Lalita's take : Updated for 26th February

Posted: 12 years ago
Chapter 1 : 25th Feb

The  video  camera  is  all  set.  Priya  finishes  adjusting  her  bindi  and  looks  towards  Rishabh.

Priya  :  Ho  gaya?

Rishabh  :  Kab  ka  Bhabhi  !  Dekho  na,  Bhai  aap  hi  ko  dekh  rahe  hain.

Priya  looks  at  the  laptop,  sees  a  smiling  Ram  and  gets  shocked  !

Ram,  shouts  :  Rishabh,  don't  you  understand  I'm  looking  for  a  very  important  file?  I  think  it's  probably  not  in  this  room,  tu  study  mein  check  karke  aa.

Rishabh  :  Aur  agar  study  mein  nahin  mila  toh?  Library  mein  dekhu?

Ram  :  Haan  haan,  wahan  bhi  dekh  lena'..ab  jaa.

Rishabh  :  Aur  Bhai,  agar  library  mein  bhi  nahin  hua,  tok  kitchen  mein'

Ram  has  now  totally  lost  his  patience  :  Jahan  marzi  dhoond  le,  bas  tu  jaldi  jaa'

Rishabh  smiles  at  Priya  who  is  blushing  away  listening  to  this  conversation  and  leaves  the  room.

Priya  comes  and  sits  down  on  the  sofa  in  front  of  the  laptop.  She  is  too  shy  initially  to  look  up  and  see  Ram.

Ram  is  also  embarrassed  but  cannot  help  looking  at  her. 

Ram  :  Kal  raat  ko  darr  toh  nahin  laga?

Priya  shakes  her  head.

Ram  :  Kyon?  Did  you  sleep  well?

Priya  :  Nahin  ..  haan  '  matlab  I  slept  sitting  on  this  sofa  all  night.

Ram  :  Why  !

Priya  :  Mujhe  laga  aap  bhi  raat  bhar  flight  mein    baithe  honge  '..  then  stops,  unable  to  continue.

Ram  remembers  the  mall  scene  again  when  Priya  had  sat  beside  him  all  night,  to  keep  him  company.  And  now  this.  He  smiles.

Ram  :  Ab  tum  video  chat  seekh  gaye  ho  na?  Phir  se  Rishabh  ko  bulana  toh  nahin  padega?

Priya  gives  a  mischievous  smile  and  decides  to  tease  Ram  a  bit.

Priya  :  Phir  se  video  chat  ki  kya  zaroorat  hai?  Yahan  toh  file  nahin  hai  '  aap  ne  dekh  liya  na?

Ram  blushes  and  looks  here  and  there  for  some  time.

Priya  :  Rishabh  ko  poochoon  kitchen  mein  file  mila  ya  nahin?

Ram  :  Kitchen  mein?  File  kitchen  mein  kaisa  ho  sakta  ha?  Kaisi  baat  kar  rahe  ho  Priya?

Priya  :  Aapne  last  mein  usse  kitchen  mein  dhoondne  ke  liye  bhi  bola.

Ram  :  Nahin,  maine  aisa  kuch  nahin  bola.  Tumne  galat  suna.

Priya  :  Bola  tha  !  Jab  mein  mirror  ke  saamne  thi,  tab  aap  ne'

Ram  pounces  on  this  remark,  it's  his  turn  now.

Ram  :  Tum  waise  mirror  ke  saamne  kya  kar  rahi  thi?

Priya  bites  her  lip  :  Nahin,  main  toh  bas'

Ram  :  Main  toh  kya?

Priya  :  Kuch  nahin. 

Ram  :  This  is  a  very  bad  habit.  Kal  raat  ko  bhi  tumne  sentence  complete  nahin  kiya  aur  ab  bhi  '.

Priya  :  Kal  raat?

Ram  :  Haan,  jab  maine  bola  ki  tum  chahte  ho  main  tumse  door  rahoon,  tumne  kahan  nahin  '.  tum  chahte  ho  ki  main  hamesha  tumhaare  '.  phir?  Bolo  na.  Aur  ab  '  mirror  ke  saamne  kya?

Priya  pretends  to  get  angry  :  Main  laptop  bandh  kar  rahi  hoon.  Mujhe  aapse  baat  nahin  karna.

Ram  :  Pakka?  Baat  nahin  karna  chahte  ho  na?

Again  Priya  is  in  a  fix.  How  could  she  give  answers  to  direct  questions  like  this?

Just  then,  Daadi  and  Rishabh  enter  the  room.

Daadi  :  Priya  puttar,  mujhe  bhi  na  Golu  se  baat  karni  hai.Kal  woh  mere  se  mile  bagair  chala  gaya,  mujhe  bahut  gussa  aaya.

Priya  :  Aayie  na  Daadi.  She  gets  up  and  makes  Daadi  sit  on  the  sofa.

Ram  has  already  heard  Daadi  and  is  ready  :  Sorry  Daadi,  kal  main  bahut  jaldi  mein  tha.

Daadi  :  Aisi  kya  baat  ho  gayee  Golu  ki  tujhe  iss  tarah  America  jaana  padha?

Ram  :  Woh  Ma  ne  bola  ki  yahan  kuch  distribution  problems  hain.  Par  abhi  yahan  aake  toh  aisa  koi  problem  sunne  mein  nahin  aaya.  Maine  thodi  der  baad  meeting  bulaya  hai.

Rishabh  also  hears  this  and  is  puzzled.  He  remembers  the  scene  the  previous  day  morning  when  his  mother  had  tried  to  delay  Ram's  going  to  drop  Priya  to  her  coaching  classes.  A  little  suspicion  enters  his  mind.

Daadi  :  Thik  hai,  puttar.  Tu  jaldi  kaam  khatam  kar  le  aur  wapas  aa  jaa.  Dekh,  meri  Priya  puttar  ek  hi  din  mein  kaise  sookh  gayee  hai.

Priya  blushes  even  harder  hearing  this.  Ram  is  also  smiling.  He  can  see  Priya  standing  beside  Dadai  but  cannot  see  her  face.

Daadi  :  Chal  puttar,  tu  kaam  kar  le.  Le  Priya,  yeh  bandh  kar  de  aur  mere  saath  chal.

Rishabh  helps  to  switch  off  the  laptop.  Ram  is  sad  that  he  couldn't  see  Priya  once  more  but  there's  nothing  he  can  say  to  Daadi.  He  gets  back  to  work.

Priya  follows  Daadi  and  Rishabh  to  Daadi's  room.  They  spend  a  lot  of  time  talking.    Ram's  words  about  apparently  there  being  no  problem  in  US  puzzles  her  too  and  like  Rishabh,  her  mind  also  starts  going  in  a  certain  direction.  After  much  deliberation,  Priya  decides  to  let  know  Daadi  about  her  meeting  with  Krishnaji  and  Apeksha.  She  knew  Daadi  adored  Ram  and  if  Ram  was  angry,  Daadi  might  be  angry  with  her  too.  But  Priya  needed  to  know  certain  answers.    She  opens  up  totally  and  shares  all  details  with  Daadi,  about  meeting  Apeksha  in  Australia,  and  Krishnaji  in  Mumbai  .  She  reveals  all,  including  her  last  fight  with  Ram  in  Australia.  She  keeps  on  looking  at  Daadi's  face  trying  to  read  her  expression  but  Daadi's  face  is  deliberately  blank.  Finally  she  finishes  talking.

Daadi  :  Shukar  hai  puttar,  tune  mujhe  yeh  sab  bataya.  Tujhe  ek  baat  batau?

Priya  :  Haan  Daadi

Daadi  :  Main  chahti  thi  ki  tu  Krishna  se  mile,  isi  liye  maine  tum  dono  ko  Australia  bheja  tha.

Priya  is  zapped  :  Daadi,  aapko  pata  tha  ki  woh  log  Australia  mein  rehte  hain?  Aapke  saath  unka  contact  hai?

Daadi  :  Haan  Priya.  Par  tu  yeh  baat  na,  Golu  ko  mat  batana.  Woh  na  bahut  gussa  karega.

After  Priya  questions  her,  Daadi  reveals  all  details.  She  describes  Krishna  as  an  upfront,  dignified  and  loving  woman.  She  has  no  clue  as  to  what  exactly  happened  and  no  one,  not  her  son  or  grandson  or  daughter  in  law  had  told  her  anything  at  the  time  of  the  breakup.  She  still  spoke  to  Krishna  around  once  in  a  month  and  kept  her  updated  on  Ram.   

Priya  explains  what  Krishnaji  had  said  about  people  surrounding  Ram  at  all  times  and  misleading  him.  At  that,  Daadi  clams  up  and  like  Krishnaji  refuses  to  discuss  it.

Daadi  :  Priya,  tu  mera  Golu  se  pyaar  karti  hai  na?

Priya  blushes  and  doesn't  reply.

Daadi  :  Tujhe  kuch  bolne  ki  zaroorat  nahin  puttar.  Mujhe  sab  pata  hai.  Aur  mujhe  yeh  bhi  pata  hai  ki  mera  Golu  bhi  tere  se  bahut  pyaar  karta  hain.  Par  woh  yeh  baat  khud  nahin  samajhta. 

Tears  fall  down  Daadi's  face  and  she  continues  :  Priya,  usne  bahut  himmat  se  yeh  pichle  30  saal  akele  jiyaa  hai.  Uske  kisi  baat  pe  bura  mat  maan  na  beti,  nahi  gussa  karna.  Mera  Golu  dil  ka  bahut  accha  hai.

Priya  hugs  Daadi  and  makes  her  stop  crying  :  Aap  chinta  mat  karna  Daadi.  Hum  sab  hain  na.  Aap  hain,    Rishabh  hai,  main  hoon.

Daadi  then  amazingly  repeats  the  same  thing  that  Krishnaji  had  said.  That  a  time  would  come  when  Ram  would  trust  Priya  and  only  Priya  in  his  whole  life.  Then  it  would  be  time  for  her  to  discover  the  truth  herself  and  also  acquaint  Ram  with  the  truth. 

Daadi  also  adds  that  inspite  of  Priya  being  an  ideal  wife  and  companion,  a  mother's  essence  could  never  be  substituted  by  anyone  else  in  the  whole  world.  Ram  would  need  to  get  his  real  mother  back  into  his  life  to  be  able  to  completely  get  out  of  his  shell  and  live  a  normal  life.

Priya  :  Haan,  Daadi.  Par  aap  hume  help  karenge  na?  Aap  kabhi  hume  chodke  Amritsar  toh  nahin  chale  jayenge?

Daadi  :  Main  kahan  jayoongi?  Main  Golu  ke  bachche  dekh  kar  hi  chain  se  jee  sakti  hoon'  Aur  Priya,  tujhe  pehle  batana  chahiye  tha  ki  tera  honeymoon  ladai  jhagde  mein  khatam  hua.    Tu  phir  kahin  jaana  chahti  hai  ?  Main  Golu  se  baat  karoo?

Priya  :  Nahin  Daadi  '  bahut  kaam  hai  unke  paas  ..  aur  mere  bhi  classes  hai..

Daadi  :  Thik  hai'  kabhi  jaana  hoga  aur  Golu  tera  baat  na  mane,  toh  mujhe  batana.

Priya  smiles,  nods  her  head  and  goes  back  to  her  room.

Her  phone  is  lying  on  the  bed.  She  picks  up  the  phone  and  sees  one  unread  message.  From  Ram.

Message  :  Pink  mera  favourite  color  hain.

She  blushes  and  smiles  and  looks  at  the  photo  frame  on  the  bedside  table.  Ram  seemed  to  smile  at  her  from  his  snap.

New  York

Ram  finishes  all  his  meetings  and  is  ready  to  go  back  to  the  hotel.  Just  then  his  phone  rings.  Its  Vikram.

Ram  :  Haan  Vikram.  Bol.

Vikram  :  Kya  ho  raha  hai?  Kya  problem  hua  tha?

Ram  :  I  don't  know  Vikram.  Apparently,  there  does  not  seem  to  be  any  problems  in  the  distribution  schedule.  Haan,  in  a  way  its  good  that  I've  come'  there  were  a  few  things  I  wanted  to  put  in  place  here  but  '

Vikram  :  Tune  Niharikaji  se  poocha?  Who  had  called  her  up  and  everything?

Ram  :  Nahin,  maine  baat  nahin  ki.  Woh  main  wapas  aake  baat  kar  loonga.

Vikram  :  Kab  aayege?

Ram  :  I  was  thinking  '  since  I'm  here,  I  might  as  well  spend  a  week  and  go  over  everything  in  detail.

Vikram  :  That  someone  else  can  also  do,  Ram.  Monitor  everything  and  give  you  a  detailed  report. 

Ram  ::  Haan,  par  '.  Anyways,  yeh  bata  '  Neha  gayee  thi  Priya  ke  saath?  Woh  doctor  ke  paas?

Vikram  :  Haan,  par  Neha  keh  rahee  thi  ki  doctor  kahin  conference  ke  liye  bahaar  gaye  hain,  so  that  is  postponed  for  one  week.  But  how  come  you  don't  know?  Didn't  you  speak  to  Priya?

Ram  :  Haan,  ek  baar  baat  hui  thi  par  ..  woh  Daadi  aa  gayee  thi  aur  woh  Daadi  se  baat  karke  video  chat  bandh  ho  gaya.

Vikram  :  Toh  ab  tu  Priya  se  phone  pe  baat  nahin  kar  sakta?  Matlab  bina  dekhe'.?  Hmmm..

Ram  :  Tu  phir  shuru  ho  gaya?

Vikram  :  Ram,  sach  mein  ek  baat  bata.  Tu  Priya  se  door  jaake  dukhi  nahin  hain?  You're  not  missing  her?

Ram  :  Arre  yaar,  she's  my  friend.  Of  course  I  miss  her.

Vikram  :  I  am  also  your  friend  Ram.  I  don't  remember  you  asking  me  to  come  on  a  video  chat  with  you  even  once  in  so  many  years?

Ram  :  Tu  kehna  kya  chahta  hai?

Vikram  :  Ram,  ab  baat  ko  samajh  ne  koshish  kar.  Try  and  analyse  what's  going  on  inside  you.  Tere  ko  har  waqt  Priya  ki  yaad  aati  hai  na?

Ram,  after  some  time  :  Haan.

Vikram  :  You  see  her  everywhere  around  you,  feel  her  presence  all  around  you,  don't  you?

Ram,  again  after  some  time,  softly  :  Haan.

Vikram  :  Aisa  kyon  hota  hai  tere  saath?  Tujhe  kya  lagta  hai?

Ram  :  Maybe  because  she's  my  friend?  Haan  thik  hai,  tu  bhi  mera  friend  hai,  par  tera  apna  bhi  ek  life  hai.  Par  Priya  has  no  one  other  than  me  and  I  also  have  no  one  other  than...

He  stops.  He  cannot  say  anything  more  than  this.  Slowly  the  essence  of  what  he's  saying  gains  clarity  in  his  mind.  Slowly  the  dark  mass  of  cobwebs  seem  to  be  clearing.  There's  a  glimmer  of  light  somewhere.  A  few  things  makes  sense.  Why  both  he  and  Priya  get  embarrassed  by  certain  things  they  say  to  each  other.  Why  they  blush  at  certain  times.  But  '  was  it  possible?  To  fall  in  love?  At  this  age?

Vikram  :  Dekh  Ram.  I'll  just  explain  one  thing  to  you.  Yes,  love  does  happen  between  people  after  they're  married.  Hote  hote  pyaar  ho  hi  jaata  hai.  Par,  tere  aur  Priya  ke  case  mein,  yeh  "pyaar  ho  hi  jaata  hai"  wala  sentence  applicable  nahin  hai.  From  the  first  time  I  met  Priya,  I  realized  what  a  special  person  she  is  and  how  similar  she  is  to  you.  Both  of  you  have  the  same  set  of  principles,  same  set  of  values  and  the  same  loneliness  in  your  lives  for  the  same  reason.  Ram,  if  you  had  got  married  at  this  age  to  anyone  other  than  Priya,  you  would  still  have  accepted  that  person,  made  her  comfortable  and  done  your  duty  to  her.  Like  you  do  your  duty  to  everyone  around  me.  Par  Priya  ke  case  mein,  there's  something  different  Ram.  You  explain  to  me  why  and  how  in  half  an  hour  you  were  all  right  and  ready  to  be  discharged  from  the  hospital  on  the  mehendi  night  after  Priya  came  and  sat  with  you?  Ram,  she's  been  special  to  you  from  the  very  beginning.  Samajh  iss  baat  ko.  Close  your  eyes.  Relax.  And  think.  Why  did  I  hear  that  special  "Helllooo"  when  you  were  in  Australia?  Why  do  you  want  to  see  her  face  and  chat  when  you  just  left  her  one  day  back?  Why  did  you  try  to  fulfill  all  her  wishes,  as  weird  as  they  may  be?  Why  do  you  want  to  make  her  happy?  Why  does  her  happiness  bring  you  happiness?  Why  did  you  not  take  a  medicine  even  when  you  were  in  great  pain  just  because  you  didn't  want  to  break  your  promise  to  her?  Why  Ram?  Why  did  the  thought  of  losing  her  during  the  cancer  scare  terrify  you  so  much?

Close  your  eyes  Ram.  And  like  we  close  our  eyes  and  remember  God,  close  your  eyes  and  pray  to  God  to  help  you  see  the  image  of  the  person  who's  such  an  integral  part  of  you.  Close  your  eyes  with  the  same  intensity  as  when  you  pray.  Ram,  your  relationship  with  her  as  pure,  as  beautiful,  as  meaningful  as  the  relationship  one  has  with  God.  Understand  it,  Analyse  it.  You  have  surrendered  yourself  totally  to  her.  Feel  it.

Ram  remembers  Priya's  words  at  the  Maharshtra  Gujarat  border  when  she  had  said  that  she  was  experiencing  a  sensation'  "jaise  pyaar  mein  hota  hai,  jaise  ibaadat  mein  hota  hai".

Ram  disconnects  the  call.  Yes,  he  thinks  '  some  of  the  things'  no  rather  most  of  the  things  Vikram  said  made  a  lot  of  sense.  At  the  airport,  he  seemed  to  see  Priya  all  around.  Sitting  on  that  chair  ...  over  there  '  and  when  he  went  close  ..  Poof!  Vanished.    There  she  was  !  and  there  !  and  on  the  flight  !  He  remembered  with  embarrassment  that  he  had  even  called  his  secretary  "Priya"  a  number  of  times  in  the  past  month.  And  yes,  it  was  true.  Now  Priya's  happiness  meant  much  more  to  him  than  anything  else  in  the  world.  His  business  empire  which  he  had  built  over  so  many  years  and  devoted  his  life  to,  was  meaningless  in  front  of  the  cancer  scare  in  the  last  week.  That  thought  still  terrified  him,  made  him  shudder.  He  knew  he  had  surrendered  everything  of  his.  To  her.  There  was  a  knot  in  his  stomach,  a  pain  in  his  heart  at  this  realization.  Was  it  true?  Could  this  be  love?

He  closes  his  eyes  and  concentrates.  Vikram  had  told  him  a  theory  many  years  ago  when  Vikram  had  fallen  in  love  with  Neha  and  not  realized  it.  He  had  closed  his  eyes  one  day  and  Neha's  image  had  kept  on  coming  back  to  his  mind.  To  haunt  him.  At  all  times  of  the  day.  Would  that  happen  to  Ram  too?

A  minute  passed  by.  Ram  relaxes  back  on  his  chair.  Nothing  happened.  He  knew  now  deep  in  his  heart  that  yes,  Cupid  had  struck  him  too.  There  was  a  sense  of  fulfillment,  a  sense  of  peace.  This  theory  of  Vikram's  did  not  work  but  Vikram  was  right  in  everything  else.  He  was  just  going  to  open  his  eyes  when  something  pink  flashed  though  his  mind.  A  pink  dupatta.  Ram  sat  up  a  bit  straight.  Slowly,  he  could  make  out  the  outlines  of  a  face  behind  the  dupatta.  Slowly,  the  dupatta  moved  away  from  sight.  And  he  could  see  Priya.  Smiling  at  him.  The  love  of  his  life.  Not  only  love,  Ram  realised.  She  '  WAS  '.  his  life.The  reason  for  his  existence.

It  was  time  to  make  another  video  call.  Ram  smiles,  love  overflowing  in  his  heart.

Edited by lolita_lahiri - 12 years ago
That was awesomeee. . very gud writing lalita. please update soo 👏 👏
Very realistic take.. Really hope its this way on Monday.. Thanks lalitha for this lovely treat..
Fantastic Lalita...👏

I m hoping we could see if not like this exactly but something like this

Loved it Lalitha.. Please make the SECOND VIDEO CALL by tomorrow ...😊 ..Update soon dear !
awsome take lalita, very well written. thanks
Lalithaji you are an exceptional writer. Such a fab update. Thank you 
Lalli...I have already said wah wah...this is second time round...Loved reading it again...👏👏
Convo btn vikram n ram ws superb. Lalita u written so wel. Thanks. And another video chat?? Cnt wait, plz continue soon.
Unbeleivable Lalita ... Unbelievably amazing. Outstanding. I hope this happens in every sense of Word. You are such a fine writer. You guys should be professions . PERFECTEdited by -SakshisFan- - 12 years ago