||Punar Vivah article archieve||

Posted: 12 years ago

"Punar Vivah would be my last show on TV"- Gurmeet Choudhary

Sunday, February 05, 2012 | 10:44:47 AM IST (+05:30 GMT)    447 Comments
"Punar Vivah would be my last show on TV"- Gurmeet Choudhary

Gurmeet Choudhary speaks to Tellybuzz about his last daily soap...

Gurmeet Choudhary, after portraying different roles,right from being Rama of Ramayana to a dashing Maan Singh Khurana of Geet Hui Sabse Parayi, shows no signs of stopping.He continues to explore himself as an actor and takes up a new challenge with his latest show,Punar Vivah.

Shashi-Summit Mittal's Punar Vivah on Zee TVis the talk of the town these days as the creators have brought the concept of re-marriage into the light. Gurmeet Choudhary in talks with Tellybuzz shares his experience with the show. He also clears the air on Geet Season Two.

Before talking about Punar Vivaah, let's talk about Geet Hui Sabse Parayi as it's rumored that the show will make a comeback with Season 2?

Well, if Geet Season 2 was coming back, we would have been informed in Season one itself and as far I know there's no such plan. So I don't think Geet will be returning.

Coming back to Punar Vivah, tell us something about your character in the show.?

As the show puts more light on family and children, the audience would get to see a totally different Gurmeet in the show. I am essaying Yash in the show who is a wedding planner by profession.  I was a happily married man with two daughters but, unfortunately my wife passes away. So now my family has once again arranged my marriage with a girl who already has a son. Being a responsible guy, I too agree on getting married once again, only for my children's sake.

How many episodes have been shot and what is the background of this show? 

The show is based in Bhopal. Though we have not shot in Bhopal yet, we are planning to shoot soon as the show too needs a few locations which could give relevance to the story. As far as the work is concerned, we have hardly completed the first episode as we were busy finishing the promos.

Do you agree with the concept of Punar Vivah?

When two people agree to come together for their family's sake, the decision is always right. Similarly in the show, these two people come together for their family's joy and not for their personal happiness. They have kids who are too small to understand the fact of losing their parents and if they get that happiness, why not? If the husband and wife think that their life would come back to normal after re-marriage, then they should opt for it.

What is the USP of the show?

The show will depict the emotions and feelings of those kids, the couple and the family members as they have already gone through the worst in their lives.They have seen their own marriages, had their kids and after spending great moments with their own partners, getting into other relationship is something to be noticed. Not only for the parents but also for the kids as they too have to accept new parents for life, so this is the USP of the show. And another major thing is that both Yash and Aarti are not ready to get married but for their kids they come together and stay under one roof.

What was the reason to take up this role after essaying Maan in Geet?

Well, each character which has come to me till now, has been a challenge. As I have done Ram in Ramayana and Maan in Geet and if you notice both the characters have vast differences in themselves. So as an actor, I challenge myself. So becoming Yash is just another challenge for me. I think I have never done such a genre and character before. It is a great opportunity to prove myself once again as an actor. Therefore, I immediately took up the role. It was hardly 15 days after Geet came to an end, that I signed up for this show. Normally what happens is that when a show ends, the actors take a break for few months but as the show sounded interesting, I immediately took it up.

What would you like to say about your new look?

Yes, the look is different over all and obviously it has to change as my previous look of Maan Singh Khurana demanded a more rough and tough nature. Yash is a family man with two daughters and has to have his own different look. I have worked on the look and yes, I must say Debina too has lot of contribution to my new look. I used to try different looks in front of her and she used to click pictures of me, giving me suggestions about my new look. Without Debina, I don't even move any card (laughs). I think look matters for any character to fit in.

What is the challenge in this character as you said?

Well, the challenge I would say is the kids. As I don't have kids, dealing with them as a parent is something new for me and definitely challenging.

What was your feeling when you heard that Geet is going off air?

Well, definitely I felt bad but every show has to go off air. The important thing is that our show was not going off air because people did not like it, but the whole channel was going under revamp. The entire channel was changing from Star One to Life OK. And a very nice thing was when Geet ended, the fan following was the same as it was earlier. So that makes me happy. So I think it ended at the right time.

Do you visit Debina's set or does she comes on yours?

In that case, I am very unlucky. Initially, I used to visit her sets but now when I go home, she is on her sets working and when she is at home I am busy with my work. So I don't get time to visit her, though she has often visited mine. But I like her show. In fact, Chidiya Ghar is my favourite show because when I see Debina dancing, acting and doing all those gestures, it feels great.

What is your take on television actors leaving TV for films?

Well, I am doing a few films about which I won't be able to discuss right now but as far as the daily soaps are concerned, Punar Vivah would be my last daily soap on television. That does not mean that I will totally quit TV. I would be open to reality shows, anchoring etc. but this would be my last daily soap

Dishank Arora bags Shashi Summit's another!

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 | 5:57:08 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)    19 Comments
Dishank Arora bags Shashi Summit's another!

Dishank in; Ajay Arya out of Main Lakshmi Tere Aangan Ki...

Its seems Dishank Arora got lucky with Shashi-Summit Mittal's Punar Vivah on Zee TV as the guy after long time came back to small screen and now the latest we hear is that Dishank Arora has bagged yet another character with same production house.

A source quips, " Dishank Arora has now replaced Ajay Arya in Main Lakshmi Tere Aangan Ki and now the guy will essay Arjun's (Sudeep Sahir) younger brother in the show. Things weren't finalized till yesterday but today everything is cleared and Dishank Arora is on the board now."

All our efforts to contact Dishank Arora were in vain.

Well now Dishank steps in Ajay Arya's shoes with Mein Laxmi Teri Angan Kii.

Zahida Parveen replaces Papiya Dey in Punar Vivah!

Thursday, February 09, 2012 | 5:00:11 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)    225 Comments
Zahida Parveen replaces Papiya Dey in Punar Vivah!

Papiya Dey out, Zahida Parveen in for Punar Vivah...

Shashi-Summit Mittal's Punar Vivah is all set to launch this month and with the progress we brought in some changes that took place at the last moment.

The latest we hear is that Papiya Sengupta who was earlier finalized to essay Yash's (Gurmeet Choudhary) mother in the show has been replaced. 

A reliable source informs on the same, "Papiya Dey Sengupta has been replaced by Zahida Parveen last seen in Zee TV's Yahan Main Ghar Ghar Kheli and now would play the role of Yash's mother."

Unfortunately we couldn't contact Papiya Dey(Sengupta) to get a confirmation.

With all the changes in the cast, Punar Vivah is now all set to hit the small screen.

Punar Vivah team caught 'Without a Ticket'!

Saturday, February 11, 2012 | 1:25:15 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)    191 Comments
Punar Vivah team caught 'Without a Ticket'!

After all Mumbai locals aren't that easy to get out of...

It must truly have been an embarrassing moment when the team of Zee TV's upcoming show Punar Vivahstarring Gurmeet Choudhary and Kratika Sengar, was caught without ticket on one of the local train stations in Mumbai. Sounds interesting! Read on.

A source revealing on the incident quips, "Recently, the cast of Punar Vivah had an outdoor shoot at Vadsal and a few sequences were also being shot in a running train at Mumbai Central. Though the production had taken a permission from the Railways to allow shoot for a day at these particular stations, the cast was caught without a ticket."

"Actors such as Chetan PanditSamragyi Nema,Zahida Perveen, Amit Singh Thakur and the director of the show Hemant were about to get down at Mumbai Central, but due to the rush in the train they couldn't and got down at Andheri Station finally. But it seems the day was unfortunate, as the cast was caught by the T.C. as they were found travelling without ticket," adds the source.

"Only after the director asked the T.C. to have a word with the production team who had already taken the permission to shoot, the cast was let go.".

All our efforts to reach Chetan Pandit were in vain while Samragyi Nema confirmed the incident, "Yes that was the funniest incident,t I must say. We all were caught without ticket. The ticket checker also warned us that next time we should be with a ticket, whatsoever might be the reason."

Well, we too suggest that the team follow rules the next time!

"This year, I complete 5 years in the industry"- Kratika Sen

Sunday, February 12, 2012 | 1:15:39 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)    230 Comments
"This year, I complete 5 years in the industry"- Kratika Sen

Kratika Sengar in a talk with Tellybuzz...

Kratika Sengar, a simple girl who came to Mumbai to fulfill her dreams through completing her ad projects and got into small screen industry by chance. After essaying the brave Jhansi Ki Rani in Ek Veer Stree Ki Kahaani Jhansi Ki Rani, the actress will now be seen in a show on Zee TV. Kratika in an interview shares her experiences in the industry, her new show Punar Vivah and much more.

So let's take a look…

After essaying Rani Laxmi Bai, you are back again in a simple, normal character. Why did you take this role?

Yes, I was always seen riding a horse or fighting the British with a sword in my earlier role as Jhansi. But my role in Punar Vivah is that of a normal lady Aarti. No normal actor gets to essay such a prominent and courageous role and that was the reason why I took up Jhansi Ki Rani. As an actor, we have to take up challenges and only then are we recognized through our performance. Same monotonous roles don't make someone an actor. It might make the character popular but as an actor the growth is zilch. So both the experiences are different for me.

What challenges do you found in this role?

Well, as the story suggests, two strange people, who are already married once and have kids, agree to remarry for their family. I believe this is challenging for those two characters of Yash (Gurmeet Choudhary) and Aarti. As actors we have a responsibility of portraying these two characters well so as to convince the audience to accept them. Therefore, it becomes challenging as to how naturally we can execute the feelings of someone who is already married and is now getting into a new relationship.

What is your take on remarriage?

My take on remarriage is very much positive, Just as the people in this industry say that the show must go on, I believe that we live only once and that there is no use of crying on something we can't control.Though it's very hard to actually do it but I suggest that one should move in his or her life or else they would miss out on so many things. And I believe on the saying, which is very important in today's world that, one should move on. We are already in the 21st century and have moved forward in our thinking. So remarriage for me is very positive.

What kept you busy in the break once Jhansi Ki Rani got over?

Actually, our shoot for Jhansi Ki Rani was not in Mumbai. It was shot in the outskirts of Karjat so perpetually; I used to stay in Karjat only. My kitchen, my house, everything was in Karjat and in the meantime I missed out on a lot of things. I have broken my social circle in Mumbai.I haven't met parents and my cousins for long. I have missed out on one of my close cousin's wedding. So in these 6 months I was just catching up with my friends, Meeting people, roaming here and having fun.

Will Aarti and Yash fall for each other?

That's what the show is about. They come together not because they love each other but just because their kids need parents. Initially, both will obviously feel awkward as they are still in love with their respective husband and wife. But eventually circumstances and bonding would bring them together. Kids too, initially would not accept their new parents but things will get sorted out the time.

Do you think the concept is somewhat similar to Colors' Na Bole Tum Na
Maine Kuch Kaha?

Well, it might be a mere coincidence but nonetheless, a tough competition!

How is your rapport with your co-actor Gurmeet?

He is a very positive and nice guy. His wife is very nice as I have met her and we are friends now.I know he has a crazy female fan following.

Tell something about your character in this show?

Aarti is a very positive and simple girl. She is a housewife and loves her in-laws a lot and that's the reason why they are getting me married to someone else when their own son leaves me alone. They never take his side and treat me as their own child. She takes life as it comes. She cries, she feels bad when her husband leaves her alone and goes but she never lets out her pain in front of her in-laws.

Will her husband come back in her life?

The past has to return as I've now hurt his ego. He comes back to counter question
me about my remarriage.

Tell us something about your journey in the small screen industry?

Well, I've completed 5 years in this industry as I started my career with Kasautii Zindagii Kay, after which I did a few reality shows, followed by Jhansi and now Punar Vivah. I am so blessed to be in this industry and in this city. I came to Mumbai to just complete a project and one of my friends took me to an audition.

Any future projects lined up?

I live in the present. So right now my priority is Punar Vivah.

Zee bounces back

As a brand, Zee looks more vibrant and promising. Ratings have started following. There is every possibility that we will surprise on the upside - Sukesh Motwani, Zee's Fiction Head

Staying above 200 GRPs changes market perception, if not viewer's perception. It is better to be a poor no. 3 than a number 4 channel because the top three podium counts a lot - Sanjay Upadhyay, Senior Programming Analyst

After the free fall in the last leg of second half of 2011, Zee seems to have reversed its southward journey. The channel, which was reaching new lows, has started adding numbers to its falling audience share. From a low of 139 GRPs in week 42 (TAM data, October 9 to 15, 2011), Zee has gradually inched its way up in the last eight weeks and has added around 40 GRPs to its tally. With an average 180 GRPs for the last four weeks, Zee has retraced almost 50 per cent of the lost ground from 220 GRPs it scored on the higher side in April last year and 139 in October. Technically at least, Zee has stopped the slide.

However, have the fundamentals of the channel changed? Has its shows started delivering numbers? The answer is no. Most of Zee's older shows are getting more or less same ratings as before, while some have gained a little. However, its new launches are helping the channel put a better show. Hitler Didi, which replaced non-performing Shobha Somnath Ki at 8 pm, is best of the lot. It has helped Zee arrest the slide and has been consistent at 2.5-plus TVR. Dance India Dance has livened up the channel's weekend band and Afsar Bitiya at 1.7 TVR has added to the growth of its 7 pm slot. "As a brand, Zee looks more vibrant and promising. Ratings have started following. There is every possibility that we will surprise everyone," says Zee's Fiction Head, Sukesh Motwani.

Zee is hoping that the immediate upside will come from Punar Vivah, a mature story on remarriage between a widower and divorcee, which is in line with the current crop of shows at late prime time. Motwani doesn't deny that Punar Vivah holds a lot of promise and will help grow Zee's 10.30 pm slot, currently occupied by Bhangowali Bante Apni Taqdeer. Currently, Bhangowali is struggling with just 0.8 TVR. Even if Punar Vivah opens around 2 TVR it will add a decent 10 to 12 GRPs, which will help Zee stabilise around 185 to 190 GRPs. And if all other shows contribute some more, there is a possibility that Zee might cross the 200-GRP mark.

However, does that change the fundamental picture? According to a senior marketing analyst, it does in some ways. He explains, "In the last quarter of 2011, the issues with Zee were distribution and content, which caused the fall. Now the distribution issue has been sorted out and the content is looking fresh with the launch of Hitler Didi and Afsar Bitiya. Punar Vivah will be an added attraction and more refreshing. Even if the channel doesn't grow dramatically, it looks very unlikely to go down from current levels." In such a scenario, consolidation will be a big positive for growth once Zee is ready with two more fiction launches in March and April. "We are all set to surprise everyone," promises Motwani.

Will that change the reality? In some ways it will, says senior programming analyst Sanjay Upadhyay. "Staying above 200 GRPs changes market perception, if not viewer's perception. It is better to be a poor number 3 than a number 4 channel because the top three podium counts a lot," he adds. However, in Upadhyay's opinion, it doesn't change the fundamental picture. He elaborates, "The rebuilding process has started but Zee has still not redefined its brand positioning. In marketing terms it might have distinct branding but in content the road is still foggy. The stark differentiation, which used to be there earlier, has been diluted. With too many GECs in the fray, the gap in content differentiation has been reduced."

Since the fundamentals of TV have changed completely in the last 10 years, Upadhyay says it is going to be difficult even for a channel with the longest history and legacy to stand out. "You are not different unless you are radically distinct," he adds.

However, in the immediate future, Colors' current woes will be Zee's delight. "By default, if not by design, Zee seems poised to grab the third slot," feels Upadhyay. For several weeks, Colors has stagnated in 200-210 GRP zone. Events, movies and award functions have been its saving grace for major spikes. If Colors continues to be where it is, Zee competing strongly with Colors for the number 3 slot seems a possibility. Despite repeated attempts, Colors officials were unavailable for comment.

P.S I love you

Chaya Unnikrishnan Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 1844 hrs IST

We are going beyond the usual prototypes and not pegging stories on a 16-year-old or a 40-year-old. The concept is bigger than the age and the good thing is broadcasters are showing courage in telling stories that are off the beaten track - Sukesh Motwani, Fiction Head, Zee

N a umra ki seema ho, na janma ka ho bandhan, jab pyaar kare koi, toh dekhe keval man, crooned Raj Babbar lovingly to Anita Raaj in Prem Geet. Those lines are being revisited and reiterated on the small screen with half-a-dozen primetime soaps playing out unusual romances, age and status no bar.

Bade Acche Laggte Hai leads the pack with a love story between a 40-plus Ram Kapoor and a 30-plus Sakshi Tanwar. Kuch Toh Log Kahenge has Mohnish Bahl in love with a girl, half his age. There's Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha that has a single mother of two kids attracted to a commitment-phobic bachelor. The latest is Kya Hua Tera Vaada, in which a couple married for 10 years and with three children, is trying to rekindle the lost spark between them. Soon a show called Punar Vivah, which will see a divorcee with a daughter giving life a second chance by marrying a widower with two kids, is coming up on Zee. Also, Imagine TV as part of its revamping exercise has just launched a show Mi Aaji Aur Saheb wherein the owner of a house loses his heart to the granddaughter of his housemaid, who needless to say is much younger than him. And there's Pyar Ki Naukari, which for a change, has the heroine (Aamna Shariff making a comeback to telly) falling in love with a younger guy played by Yashdeep Nain. Long ago, there was a serial Astitva - Ek Prem Kahani on similar lines that was quite popular on Zee and more recently they had Karol Bagh 12/24 with the same concept of older girl-younger guy romance.

Clearly, makers and broadcasters are moving away from the usual teenybopper romances and the staid boy-meets-girl love story. Says Sukesh Motwani, Fiction Head, Zee, "We are going beyond the usual prototypes and not pegging stories on a 16-year-old or a 40-year-old. The concept is bigger than the age and the good thing is that broadcasters are showing courage in telling stories that are off the beaten track." He cites the example of Punar Vivah, which according to him, gives a new dimension to romance. "The heroine is only 25, while the hero is 29. However, unlike the regular couples seen on TV, the girl has already gone through a messy divorce and has a daughter, while the hero is a widower with a couple of kids. He, however, has had a happy marriage and is still coping with the tragedy of losing his wife. So, when these two get married, they are carrying a lot of baggage with them and yet are giving themselves a second chance. There is a lot of fear and trepidation in both that makes for a sensitive tale."

It's a similar story but with a twist in Colors' Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha. Here the heroine is a widow with two children while the hero is a carefree bachelor and sparks fly between them. As Sudhir Mishra, producer of the show, says, "Love stories are all around us in real life. They have a universal appeal but it is we, as producers, who decide 'whose' story to tell and 'how' to tell it. We tell it in a sensitive, mature way that makes the romance unusual."

Prashaant Bhatt, Fiction Head, Colors, however points out that the concept of mature romances is not new to television. "We have witnessed many such shows in the past, especially in the late '90s," he reasons but avers that the concept is making a comeback, Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha being a case in point. Sony, which has been at the forefront in introducing unusual romances in recent times with Bade Acche..., has lately launched Kya Hua... about a 10-year-old married couple trying to bring back romance in their lives. However, Danish Khan, Vice-President, Marketing, Sony denies that Kya Hua... is a love story. "It's not a love story but a social drama, wait and watch," he says mysteriously. It's a different thing that the promos of the show have been suggesting the rekindling of lost romance between the lead pair Mona Singh and Pavan Shankar!

One thing is for sure, there's a spurt of serials with unconventional relationships. As Rajan Shahi who is producing Kuch Toh.. points out, "Somewhere the template of the boy-girl romance with family issues has got saturated. Makers are working at presenting different relationships that are close to life. It makes for a fresh storyline and presentation, which becomes the USP." Agrees Bhatt, who says the entire concept is very slice of life. "We see people of different age groups falling in love. With our constant attempt to bring relatable content to the audiences, mature love stories become an integral part of the content mix," he reckons.

The audience also gets a thumbs-up from the makers for propelling the change. Says Motwani, "Viewers have been rejecting us. Their levels of tolerance for the usual stuff has reduced drastically, which is why we have no option but to bring novel concepts." Even Mishra credits the audience for the fresh programming mix. "We want to tell the audience a 'different story', and they are game for it. Three cheers to the audience for that," he says, raising a toast.

Gurmeet Choudhary turned designer for Punar Vivah!

February 14 at 04:50pm
The ardent fans of Gurmeet Choudhary aka the business tycoon Maan Singh Khurana from Geet Hui Sabse Parayi are eagerly waiting for his new show Punar Vivah to be aired on Zee TV.

In the last show, we saw Gurmeet playing a rich and super serious business man whereas in Punar Vivah he will be a complete different man. As heard, Gurmeet is the one who has designed his casual looks in Punar Vivah. Talking about his new role as a designer for the show Gurmeet said, "The idea behind having a different look in Punar Vivah was to create a difference between the two characters. I try my best that every character I play looks different from one another".

Further on being asked about Geet and the fan following he has earned from the show Gurmeet added, "I think in my case, I have been very lucky as my popularity was never restricted. Even after Geet was wrapped, I got innumerable mails from my fans. Most of the shows go off-air when the numbers start falling, but with Geet it was a different story, altogether. Since the channel was undergoing a facelift, it was called off

Well, you are right Gurmeet and we do hope that Punar Vivah repeats the success of Geet!

http://www.bolegaindia.com/gossips/Gurmeet_Choudhary_turned_designer_for_Punar_Vivah-gid-10423-gc-16.html

Shagufta Ali in "Punar Vivah"

Upasana Mantri, TNN Jan 28, 2012, 12.38PM IST

She has been a popular face on Indian television for over 15 years, and now a versatile actress , Shagufta Ali is all set to play a part in daily soap ' Punar Vivah'.

Starring Kratika Sengarand Gurmeet Chaudhary, the show sensitively captures the dynamics of re-marriage, showcasing the trials and tribulations that are a part of re-adjusting to a second life partner

Shagufta's role will be that of a high-flying, big shot industrialist. With shades of grey, her character will be that of the main instigator whose actions will indirectly drive the lead protagonist Smriti (played by Kratika Sengar) to consider the prospect of remarriage. In a world full of people ever ready to criticize, her character will be the one to throw the first stone! The harsh words of this hypocritical, narrowminded person will act as a catalyst and ignite the first flames of remarriage in the minds of Smriti and her well-wishers.

Shagufta told us, "Yes, I have been approached to be a part of the new show "Punar Vivah" and I am eagerly looking forward to playing the character. I think my personality lends itself beautifully towards playing characters with shades of grey, not that I don't enjoy it thoroughly. Let's see how the role shapes up."