Poll Question :

Are you satisfied w/ the answers?

Poll Choice
Yup
Nope, they ought to cite their sources
Dunno/Can't say
Login To Vote
Posted: 12 years ago
If it was a previous birth, how was he cursed by Radha? And who was cursed- Sudama or Shridama? 
I have no idea - maybe I didn't follow Arora's question.  Are Sudama's past lives described either in SB or HV?
Hi guys! Not sure how I found this thread, but glad I did :) I'll try to post in more detail later as I'm in between classes, but just wanted to mention that a) the Radha-SHRIdhama curse story from the Brahmavaivarta Puraan does not occur in any past life, but up in the heavens.  That text postulates Golok, a separate level where the deities are forever in their Radha-Krishna forms and regale the best of sagun devotees in whatever form/relationship by which they contemplate on Krishna.

The past life of SUdama, on the other hand, is described in the Satyanarayan Katha which comes from the Skanda Puraan.  The katha also includes narratives of the past lives of Nishaad Raj Guha and Maharaj Dashrath, but the latter differs from other sources that refer to him as an aspect of Maharishi Kashyap so there's some ambiguity/subjectivity there... reader's call, I guess.

Edited:
And finally w.r.t. Parikshit's resurrection, SB doesn't mention it because it tells us that Parikshit was not stillborn - instead, Krishna took a diminutive form and shielded him from the effects of the weapon right inside the womb, deflecting its rays with his chakra. Hence in the early chapters, Parikshit's name is defined as one who is always searching, and it is explained that he is always searching for that figure whose heroism he witnessed as a fetus.
Edited by lola610 - 12 years ago
In today's episode, the last question to the 5-time champion (4-time so far) - Kusum Agrawal - was to match the following that had a mama-nephew relationship.  Here was the combinations

A                                                             B
Vidura                                              Nakul
Shakuni                                          Vikarna
Shalya                                           Balarama

The answer given was correct for 2 of them - Shakuni being the mama of Vikarna, and Shalya of Nakul.

But the third one stumped Kusum, and I found it strange as well.  Are there any texts anywhere that say that Vidura was the mama of Balarama?  In other words, did Vidura have a brother relationship w/ Rohini?  I thought that Rohini's father was one of the chiefs of the various Yadava clans, and that her marriage to Vasudev was more of a matrimonial alliance of that type.  There wasn't even a equivalent status sort of relationship, such as Shalya being recognized as the mama of Yudhisthir as well, or Krishna being recognized as the mama of Draupadi's sons as well.

If one has to connect Vidura to Balarama, the only thing I can think of is Balarama's bua being Kunti, and Kunti's devar being Vidura.  But since when is a bua's devar regarded as a mama? 😕
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
One thing in today's Gyaan Guru that stumped me - the kid who gave the right answer about who saved Shiva from Bhashmasura narrated that Bhashmasura's plans included incinerating all the devas, and marrying their queens.  This is the first that I had heard of it - can anyone confirm whether he was correct?

Aside from that, I thought that kid was brilliant - was a tad disappointed that he didn't advance to the next round.  He got 4 points, but a trick question @ the end got him.
In one of the episodes last week, they had a question about which city was named after Luv, to which the answer was given Lahore.  Who is the original source of this?  In Valmiki, Luv inherited one of the kingdoms of Kosala (maybe Kaushalya's South Kosala), while the area that is Lahore came under the kingdom of Bharat's son Taksha, whose capital was Takshashia (today's Rawalpindi).  Lahore would probably have been a part of his kingdom.
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by .Vrish.

In one of the episodes last week, they had a question about which city was named after Luv, to which the answer was given Lahore.  Who is the original source of this?  In Valmiki, Luv inherited one of the kingdoms of Kosala (maybe Kaushalya's South Kosala), while the area that is Lahore came under the kingdom of Bharat's son Taksha, whose capital was Takshashia (today's Rawalpindi).  Lahore would probably have been a part of his kingdom.

Last night's question on which princess of Kashi did Dasharath marry - Dasharath didn't marry any princess of Kashi (at least not his main 3 queens).  In the PutraKameshthi Yagna, where it describes the roles of his inlaws, such as Bhanuman of Kosala, the rulers of Magadha and Vidarbha are mentioned.  Vidarbha was of course Dasharath's maternal ancestral kingdom - Indumati was from there, so  Sumitra was more likely than not the princess of Magadha.
Posted: 11 years ago
Last night's buzzer question - which of Rama's brother's accompanied him into vanvas?  Are they kidding - asking such a simple question?

The pundit's narrative about the Syamantaka gem - Satrajit was not the ruler of any place, he was one of the citizens of Dwarka, and also, Prasenjit was not killed by Jambavan, he was killed by a lion who stole his gem, and which in turn was killed by Jambavan.  Also, the pundit's explanation of Gandhari's curse - she cursed that the destruction of the Yadavas would happen gradually over 36 years.  While Yadava society did degenerate over that time, the actual destruction of the Yadavas didn't happen until the 36th year.