Perception - Short Story

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago

The jingling sound of the silver anklets made Raghav lift his right hand for the second round of coffee without shifting his eyesight from the newspaper he was glued to. Instead of a hot cup of the beverage, a chill hand came down upon his shoulder. He lowered the paper to see his wife, Priya standing in front of him with a worried look.

"Why such a long face? No more coffee powder in the house?"

"That is not the problem. Look at Pradeep, he looks so dejected from the time he woke up, hasn't brushed his teeth or washed his face", Priya almost whispered.

"What happened to him?"

"Looks like our colony children had a friendly cycle race yesterday and Pradeep didn't win. He went off to sleep even without having his dinner."

Raghav folded the paper and got up. He walked towards the bedroom, while Priya went back to the kitchen. Eight year old Pradeep sat on the bed, his legs folded and leaning on the wall with a very sad face.

"Good morning champion. Did you have good dreams?" Raghav shook his son's shoulders cheerfully.

"I am not a champion", Pradeep murmured.

"Cheer up! You are always a champion for us." A small smile spread on the little face.

"That was a very weak team, still I lost, daddy."

"You have lost once, so what? You can always win the next time. The secret is not about winning or losing. Whatever you do, you should enjoy doing it."

Pradeep looked at his dad with a little interest.

"Do you know the story of  Lance Armstrong?"

"Isn't he the uncle who went to the moon first?"

"No, that was Neil Armstrong, I am talking about another person."

Pradeep inched closer to his father eager to hear the story.

"First our darling will brush  and have his milk, then daddy will tell the story", Priya interrupted gently, walking in with a tray of hot beverages.

Pradeep dutifully did his mother's bidding.

Raghav began, "Armstrong is an American cyclist. He is the only person who has won the most difficult 'Tour de France' cycling championship seven times. Initially he was interested in swimming, but a sudden interest in cycling changed his life. When his cycling career was just taking off, he was diagnosed with cancer in the lungs, abdomen and brain. After a series of surgeries and chemotherapy sessions he sprang back to his sport with more vigour. It is really amazing to know that his seven titles came after his recovery", Raghav paused. Priya and Pradeep sat spellbound.

"Tiny day to day  issues which gives us immense stress look so small when compared to Armstrong's life. Falling down is never a defeat, but refusing to get up after that is definitely one",  Raghav went on animatedly with Priya nodding her head in agreement.

"Yes daddy, it is really surprising", Pradeep voice was filled with wonder.

The parents exchanged meaningful smiles. Convinced that his son's mood had changed with his inspiring story, Raghav asked Pradeep, "Tell me Pradeep, what have you learnt from this story?"

"Armstrong uncle's cycle tube never had a puncture like the one I had yesterday", pat came the reply.

Raghav and Priya - ???????????????????????????????????????

😲😲😲 🤣🤣🤣 that really was a good one. Again with kids😆 its always like that.

Thanks ⭐️

Giri, super kadhai... I loved the little one's response!!
Thanks hopper ocean and eclat for your comments.

Yes, kids never cease to surprise us 😃
Excellent one giri.  
Giri.. super unexpected  twist in the end..
Good one, giri!  I really needed that laugh!
Posted: 11 years ago
thanks giri for the super short story. 👍🏼