an accident. I suffered a fracture in my right femur. Since it was an accident case, we were thrown into a government hospital. Call it the doctor's mistake or my misfortune; they put a plaster on my fracture and the toe started getting black. Since my parents too had been injured in the accident, there was no one handy to take a decision and look into my condition closely.

By the time my cousins came from Chennai, gangrene had set in. I was shifted to Vijaya Hospital in Chennai under the care of a leading orthopedic surgeon. He did his best for 20 days, but it became a question of life or limb. I had no other option but to get my right leg amputated. To change my mind, which obviously was almost shattered, I was taken for a holiday.

I had finished my junior college at that time. Eight months later, I came to Mumbai. The Principal of Mithibai College, (late) Mr. C.T.Bhastana, allowed me to join F.Y.B.A from the middle of the year.

Then?
Well, that was a tough time. The body had lost the mobility. It took me two full years to get back to dancing. My dance guruji and a physiotherapist combined to put me back in action. And of course, my parents backed me to the hilt. But deep down in their heart, they used to be very upset.

Believe it or not, my mother avoided going to the market simply because people would ask embarrassing questions about my future. Seeing all this, I felt terrible. I vowed to become someone big.

"There is no Shashikala or Bindu in Ramola Sikand"

Did you get into television to realize your vow?
No. I hadn't decided which field I would hit. Destiny smiled on me without any effort. I deserved that, didn't I? Initially, the media helped me quite a bit. When I got back to dancing, a lot of journalists wrote my fight-back story in the papers. This caught the attention of filmmaker Ramoji Rao. He contacted the USIS in Chennai. They sent a fax to my father who was working for the same company in Mumbai.

We flew down to Hyderabad. Initially, he just wanted to make a film on my life-story, with some other girl as the heroine. Later, he and even the director Srinivas thought that I should do the role.

And you grabbed the offer?
No. In fact, I asked for some time. They obliged. For three months, I kept quiet. My friends kept telling me that I was letting a golden opportunity slip away. A few days later, I gave in. Without Srinivas Rao, there would have been no Ramola Sikand.

Why?
That man is a genius. The moment he started directing me, I turned into wet clay. I learnt acting from him. He was my maker. The film did not do well in the first week but started picking up rapidly in the second. Initially, it was made in Telugu. Later it was dubbed in Malayalam and Tamil. Finally, it was remade in Hindi under the title Nache Mayuri.

How did television happen?
Television was never on my agenda, initially. After Nache Mayuri, I got films like Pati Parmeshwar, Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro, Qaid Mein Hai Bulbul and some others, but was reduced to playing sister and 'bhabhi' roles. Most of these bombed. Suddenly, there was a lull. I was jobless.

I shifted my attention down South. I did a few Telugu films which too were no great shakes. Then I met Sunil Mehta, owner of Cinevista Communications. I explained my predicament to him. He promised to call me after 15 days. I thought this was just one of those promises which was meant to be broken. But he cast me in a TV serial Saahil wherein I got noticed once again.

From there, I went on to anchor the Adhikaris' show Shriman Shrimati directed by Rajan Wagdhare. Rajan was impressed by my wacky sense of humour and he repeated me in another serial Kabhi Idhar Kabhi Udhar opposite Shekhar Suman. Then came a stream of serials- Manish Goswami's Chashme Buddoor, Satte Shourie's Kaise Kahoon... Touch wood.

"Even the way I outline my lipstick is being lapped up! "

How did 'Kaahin Kissii Roz' happen?
Balaji Telefilms was calling me for Kkusum and Kutumb. But I was very skeptical signing on their dotted line. I had heard a lot about their unprofessional delays in shooting schedules. The executive producer of Kaahin ..., Meetu, rang me to say, "Ekta is impressed with your acting in Kaise.... and she has a very exciting offer for you in one of her forthcoming serials Kaahin ...."

I heard them out. I was surprised that they wanted me to play a hi-fi manipulative industrialist. In Kaise ...which they'd liked, I had played a down-market Muslim girl. I thought that Ekta was miscasting me. I told her that I needed some time to think over. She obliged. Later I told Meetu that I won't be able to work day and night as Balaji Telefilms do. I had heard about the long hours at Balaji Telefilms. Meetu squashed all my fears saying that those were all rumours, the truth is that they work on a 12-hour basis for three months, bank the serials in the process and then hit.

So, life took a new turn?
Dramatic turn! Fantastic turn! Like I was lucky to get Srinivas Rao teaching me to act in films, I was lucky again to get another genius, Homi Wadia, teaching me to act in TV serials. Wadia is the pioneer of the look, style and attitude of Ramola Sikand that people talk about today. Also, Shobha Kapoor's sister Nim Sood, the creative stylist at Balaji Telefilms, contributed a lot. Wadia directed the first 15 episodes of the serial. As days rolled by, we improvised.

The special, queer 'bindis' and ornaments were not an original part of the look. Today, the same 'bindis' and jewellery have acquired the names of counters in many hi-fi shopping malls- Ramola Sikand 'bindi' counter, Ramola Sikand jewellery counter.! Even the way I outline my lipstick is being lapped up! Sarees are being sold under the brand name of 'Ramola Sikand'! Latest, husbands want their wives and children want their moms to look like Ramola!

I am very proud of the fact that for the first time in India, a negative character is being followed so lovingly. Today, I am the talk at beauty parlours, kitty parties and even fashion shows. It's an author-backed role alright.

What do you think has made this character tick?
One, the fact that I am not wearing any garish make-up and mouthing dirty language; there is not an iota of cheapness in this character unlike that in the characters of vamps in films. Candidly speaking, there is no Shashikala or Bindu in Ramola Sikand.

Two, the fact that I am a very flat character who expresses mainly through eyes; she doesn't get excited when she is happy, she doesn't get sad when her ruse fails, she doesn't get nervous before doing anything major.

Three, the character has loads of sophistication and poise; I am very elegantly draped in chiffons and crepes. Four, the fact that this role is so different from what the people have read about me; my earlier real life projects me as a character who needs to be sympathized, and here I am making the others dance to my tunes. Five, there is a Ramola Sikand inside every human being who wants to be successful.

"Working conditions in telly are good but not as luxurious as in films."

Are you a spontaneous or method actor?
Thankfully, spontaneous. I don't think that a method artiste can go far. You have to surrender yourself to the director; you ought to deliver his requirement as an output, then and there. Does he have time for the so-called methods? You will struggle if you are a method artiste if and when the director changes. Like, we have had three directors in Kaahin... far. We started with Homi Wadia, then we had Santaram Varma, now we have Naresh Khanna. The pace of thinking is different in all three.

What is your USP?
I can learn my lines in a very short period of time. I can give a very long shot without a mistake in reciting my dialogues. This plays a big role in enhancing my performance. Since I am not going to err on the words, I can concentrate fully on the expressions and body language. If you fumble, you are a candidate for retakes.

What draws you to the script?
Till now, I never had a choice. I signed whatever came to me. Not so long ago, I was struggling. But now, yes, I will be choosy. I certainly do not want to do another Ramola Sikand. Being repetitive on TV can be hazardous; you look stale. In films, it's just the opposite; you need an image to make a mark. If you experiment in films, you dig your grave. Strange, but true.

Are you game to playing a goody-goody Tulsi or Parvati?
Why not? Like Ramola Sikand, even those are author-backed roles. Thanks to Kaahin Kissii Roz, I am a very confident actor today. At the end of every day, I thank Balaji telefilms for helping me to regain my status as an actress. I can emote the positive emotions with equal ease and conviction. As an actress, I want to go through a gamut of emotions.

Do you improvise on your scenes?
When I rush back to see my scenes on the monitor, I have never felt dissatisfied with my performance. But if ever I am, I will never tell the director that he needs to take another shot. I am looking at the scene from an actor's point of view. He is looking at it from a director's point of view. Who is superior? Naturally, the director. He is the captain. I have no right to direct him. I have no right to trample on his ego. In fact, I must have blind faith in him. I don't even intervene on my lines. I am of the firm belief that every professional is here because he deserves to be.

Is working on television easy?
It's very difficult. Haven't we seen many actresses from the celluloid trying their hand on the tube and walking out in very bad shape? The deadline for submission of cassettes, every now and then, is very tough to abide by. Else, the channels don't take it lightly. We have to work 12 hours at least every day. We rarely take Sundays off. At times, this disturbs our family life.

Working conditions are good but not as luxurious as in films. Stars walk into film shootings only when they are required. One scene can stretch to even three days. There is no Damocles' sword of a deadline hanging over your head. Besides, they sit in air-conditioned vans and take long breaks after virtually every shot. TV stars don't have time to laze and fool around; they have to be alert and quick. Everything is strictly work-oriented. Unlike film stars, TV artistes cannot be unprofessional.

What's the biggest compliment you received on Ramola Sikand?
Ramesh Sippy once told me, "The anxiety on the faces of the people when they see Ramola Sikand on television is similar to what they experienced when looking at Gabbar Singh in Sholay."

What else are you up to?
I am doing a play Kamaal Karte Ho Aap Bhi written by Imtiaz Patel. All those who have seen this play say I am like the Sweetie of Hum Paanch, a little less of 'pauli' in the head (smiles). Also, my husband Ravi Dang and I are producing a TV serial Waqt Ka Dariya directed by Ramoji Rao.

He brought me to cinema and I share a special bond with him. Furthermore, we are planning a daily soap with Rao which should start rolling soon.

Has dancing taken a slight backseat?
Yes. Acting takes away quite a lot of time. But still I perform whenever I can.

Click here for more actor's Interviews
*Guli* thumbnail

Sachin Tyagi wants to be Daddy No 1
   By: Vickey Lalwani
   October 14, 2005

Sachin Tyagi
Recently, TV actor Sachin Tyagi has been in the news for his alleged link-up with Rakshanda Khan.

While he has been termed an eligible bachelor in the past, Tyagi is in fact married and separated from wife Pallavi. He two daughters — Pari (three-and-a-half) and Saadhvi (almost two) — both stay with him.

No happily ever after

Tyagi does not deny his separation or fatherhood. However, he refrained from going into the reasons for the split.

"The reasons are too personal; let's not get into that." Pallavi visits the kids sometimes at Tyagi's flat in Four Bungalows, with lots of clothes and toys for the kids. "But we'll never get together again, that's for sure," he adds.

Sachin and Pallavi met at a club in Mumbai and were introduced by common friends. "She was a friend of my friend's girlfriend," Tyagi reveals. The couple married on June 26, 2000.

Papa kehte hain

Life has not been easy on Tyagi. "I never knew I would fall in love; leave alone get married and become a father so young," says the 29-nine-year-old.

"Someone up there keeps changing whatever you plan. I desperately wanted to become a singer (he has cut an album for Times Music) but here I am, acting. Recently, I had taken a break from acting and was ready for my second album, when Tumhari Disha happened. Today, my first priority is to be the best father in the world."

Marry again? Never!

Tyagi says he would never consider marrying again. "I am terribly hurt. Give me one good reason why I should remarry," he asks. Errr how about Rakshanda Khan? "Please. I don't know why people link us up. I did go to few parties with her and there was a time when we met at Caf Coffee Day quite regularly.

But after reading about the link-up, I've almost stopped our acquaintance. She categorically asked me if I was crazy for backing off after being linked-up in the press. But I had a problem. Rakshanda is a friend and I am a responsible father."

[email protected]

*Guli* thumbnail

Zee bahus celebrates Karva Chauth in style!

The Zee bahus have taken on the cudgels of observing the norms of tradition! We have the leading ladies on the channel talking about their on screen husbands and how important this day is for them. They will also wish the viewer's happy sinndoor day. Palak from Palkhi, Disha from Tumhari Disha, Rimjhim from Piya ka ghar and Jia from Reth will wish the viewers

Gurdeep Kohli will inform the viewers the moon rise time that is 8:19 pm all through the day. Besides the above, there will be many in programme announcements on Karvachauth.

Star Plus bahus...what about you all?

source:  indiantelevision.com
*Guli* thumbnail
Disha wants to sing a song
   By: Sandipan Dalal
   October 22, 2005
Prettiest of them all
Name:
Chhavi Hussein.

Claim to fame: Born and raised in Gurgaon this lass started her career by grabbing a few modeling assignments.

After completing her post graduation in music she landed up in the city seeking a prospective career. Says Hussein, "I had given myself just 15 days to get something on my plate. And it was on the second day I shot for a catalogue. She moved on to do commercials of Stayfree and Anacin before Tumhari Disha (Zee) happened to her. She also plans to cash in on her vocal abilities and will soon
Saif is a natural choice for me
take to singing.

Favourite haunt: The Myst, Lokhandwala.

Favourite drinks: Daiquiri.

Favourite street-food: Frankie rolls.

Favourite restaurant: Candy's, Bandra and Zikr, Lokhandwala.

Favourite salon: Kroma Kay, Juhu.

Favourite clothes stores: Kimaya, Juhu.

I'm so full of myself
Favourite shoe store:
Charles and Keith, Inorbit Mall.

Favourite celebrity: Tabu and Saif Ali Khan.

Favourite destination: Goa.

Treasured body feature: My waist and smile.

Let there be light
Pics: B L Soni
I pamper myself…

By getting a nice body massage and head massage done at the salon, watching movies and splurging on myself while shopping.

Things I like about the city:
— People are quite chilled out here.
—Fast pace of the city.

Things I hate about the city:
—Climate.
—Roads.

I love Mumbai because…
No matter what happens, life never comes to a standstill here.

[email protected]
*Guli* thumbnail

Chhavi Mittal on Disha in 'Tumhari Disha'

"I would like to be as patient as Disha. She is extremely honest  and genuinely feels for people. But sometimes she is a bit too good to be true and I can't always be like that.

"TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!"

*Guli* thumbnail
Nikkhil cosies up with Kavita
   By: Tushar Joshi
   November 10, 2005

BEFORE THE WINE, ON GUARD: Kavita and Nikkhil
The recently held Hero Honda ITA awards didn't really excite attendees this year.  But the party held afterwards at a suburban restaurant raised a few eyebrows. The reason? Kesar actor Nikkhil Arya (Rudra) getting up close and personal with co-star, Kavita Kaushik (Kadambari).

Witnesses from the party claim the two were seen holding hands and getting too close for comfort. "There was definitely something happening between Nikkhil and Kavita. She was with him throughout the night, from the beginning to the end. It also could be because they are co-stars, you never know," an actress who was at the party said.

He was high

When contacted, Kavita lashed out. "I don't know why this is being made out into such a big deal. I have known Nikkhil since I joined Kesar, and we hang out together as a group as well. It is true that I was giving him company at the party, because he was a little high."

ONE DRINK LATER:  Let's talk about you and me, baby
The actress claims she wanted to make sure everything was all right with him.

"I think there's nothing wrong in being with someone and taking care of him. It's true I was holding his hand, but I would do that with any of my friends, in the same situation."

Commitment phobia

Kaushik adds that she wants to stay away from relationships for the moment, since she feels she has always been unlucky in love. "There is no one in my life right now, and I am not hunting for anyone either. I have had miserable experiences in the past, and am very scared to commit again."

TWO DRINKS LATER: Damn the cameras, let's hold hands     
Celebrating what?

When we contacted Nikkhil, the actor was flustered. "I was in high spirits, but not due to any intoxication. I had something to celebrate that night." But the actor didn't win any award, so what did he celebrate? "It's something personal; very soon, I will let you know," he said.

What about those present at the party, who claim he was tipsy? "Let me tell you that I am a man who can hold his drink, unlike other people I know. I don't know who is spreading this rubbish about me getting drunk."

[email protected]

*Guli* thumbnail

Kamlesh Kunti Singh lashes out against Sudha Chandran

Sudha Chandran
Another writer who has come forth to express his displeasure over the awards ceremony is Kamlesh Kunti Singh, who has written Prratima in the past and is working on Raja Mukerji's new film.

Singh is furious with Sudha Chandran, who went on stage to collect her award for Best Actress in a negative role for Prratima, but completely forgot to thank her unit.

"How can you win an award for a Raja Mukerji show and go on stage and thank Ekta Kapoor and Balaji? It was really saddening to see an actress like her totally ignoring the people responsible for giving her the trophy."

Kamlesh also says that the awards this year have set bad standards for upcoming artistes and technicians. "Awards are supposed to set standards for newcomers. But I doubt people will look up to this years winners and want to be in their shoes."

*Guli* thumbnail

New characters on Tumhari Disha

Master Raju with Chavi Mittal

PK of Kareena Kareena and former child star Master Raju to enter the show

Sapana Patil

Looks like Zee TV does not want audiences to forget their show Kareena Kareena, that ended almost a month ago. That's the reason why one of the famous characters, PK played by Atul Srivastava from Kareena Kareena is making his entry in another Zee show – Tumhari Disha.

Producer Rupali Guha of Tumhari Disha says, "The channel wanted to further the leverage of the characters that are popular on television. One such character is PK. He will enter Disha's life as PK and make a difference in DK and Disha's life. Recently, we also introduced a negative character Vasudha (portrayed by Sudha Chandran) too. DK and Disha (played by Ashish Nayyar and Chavi Mittal) have also gone through a lot and have lost everything in life in the show. So, we wanted to bring in some optimism."

In Tumhari Disha, PK will appear as he did in Kareena Kareena – that is in a similar get-up and similar role. The only difference will be that his family will be shown on screen this time. The show also will see the appearance of another positive character played by child artist of yesteryears, Master Raju. 

Guha further elaborates, "Raju will play a taxi driver Johny. The character is shown in a positive light. However, the addition of these new characters will not shrink the importance of existing characters like Disha's mother and sister. There is lots to come." 

The new characters will appear next week.

*Guli* thumbnail
Kruttika Desai scripts play for children
   By: Soumya Menon
   November 24, 2005

Akanksha, the NGO for underprivileged children, is staging a musical, Kabir and The Rangeen Kurta — an adaptation of Joseph and his Technicolour Coat, by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

The play, staged by the children of Akanksha, is about a young boy, Kabir, who aspires to achieve his dreams. Shaheen Mistry, the founder of the organization, thought of the original concept and actress Kruttika Desai scripted it.

Kruttika Desai has been training Akanksha kids in acting, and is glad to be an inspiration for them. "This is my second year with Akanksha. The first time I took time to teach them the basics of acting. Now, it is easier, and the children are so talented and confident," she said.

Dreams come true

The idea behind the play is to make children believe that dreams can come true — and how important it is to let children live their dreams.

"It is about chasing dreams," said Kruttika. Added Shaheen, "Our plays have a message, and this time, it is to show that if you give kids opportunities to realise their dreams, they will shine." The play's protagonist, Kabir, dreams to be a Bollywood star.

Shiamak Davar and his troupe have choreographed dances for the play. "This is my second year with Akanksha. I have worked with children for over 25 years, and it's a different experience to work with them. They are spontaneous and free, and you know what they can or cannot do. There are ten songs in the play," said Shiamak.       

It's tougher this time

There are 150 underprivileged children who have participated in the play and worked on its production too. There are seven teams, each working on different aspects of the play.

Acting, singing, dancing, art and merchandising are the main sections. "The children are very talented and this play is much more complex than the last one. Though at the end of it, they do get tired, they are all geared to do more," said Kruttika.

Great expectations

"We expect a houseful this time. Last year's response was good. This year, it has been a better effort and all of us at Akanksha are looking forward to some good responses," said Shaheen.

Highlight Films has made a Kabir and the Rangeen Kurta short film, which is interwoven into the play. A special line of Rangeen products will be on sale at the show, including Rangeen Kurtas.

The play will be staged at St Andrews Auditorium, Bandra, on December 2 and 3, at 7pm; on December 4 at 12 noon; January 6 and 7 at 7pm; and on January 8, at 12 noon.