Concept/ Characters/ Articles-NO COMMENTS - Page 7

Posted: 17 years ago
By: Tushar Joshi
   February 17, 2006

Chhavi Hussein
Zee's Tumhari Disha had its fair share of drama yesterday. Lead heroine Chhavi Hussein was asked to report on the sets to shoot promos for the channel.

The drama is going to have a high point next week, when Disha discovers who her real mother is.

Made to wait

The twist in the tale happened when Chhavi walked off the sets after she realised the unit would require more time with her. The actress usually has a weekly off on Thursday, but decided to go ahead with the shoot, since the channel was keen to get the promos on air.

When asked if she left her shoot mid-way, Chhavi said, "Yes I did leave the set, but that's only after waiting for four hours — from 8 am to noon.

Actually it's my weekly off today, but I cooperated, since my presence was required for the shoot. However, when I realised they were making me wait longer, I couldn't comply and had to leave."

Sarkari kaam

What was so urgent that she had to leave the set? "There has been some very important government work pending for the last five months. There was no way I could back out of it, or postpone it. In fact, when I reached the office, the officer I had to meet had already left. So I have to wait some more now."

But doesn't this hamper the show's shooting? "There are times when I am made to wait for hours, while sometimes I get caught up and the producers have to wait. I think both parties have to compromise on certain occasions," says Chhavi, adding that if possible, she would try and resume the shoot as soon as her work was done.

"It is difficult balancing your personal and professional life, but there isn't much anyone can do about it."

Programming head for Zee, Ashwini Yarde confirmed that it was necessary to get the shoot wrapped up yesterday. "Yes we did press for the promos to highlight a track happening next week. But I think we couldn't meet our requirement due to reasons known to you."

Pivotal drama

Producer Rupali Guha, who was in Delhi, was aware of what happened on the sets. "I did hear that Chhavi had to leave due to personal reason. I think all of us are working really hard to maintain the success Disha has achieved. There are pressures on everyone from various factors, but a common path needs to be achieved."

Did Chhavi's walking out upset Guha? "The channel did ask us to shoot for promos, as next week's drama is very pivotal for the story. So the on air promotion did have to start as soon as possible. However, that isn't possible now. I guess we'll have to think of something else."

Chhavi Mittal

Describing me - A perfectionist, sensitive and short tempered being

Acting is - An interesting and entertaining profession

My claim to fame- Tumhari Disha

If I had not been an actor, I would have been - a playback singer

My best friend- My husband, Mohit

I avoid- people who praise me too much

My role model - My husband

Love for me is - A feeling in which you can fight with a person but still be the best of friends

Lust is - a feeling in which you can stay with a person but cannot take his pain or responsibility

My first crush - I don't remember his name, but he was my senior in school

I look forward to - going to Delhi

For a romantic date I would- have a combination of walking on the beach and a candle night dinner

Mumbai to me is- a chilled out place

Sexiest man on screen - Colin Farrell and from television, Mohan Bhandari

I always carry - my hand cream and lip balm

Fruit I resemble the most - Kiwi, because it is different, khatta-meetha and also it takes a while to get used to its taste

Kavita's surprise birthday party
   February 18, 2006

Kavita Kaushik and Karan Grover
What are the essential ingredients to surprise a friend on his birthday? Act as if you don't care that it's her birthday.

Pretend you're unaware of the event and ignore her. Then call the rest of the gang and draw up elaborate party plans to call in the day.

Party planner

Kamya Punjabi
Kavita Kaushik's close friends did just this, thrilling her on her birthday on Wednesday. The key conspirator was Kavita's best friend, Kamya Punjabi. "I had to make sure Kavita was unaware about the party, or else there would be no surprise.

So, I made Karan (Grover) take her out shopping, while I went buying balloons, confetti, candles and other decorations. I also had to call all the other guys and tell them to be at the venue (Kavita's house) before she got in," recalls Kamya.

Karan's updates

As planned, Punjabi got the cake and the other stuff. "Karan kept messaging me from time to time, informing me where they were. So I knew I had to hurry. Finally, when Kavita opened the door and saw the balloons and cake, she was thrilled.

Kavita suspected

Apart from Kamya, Kavita's other actor friends there were Ritu Raj, Sachin Verma, Samir Kocchar, among others. When contacted, Kavita said, "I actually knew something was brewing, because none of these guys called me on my birthday.

Not only was I suspicious, but also inquisitive to know what was cooking behind my back. The moment I walked into my house and saw Kamya and everyone else, it felt amazing. After a long time, I had one of the best birthday parties ever."

Special Valentine

To add to the celebration was the fact that a day before, she spent Valentine's Day with boyfriend Karan Grover. Refusing to divulge details she said, "It was the best time ever. Karan really made it special, every moment of was something I'll remember for a long time."

Now that the fun's over, Kaushik is back to work. The actress is all set to shoot for Star One's Darna Mana Hai. "I love spooky thrillers and suspense. So, it will be fun to be a part of this show."

Dimple plays Anuj's girlfriend, yet again!

Dimple Inamdar seems fated to play Anuj Saxena's girlfriend. On screen, we mean. The lass has re-entered Star Plus' Kumkum Ek Pyara Sa Bandhan as Kamya and is playing Jatin's (Anuj

Saxena) girlfriend, that too for the second time in the show! Before that, Dimple played girlfriend to Anuj in SaharaOne's Prratima, before Anuj got betrothed to Jyoti Mukherjee.

She doesn't mind being paired opposite Anuj again, and laughs, "I play Jatin's girlfriend from his chawl whom he had previously planted in London (that track was shown in January) and now I enter Wadhwa family and work with them.

I try to get their property, besides my character might turn negative later. Later, Anuj (who's revealed to be an imposter) will want to marry me in the show and their will be lot of variations in the show," says Dimple Inamdar, who will wear typical chawl-like clothes in the show and has been shooting for Kumkum for the past ten days.

Dimple is also seen in Ek Ladki Anjani Si where she plays Shakti Anand's colleague and is also doing a new show.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Star of the week: By A.L. Chougule

Chavi Mittal, the ever sacrificing and goody two shoes Disha in the serial Tumhari Disha created quite a storm in real life when she stormed off the sets while shooting was yet to get over. The actress swears that she wasn't acting high and mighty though. She clarifies, "Thursday is my weekly off which I utilise for completing a lot of pending jobs. A day before my weekly off we couldn't shoot because of technical problem with the equipment. The entire day got wasted and two very important scenes had to be shot the next day. I agreed to shoot from 7 am to 12 noon because I had a very important meeting at 1 pm. Not only did I shoot for those two scenes but they also made me shoot two more scenes, which I did without saying anything. After that they wanted to shoot the serial's new promo about which I was not informed before. I refused and left the set at 12.15 pm and ended up missing on the appointment as well."

Well, the promo she refused to shoot was a very important one as the producers wanted to highlight the serials twists and turns in it to get the audience glued. Like the ups and downs in Disha's life, the show too has been going through a lot of ups and downs. It has experienced a loss in TRPs and has currently slipped from its number one position to number four.

But this doesn't make Chavi insecure as she reasons, "It happens with old serials. When new shows are introduced viewers pay more attention to them. I don't see any other reason for the drop." She feels Tumhaari Disha should see a rise in TRPs thanks to the latest twist in the tale that happened just two episodes ago. Sudha Chandran who plays a negative character has been scheming and plotting against Disha without knowing that she is her daughter.

"When it was revealed it came as a major shock to everyone," elaborates Chavi. Earlier too Disha had a major jolt when she discovered that Vedant, the man she trusted, was out to ruin her life. "Such spikes are part of the story which have a bearing on Disha's relationship with DK," says Chavi. Though she is doing television for the last two years she doesn't watch much of TV. Soaps are just not her cup of tea.

"You can't connect with the happenings if you are not a regular viewer." However, if she is tuned in she prefers watching music and film channels. And it comes as no surprise that the TV actors she bonds with happen to be her co-stars. Her favourite television actors include Zareena Wahab, Krutika Desai and Ashish Nayyar.

She doesn't have many friends in the television industry. "Dimple Ghosh, Krutika and Rakhi are the few friends I have," says Chavi who has found her friends in Tumhaari Disha whom she meets on the serial's sets. "When you are working for 25 days in a month there's hardly any time to visit each other or meet outside." The remaining five days are reserved for holidaying.

"Holidays are a must to relax and rejuvenate myself for the next schedule," says Chavi whose holiday destinations include hill stations like Matheran and Lonavala, coastal holiday spots such as Daman and Goa and Delhi (where her parents live). But she prefers Goa, the most because of the sea and its lovely beaches

Kavita Kaushik showcases her fit physique on CID, but the lady says she has never seen the inside of a gym! Mind-boggling, ain't it? having done a number of serials and having made her presence felt in a few feature films too, she shares her health secrets with Riya V Anandwala.

Kavita brags her flat stomach without any workout!

Are you health conscious?
Yes, I am!

What do you do to keep yourself fit?
Well, I eat everything, but yes, I avoid roadside food. My basic mantra of fitness is being happy and keeping my surroundings happy. I am also very particular about hygiene when it comes to my food. I binge on lots and lots of juices too.

What does "being healthy" mean to you?
Being healthy essentially means having a healthy mind, being happy from within which will then reflect in your body. I believe on must always avoid evil thoughts and negativity which will hamper you physically. And yes, eating well is the most important part of being healthy.

Do you work out in a gym?
I have never seen the face of a gym! If I got to a gym today, I will be just standing there and probably won't know what to do. It's just that I don't believe in gyms.

If you don't workout in a gym, then do you exercise at home?
Well, consciously I don't do anything of that type. Firstly, I am doing two daily soaps, so there is a lot of running around and fortunately, my family does not have a tendency to put on weight. In turn, I have a tendency to lose weight, if I am depressed about something I will lose my fittings in two days.

How many meals do you have in a day?
Don't ask me this, because I am practically eating the entire day. If I am done with my meal, and a sizzling brownie comes my way, I will hog that too. So it's that way, I never tell myself to do anything of that sort.

The flush on her face is a result of a fit mind!

Have you ever gone on a strict diet?
Strict diet? No, never. I have never been on a normal diet too. I just can't do that.

As you shoot most of the time, does it affect your health?
I don't let that happen. I always try and pack up by 10 pm. If and only if its an emergency, I extend my deadline. I have seen many actors slogging 24 x 7, but if one wants to be in this line, it is not advisable to do so, its always better to take it slow and steady.

Are you into adventure sports?
Oh yes! I love adventure big time. I indulge in river rafting, abseiling. I have never tried bungee jumping, but I intend to do that soon. I don't like local sports; I love dangerous sports which involve high-rate of risks.

Are you into Yoga?
No, no way! I am a restless soul. I can't sit in one place for more than five minutes. So meditation and yoga are far away.

before anyone asks i am telling who plays Ajai Singh

Ajai's character is played by Manav Kaul. he is actor cum director. he writes plays for Prithavi Theater. he shot fame by his debut play "Sakar ke Paanch Daane". he has acted in serial's like CID, Aahat. he was last seen in Bhabhi as Rakesh Chopra.

Sana bedridden with workout woes

Sana Panscholi and Rannvijay Singh at the shoot
This week, when Aditya Panscholi and Zarina Wahab's daughter Sana gave her mahurat shot for her debut film, Direct Dil Se (produced by Vivek Vaswani and directed by Nishant) most people were surprised to note that Panscholi wasn't present.

The truth is, Panscholi has been bedridden for the last 10 days, with an injured leg and badly sprained back. Direct Dil Se stars MTV VJ Rannvijay as Sana's co-star.

"I was very disappointed that I could not attend Sana's mahurat shot," says Panscholi. "But for 10 days, I haven't been able to get out of the house. I developed a hamstring injury in my right leg while over-exercising, and when I went to the doctor, he put me on traction and my injury got aggravated further.

Initially, it was only a nagging pain; then I could not move or get up from bed. This is the first time something like this has happened, and it is extremely painful. But Zarina went for the mahurat."

Can't move at all

Adds Vaswani, "It is true that Aditya is unwell and can't move at all. Zarina is doing a cameo in the film. She plays Sana's mother and we were shooting in their house yesterday.

Aditya sent a message saying he can't even get up to meet us. The message said, 'Sir, I will not be able to join you on this great day I have a back and hamstring injury. I wish you and your entire team all the best'.

Why did Panscholi select Vaswani's film for Sana's launchpad? "Neither Zarina nor I selected the film. We were never involved. Vivek approached Sana and she was selected on her own merit.

In fact, Zarina is good friends with Sanjay Leela Bhansali's mother and talks to her everyday, as we live in the same building. She is also close to the Rajshris, but we never pushed Sana anywhere or sent her photos to anybody."

Sana's training

Has his daughter undergone any formal training? "She has learnt Kathak and has also attended Kishore Namit Kapoor's acting classes, besides the Ganesh Acharya Dance Academy," he says.

Does his son also want to be an actor? "Sooraj is only 15 and too young to even think about any profession."

Saturday, April 01, 2006

It is only after his trip to London that Ashish Nayyar has discovered how popular he really is. The actor who plays the character of DK in Tumhari Disha on Zee TV was taken back on being mobbed by fans in London where he had gone to attend the channel's annual carnival."It was such an overwhelming experience. People were falling out of the barricades when they saw me. It was just out of the world," says an elated Ashish.

"Tumhari Disha is the oldest running serial and DK, the character is pretty big. People from Norway and different parts of Europe had come down to see me. They kept on thanking me and telling me that they see India through my eyes. These are the people who have settled abroad for the past few decades. Its through Zee TV and the serial that they feel India", he adds further.

The Zee carnival is held everywhere in different places around the world. But this was for the first time that it was held in London. "I realised that Zee TV is a bigger than any other channel in London," says Ashish adding further, "It was held for a period of three days. And the response was amazing. It was a good platform to meet our fans abroad. There it seemed like another world. Thousands of people travelled a big distance to meet us. And I realised there were so many fans of DK around the world, most of them were NRIs coupled with a few whites"

Along with Ashish , Rajashri Thakur who plays Saloni in Saat Phere, actors Arjun Rampal, Rani Mukherjee and singer Shaan were also a part of the same carnival. On asked about the new found stardom that television has given him, he says, "Television has definitely come up in a big way in the last couple of years. Ten years back, there were not too many serials. But now the reach of the medium is really very big"

What about the rumours that he is getting married soon? "I would like to keep it a very private thing. I am simple and I like to lead the life of a normal man. There are discussions but I won't be able to divulge details about when, who etc, When it happens you will come to know," he explains. So now that he is a star what about his female fans who are going to be heart broken by this move of his? "I wish I could marry each one of them," says a jovial Ashish.

For starters, Ashish is an MBA in marketing who realised that his calling lies in acting. He has done theatre, ad films and serials like Kehna Hai Kuch Mujhko. But his first starring role is that of DK in Tumhari Disha.  And his future plans? "I am very business minded. I have a resort in Goa and I have plans to open another one soon and also continue doing good work as an actor," he signs off

Ashish to marry
   March 31, 2006

Kumuda Rao and Ashish Nayyar
Tumhari Disha's DK will soon be breaking the hearts of his female fans.

Ashish Nayyar, who plays DK, has decided to take saat phere with girlfriend Kumuda Rao, on April 6.

After a little coaxing Ashish revealed his wedding plans.

"I have been thinking about getting married for a long time, but I think this is the right time." Kumuda has been his steady girlfriend for three years.

"She's from Bangalore and works as a creative director with a leading ad agency. I met her during the shoot of an ad film, and that's when we hit it off as friends."

What made him fall for her? "She's superbly simple. I haven't met anyone else who's so levelheaded, intelligent and positive. I like her outlook towards life and we relate to each other on many levels."
Armani, of course!

Ashish will have a traditional Hindu wedding in Delhi, and later, a reception for his friends in Mumbai. The groom will be attired in western and Indian clothes, for different ceremonies. Said Ashish, "I recently picked up a couple of Armani suits in London. I also want to wear something Indian, like a sherwani."

Safari time

What about the honeymoon? "We haven't figured out any place as yet, but I want to go to Africa. I think our honeymoon photos will have more animals than the two of us!"  The actor's family approves of the match.

"They love Kumuda and have given us their blessings. In fact, she has been living with me for the last year, so by now, we know each other really well."