swethasyam08 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago

TOI: Highest paid TV stars garner the lowest TRPs

By Akash Wadhwa, TNN | Jan 19, 2013, 12.00 AM IST

READ MORE Ronit Roy|Ram Kapoor|Punar Vivah|Parichay|Gurmeet Chaudhary
Highest paid TV stars garner the lowest TRPs
Ram KapoorMore Pics

TV stars who take home fat pay cheques don't necessarily guarantee high TRPs for their shows

A lot of money might be riding on the veterans in the television industry, but the irony is that none of the highest paid actors on TV today are able to give a TRP boost to their shows. Whether it is Ram Kapoor in Bade Achhe Laggte Hain(BALH) or Rashmi Desai's much-hyped re-entry in Uttaran, the serials with some of the most popular names of Indian television are struggling to maintain viewership.

"While this may come as a surprise to many, the insiders in the industry always knew that this would happen sooner than later," rues producer Saurabh Tewari, whose serial Madhubala... Ek Ishq Ek Junoon with fresh faces like Vivian D'sena and Drashti Dhami is among the top ones on TV, going by TRPs.

"When Ram Kapoor became a hit with BALH, everyone thought this trend of bringing back oldies would work, but aisa hua nahi. Old actors rarely make a successful comeback on TV. The prime example of this is Smriti Irani, whose comeback on a comedy show years ago, flopped badly," he says, Even Ram Kapoor, who was a hit with viewers, and reportedly commanded a pay packet of 80,000 per day, has not been able to sustain the TRPs of his show.

"TV channels tried working with old faces and new stories, but it didn't work for everyone. There were stories being written by every producer and channel for comebacks of popular TV actors, but they obviously didn't realise that on TV, the script rules, not the faces," says producer Bhairavi Raichura.

Director Ravindra Gautam, who has worked as a director with shows like BALH and Parichay,was recently roped in for a month to direct the serial Honge Juda Na Hum, to boost its TRPS. "TV stars are a myth, there can't be stars on TV. Agar aisa hota toh khali veterans ko le lene se hishows chal jaate," says Gautam, adding, "Also, it is not easy for every director to handle these actors."

Apparently, working with the stalwarts of the TV industry comes with its cup of woes. "Content is compromised when you're working with these actors because they don't give a show more than 15 days in a month. The TV industry works on a daily basis, and 15 days isn't enough to cultivate a track. That's why shows with some of the highest paid actors also have elaborate parallel tracks, which are created to sustain the show. But parallel tracks can't be substitutes for the main track," points out Saurabh.

But Samir Soni has a rejoinder to that. "What has really happened with shows having veterans from the TV industry is that content has taken a back seat. Director aake bolta hai, 'please pull the show with your acting,' but someone should give us the script also na? There's no innovation in content in shows that have the highest paid actors. Yes, of course there are fans who will watch our shows only for us, but even we have limited scenes in an episode. There are other tracks as well," he says.

Samir also says that the time slot given to their shows is also one of the reasons for low TRPs. "Most shows with highest paid actors are aired in the late-night slot, with re-runs throughout the day. So people usually have time options to catch the show," he points out.

Ram Kapoor: 80,000 per day
Show: Bade Achhe Laggte Hain
Current TRP: 2.3

Gurmeet Chaudhary: 75,000 per day
Show: Punar Vivah Current
TRP: 1.9

Ronit Roy: 70,000 per day
Show: Adalat Current
TRP: 2.2

Aamna Sharrif: 65,000 per day
Show: Honge Juda Na Hum
Current TRP: 0.5

Rashmi Desai: 65,000 per day
Show: Uttaran
Current TRP: 2.4

Mona Singh: 50,000 per day
Show: Kya Hua Tera Vaada
Current TRP: 1.1

Samir Soni: 50,000 per day
Show: Parichay
Current TRP: 1.3

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Highest-paid-TV-stars-garner-the-lowest-TRPs/articleshow/18076963.cms

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

swethasyam08 thumbnail

TOI: Hiten Tejwani talks straight from his heart

TNN | Feb 1, 2013, 04.09 PM IST

Hiten Tejwani talks straight from his heart
Hiten Tejwani

Everyone goes through their share of moments when they are told that once you become a parent you get a different high altogether. 

When told about it, you don't really tend to give it that much importance but when you are in the phase of actually becoming one, you realize how true are the words of those people who've told you so. 

I went from being a boy to a man on November 11, 2009. That's when my world changed; mynew born's were with me in my arms! As the doctor walked out of the room to tell me 'Hey Hiten you've got twins', I could barely believe what I heard. I suddenly realized and felt like a totally changed man. A new responsibility had entered my life which I was only but glad to take on. 

As I walked into the delivery room, I could see Gauri, my wife, as excited as I was, or even more perhaps. I remembered the tenure of her pregnancy. Whenever her parents and friends asked her how she was coping with it she only smiled and said I have my Man with me so I needn't really worry about anything. 

True in those days I did stay with her since I felt as much a part of this pregnancy. I always termed it as us getting pregnant. I realized how important it had been for both of us. 

I know I reduced a lot of my work during that time and it was a sabbatical as some people may term it but I don't regret any of that at all because what was important to me was being by her side and seeing her through those 9 months. 

Today as I hold my children in my arms I feel ecstatic, it's a different joy altogether —one that I cannot describe, one that makes my heart skip a beat, one that makes me realize I am the man of the house and I ought to take this responsibility on with a smile since it's one thing every man wants to take on and go through.
I feel proud to be a husband and a father I feel my world is complete today and I have never been happier. 

Thank you to my wife and my children for having given me this opportunity to feel this proud and this content in my life.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Hiten-Tejwani-talks-straight-from-his-heart/articleshow/18290094.cms
swethasyam08 thumbnail

TOI: Mona Singh on fitness spree

TNN | Feb 2, 2013, 06.03 PM IST

READ MORE Mona Singh|Kya Huaa Tera Vaada
Mona Singh on fitness spree
Mona Singh

Actress Mona Singh has been garnering praises for her new look in " Kya Huaa Tera Vaada". It is all thanks to a regular fitness regime.

Mona has been following a strict routine these days to keep herself fit amidst her busy schedule.

She goes to the gym at 6:30 a.m. and spends two hours doing quality workout. She follows a healthy diet, which consists of proteins and vitamins, and sticks to a three small-meal formula as instructed by her dietician.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Mona-Singh-on-fitness-spree/articleshow/18306462.cms

swethasyam08 thumbnail

TOI: Mohit Malhotra is Phone happy

By Saadia Dhailey, TNN | Feb 5, 2013, 02.23 PM IST

READ MORE Mohit Malhotra|Macbook
Mohit Malhotra is Phone happy
Television actor Mohit Malhotra says he loved to read a good book on his phone in his free time

There are so many things on android phones, which make it a lot more productive. From the applications to my email, music, camera and surfing are within my iPhone.

Considering I love clicking pictures, a camera with such clarity is the best part of my phone. And whenever I am free, I like to catch up on a good book on my phone.

I recently bought myself a Macbook too. My previous one was almost seven years old, so I thought of upgrading it. However, I am looking forward to buy a new phone, the iPhone 5. When I read of some of its features, I was absolutely stunned - like creating a projection on the wall with the phone as well as a pull out keyboard. I am hoping that all these features are true.

It was a gaming console, which had cassettes for the games. It was gifted bto me on one of my birthdays. I played on it for many years. I think video games do you a lot of good. It helps sharpen your reflexes and makes you competitive. Experiencing the imaginary world is a plus point that can help you think out of the box.

I was so inspired my some games that I wanted a dirt bike. I believed that I could ride this bike anywhere and do all sort of crazy things.

I usually find out about technology from my friends. The Internet is also a blessing, as we can read reviews, compare products and find out the latest about everything and anything!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Mohit-Malhotra-is-Phone-happy/articleshow/18348293.cms

swethasyam08 thumbnail
TOI: Ravi Dubey proposes to girlfriend Sargun Mehta
By Stuti Agrawal, TNN | Feb 6, 2013, 09.08 PM IST

Ravi Dubey proposes to girlfriend Sargun Mehta
Ravi Dubey & Sargun Mehta

Ravi Dubey proposed to longtime girlfriend Sargun Mehta on the sets of dance reality show Nach Baliye-5 yesterday, where the couple is taking part.

On stage, Ravi went down on his knees and proposed in typical filmy style with a solitaire ring, in the presence of both sets of families on stage.

Ironically, the proposal took place on the day the couple performed a break-up act on the song Jeeyen kyun from the movie Dum Maaro Dum.

"Finding the perfect ring for her was a task. Sargun was shell shocked. She had no clue about it. She was happy, dumbfounded, tongue tied. I will always remember her expression," said an ecstatic Ravi.

So how did he pull it through? "I decided all this in a very limited span of time. First I arranged for Sargun's mom to come to Mumbai, who, in turn convinced her dad to also come along. Then I put them in a hotel. Arranging for all this with Sargun being around me 24x7 for the rehearsals wasn't easy as Sargun is extremely sharp. To pull it through was a task in itself," he said.

Asked about his marriage plans, he said that they would get married by the end of this year.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Ravi-Dubey-proposes-to-girlfriend-Sargun-Mehta/articleshow/18370921.cms

swethasyam08 thumbnail
TOI: Rano's idea gets succeed in Kya Hua Tera Vaada.
TNN | Feb 12, 2013, 06.42 PM IST

Rano's idea gets succeed in Kya Hua Tera...
Mona Singh

Rano (Siddi Karwa) makes Bulbul ( Sargun Mehta) to follow her and in that case Bulbul lands up at the dance floor and Anika pulls Vihaan to dance. Everyone spots them and push them to dance with each other. Yes! we are talking about Sony TV's Kya Huaa Teraa Vaada.

In tonight's episode Vihaan and Bulbul looks into each other eyes and the song starts. Eventually Rano feels happy that her idea worked. Bulbul is watching Vihaan's eyes which seem lost again as he remembers Anika.

However, Vihaan says that for the first time he forgot Anika and was just dancing with Bulbul as the song ends suddenly Vihaan see Anushka starring at him and smiling as she says, Waah kya baat hai...he is shocked.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Ranos-idea-gets-succeed-in-Kya-Hua-Tera--/articleshow/18466462.cms

swethasyam08 thumbnail
TOI: TV celebs and their Valentine's Day
TNN | Feb 14, 2013, 12.04 AM IST

'Love is not finding someone to live with; it's finding someone you can't live without.' 'You call it Madness, but I call it Love' and last but not the least 'It is never too late to fall in love'. Wait! Wait! Wait! Why are we talking so much about love? well the answer is its Valentine's Day today, the day of love and the day to celebrate love. Our small screen actors are no were different and are also enthusiastic about the day and had shared their views on this special day.

Hiten Tejwani of fame Pavitra Rishta shares, "I believe in celebrating each and every day as Valentine Day. Hiten and his wife Gauri believes in celebrating each and every moment whenever they are together yet the most memorable moment for him is when he surprised her while she was busy in her shoot and proposed to her in front of everyone. This time he hasn't decided anything but he would like to pamper her by asking her out for candlelight dinner and gift her some spa vouchers. He feels that India is a free country so everyone is allowed to live life their own way. But people should not take any undue advantage of it and it should be celebrated decently and happily. His dream Valentine is none other than his lovely wife.

Mouli Gangully aka Anushka Sarkar in Kya Hua Tera Vaada expresses,"Me and my husband Mazhar are not Valentine's day types. We instead celebrate everything related to love and wish to celebrate it very often then just Valentine's Day"